Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,951 | Reviews: 699
4.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this on tap at my local pub. The beer had a nice light golden color with a smallish white head and minimal lacing. A slight fruity, yeasty smell also comes out in the taste. No taste of coriander or clove, but it does have a good, crisp mouthfeel. Overall, I would say this is a pretty solid witbier and I would order it again.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Bells is a great brewery and its a shame that they don't distribute in MA. I recently bought a sampler case that this beer, the pale ale, best brown ale, and amber ale. A beautiful light straw colored beer that lightly greets your nose with the typical witbier aroma. Nothing too exciting or flashy about this beer, its just a well crafted ale by a good brewery.

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%

Beer #4 (of 13) from my beer purchase in Indiana.

Bell's Winter White Ale pours a hazy light gold color into my glass. A 1/2" white head forms, then quicky collapses down to a soapy ring. Low carbonation, no lacing. The aroma is good for a wheat ale, elements of bready yeast, cloves, bubblegum, and perhaps a little bit of funk. The slightest hint of herbal aroma from the hops is present. A very inviting aroma for this style.

Unfortunately, the taste doesn't quite deliver on what the smell promises. Lots of bread, bubblegum, and clove, with just a hint of hop bitterness. That's about it. The mouthfeel is light, silky and somewhat thin; this beer creates a moderate level of tanginess on the tongue. Goes down smooth, finishes with a lingering bubblegum/clove/bread aftertaste.

All in all, an OK wheat; however, there are better options out there. This is a moderately sessionable beer; if you like bubblegum, you'll probably like this beer.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

From a lottle to a pilsner glass. Very cludy pale yellow in apprearance with a small white head that fades. Grassy aroma. Taste is grassy with wheat and hint of citrus. This tastes like a thin Hefeweizen. Strong carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel, tasty and overall a pleasant beer to drink, just don't expect a punch.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Has a light wheat color with a orange hue when poured. Head was thin and white. Aroma was filled with spice and citrus, which was also in the taste. Going down, it was nice and and crisp. Not watery or too thick. Definitely a great seasonal and witbier.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap at the Esquire (I was confused, it's not a beer bar yet they had Bell's, this is outstanding)

Pours a bright and murky yellow with medium carbonation.

Aroma is banana and flowers with some spices in there as well.

Flavor is bananas and candy with some spicy notes threatening to breakinto the "main event" of the flavor so to speak. Unfortunately, the more I drink the more the sweetness just becomes too much.

Body is about a medium and is actually quite befitting the style.

Drinkability is hampered by the sheer sweetness of the is brew. In fact my buddy said it tasted like a "Blue Moon on a night on the town, ready to put out." I'm not quite sure what that means exactly but I think I agree.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Came out a little more clear than I expected until I remembered the sediment packed at the bottom. Swirled and poured out the thick, nutrient-rich haze to make a translucent, straw-colored glass of beer. That sediment is in there tight. Wondering about the expiration date, especially being a Winter Ale. Deep head that dissipated quickly, and without as much lace as I expect.

Getting a yeasty banana clove scent like a many wheat beers, but with a sweeter scent. Not much hoppiness; but even for its apparent age it still smells somewhat fresh.

Tastes like a luxurious and well-made heffy. I would never put fruit in one of course, but especially not this. There is enough bite from the wheat and yeast, with nearly invisible hops, to weigh out the sweet lushness of the body of it. Really no conflict or aftertaste to this. Which brings up the alcohol snap. Not catching one, even towards the end. Either I am drinking it too fast, Bells hides it well, or it's unusually low for a Winter Ale. Still well done.

The mouthfeel, although I usually mix it in with the taste, deserves a special mention here. There is something plush and velvety about this that makes me want to sip and chew a couple just for the sake of enjoyment.

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with absolutely no head at all. You can tell this beer is unfiltered.

Strong bready yeast flavor and thick wheat malts.

Lemons and heavy, very juicy orange citrus, coriander, cloves, and strong spice. The cloves, coriander, and winter spices are a little too overwhelming. Bell's may have hit what they were aiming for here but I'm not liking this too much.

Semi thin, decent carbonation but I would expect more for the style.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like wheat ales. I like witbier. But I don't care for this one.

2.99/5  rDev -17.4%

It poured a slight golden yellow with a smallish finely bubbled head. Little to no aroma, maybe a very faint biscuit, not sweet at all, no esters. I tastes creamy with no hop taste of aroma. The flavor is very bland, a shocking lack of complexity from what I expect from Bells. Finishes very smooth, very drinkable, and very much lacking in flavor.

Dark cloudy golden color. Looks like a peach dosed glass of pineapple juice, minimal head lots of bubbles at first that slow down quickly but there's a spite of them that rise around the top with each sip. Lot's of yeast in the aroma with citrus, bananas and spices around it.

Think a slight heartier and well, winter version of the Oberon in the flavor. Little bit more of a Hefe slant. It's sparkly though a bit more bready and a ginger thing not noticed as much in an Obie. A little too lemony and coriander for what I prefer in an winter beer. A creamy banana thing on the back of the throat in the finish. Good but it just doesn't seem all that wintery. Early spring or late fall maybe. Quality recipe and very drinkable stuff but nothing all that exciting. Oberon lost it's charm for me awhile back (but was more than a passing fancy in my heyday with it) and this just doesn't seem all that different or special to me.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to my buddy BA cosmosys for bringing this by for me to try out.

Poured a very cloudy yellow/orange. There is a nice bright white head that doesn't hang around for long.

The smell is full of wheat and yeasty esters. I thought the nose on this one was a bit peppery.

The taste is full of wheat with its distinct sweetness. This is well balanced. Spice comes through with definite coriander. The orange peel is quite subdued. It is light on the palate and finishes clean.

This isn't a style I would usually seek out on my own. Hefes turned me off of wheat beers in my earlier craft days but I later realized it was the banana/clove I didn't care for. Now I'm not afraid of wheat and I must say I found this beer to be pretty good. It was crisp and refreshing. It seems like kind of an odd choice for a winter seasonal, spring would probably be more appropriate.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured with literally no head. The pour was an unfiltered orange-yellow typical of a witbier and I was instantly hit by a citrus aroma. Upon the first taste, it became apparent this had little carbonation, though it had a very good citrus and subtle spice flavor. Malty, clean finish. Very drinkable and refreshing.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This Sunday afternoon the D train pulls into Kalamazoo Michigan to try Bells Winter White Ale. Poured this witbier into a Sierra Nevada Imperial pint glass. Attractive light golden orange color with head that dissolves quickly. Notes of corriander, oranges, and lemon in the nose. Light bodied feel with nice blend of yeast, orange, lemon, and a hint of spice at the end.

This is definitely not like most other "winter brews." Although I desired a bit more taste, Winter White Ale is crisp, refreshing, and has year-round drinkability.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Seems a little watered down

2.43/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Hazy yellow color, no head. A little bit of white foam. No lacing.

S: Lemony, wheaty.

T: Wheat, a hint of lemon. Slightly metallic. Not at all complex.

M: Very bubbly, over carbonated.

D: Just not flavorful enough to be worth finishing. I suppose it might be good to wash down a spicy chilli in the winter, but that's about it.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

First of all I did not know that they would pour this into a Frosty Mug. Whoops! It was so cold there was no head or nose. I waited awhile and things warmed up a bit...

Smell got better with a move to orange spice. Taste was definitely worth the wait, but not very over powering. But, I am wondering if the deep freeze chilled things down too much? A good Bell's version of a Wit beer, but definitely not of German comparison. I could definitely sit back and drink a couple more of these.

4.02/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light yellow pour without much head. Tastes very similar to blue moon or shock top. Easy to drink, pretty good seasonal. Not strong at 5% and not a particularly mind blowing beer but solid overall.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a beautiful cloudy/oily orange with a thick white head that leaves a beautiful Belgian lace behind.

The nose was a bit weak, but then again it is a Belgian White, so not much of a nose was expected. All the usual suspects were there, banana, bubblegum, banana nut bread, etc.

This beer tastes great! A wonderful tip of the hat to the Belgians. Not much of a winter style (spices), then again the corriander does lend a nice zip to the beer!

Carbonation is really nice with this one ... the MF is very thick and bready, yet light. Finishes really smoothly.

Very easy to drink. Thank goodness I only had one from a friend ... otherwise I could have easily plowed through a twelver on my own. It's that tasty. Thank you Mr. Larry Bell!

3.49/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a hazy straw yellow into a pint glass with a sudsy white head that quickly frothed to a negligible film and left no lacing. Aroma is sour, with orange, spice, coriander, a little clove. Mouthfeel is a little slippery and very spiny with carbonation. Taste is banana, lemon, no tartness from the aroma, slightly grassy, finishing with an odd dry hop bite. Drinkability is moderate due to what is in my opinion a slightly unbalanced hop bitterness. Overall this is an ok beer, nothing more, nothing less.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

A:Deep, hazy gold. Very little head.

S:Not much here. Much in part due to the lack of head.

T:Bland. Some wheat presence with orange and coriander.

M:Creamy texture

D:Easy drinker. Tart on the tongue

A disappointment to me. True to the style but nothing special here.

2.97/5  rDev -18%

A - straw colored with a thin head that dissapated with in a minute.

S - Has a fairly strong wheaty/bready aroma with a spicyness and slight hop aroma.

T - Definately taste the wheatyness and the coriander. Not much else though. Also, has some bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - Light to medium bodied.

O - Wasn't overly impressed with this beer. Had an ok taste, but I've had much better witbier's than this.

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I wanted a stronger nose. Unfortunately served in a straight glass

4.76/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out dark orange that is semi-transcelucent. Defintely can't see through it though. The head was pretty tiny and had no retention. Smells pretty malty, pretty sweet, with no hint of hops. Taste is quite sweet and tastes like Belgian yeast -- the banana/clove yeast. Really it tastes nice for a Wit. Pretty nice. Mouthfeel is medium thick with some nice carbonation. Overall this is a really nice whit, Tastes just like I would want it too. I am a sucker for a whit!!!! Overall this is a GREAT whit. Seems to be under-rated.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Very nice label of a snowy scene through woods. I hope the beer is as good as the label.

A: NIce one finger head after the yeast is poured in. Good cloudy yellow color.

S: mild yeast and coriander overtones.

T: Very good wit beer. Perhaps the best I have had.

M: Smooth.

D: Very drinkable, unfortunately part of a mix a six.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.