Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003)
3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Hazed medium yellow color. Not quite one finger of frothy white head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing. I can't say this is the most beautiful brew.

4.0 S: The aroma is very nice. Neutral wheatiness, corriander, banana, clove, and bubblegum. Soft and really elegant. This would probably be a 5.0 if the nose was stronger.

4.0 T: Again, plenty of wheat flavor with corriander, orange peel, and banana. Clove is there too, but it is subtle. Bubblegum mostly falls out. Bitterness is stronger than I'd expect with the style. It's not like an IPA or anything, just stronger than most wits.

3.0 M: Light to lighter medium body. The main issue I have with the mouthfeel is that although there is plenty of carbonation, it is a "dead carbonation" as opposed to spritzy. The body is also a bit too light and isn't as creamy as I'd like.

3.5 D: Aside from the mouthfeel, this is a pretty solid brew. Good nose and good taste, but that isn't always enough. I'll forgive Bell's though since they make some damn good stuff overall.

DavoleBomb, Dec 11, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this witbier at Total Wines, and enjoyed in a Hoegaarden glass.

Pretty standard witbier stuff, and I'd honestly choose a Hoegaarden. Light yellow, cloudy look, with fairly large head. Nose is full of lemony citrus.

Taste has light citrus, and is generally pretty underwhelming, but suited to the style. Smooth watery mouthfeel, and overall a refreshing beer, but I'd put it closer to Blue Moon then it would probably like.

Jesstyr, Dec 09, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

This was the fourth Bells offering I had tried (with the first 3 being, Two Hearted, Hopslam and Pale). I def didn't enjoy this as much as the first three but was still pretty happy with it.

a-pours just like I like my wheats...very cloudy, obviously unfiltered.

s-very much a wheat. Sweet smelling, followed by the cloves. Very clovey.

t-Lots of sweeter tastes with the cloves rounding out the swallow. Much less prevalent than in the initial smell.

m-feels thicker than a 4.5%. I liked it alot.

d-the first glass of the mini keg I thought it very overpowering, but here I am on the last two glasses and I'm thinking...damn...the whole thing is gone.

I would get this again if I was looking for a wheat. Would probably not get the mini keg...I had to drink a lot of beer, cause other peeps who aren't craft beer enthusiasts didn't like it as much.

Mit, Dec 06, 2010

Pours a hazy straw color with a bit of lingering head. Smells primarily of Belgian yeast, spices. Tastes of Belgian yeast, your usual winter spices, coriander, anise, wheat. Lingering spice mixture, medium body, well-rounded, full flavor, amply spiced but not overwhelming, mellow.

Thanby, Dec 05, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a tall glass displaying a 50/50 realm of clear to opaqueness quality. Golden in color, very nice, but slightly weak head. Virtually no lacing upon finishing.

Bouquet is missing the wheat bread characteristics which are faint being dominated first by a chemical "like" smell. Almost slightly macro in smell... not big though so at least it isn't totally off putting.

Taste and flavor profile leads to a very muted taste, and light body. No spices, nothing of distinctness to come out other than some sweetness.

Drinability is straight down the middle. Meh... I've had considerably better. Lord knows.. I've had worse.

smakawhat, Dec 05, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (6 pack) into a pint glass.
Batch 10021, 5% abv.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a very small white head that disappears quickly.
S: Cloves and honey.
T: More cloves, some prominent banana in the middle, and a sweet finish (the honey).
M: Medium bodied and light carbonated (straying from traditional style), and a little sticky on the finish.
D: The cloves are very overpowering in this beer, and it reminds me of a hefeweizen much more than a witbier because of that. I don't really think it works that well with the Belgian yeast. Another one that disappointed me from Bell's, but there are quite a few of their beers that I'd highly recommend. It seems that I either love or hate their beers.

stimulus, Dec 04, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

It has a nice wheat color. Poured to a two finger head which dissipated quickly. Banana is the most pungent scent cloves are also present. The winter wheat has good mouth feel and has a bit of inconsistency(which is a good thing). There is a nice hint of nut and banana that linger as the aftertaste. It is a smooth beer that isn't over-spiced. I suggest it. Its a tasty beverage

KRAUSEMAO, Dec 04, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a straw-colored yellow, opaque, mild carbonation apparent, with minimal head, gone entirely within several minutes. Nose is strong wheat, honey notes with lemony essence. Carbonation masks much of the flavor up front. More intense than I expected. The numbness in my tongue reminiscent of the aftereffect of cloves. Lemon rind at the back. Bananas in the aftertaste. This is the first wheat-beer I've really enjoyed. I appreciate the complexity and clear notes in this one. Decently drinkable!

Swill5786, Dec 04, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A: An extremely pale hazy straw yellow color. Lots of carb. Bubbles streaming. The head is almost pure white and is thin and soapy. It disappeared quickly not leaving any lacing behind.

S: Smell like sweet ripe banana. Lots of clove and white pepper notes. Ripe bartlet pears and a slight cider quality.

T: Just as in the nose there's alot of banana, pear, pepper and clove. Some sour apple notes also. Overall a pretty traditional tasting witbier.

M: Light bodied but not thin. Tons of carbonation singing my tongue. Refreshing with a good drinkability.

Overall: This is a style of beer I rarely reach for when beer shopping. Bells WInter White Ale is a good version of the style. Pretty spot on for the style. This is a nice change of pace from the Imperial Stouts and dark beers I've been drinking.

BigMike, Dec 02, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Extremely hazy, pale, dull yellow color. Average sized, creamy, frothy, pearl white head. Decent retention with some patchy lace along with a ring of lace left.

S - Plenty of wheat, lemony citrus, and coriander. More citrus and wheat, some banana, and less spice than a typical witbier.

T - Similar to the nose. Plenty of wheat flavors which also provides just a hint of banana. Lemony citrus rind is pretty strong with just a bit of coriander (for a witbier it was pretty minimal). Finishes with a slightly tart, lemony citrus.

M - Lighter side of medium body with average carbonation. Pretty creamy feel.

D - Pretty easy drinking beer. Refreshing citrus tart is nice, and I wouldn't mind drinking another or two, but I don't think it really makes me want more.

Notes: Slightly different witbier. More wheat and citrus. Doesn't really excite me, nor does it really succeed for me as a winter seasonal. Not a bad beer, but not my favorite.

FreshHawk, Dec 02, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a pale yellow color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Virtually no lacing to speak of.

S: A sweet, somewhat muted aroma of citrus, spices and a little malt.

T: Tasted of lemon, coriander, malt and other spices. Like the smell, the taste is pretty sweet. Gets better as you go along.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a slick finish. Light-bodied.

D: While this beer is uneven in spots, it's still an enjoyable, drinkable beer.

avalon07, Nov 28, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this Winter White courtesy of a buddy of mine, Jeff. It causes Reena no beerface. Therefore, it's good for something. It's also good as a light winter drink that you can kick back with when you're not looking towards an RIS to solve your cold winter problems.

It's murky in appearance in the way that witbiers tend to be. Bit of a head dissipates and leaves not much lacing at all. It's still highly carbonated, so that makes the tongue tingle on its light to medium body. It smells like almost every other citrus wheat beer out there. Tastes like that too. The best part is definitely the carbonation. In other words, it does the style. Does it pretty well. Doesn't blow socks off. Doesn't blow your nose for you. Does refresh you.

If you're into that.

afksports, Nov 28, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Comes out of the tap a hazy, opaque amber with a fine-bubbled off-white head. Aroma is honey-sweet and malty with a hint of lemon. Yeasty, malty, honey-sweet flavor has a lemony undertone. Thick, smooth, fizzy texture leaves a subtle tingle and a yeasty, rubbery, citrus finish.

Cyberkedi, Nov 27, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Light straw colored, no head, opaque. No visible bubbles.

S: Cloves and sweetness. Pretty enticing.

T: Quite sweet, almost cloying, with light lemon and nice spices. Tasty, but maybe a little too sweet.

M: Lots of bubbles and thin.

D: A crisp and sweet beer - but perhaps a little too sweet to really toss these back.

thatguy3579, Nov 21, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Hey its Saturday night live with a great wheat beer.The aroma is fruity with a hint of yeast. Full of flavor. With bananas, cloves,and a bit of lemon too.It has a nice golden haze.As far as drinkability I could easily drink these all night. All were missing for a winter ale is more alcohol.The label says abv. is 5.0.The label is nicely designed with trees and snow.Makes me feel like taking a winter walk through the woods to grandma's house.I hope the beer at her house is this good. Other than that this is a very smooth tasting beer.I will be buying more soon.

BrewStoutMagic, Nov 21, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle (batch 10021) poured into a shaker pint glass. Lots of yeast sediment was left behind in the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy/translucent golden yellow beer. Foam disappeared quickly and never reappeared again. No lacing either.

Smell: This is a witbier? Smells like a hefeweizen - cloves and banana with a hint of mustiness and pear at the end. Not bad, just not what I was expecting.

Taste: A bit on the sweet side, and definitely tastes like a hefeweizen. More cloves than banana though, with something else spicy in there at the end.

Mouthfeel: Enough carbonation to feel a bit crisp on the tongue so that it cleanses the palate like a witbier should. Beyond the carbonation the beer is a little bit thick and slick at the same time.

Drinkability: Went well with a spicy beans and rice dish, but I can't see myself buying it again. It's just an okay beer.

damndirtyape, Nov 20, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +11%

Most winter ale's are full of dark malt and sweet caramel and I really enjoy them. This is Bell's take made with wheat. It's a dark hazy yellow color with a decent cap of foam.

The nose is bready, yeasty and laden with earthy hops. This is a full bodied brew with cracker and yeasty bread-like malt. The wheat nicely contributes to the winter appropriate body of this brew. The beer slithers along the palate leading to a touch of spice at the end.

I really enjoyed this brew and bell's different take on a winter ale.

BeardedBoffin, Nov 20, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Straw yellow and cloudy with almost no head despite a rigorous pour. Thin lacing.

Yeast dominates, but still detectable are banana, lemons, oranges, light fruits, and spicey cloves and coriander. The aroma is actually quite nice.

Tastes very flavorful! Nicely yeasty with citrus fruits, banana, clove, coriander and spices. A fine tasting brew that I'm quite happy I bought even after one sip.

Drinks smooth, moderately sweet and rich and thick going down. A touch of carbonation tang that really accents the feel and flavors nicely. Aftertaste is a bit banana and only slightly bitter, but sits quite nicely.

Easy to drink and definitely a future repeat purchase. A nice witbier.

AlCaponeJunior, Nov 18, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Hazy straw color with a decent white head.

Smells of yeast and bits of banana and some lemon citrus

Tastes much the same with a nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and slightly thick with good carbonation.

ABV makes it very drinkable, but I'd prefer to switch to something else after a couple. Push comes to shove, I could shove these down all night.

bifrojm, Nov 18, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a cloudy straw/gold. Two fingers of white head developed and dissipated quickly to leave a thin, bubbly lacing and ring around the edge. There was a little bit of sedimentation at the bottom, which I coaxed out and poured into the pint.

Smell: Reminds me of summer. Major clove and lemon/orange zest. There are hints of coriander and just a little bit of honey. There is also the customary, and heavenly, yeast aroma.

Taste: Very balanced and smooth, but no flavors jump out or dominate. However, there is a detectable hierarchy of tastes: the yeast, coriander, and clove spice are most prominent, and underneath those are the citrus elements from the smell.

Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable. Tasty and easy drinking, this is a decent witbier despite the fact it is totally out of season. Bell's did not do enough to justify offering a witbier for the winter months. I appreciate the effort, but I expect something more unique than something true to style.

TheQuietMan22, Nov 16, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

A: This poured a cloudy dark straw with a bit of white head.
S: It smelled like orange zest and sharp grassy hops, with sweet honey and creamy yeast.
T: It tasted like lots of citrus and grassy hops, with some coriander and fresh wheat and creamy yeast and sweet honey. It had a clean and bitter aftertaste.
M: It was slightly thick with lots of carbonation. Decent for the style.
D: This was a very bright and crisp beer, which seemed better suited for summer than winter. But it had an enjoyable taste and appropriate body, and it was quite easy to drink. I have no real complaints, but the beer didn't really excite me either.

Pencible, Nov 16, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, bleach blonde with a small white head. Orange peel and coriander spice with wheat malt in the aroma. This is a nice Wit and it has all the classic flavors of one, wheat malt tang, coriander and citrus peel. Light bodied with fine carbonation. A good beer that seems an odd choice for a Winter seasonal and more suited to a summer lawnmower beer.

biggred1, Nov 13, 2010

Pours out a hazy yellow color, with a smallish white head. Left the dredge in the bottom of the bottle. Nice carbonation in my glass...smell is slightly sour, some faint fruity/esteryness, but pleasantly no spice or coriander. Ahh, the taste is crisp, and a nice dry aftertaste. I can taste some phenolics almost reminds me more of a hefe than a wit and I like it. Some nice spicy clove from the yeast, again, more like a hefeweizen than any witbier I've ever had. I think Mr. Bell is like me, not a fan of spice in his beer....and this really makes for a nice, easy drinking beer. What is weird about this style though, is I wouldn't imagine it pairing with winter comfort food classics like pot roast, or pot pie....Mmm, pot pie. Might go well with another kind of pot, lol? In the end though, this is a nice crisp beer which is a pleasant change of pace from all the big IPAs or heavy stouts of winter, you know, when you're running around the house, cooking or cleaning and getting kinda hot and you just want something refreshing, I can see this one shining through in those sort of moments.

Star80, Nov 13, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a gold to light yellow color that is cloudy looking. A very tiny head develops which fades very fast. Lots of carbonation going on in my glass.

S - Smells of wheat and yeast. Lots of strong spices come through after. Not what I thought I was getting into.

T - Tastes of wheat right off the bat with just kind of a mish mash of stuff coming after. Some spice some sweet. Overall just kinda... bleh.

M - Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. I was expecting something heavier and warmer. More like the traditional winter brews.

D - Drinkability of this is ok I guess, just not what I thought, I suppose. I will not buying this again. I'll stick to my heavy warming winter beverages.

Tifore, Nov 11, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

I had tried this beer over a year ago and just saw it on tap (early). Notes are the same except appearance and mouthfeel, as nothing aside from those was different when I went back and read my bottle review.

This one is a slightly hazy pale golden color. A soft white head sits on top of this one, almost a finger high, leaving a foam that stays and leaves lacing that's wispy but plentiful.
The smell is very typical wit: wheat backbone, some citrus, and spices underneath.
The taste follows suit. It's typical of a good wit and brewed to style. There's is a very gentle underlying bitterness that adds to the balance.Underlying spice lingers, and its taste is pleasant without being overwhelmingly strong.
There's a light to moderate body; carbonation is a bit heavy for my liking and adds a little bit of a seltzer-like aftertaste. If anything, this is a touch thinner than my previous review would imply or I remember.
This is worth trying, though I don't see this being as appropriate for winter as for warmer weather.

Brenden, Nov 08, 2010
Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.