Join our email list →

Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001

Amber Ale deftly balances a mixture of toasted grain & light caramel notes with a range of floral, citrus and herbal hop notes, capped by a clean bitterness. This balance of flavors makes Amber Ale quite versatile as a food pairing option, not to mention being rather tasty in its own right. Whether serving as a jumping point to other styles or as a familiar standby, Amber Ale is central to the Bell’s portfolio.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 911 | Hads: 2,873
4.23/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy caramel with a tight pristine brownish-yellow body, minuet fragments of sediment that are bready in nature dwell at the bottom of my glass and float in suspended animation until my glass is disturbed; head retention is modest with ample lacing as the beverage is consumed, carbonation bubbles excitedly rush to the top with a sense of urgency

Smell - Faint hints of floral and coffee like aromas tickle my nostril; not overwhelming though

Taste - Beautiful blend of malt with an organic coffee snap at the end engulfed in a remnant aftertaste of mother earth

Mouthfeel - Delicate cohesion infused with immaculate uniformity and smoothness entice my taste buds and possess my arm to continue reaching for more

Overall - This beer transcended my expectation and has opened my eyes to the bold and exhilarating world of red ale and I now have a longing for more

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

my first Bell's product, and what a treat this one was.

the first scents I notice are fruity, with a bit of citrus and hops, all blended together nicely.
in the taste, I'm getting some hints of pear, apple, and maybe some kind of berry flavor. a bit of hops gives it just enough bitterness to balance out the sweeter flavors.

by far, one of the best amber ales I've had, the balance and intensity of the flavors really makes this one unique.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a dark gold / orange-brown color. Very hazy, almost unfiltered in appearance. A small amount of sudsy head.

S: Slightly sweet, with some hints of malts.

T: Surprisingly complex flavor. Really nice balance of malts and grains, with a nice honey or caramel sweetness at the end. I was pleasantly surprised with the taste.

M: Also a nice mouthfeel. Medium, but with a sort of slick, oily quality to it -- in a good way.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. For an amber ale, it has a nicely complex taste, with a great sweetness to it. I'll definitely grab this one again sometime.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from brown bottle into a pilsner glass
a: a good hazy, rusty orange/gold color. beer is very cold so a gentle pour only yields a small amount of head. minimal lacing and little visible carbonation in the sediment. this is not a clear beer.

s: slight hops with a spicy bit of sweetness, very subtle smell overall.

t: mild but upfront hop bite gives way to a sort of fruity sweet malt taste. oranges and pumpkin bread? quite well balanced with nothing stealing the show. extremely refreshing despite the haze and easily sessionable. very tasty beer. i was expecting more alcohol hotness but thankfully it is not noticeable.

m: soft but full. maybe a little wheaty which i generally don't care for but is nice here. carbonation is present but very subdued. lingering flavors seem to maintain balance with maybe a bit of hop stickiness dominating the finish.

o: my first experience with Bell's Amber was a good one. nice tasty and well balanced beer will not put off anyone except maybe those freaked out by cloudy appearance. not a favorite but definitely glad I tried it!

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance:
great filtered beer. i expected unpasteurized. mildly cloudy. nothing like if it were on Lees

Smell:
sharp but good

Taste:
Really top notch. surprisingly so. great amount of bitter for a neutral Ale. and has a perfect balance of malt and sweetness that is still tastable.

Mouthfeel:
on par with killian's or Sam Adams.

Overall:
A Very Good beer. taste is king to me and this has it. two layers of bitter and sweet. not a bit watered down like Goose Island or Sam Adams hopology.
For what you get though, i felt overpriced. not on any lees, says unpasturized but mine pours very clear.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a very good amber style beer with great flavor. To me an amber ale is a very basic beer that is just well balance with an all around good flavor, and this embodies that. I enjoy drinking this beer in the Fall when is starts to get a little colder outside.

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%

It was a little darker in color then I typically would prefer. The smell was very good, smelled of caramel and a little bit of citrus similar to Oberon. The overall taste was very good, although the alcohol content was a little higher it was very smooth and crisp overall very good.

4.58/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer to ease into a darker beer. The light amber nodes give the beer a toffee and caramel taste. I love this beer with a nice piece of steak with sauteed mushrooms. Highly recommend this beer...then ease into Bell's Two Hearted!

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

smooth, nutty, bitter, hints of caramel. One of their best "food beer's" because it goes with just about everything. This beer got the brewery started.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Deep copper hue, a little haze, but a great head that starts out fluffy and then collapses in on itself to stick around and stay thick. Malt and a bit of bread on the nose, I wouldn't mind a little bit of hops and some more complex grainy character. Incredibly delicious beer - the bread shows up here, and so do the hops, the malt doesn't bail. Wow. This beer has a great depth of flavor, and remarkable interplay and balance in the elements of its taste. A real pleasure to drink, decent bodied but doesn't require chewing, carbonated but doesn't try to jump back up your throat. Overall, a terrific example of what basic American microbrewing is at its best. It doesn't need to be crazy hoppy. This is a well-balanced, totally thought out beer. That being said, it is simply not the type to knock your socks off and be a once-in-a-lifetime. That's ok by me -- I'll happily keep this in my mental list of go-to basics for the rest of my life.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bottle that was bottled on 1/16/13 (Drinking date is 6/6/13) into a Stella Artois Chalice.

A – Pours a one finger off-white head that dissipates leaving only a small about of head around the rim of the glass. Color is burnt-orange that is hazy with quite a bit of partials floating. Some carbonation and a good amount of lacing are noticeable.
S – Very off-putting smell comes off to me. Smell reminds me of baby puke. I can get hints of other smells but the puke smell over-whelms them.

T – Up front malt sweetness. Bread taste in the middle. Nice balanced bitterness in the follow. Leaves a sweet flavor in the mouth. Well balanced beer.

MF – Clean and dry with a decent amount of carbonation.

D – The taste isn’t bad but the aroma really is hindering my enjoyment.

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance - Orange/amber color with a pale tan head. Medium cloudy. Head is thin with some very light lacing.

Smell – Sweet and malty nose with a mild, citrusy, hoppy smell. Maybe a little chrysanthemum flower smell at the top.

Taste – Solid, malty, toasty taste with a bit of bright crispness from the hops. Finishes with a bright citrusy tang on the tongue that lasts and lasts. Not a lot of middle notes, mostly deep malty sweetness and high, bright citrus.

Mouthfeel – Medium-light mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation to keep the sweet maltyness from being cloying.

Drinkability – Excellent drinkability—delicious with plenty of flavor, but not overwhelming. The long-lasting citrusy finish makes me want more and more: a beer for the long haul.

2.16/5  rDev -43.8%

Very bland beer...the smell (which should first draw you in) is weak and the taste just does not fit. It is almost flat to taste. I was very disappointed! It does have a good color and it may be better in draft form. I am waiting to try other beers in the Bell Brewery Family!

3.52/5  rDev -8.3%

Appearance-Pours a hazy amber color. Thin, whispy off-white head that quickly dissapates. Lacing persists.

Smell-Malty sweet. Biscuit, toast, and bready notes. Moderate floral and spicy hop aroma. Slight fruity fermentation esters. Balance is towards the malt.

Flavor-Very similar to aroma. Moderate hop bitterness that lingers thoughout the experience, finishes floral and spicy. Malty sweet up front, becomes toasty and biscuity towards the middle and end. Slight fruitiness from fermentation. Finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing.

Mouthfeel-Chewy up front, but finishes crisp and dry. A tad overcarbonated. No astringency.

Overall-A very drinkable version of the style. Nothing memorable about it. A classic version of a midwest/east coast amber focused more towards malt than hops. I prefer the hoppier versions of the style. That being said, a very drinkable, full-flavored session all.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance in the light is honey-like and foggy with a creamy head.

Smell is wheaty to me.

Taste is fruity and malty with a bitter end.

Mouthfeel is grainy, not too watery.

Drinkability is good, although the bitter finish could get old for some (including myself).

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Brewed date 9/20/12.

A: A mix of orange and light amber. Creamy colored head, leaves nice thick lacing along glass.

S: Citrus, malty with hints of barley and grain.

T: Medium body. Earthy. Light hint of hops, semi sweet

M: Good amount of carbonation, complex mixture of fruit and spice.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Ambers are not my "go to beer" of choice, however, Bells Amber is a easy drinking, anytime beer. Right up there with Alaskan Amber in my book.

I would recommend this beer to a friend.

Cheers

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%

Visual: Pours a clear amber color.
Smell: Malty with light fruit undertones of strawberry and lemon.
Taste: Bitter, smooth beer. A bitter taste of a green caramel apple.
Overall: Average beer that is light on the tongue.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Deep orange, rusty color on this. Good lacing. I had to mark it down because of some "floaties" I have. Not like an unfiltered look... This is floating matter.

S- Sweet and Malty. Not much more to say here.

T- At the beginning it follows the nose. There is a really good consistent bitter backbone here. I enjoy the back-end of the taste ALOT. It's hard for me to describe. It's a heavily caramelized sugar aftertase. much like the aftertaste that I remember from hot fudge.

M- Medium body, maybe leaning toward the thinner side. Carbonation stings on the tongue.

O- At first I was not real keen on this one, but after a few sips, it really opened up for me. This is yet another solid offering from Bell's!

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Finally reviewing the last bottle of this beer I have.
Drinking from the bottle, I can see a nice foamy head that lingers after the bottle is open.
Can definitely smell the hops in the beer.Good aroma.
Taste is good. A nice blend, definite hop taste.
This beer is foamy, feels really good.
Drinkability is high. I only wish I had more than one bottle left.
Definitely one of the better amber ales I've drinken.

3.57/5  rDev -7%

Let me premise this by saying that I will probably edit this review in the future when I have a fresher beer. As I was searching around Bell's website I noticed that I could look up my beer's batch number. I discovered that my particular beer is possibly old enough to have impacted the taste..

A-cloudy deep orange with a one-inch creamy white head. head disippated shortly after pouring but left nice lacing.

S-bready malts, slight hint of hops if you're really smelling for it.

T/M-smooth and malty up front with a nice balance of carbonation. finishes crisp with the slight hint of hops detected in smelling.

D-Mouthfeel of this beer probably makes it pretty drinkable. However, I am not a big enough fan of the taste to turn this into a session beer.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Caramel in color like a light brown, pretty clear

Smell: You can smell a hint of caramel and yeast, but there is only a very vague smell overall

Taste: You can definitely taste the caramel malt in the beer. There is a kick of bittering hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel; somewhat thick, but not too thick

Overall: You can't go wrong with this Bell's Amber Ale!

4.11/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: dark amber color- pretty cloudy
Aroma: toasted caramel and toffee malts
Taste: very soft and fruity with a toasty finish. Nice balance of sweet and bitter flavors.
Overall: This beer is very food friendly- It would go great with some nice red meat!

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

appearance a dark orange... copper... not dark enought o be "amber". 1.3 fingers head, lace holds to sides of cup pretty well... head is somewhat carmel-white...

smell: fruity with subdued hops

taste: nice bitter aftertaste in the back of the mouth... somewhat of a warm alchohol glow left...tips of tounge tingle between carbonation and alchohol showing through more than expected. However, the mid-taste seems subtle to non-existent...

mouthfeel - a nice mouthfeel... somewhat filling than most pale ales I have had but much less than a hearty IPA...

drinkability - easily drinkable... however a little bit of alchohol jumps out that the ABV doenst' justify...

notes: an ok beer, something I would repeat... but not that I plan to

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

A: rich amber color with an off-white head about 1 finger thick spotty lacing down the glass.

S: Malt and Biscuit dominate the nose a slight fruity tone come through as well

T: Bready and Biscuit up front with a slightly bitter and fruity hop finish.

M: Medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation that bites the mouth and is refreshing.

O: Nice beer I can drink this any season and really enjoy Bell's interpretation of this style. I also like the new label

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

A: A bit more orange than amber, cloudy appearance

S: Slightly citrus, not much in aroma

T: Smooth and sweet with a hint of hops, not as hoppy as my usual favorite but clean with little aftertaste

D: Very drinkable, ABV less than expected and even with the shortfall in the hops department I could easily drink more than a couple

Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.