2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Ratings: 2067

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,067 | Reviews: 843 | Show All Ratings:
gregalobeer

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Bells makes better. Not that this was bad, just a bit uneventful.

A: opaque, burnt orange ale, with speckles of yeasty sediment
S: not much at all, definitely weak on the hops, citrusy
T: orange, vanilla, broad strokes of un-accented maltiness
M: very smooth, moderate to low carbonation, full-bodied and creamy; it feels like the body doesn't match the flavor, missing sweetness, or something to fill in the awkward silence of character

I mean, it's not unpleasant, but there's something missing here. I could drink more, but it leaves me wanting ...

04-05-2011 01:49:06 | More by gregalobeer
dmgeng

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tried one of Bell's flagships to harvest yeast for Two Hearted clone.

A - Nice amber color. Strong off-white head with moderate lacing.

S - Malty and sweet nose with a light touch of hops.

T - Strong malty sweetness with notes of caramel. Light earthy hop tone in the middle but is malt heavy. Though slightly unbalanced this amber has everything for the style.

M - Medium mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Mostly clean finish for an amber.

Overall, a very good session beer if you prefer ambers over pale ales or darker beers. The caramel tone is a very desirable flavor and would be a very nice change of pace for anyone stuck in a rut. Used the harvested yeast for an American brown and it came out great.

Glass- Pint

06-12-2013 12:02:18 | More by dmgeng
mattgert

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Very cloudy copper color with nice white head. Very surprised to find little if any smell at all. A touch of citrus and malt at best. Taste: Nice hop punch with malt backbone. Citrus is present. Very drinkable and very smooth. Mouthfeel is excellent with a little dryness in the finish. Carbonation is just a notch higher than expected. Interesting that this is an amber. Has the appearance of most APA's and could easily pass as one. Definitely worth sampling.

10-01-2006 00:56:34 | More by mattgert
Pedro07

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Ah yes, an old standby. Sadly I think I've seen the price of a sixer go up noticably lately.
This one is quite nice and available almost everywhere in W. Michigan.
A- Nice glowing burnt orange/reddish hue, with a one finger whiteish head. Decent lacing.
S- The smell is there, it's decent. Lots of your basic good malts. Hints of hops pop in and out.
T- This one is well-rounded. I get malts up front, malts in the middle, and malts on the back. There is no one point during which the hop flavor comes up. Similar to the smell, it randomly appears.
M- This one is good. It feels like you're drinking a top-fermented, ale beverage.
D- SESSION BEER. This one fits the mold for me. It's got enough taste to satisfy, but a low enough abv. where your not tripping after two!

03-05-2009 00:22:40 | More by Pedro07
dublife1

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Had this on Cask at Tap and Table in Emmaus, Pa. Perfect two finger head and smells of roasted grains and caramel. Taste is so crisp and slightly malty. FANTASTIC!!! Mouthfeel is incredible and so much better than in bottle form. This is a session beer for sure!!! Bell's is no doubt an incredible craft brewer that the USA can be proud of! Well Done!!!

05-30-2009 01:11:31 | More by dublife1
6thomas3

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy caramel with a tight pristine brownish-yellow body, minuet fragments of sediment that are bready in nature dwell at the bottom of my glass and float in suspended animation until my glass is disturbed; head retention is modest with ample lacing as the beverage is consumed, carbonation bubbles excitedly rush to the top with a sense of urgency

Smell - Faint hints of floral and coffee like aromas tickle my nostril; not overwhelming though

Taste - Beautiful blend of malt with an organic coffee snap at the end engulfed in a remnant aftertaste of mother earth

Mouthfeel - Delicate cohesion infused with immaculate uniformity and smoothness entice my taste buds and possess my arm to continue reaching for more

Overall - This beer transcended my expectation and has opened my eyes to the bold and exhilarating world of red ale and I now have a longing for more

04-16-2011 21:12:54 | More by 6thomas3
ninaturner

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Caramel color, somewhat chalky, unfiltered.

Aroma: You can smell a hint of caramel malt and some yeast, but there is little aroma.

Taste: You can definitely taste the caramel malt in the beer. I love the kick of bittering hops at the end. Probably my favorite part of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel; somewhat thick but not too thick--similar to other amber ales.

Drinkability: Mouthfeel and overall flavor make this beer highly drinkable.

Overall: You can't go wrong with this Bell's Amber Ale!

08-14-2012 23:00:48 | More by ninaturner
ellman

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

The Pour: Hazy orange, nice Off White head
The Aroma: Flowery With malty sweetness
The Taste: Good bitterness and slightly sour
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied
Drinkablity: Good Hot Day Lawnmowing Beer,
This is my first review, and its a lot harder then it first seemed.I hope it helpful, coming from the mouth of an amateur.

02-25-2003 15:39:23 | More by ellman
alexhammond

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

my first Bell's product, and what a treat this one was.

the first scents I notice are fruity, with a bit of citrus and hops, all blended together nicely.
in the taste, I'm getting some hints of pear, apple, and maybe some kind of berry flavor. a bit of hops gives it just enough bitterness to balance out the sweeter flavors.

by far, one of the best amber ales I've had, the balance and intensity of the flavors really makes this one unique.

12-25-2009 20:47:10 | More by alexhammond
timn

Kentucky

4.51/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a dark gold / orange-brown color. Very hazy, almost unfiltered in appearance. A small amount of sudsy head.

S: Slightly sweet, with some hints of malts.

T: Surprisingly complex flavor. Really nice balance of malts and grains, with a nice honey or caramel sweetness at the end. I was pleasantly surprised with the taste.

M: Also a nice mouthfeel. Medium, but with a sort of slick, oily quality to it -- in a good way.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. For an amber ale, it has a nicely complex taste, with a great sweetness to it. I'll definitely grab this one again sometime.

04-17-2013 02:25:08 | More by timn
kc44

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Deep copper hue, a little haze, but a great head that starts out fluffy and then collapses in on itself to stick around and stay thick. Malt and a bit of bread on the nose, I wouldn't mind a little bit of hops and some more complex grainy character. Incredibly delicious beer - the bread shows up here, and so do the hops, the malt doesn't bail. Wow. This beer has a great depth of flavor, and remarkable interplay and balance in the elements of its taste. A real pleasure to drink, decent bodied but doesn't require chewing, carbonated but doesn't try to jump back up your throat. Overall, a terrific example of what basic American microbrewing is at its best. It doesn't need to be crazy hoppy. This is a well-balanced, totally thought out beer. That being said, it is simply not the type to knock your socks off and be a once-in-a-lifetime. That's ok by me -- I'll happily keep this in my mental list of go-to basics for the rest of my life.

03-19-2012 03:28:54 | More by kc44
WillWillows

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Bell's Amber in the bottle. I poured it into a pint jar. Very nice and pours a nice reddish gold with a good head that dissipates. Taste is stronger than other Ambers, such as Abita, and has a better mouthfeel, no backbite. Nice. Two for two on Bells having consumed an Oberon recently. I will be back for this one again, I bought a sixer just in case. The five remaining are in grave danger of a quick disposal.

I am drinking the last one now. I slow poured it into a Mason jar and let it sit for 3 minutes until the head was down and the lacing was left. The taste and the temperature were perfect. This is a fine ale.

10-26-2013 00:26:57 | More by WillWillows
monkeytoe

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance - Orange/amber color with a pale tan head. Medium cloudy. Head is thin with some very light lacing.

Smell – Sweet and malty nose with a mild, citrusy, hoppy smell. Maybe a little chrysanthemum flower smell at the top.

Taste – Solid, malty, toasty taste with a bit of bright crispness from the hops. Finishes with a bright citrusy tang on the tongue that lasts and lasts. Not a lot of middle notes, mostly deep malty sweetness and high, bright citrus.

Mouthfeel – Medium-light mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation to keep the sweet maltyness from being cloying.

Drinkability – Excellent drinkability—delicious with plenty of flavor, but not overwhelming. The long-lasting citrusy finish makes me want more and more: a beer for the long haul.

08-27-2005 23:15:54 | More by monkeytoe
Leebo2007

2.08/5  rDev -45.7%

Very bland beer...the smell (which should first draw you in) is weak and the taste just does not fit. It is almost flat to taste. I was very disappointed! It does have a good color and it may be better in draft form. I am waiting to try other beers in the Bell Brewery Family!

07-13-2007 01:35:26 | More by Leebo2007
carwreCk

Alabama

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance in the light is honey-like and foggy with a creamy head.

Smell is wheaty to me.

Taste is fruity and malty with a bitter end.

Mouthfeel is grainy, not too watery.

Drinkability is good, although the bitter finish could get old for some (including myself).

05-30-2009 02:14:49 | More by carwreCk
Hoser77

Nebraska

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance-Pours a hazy amber color. Thin, whispy off-white head that quickly dissapates. Lacing persists.

Smell-Malty sweet. Biscuit, toast, and bready notes. Moderate floral and spicy hop aroma. Slight fruity fermentation esters. Balance is towards the malt.

Flavor-Very similar to aroma. Moderate hop bitterness that lingers thoughout the experience, finishes floral and spicy. Malty sweet up front, becomes toasty and biscuity towards the middle and end. Slight fruitiness from fermentation. Finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing.

Mouthfeel-Chewy up front, but finishes crisp and dry. A tad overcarbonated. No astringency.

Overall-A very drinkable version of the style. Nothing memorable about it. A classic version of a midwest/east coast amber focused more towards malt than hops. I prefer the hoppier versions of the style. That being said, a very drinkable, full-flavored session all.

04-02-2011 01:50:06 | More by Hoser77
SFNC

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My wife picked this one up for me knowing my love of Bell's, but not knowing that I don't really love Ambers that much. That said this one surprised me pleasantly.

A-Hazy dark onrange with a soft and quickly vanishing head. A little scrim of foam held in there for the duration. Very hazy. My fingers are just shadows in the light.

S-Kind of yeasty, sweet caramel malts, grassy and oddly not unlike some Belgians I have had.

T- Rich and complex malts, clover, well hidden hops, sweet, but not too sweet. There is a light tingle of bitterness in the aftertaste. Overall, a good rich balance of flavors.

M- Thicker than most Ambers that I remember. The tingle of bitterness is nice. Carbonation is just right.

O- I should never be surprised by Bell's, but this is a very good beer that I will try again.

03-28-2014 23:18:14 | More by SFNC
circuitmonkey

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -30%

Not quite sure what to make of this beer. Its the first Amber that I've had that is cloudy, with a little bit of sediment in it. The color is a dark orange. Pours a low/medium head that doesnt last long, aside from the edge of the glass. Taste is a little more bitter than I would care for, but still has decent malt to balance it.

08-04-2005 00:27:15 | More by circuitmonkey
Doughbodyboy

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

it pours a slightly hazy slightly golden amber with a solid head that is hanging around. the malt is solid with a lasting taste. the hopy note is rather light with no real bitterness. it has the right refreshing fell in the mouth. nice and bubbly. i prefer a strong IPA. so this was surprising how good it was to me. i recomend this fine amber ale from bells!

02-20-2012 03:15:13 | More by Doughbodyboy
GrillMeister

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Finally reviewing the last bottle of this beer I have.
Drinking from the bottle, I can see a nice foamy head that lingers after the bottle is open.
Can definitely smell the hops in the beer.Good aroma.
Taste is good. A nice blend, definite hop taste.
This beer is foamy, feels really good.
Drinkability is high. I only wish I had more than one bottle left.
Definitely one of the better amber ales I've drinken.

10-01-2007 22:30:37 | More by GrillMeister
UFGUY2122

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

Let me premise this by saying that I will probably edit this review in the future when I have a fresher beer. As I was searching around Bell's website I noticed that I could look up my beer's batch number. I discovered that my particular beer is possibly old enough to have impacted the taste..

A-cloudy deep orange with a one-inch creamy white head. head disippated shortly after pouring but left nice lacing.

S-bready malts, slight hint of hops if you're really smelling for it.

T/M-smooth and malty up front with a nice balance of carbonation. finishes crisp with the slight hint of hops detected in smelling.

D-Mouthfeel of this beer probably makes it pretty drinkable. However, I am not a big enough fan of the taste to turn this into a session beer.

05-25-2008 01:56:41 | More by UFGUY2122
Kelsiemoeller

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Caramel in color like a light brown, pretty clear

Smell: You can smell a hint of caramel and yeast, but there is only a very vague smell overall

Taste: You can definitely taste the caramel malt in the beer. There is a kick of bittering hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel; somewhat thick, but not too thick

Overall: You can't go wrong with this Bell's Amber Ale!

04-26-2013 18:14:54 | More by Kelsiemoeller
aaronbeach69

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

appearance a dark orange... copper... not dark enought o be "amber". 1.3 fingers head, lace holds to sides of cup pretty well... head is somewhat carmel-white...

smell: fruity with subdued hops

taste: nice bitter aftertaste in the back of the mouth... somewhat of a warm alchohol glow left...tips of tounge tingle between carbonation and alchohol showing through more than expected. However, the mid-taste seems subtle to non-existent...

mouthfeel - a nice mouthfeel... somewhat filling than most pale ales I have had but much less than a hearty IPA...

drinkability - easily drinkable... however a little bit of alchohol jumps out that the ABV doenst' justify...

notes: an ok beer, something I would repeat... but not that I plan to

07-10-2004 03:14:01 | More by aaronbeach69
elephantrider

A: Hazy orangish color, thin head that diappears quickly

S: Sweet, bready, and toasty. Not much hop presence. Very fruity smelling.

T: Alot like the the smell. A little too sweet and fruity for my tastes but finishes dry and crisp.

M: Medium bodied

O: This is not one of my favorite Ambers. I tend to like them with more carmel flavor and a little more hoppy. Still, not a bad beer.

06-06-2011 01:08:43 | More by elephantrider
Hazer115

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A: Murky amber with about a one to two inch head when poured. The head dissipated after some time but there was always some leaving distinct rings on the glass after every drink.

S: Slight hop smell leaves me a bit intrigued.

T: A clean crisp slightly sweet start gives way to a slightly bitter aftertaste reminiscent of an IPA.

M: Smooth and slightly heavy, seems to leave a slight film to chew on and ponder what you've just drank.

O: Overall, I like this beer. While it seems a bit heavy after drinking it, I look forward to having another.

06-23-2011 21:47:55 | More by Hazer115
Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.