Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Amber Ale Alström Bros

Well I would first like to point out the Batch Number on this beer being 8231. It was packaged November 14, 2007. I was very disappointed when I found this out.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. This beer had a nice fluffy, off white colored head. The color was very awesome, fading from a light orange to an amber orange at the top. I can definately taste that this beer is almost a year old and it makes me sad that I didn't get to enjoy the full potentials of Bell's. The beer tasted very skunked, so I am going to stop my review here and when I get a chance to try an "up to date" bottle, then I will write a new review.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

This is the last of my haul from the Liquor Loft in Tallahassee.

Pours a nice amber color with some orange tint when held up to the light. A one-finger white head recedes into a light layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. Lacing is not very sticky.

Smells good. There's a solid light hop smell - mostly floral, and some malt aromas, both sweet and bready.

Tastes a little better than it smells. There's a floral taste up front, followed by a sweet malt taste. The taste transforms into a breadier taste with a hint of caramel as the beer warms. A mild amount of bitterness comes through at the end.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's thicker than most other Ambers, and it's almost creamy. Very smooth.

Drinkability is good. This goes down very easily with a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall I was once again impressed by Bell's. Hopefully they'll make their way to GA soon. Until then I'll seek them out anytime I can get my hands on them.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

this beer pours a nice clear amber with a thin pale head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass. the nose is surprisingly full. not sure why i'm surprised, but i am. citrus notes and floral notes abound in the nose. some faint malt notes as well. the taste is agressive but pleasing. this is really a full flavored amber ale. much tastier than i was expecting, consistent with the nose. the mouthfeel is what i expect from an amber ale and i could drink these all night.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Caramel body, 1/2 inch heads, reduces to ring fairly fast. Soapy lacing.

S - Sweet malt and some bread notes. Not much hop here.

T- Good center core of malty goodness. Bitter and crisp half way through swallow, with subtle floral taste and caramel flavors in finish.

M - Medium body, good carb, maybe too much carb for me. Good coating.

D- Definitely sessionable.

3.02/5  rDev -21.1%

Mild malt aroma. Light amber color with a medium thin head, some lacing present. Smooth on the palate with an easy finish. Good flavor kind of boring especially from Bell's. There was a subtle creamy sweet malt presence and the beer is lightly hopped. Nothing great about this "flagship" beer but easily drinkable and pleasant.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Typical 12 ounce bottle, w/o pours typical lighter amber, clear, light tan head, showing better then average retention and then leaving decent frothy lace on the glass. Faint malty, honey nose. Malty brew, smooth and balanced. Middle of the road style, and certainly not my favorites but this one is better then the rest. Balance is the central theme. Fine sessioner.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a hazy orange amber color with lively carbonation that lets thousands of bubbles wisp up to the top to create a two finger off-white bubbly head. Leaves huge sheets of lace down the side of the glass.

Aroma is very much like the smell of baking bread with some hints of caramel malt and floral hops.

Taste starts out with some sweet caramel malt and breadiness then that fades into some citrusy hops with just the right amount of bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and quite smooth.

I was surprised I hadn't tried this one from Bell's yet so I picked up a single and I must say it's quite good. It's not the best ever, but it's very sessionable. It's a very well balanced beer and I think someone who is at the beginning stages of the journey to becoming a hophead might really enjoy this as it's not too bitter but does have a certain kick to it.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours cloudy orange amber color with a small head and a thin ring of lacing.

Scent of malts and hops, a little grainy, and some honey as well.

Taste of sweet malts starts with a nice hoppiness coming in. Simple and balanced, I don't usually like Amber Ales this much.

Mouthfeel is clean and smooth, drinks easy.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

recieved this one in a trade.
Poured a deep amber color with an average off white head, kinda rocky. Nose was malt, hops and that was about all I could take from it. Well hopped and well balanced, smooth. Something was different with the malts, caramel malts and maybe some English malts. Not like most Ambers I had tasted but ok nevertheless.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Color: Cloudy amber color with a thin one-finger head and ample carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet and malty with mild hop bitterness. Light as well. Nothing overpowering.

Taste: Sweet with a decent breadiness. Clean. Smooth. Mild hop bitterness. Seems quite drinkable. Goes down very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Sweetness, malt and mild hop bitterness. Clean on the palate. Breadiness is present.

Drinkability: Clean and drinkable. Unremarkable though. Still a good choice for an amber ale if you're looking for one.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This reminded me a lot of the lager, which people have rated lower, but with more of the same. Different from the masses, I really liked the lager (and its malt) but did not care for the amber. The amber is fuller and better balanced, but not special, for me. I did think it was a good beer, however, just not as good as others from Bell's. Maybe if it were more red, more hops, it would be a winner for me.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

Pours a bright golden orange color, with no head or lacing.

Had a fruity, wheat smell.

First taste was an alumminum, then quickly to a wheaty flavor ending woth a slight citrus (orange).

Very crisp and refreshing, perfect mouthfeel.

Could drink these all night long.

3.27/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Pours a hazy light brown color with a good sized head that leaves a decent lace.

S- Sweet malts, fruity with a light hop back.

T- Pretty simple and kind of bland. Malts and mild hops balance out decently. A slightly sweet taste that is of caramel and a hint of alcohol.

M- Medium in body feels clean and crisp

D- Easy to drink just not a whole lot going on.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

nice, copper colored ale, with a nice, off white head and some lacing.
At first smell, I could tell right away I was in for a treat. Heavy malts hit the nostrills. Caramel malt were detected, sweet and heavy with nary a note of hops. My eyes almost rolled bck in my head from pleasure.
Tatse was big o malts, thick in the mouthfeel with heavy malts of caramel, bready and nice.
Good, good beer1

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

poured decent with one half inch of head. the head settled a little too quickly. small carbonation. color was lighter than expected. the taste was quite refreshing and smooth. felt good drinking this beer. some medium lace on the glass. pretty darn good ale.

suckem up and moven out!

giblet

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - orangey red, hazy with yeast in suspension, good sized off white head. Good bit of lace.

S - caramel malt, mostly clean, not much else

T - juicy caramel malt, low hop flavour (tastes noble), bready finish, clean

M - med full body, but not heavy, medium carbonation, touch of alcohol

D - very approachable (although the yeast chunks might be a turn off to those new to bottle conditioned beer), clean and malty, not in your face.

Well made, but just a basic malty red ale. Nothing wrong with having an approachable beer in your lineup, but it probably shouldn't have gobs of yeast floating in it. My wife will enjoy drinking the rest of the 6-pack, as this sort of beer is right up her alley.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

A: A cloudy amber color with sediment floating around. Thick head with good retention.

S: A bready grain smell with hints of citrus (oranges/lemon). Very vague hints of caramel.

T: Strong flavoring of malts. Not overly bitter taste. Some notes of citrus.

M: Leaves a light crisp taste on the tonuge. Moderately carbonated.

D: A really well put together amber. It is a rich and complex beer that comes together nicely.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Fantastic Amber ale. Poured a huge head in my scooner and lasted till the last drop. Aroma of flowery hops pineapple and as it warms brown sugar. More on the sweet side and could use a bit more bittering hops. When it warms the flavor takes on a more dark malt taste. Overall just awesome for the style.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%

At first I was disappointed by this offering. Some others I have had of a similar style are much more hoppy, and thus taste radically different. But this beer grew quickly on me once my taste buds adjusted. I was left with the impression that it is a very smooth, drinkable beer.

It poured a beautiful reddish copper, and the taste snuck up on me. I picked up on the caramel, and a slight taste of hops was noticable as the beer got warmer.

I will need to revisit this beer again, and the aftertaste I am experiencing right now makes me with I had another. The beer is light to medium bodied, so I could easily see this being a session beer.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours golden-brown with a small head a little lacing. There's some malt on the nose, but I'm not picking up much else.

The taste is, well, an amber. It's nicely balanced with the sweetness balanced off by a hint of hops. At the same time, it's not wildly different than any other amber.

Before tasting the Rush River Amber, I might have said "Yeah, it's boring, but all Ambers are." Turns out that's not the case. So although this is tasty, I'd probably turn elsewhere in the future.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle

Bells Amber pours a slightly hazy orange brown color with a monster of an off white head. Some visible sticking and slow rising carbonation. The nose doesnt jump out at you, i gather a semi sweet earthy/fruity nose with hints of malt subtleties. Nice toasty caramel malty taste. Other tasting notes include burnt wood, rust, cherry, apple and a slight hop bitterness/citrus character. The burnt malt/grainy aftertaste lingers and its probably its weakest point. Its mouth feel on the other hand is definitely its strong point. Perfect carbonation with a medium/light body. I dunno, i wasn't crazy about this one, maybe a bad bottle, maybe im just expecting more out of this brewery, i mean come on HopSlam is nothing short of a work of art. Bells Amber is by no means a bad beer but for its style there are better choices, available in NJ or else where.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

This was my first beer @ Bell's last night. Seeing as it is their flagship beer I might as well give it a shot. I was impressed and delighted, especially after I had tried the Amber ale from another local brewery a few days ago and I could BARELY finish it. This poured a golden copper and had a slight head. The smell was nice and hinted to a great beer. The flavor was complex yet refreshing with hints of many great ingredients. The mouthfeel was nice and its certainly a beer I could see myself relaxing on the deck drinking a 6'er

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a cooper/orange color, I expected it to be a little darker for an amber. A nice creamy off white head formed and then quickly dissipated leaving a good sticky lacing. Decent carbonation.

S - Sweet malt, sort of toasty, and possible hints of toffee. The aroma was mild and nothing special or overwhelming.

T - This is a really smooth and crisp beer with caramel and toffee malts, little hop flavor. Just an overall crisp beer.

D - I hate to repeat myself but these are just so "crisp" that I could see myself drinking this as a session beer. Really enjoyable and not too heavy, more light to medium bodied. After further thought I wanted to add that I think this would be a good beer to introduce someone into the world of craft beers.

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

12-ounce bottle poured into a seidel yields a golden amber body capped by a finger of milky white froth with big soapy bubbles that are left scattered when the head settles into a fine film that leaves the merest of fine-bubbled lacing.

Smelling the beer leaves it a mystery...perhaps a little malt and a faint earthiness, but not much here at all.

Taste is pale malty and sweet, with snappy carbonation, a tame minerally bitterness, and a little caramel in the finish. Underwhelming, but light and refreshing.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a light brown/caramel color with a 4 finger head that leaves a decent lace

S: Sweet nose, mostly roasted malts and caramel...overall a sweet smelling beer. Nice and piney hops.

T: Sweet; caramel, roasted malts, hops, and possibly molasses

MF: Clean, not dry, not bitter, good aftertaste, goes down easily

D: Superb, very drinkable, definitely my new favorite session beer during the summer

Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.