Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,961
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a beautiful cloudy/oily orange with a thick white head that leaves a beautiful Belgian lace behind.

The nose was a bit weak, but then again it is a Belgian White, so not much of a nose was expected. All the usual suspects were there, banana, bubblegum, banana nut bread, etc.

This beer tastes great! A wonderful tip of the hat to the Belgians. Not much of a winter style (spices), then again the corriander does lend a nice zip to the beer!

Carbonation is really nice with this one ... the MF is very thick and bready, yet light. Finishes really smoothly.

Very easy to drink. Thank goodness I only had one from a friend ... otherwise I could have easily plowed through a twelver on my own. It's that tasty. Thank you Mr. Larry Bell!

3.49/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a hazy straw yellow into a pint glass with a sudsy white head that quickly frothed to a negligible film and left no lacing. Aroma is sour, with orange, spice, coriander, a little clove. Mouthfeel is a little slippery and very spiny with carbonation. Taste is banana, lemon, no tartness from the aroma, slightly grassy, finishing with an odd dry hop bite. Drinkability is moderate due to what is in my opinion a slightly unbalanced hop bitterness. Overall this is an ok beer, nothing more, nothing less.

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

A:Deep, hazy gold. Very little head.

S:Not much here. Much in part due to the lack of head.

T:Bland. Some wheat presence with orange and coriander.

M:Creamy texture

D:Easy drinker. Tart on the tongue

A disappointment to me. True to the style but nothing special here.

2.97/5  rDev -19.1%

A - straw colored with a thin head that dissapated with in a minute.

S - Has a fairly strong wheaty/bready aroma with a spicyness and slight hop aroma.

T - Definately taste the wheatyness and the coriander. Not much else though. Also, has some bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - Light to medium bodied.

O - Wasn't overly impressed with this beer. Had an ok taste, but I've had much better witbier's than this.

3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Solid and enjoyable. Some citrus and spice notes. As a winter brew, it feels out of place among the holiday selections, though. It tastes more like a March day when spring is trying to push winter aside.

4.76/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out dark orange that is semi-transcelucent. Defintely can't see through it though. The head was pretty tiny and had no retention. Smells pretty malty, pretty sweet, with no hint of hops. Taste is quite sweet and tastes like Belgian yeast -- the banana/clove yeast. Really it tastes nice for a Wit. Pretty nice. Mouthfeel is medium thick with some nice carbonation. Overall this is a really nice whit, Tastes just like I would want it too. I am a sucker for a whit!!!! Overall this is a GREAT whit. Seems to be under-rated.

4.33/5  rDev +18%

Very nice label of a snowy scene through woods. I hope the beer is as good as the label.

A: NIce one finger head after the yeast is poured in. Good cloudy yellow color.

S: mild yeast and coriander overtones.

T: Very good wit beer. Perhaps the best I have had.

M: Smooth.

D: Very drinkable, unfortunately part of a mix a six.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thin head. Smells of orange, with some cloves and spice. Tastes just about the same. Well ballanced beer that finished a little dry. Would rank higher if the beer wasn't as dry at the end. This has been one of the better beers I have tried in a long time. The way Blue Moon should taste. All around great beer. I just wish it wasn't seasonal. One of Bell's best.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into hoegaarden glass

A--Cloudy, a shade lighter than dried apricot. Lots of carbonation with little head.

S--Typical witbier scent. Not too strong. Sweet, tempered with mild metal/mineral. Spicy clove and sweet bread.

T--mild/moderate hop bitter moves ahead of initial sweetness. Mild and bready overall without too much spice.

M--Crisp and a bit dry--high carbonation and mildly surprising hoppiness playing a role?

D--Typical I suppose.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very bizarre, hazy, milky yellow. very small head that disappears quickly.

Aroma is that of citrus, and something of a cross between a belgian yeast smell, and a heff-weizen smell. a bit of bread as well.

Taste is all wheat flavour, which take a while to get up to full flavour in your mouth. Has a tart kind of snap to it, very much like a grapefruit and lemon. i almost wonder if there is lemon juice in this beer. aftertaste starts off sweet, but then turns citric tart. the more i drink it, the more this sour off taste of lemons-gone-bad comes out. i've noticed that once the beer warms up a lot, the off flavour turns inot more of a creamy lemonade thing, which is actually quite tasty.

mouthfeel is fine, but i'm still stuck on this weird taste. drinkability i fear is going to be low, as this aftertaste is getting to me.

I do not especially care for oberon, and thought this would be entirely too simliar for me to bother with. I gave it a go, it's nothing like oberon. at first i thought it was worse, but now i think it is a bit more flavourful, and I guess a good way to do a wit for the winter. an alright beer, worth trying if you haven't.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz brown bottle with the batch number printed on the back of the label. Served in a pilsner glass.

Pours a pale gold color with about an inch and a half of foamy white head and fairly active carbonation. Head settles quickly and leaves minimal lace. The body of the beer is considerably cloudy. The aroma is of wheat and a cereal-like graininess, along with notes of bubble-gum and fruity esters. Faint alcohol in the nose as well. Much like the smell, the taste is dominated by the wheat and the lightly toasted graininess. The Belgian yeast also adds to the complexity of this brew. This is very refreshing with it's hints of banana and spice. Hop profile is mostly herbal and light. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with just a slightly watery texture and sufficient carbonation. Finishes pretty clean.

This is a fine example of the style. In a style that is all to often represented by beers that are somewhat watered down, this one has a depth of flavor that sets it apart from the pack. It provides a refreshing alternative to the typically heavier beers of winter. I would certainly have another.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz bottle into my trusty Troeg's standard pint. Pours a hazy straw color with a small head and some residual lacing.

Smell is subdued, nothing overwhelming. Some malt and a hint of spice.

Taste pretty much follows the smell - a bit of citrus and spice. very light.

Mouthfeel is a little thin - not quite watery, but close.

Drinkability is virtually at your personal limit - this would be a much better summer release at this ABV and in this style.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

The head faded pretty quickly on mine even after a vigorous pour and not much lacing stuck around. Weird. Anyhow, we've got a golden-orange color with loads of fruit and spice in the nose.

The taste is exactly what a wit should be. Some banana and an extra kick of spice. It really goes down easily. I have no clue why this is categorized as a winter beer (maybe the extra spiciness?) but it's perfectly suited to sitting outside on a nice day. I guess that makes it a pretty flexible beer. Another winner from Bell's.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this on-tap last night.
A: Looks like Hoegaarden but without any head to speak of. Swirling the glass produced a head that quickly dissipated. No lacing. I've seen many better looking wits.

S: Coriander, yeast, and wheat malt. Not much else. Smells exactly like Bell's Oberon with coriander.

T: Similar to the smell: a decent malt backbone with an aggressive dose of coriander. Hops and any orange/lemon peel are lost in the background and are even unusually weak for this style. Tastes like Bell's Oberon with less citrus and with more coriander/spiciness. Flavor seems a little too light and watered down compared to the best Wits I've had.

M: Somewhat starchy with good body. Yeast adds a certain thickness comparable to Bell's Oberon, Hoegaarden, or even Allagash White. Served on-tap so I will not comment on carbonation.

D: True to the style, it would be very drinkable in the summer. It is less drinkable in the the Michigan winter.

O: While I like drinking summer-syle brews here in the Michigan winter, I felt this beer was almost too light for the season. I prefer a heartier yet summmer-like Weisse for winter drinking.

Comparisons: I would rather drink both Hoegaarden or Allagash White over this brew, but I would take Bells Winter White over a Blue Moon any day.

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%

It seems like this is one of those beers that I wasn't 100% on the first few sips, but by the end of the beer, I had completely changed my mind. A great taste. An awesome aroma. These are the traits than rang through the most for me. A little too flat looking in it's appearance, maybe. Also, I like to see the lacework on the side of my glass, and this had none. The head leaves quickly. But the smell and taste is spot on.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

I had beer at my local taproom. A/cloudy yellow glass was brought to me in a standard pint glass. S/I didn't pick up too much here, just a touch of yeast and hops. T/Not much going on here. I got a small amount of hops, banana, and yeast. O/ Light easy drinking beer. Not very complex but very enjoyable and non offensive. I found that the remainder of my glass went very well with the pizza that was brought to me. I would pick this up for a lazy afternoon where you just want something light.

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%

Pale yellow cloudy brew with only a thin white head, dissipating quickly. Smell is light and yeasty with not much else going on. Taste is yeasty and spicy, with a hint of clove and coriander, and maybe some fruit in the background. Mouth feel is very light and with highcarbonation.

Different for a "winter" beer. Definitely not my favorite witbier, and like most witbiers i can't figure out if i like it or not.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This uncharacteristically hop-forward witbier has a cloudy gold body that produces spare head and lacing; significant yeast sediment is present, as expected. There is a light banana/clove spice and floral hints on the nose and on the palate, where they are joined by alcohol notes and a nice wheat flavor that takes a backseat to a hoppy bitterness. This bitterness dominates the finish, lingering more than expected for a witbier, and providing a nice accompaniment to the lively carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Tangfoot.

A: Hazy dark gold, with a thin head that disappates almost immediately, leaving no bubbles whatsoever.

S: Not much. *sniff* Smells like clean beer, but not much else.

T: Lightly sweet malt, a bit of citrus (lemon rind?), a bit of hop oilyness at the end.

M: Goes down easy. Then makes you reach for another swig. I was halfway through before I even noticed it.

D: As I said above. It's simple, it's easy, and it's good drinkin'.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a clear yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smells of wheat, citrus hops and spicey.

Taste starts out sweet with malted barley and wheat. Finishes slightly citrusy and spicey.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is alright, a bit too spicey for me. Could use some more carbonation.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a gold to light yellow color that is cloudy looking. A very tiny head develops which fades very fast. Lots of carbonation going on in my glass.

S - Smells of wheat and yeast. Lots of strong spices come through after. Not what I thought I was getting into.

T - Tastes of wheat right off the bat with just kind of a mish mash of stuff coming after. Some spice some sweet. Overall just kinda... bleh.

M - Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. I was expecting something heavier and warmer. More like the traditional winter brews.

D - Drinkability of this is ok I guess, just not what I thought, I suppose. I will not buying this again. I'll stick to my heavy warming winter beverages.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Bright yellow-golden color. Cloudy from a huge yeast content that was stirred up and poured on top. Thin off-white head which sticks around after the initial pour. Some light carbonation noticeable. The head slowly dissipates with no lacing.

Smell: Spices - coriander/cloves. A pleasant wheat and biscuity yeast aroma with a faint hint of lemon.

Taste: Nice and crisp as I would expect in a witbier. The spices dominate, the wheat up front with a slight lingering citrus bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy, smooth body with mild carbonation that gives it a nice bite.

Drinkability: It's a great winter selection. The heavier body certainly distinguishes it from its summer counterparts. Would love to have another.

3.23/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought in April on clearance, so wasn't expecting much (but I have to rate what I tasted). Decent, per previous reviews, but probably better when fresh, obviously.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

The appearance is golden and cloudy with a white foamy head that quicly disipates. It has a sweet, spicy coriander aroma. The taste is malty with spicy notes and little aftertaste. There is a slight citrus flavor.

Overall, this is a nice beer. However, I would not put this beer up with my favorite belgian style white ales.

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light hazy golden color. A finger of head that disappears soon.

S: Nice light smell lemon and banana smell with a hint of cloves.

T: I think the taste is very light but I don't mean that in a bad way. Mild cloves at the beginning with a mild lemon in the middle and then ending with a mild wheat.

M: Very light feel. Light carbonation. Very consistent from beginning to end.

D: For a winter beer it's rather light but I think it's something that is rather nice. The light taste and average ABV can lead to a lot being drank.

If you are in the mood for a light not so complex beer I think you will not be disappointed. This was exactly the beer I was looking for tonight.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.