Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This reminded me a lot of the lager, which people have rated lower, but with more of the same. Different from the masses, I really liked the lager (and its malt) but did not care for the amber. The amber is fuller and better balanced, but not special, for me. I did think it was a good beer, however, just not as good as others from Bell's. Maybe if it were more red, more hops, it would be a winner for me.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

Pours a bright golden orange color, with no head or lacing.

Had a fruity, wheat smell.

First taste was an alumminum, then quickly to a wheaty flavor ending woth a slight citrus (orange).

Very crisp and refreshing, perfect mouthfeel.

Could drink these all night long.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

A- Pours a hazy light brown color with a good sized head that leaves a decent lace.

S- Sweet malts, fruity with a light hop back.

T- Pretty simple and kind of bland. Malts and mild hops balance out decently. A slightly sweet taste that is of caramel and a hint of alcohol.

M- Medium in body feels clean and crisp

D- Easy to drink just not a whole lot going on.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

nice, copper colored ale, with a nice, off white head and some lacing.
At first smell, I could tell right away I was in for a treat. Heavy malts hit the nostrills. Caramel malt were detected, sweet and heavy with nary a note of hops. My eyes almost rolled bck in my head from pleasure.
Tatse was big o malts, thick in the mouthfeel with heavy malts of caramel, bready and nice.
Good, good beer1

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

poured decent with one half inch of head. the head settled a little too quickly. small carbonation. color was lighter than expected. the taste was quite refreshing and smooth. felt good drinking this beer. some medium lace on the glass. pretty darn good ale.

suckem up and moven out!

giblet

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - orangey red, hazy with yeast in suspension, good sized off white head. Good bit of lace.

S - caramel malt, mostly clean, not much else

T - juicy caramel malt, low hop flavour (tastes noble), bready finish, clean

M - med full body, but not heavy, medium carbonation, touch of alcohol

D - very approachable (although the yeast chunks might be a turn off to those new to bottle conditioned beer), clean and malty, not in your face.

Well made, but just a basic malty red ale. Nothing wrong with having an approachable beer in your lineup, but it probably shouldn't have gobs of yeast floating in it. My wife will enjoy drinking the rest of the 6-pack, as this sort of beer is right up her alley.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

A: A cloudy amber color with sediment floating around. Thick head with good retention.

S: A bready grain smell with hints of citrus (oranges/lemon). Very vague hints of caramel.

T: Strong flavoring of malts. Not overly bitter taste. Some notes of citrus.

M: Leaves a light crisp taste on the tonuge. Moderately carbonated.

D: A really well put together amber. It is a rich and complex beer that comes together nicely.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Fantastic Amber ale. Poured a huge head in my scooner and lasted till the last drop. Aroma of flowery hops pineapple and as it warms brown sugar. More on the sweet side and could use a bit more bittering hops. When it warms the flavor takes on a more dark malt taste. Overall just awesome for the style.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

At first I was disappointed by this offering. Some others I have had of a similar style are much more hoppy, and thus taste radically different. But this beer grew quickly on me once my taste buds adjusted. I was left with the impression that it is a very smooth, drinkable beer.

It poured a beautiful reddish copper, and the taste snuck up on me. I picked up on the caramel, and a slight taste of hops was noticable as the beer got warmer.

I will need to revisit this beer again, and the aftertaste I am experiencing right now makes me with I had another. The beer is light to medium bodied, so I could easily see this being a session beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours golden-brown with a small head a little lacing. There's some malt on the nose, but I'm not picking up much else.

The taste is, well, an amber. It's nicely balanced with the sweetness balanced off by a hint of hops. At the same time, it's not wildly different than any other amber.

Before tasting the Rush River Amber, I might have said "Yeah, it's boring, but all Ambers are." Turns out that's not the case. So although this is tasty, I'd probably turn elsewhere in the future.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle

Bells Amber pours a slightly hazy orange brown color with a monster of an off white head. Some visible sticking and slow rising carbonation. The nose doesnt jump out at you, i gather a semi sweet earthy/fruity nose with hints of malt subtleties. Nice toasty caramel malty taste. Other tasting notes include burnt wood, rust, cherry, apple and a slight hop bitterness/citrus character. The burnt malt/grainy aftertaste lingers and its probably its weakest point. Its mouth feel on the other hand is definitely its strong point. Perfect carbonation with a medium/light body. I dunno, i wasn't crazy about this one, maybe a bad bottle, maybe im just expecting more out of this brewery, i mean come on HopSlam is nothing short of a work of art. Bells Amber is by no means a bad beer but for its style there are better choices, available in NJ or else where.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

This was my first beer @ Bell's last night. Seeing as it is their flagship beer I might as well give it a shot. I was impressed and delighted, especially after I had tried the Amber ale from another local brewery a few days ago and I could BARELY finish it. This poured a golden copper and had a slight head. The smell was nice and hinted to a great beer. The flavor was complex yet refreshing with hints of many great ingredients. The mouthfeel was nice and its certainly a beer I could see myself relaxing on the deck drinking a 6'er

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a cooper/orange color, I expected it to be a little darker for an amber. A nice creamy off white head formed and then quickly dissipated leaving a good sticky lacing. Decent carbonation.

S - Sweet malt, sort of toasty, and possible hints of toffee. The aroma was mild and nothing special or overwhelming.

T - This is a really smooth and crisp beer with caramel and toffee malts, little hop flavor. Just an overall crisp beer.

D - I hate to repeat myself but these are just so "crisp" that I could see myself drinking this as a session beer. Really enjoyable and not too heavy, more light to medium bodied. After further thought I wanted to add that I think this would be a good beer to introduce someone into the world of craft beers.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

12-ounce bottle poured into a seidel yields a golden amber body capped by a finger of milky white froth with big soapy bubbles that are left scattered when the head settles into a fine film that leaves the merest of fine-bubbled lacing.

Smelling the beer leaves it a mystery...perhaps a little malt and a faint earthiness, but not much here at all.

Taste is pale malty and sweet, with snappy carbonation, a tame minerally bitterness, and a little caramel in the finish. Underwhelming, but light and refreshing.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Pours a light brown/caramel color with a 4 finger head that leaves a decent lace

S: Sweet nose, mostly roasted malts and caramel...overall a sweet smelling beer. Nice and piney hops.

T: Sweet; caramel, roasted malts, hops, and possibly molasses

MF: Clean, not dry, not bitter, good aftertaste, goes down easily

D: Superb, very drinkable, definitely my new favorite session beer during the summer

Acquired via trade from bboven, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright orange/brown color, with a decent-sized white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, citrus and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste is nicely balanced with sweet flavors of caramel and citrus up front. Then a decent hops bitterness comes in quickly. The malt character is hearty. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, mild kick, this is a straight-forward beer with some good substance that is worth drinking for a long time.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

Let me premise this by saying that I will probably edit this review in the future when I have a fresher beer. As I was searching around Bell's website I noticed that I could look up my beer's batch number. I discovered that my particular beer is possibly old enough to have impacted the taste..

A-cloudy deep orange with a one-inch creamy white head. head disippated shortly after pouring but left nice lacing.

S-bready malts, slight hint of hops if you're really smelling for it.

T/M-smooth and malty up front with a nice balance of carbonation. finishes crisp with the slight hint of hops detected in smelling.

D-Mouthfeel of this beer probably makes it pretty drinkable. However, I am not a big enough fan of the taste to turn this into a session beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a deep straw with a nice head, leaving sticky lace all around.

Aroma is of sweet malt, fruity with a light hop back.

Taste is of sweet malt, caramel and honey, fruity with a clover honey hop back. There is a but here, I can't pull out everything.

Mouthfeel is very good, creamy with a light carbonation.

Very nice, I would look for it in a pub.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Batch 8312 - 12 oz. bottle

This pours a dark amber color with a nice head. Smells of sweet malts, with some toffee tones. Tastes pretty good. It has a delicate malty toastiness to it, with a bit of spiciness/pepper taste, and followed by a touch of hops. This is a pretty good amber ale and I definitely enjoyed it.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Amber/copper color, off-white head with less than moderate retention but really good lace.

Nose is of caramel and toffee malt with a floral and citric hops note.

Flavor is similar to the profile found in the nose but the toffee comes out more. There is also a buttery diacetyl note that is not necessaruly bad

medium body, moderate carbonation.

I could drink a few, but my need for hops would make me switch

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a beautiful amber with a frothy foam head with nice lacing from a 12 ounce bottle. Smells of sweet malt with some citrus hop hiding nicely in the background. Taste is smooth sweet malt with some toasty grain and excellent hop balance. Perfectly carbonated and crisp with sweet malt and nice mellow hop balance. Very nice on the tongue. Drinkability is great, very nice amber. probably the best amber ale i have ever had. i could drink several of these. The cool thing is I took a chance with these and bought a whole 6-pack because they were bottle conditioned I figured there was a chance they could be decent. And I am pleasantly surprised! I love it when this happens! Like i said probably the best amber i have ever had. 5 more to go... CHEERS!

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A delicious copper colored ale with a hearty malt flavor that goes down smooth as water.Nice aftertaste and no carbonation gives an enjoyable experience from the moment it hits your tongue to the moment it hits your stomach.Highly recommended I will be buying this ale again!!!!

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a murky amber in color, medium head with spots of lacing. Smell is good and balanced but all I think is buttered bread and toasted caramel. Some grain and light hops. Very delicate and balanced taste. A brief hint of bitterness up front but this is more of a malted amber. Toasted bread and light grain with some sweetness. Good earthy, light citrus hops. Smooth, lightly crisp but almost doughy mouthfeel. Carbonation level keeps it from becoming creamy or full. The hops keep this brew in check but malt flavor is the winner. Very drinkable, session amber. A vacation from the hopped up trend of ambers that seems to be going on, I like it.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass that allows you to see the unfiltered nature of this ale. The color is a cloudy, light amber that is topped off with an off-white two finger head.

The aroma is nice, sweet with a faint hoppy smell. I detect some small pepper aroma and also citrus orange. The taste is very good, well blended malts and hops. The hops come into play at the tail end but are well received. The flavor also has a little pepper kick to it. The MF is medium bodied and very flavorful. Very good.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A-Cloudy,dark bronze with tons of suspended yeast.Creamy tan head,leaves lots of thick rings on the glass.

S-Caramel malt and floral hops dominate the nose.

T-Fruity but not too sweet,very complex.Well balanced between smooth malty flavors and hop bitterness.

M-Good medium smooth mouthfeel.

D-Pretty high on the drinkability scale.This may be the best american amber I've had,usually a boring style in my opinion.

Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.