Bell's Amber Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Amber AleBell's Amber Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz. bottle, batch 8897.

A: The pour includes some rather substantial sediment chunks, which were a surprise. Pours a hazy, unfiltered dark yellow-orange color with only minimum head. The look is reminiscent of BBC Steel Rail.

S: Caramel and vanilla-sweet maltiness, slightly roasted. A little oak or dogwood tree floral scents too. Reminds me of Spring/

T & M: Semi-sweet malty, bready character. The mouthfeel is a little thin considering the biscuit-like full taste.

D: Superior to lots of amber ales out there and one I'd gladly enjoy again.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

At first I was disappointed by this offering. Some others I have had of a similar style are much more hoppy, and thus taste radically different. But this beer grew quickly on me once my taste buds adjusted. I was left with the impression that it is a very smooth, drinkable beer.

It poured a beautiful reddish copper, and the taste snuck up on me. I picked up on the caramel, and a slight taste of hops was noticable as the beer got warmer.

I will need to revisit this beer again, and the aftertaste I am experiencing right now makes me with I had another. The beer is light to medium bodied, so I could easily see this being a session beer.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Nice amber beer that pours with a deep rich copper color. The head looks almost "delicate" and rapidly disapepars but leaves a nice persistent lace ont he side of the glass that lasts the whole way to the bottom.

The aroma is prominent with hops and a sweetness. The taste nice and it is an easy drinking beer. There is a big taste that I am having trouble putting a finger on. It's not asweet per se but it is a tatste I associate with sweet.

As with other beers in the Bells line the flavors are long lasting and the beer is well crafted.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

From my days in Kalamazoo, I remembered Amber as my favorite Bell's. Alas, though it is good, it is not quite what I remembered, particularly, it is less balanced than I remembered.

It pours a very light brown, from almost clear to cloudy depending on how carefully you decant, while the aroma is very mild, not showing the hoppiness in the flavor.

The taste is somewhat on the hoppy side, with some smokiness in the malt flavor, and a hint of citrus. (Maybe the Oberon has become an invasive species.)

The mouthfeel is reasonably full, but the head is a little rough.

This is still a very drinkable beer. The flavor is strong but not overpowering.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

The first time I tired this beer it caught my attention. Bell says it's a "cask conditioned" amber which was unusual and demanded an additional tasting session! I was surprised with the cloudiness of the brew, almost weiss cloudy, but the taste! Slightly sweet initally with carmel overtones and a subtle spicy flavor that I really enjoyed. Hmmm, nice aroma, with a hint of fruitiness. Nice creamy head that made the experience even better. The aftertaste was clean, refreshing with a slight bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and ejnoyable. I have moved this brew high on my list to a regular staple at the house for get togethers and have gotten many outstanding comments about this beer from guests. As the old TV commercial used to say, "Try it, you'll like it!" I totally agree!

Bell's Amber Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.