Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 677 | Hads: 1,955

Poured from a bottle into a willy and poured another just to be sure in my sam adams pint glass.

Let me start this review by saying I dont fail beers often I take style in mind and try to be fair but this one i'm giving the grade I belive it earned.

A-Very hazy yellow alot of yeast at the bottom of the bottle

S-Bannana and grain

T-Here is where you lose me 100% this is in no way a winter beer and I would not even classify it as a wibier it tastes thru and thru like your average run of the mill american wheat. No spice no warmer nothing.

M-Medium body good carbonation level goes down easy.

D-Would never buy this again I stopped drinking wheats long ago and have no reason to pay 13 bucks for one. (709 characters)

Wasn't paying attention when I bought a six pack and thought it was more of a winter warmer. With that aside, the beer was just not tasty. Bland and thin. (154 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -40.5%

The nose of this particular beer is banana. The body is cloudy and the hue is pale yellow. I observed some yeast with this beer. I definitely was not impressed by the taste of this beer. After about half-way through I had had enough and tried another of their beers. This definitely is not one of my favorite beers from this brewer. (332 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

from the bottle. poured a hazy straw with a white head that didn’t last long. aroma bread yeast, citrus, sour orange, wheat, and straw. flavor hops, straw, wheat, lemon, bitter. this should not be a winter beer. I think it would be better suited for the summer standing at the bbq griling some steak. (301 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

a - Cloudy yellow, little head looked like a witbier

s - Smelled of wheat but not much else

t - Dissappointingly thin, lacked complexity

m - light carbonation, thin

d - There are many better witbiers available don't waste your money. Generally I like witbiers this one just did not do it for me. (308 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -35.9%

Attractive color of diluted tang. Far too gentle aroma and very spiratic. Hints of coriander, light wheat, dried apricot, clove and spice. Again, very subtle in the flavor. Tingling spicing but not enough. Notes of banana peel, peach and light wheat. Shows weiss and white style. An average American wheat but I expected more from Bell’s. (339 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving some lace. Hazy yellow/amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Hoppy/yeasty nose. Starts with a hoppy/citrusy flavor, dry hoppy finish. Batch #7195, $1.79 for a 12oz bottle from Chalet Party Goshen, In. (283 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

This brew has a very fruity banana aroma. Its body is a weak yellow orange color that is very cloudy with yeast evident. It tastes as fruity as it smells and went down very easy, but later drinks caused my stomach to do flip flops. I didn't like it and eventually wound up getting another Porter and having them pour the rest of this beer down the drain. (354 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -34%

A: Hazy yellow color, no head. A little bit of white foam. No lacing.

S: Lemony, wheaty.

T: Wheat, a hint of lemon. Slightly metallic. Not at all complex.

M: Very bubbly, over carbonated.

D: Just not flavorful enough to be worth finishing. I suppose it might be good to wash down a spicy chilli in the winter, but that's about it. (334 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%

pours a extremely cloudy pale yellow. looks like orange juice rather than beer. tick head at first.

smells so strongly of yeast, I can barely smell anything else. barely get a hop nose. just ok.

body is solid for an american wheat but I expect some spice from a wit style. Nothing but yeast, orange peel, more like orange juice flavor. I've never had such a dissapointing experience from bells.

mouth is heavy with yeast, I can't even speak about this beer, it's just horrible. I'm pouring it down the drain. (512 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -29.6%

Bell's Winter White poured cloudy, straw yellow with a short-lived bright white head on top of a cascade of carbonation. Aroma of corriander, pepper, flowers and fruit. Apples, oranges, lemon zest, and spice comprise the flavor. Medium-light in body and highly carbonated.

I don't quite get the Winter White. It's too aggressive for your average wit. It's kind of like a winter Oberon, but doesn't hit the mark for this BA. Bell's is one of the best breweries around, but this isn't a product I'd recommend. (510 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

Bell's Winter White is a good addition to the white beer category. The beer itself does not scream winter to me. White beers are known for being warm summer month beers. I give Bell's props for bucking that trend and releasing a white for winter. Also, now that I think of it "white" could be a clever play on words for a "white Christmas".

A- Meets all the normal characteristics for a white beer. Cloudy, golden brown color with a white lace.

S- Strong aromas, abundantly sweet and citrus

T- This is where I tend to get off the bus a little. While it has the spice of orange and coriander I am accustomed to, there seems to be little else and a watered down sour apple flavor.

M- Any sweetness is masked by an ever present sour feel. I always like a little tang on my white beers but here I find myself waiting for a spicy flavor and only getting a watery sour finish.

D- Not bad, thought it was more alcoholic than 4.5, seemed to have a little more zing. Overall drinkable, find myself wanting to
put an orange slice in there, not a good sign. (1,053 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured extremely cloudy whitish/yellow color ale with a nice small pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of medium wheat with some very subtle spice note. Taste is lighter then expected with some wheat but no bubblegum notes that I usually appreciated in an hefeweizen and some very subtle spices and therefore no coriander that I usually like in my witbier. It appears that by mixing those two I am not getting the best of both word. This is probably one of the weakest offering from this fine brewer. (541 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a tall glass displaying a 50/50 realm of clear to opaqueness quality. Golden in color, very nice, but slightly weak head. Virtually no lacing upon finishing.

Bouquet is missing the wheat bread characteristics which are faint being dominated first by a chemical "like" smell. Almost slightly macro in smell... not big though so at least it isn't totally off putting.

Taste and flavor profile leads to a very muted taste, and light body. No spices, nothing of distinctness to come out other than some sweetness.

Drinability is straight down the middle. Meh... I've had considerably better. Lord knows.. I've had worse. (631 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -26.9%

Im dreaming of a winter white ale. Well not really. Poured a semi hazy golden color with next to no head nor any lacing at all.

The smell is malty with some very noticeable yeasty smells in the background. Some lighter wheat background and next to no spice presence at all. A smidge of hops, maybe a floral but still masked. Would like a bit more complexity and other spice notes to balance.

The taste has more of a wheat feel mixed with malt added in. A little harsh (as compared with crisp) and a bit astringent. The wheat flavor starts out with a chill sense and then a stronger bitter orange flavor finishes with a somewhat rancid finish. Not much on the spice and some very light note of hops near the end, bring a floral taste out.

The body is a little high for a wit or even a wheat, and no carbonation. Overall the wheat is limited and the spice note are not where they should be but clean yeast and easy drinkabiliy. (930 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

This is a decent, inoffensive and light tasting beer that isn't very complex. I'm a little disappointed because seasonal beers tend towards possessing attributes that fit with the season-- halloween gets the crop of pumpkin flavored beers, summer sometimes rustles up some sort of jalapeno-flavored creation and so on. This *winter beer* has nothing "wintry" about it apart from the name and the label artwork-- certainly nothing that suggests the scents and smells of winter (cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, chocolate, burning wood or even a decade-old, rock hard fruitcake.) The scents are typical average witbier: bread, wheat and yeast. There's a slight hint of citrus but it's gone quickly and doesn't translate into taste-- which is similarly average. So, why am I paying 11 bucks for a six pack of this when I could be trying that Allagash Dubbel I passed over? (860 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: Hmmm. Looks like a witbier, only darker. That means more yeast, more beast. Dark yellow urine color, head of white that disappears in a blink. Curious, but not appealing.

Smell: Yeast, yeast and more....yeah, well. Maybe some lemon or perhaps some clove, but mostly....YEAST.

Taste: Whew. This is thicker than any White ale I've ever tasted; even more thick than any hefe. This is chock full of cloudy bastard yeast and it's too much; for any season. Ok; I give it the clove and some faint lemon, a little pepper spice, and a real raw wheat taste. Like right off a thresher. Too rough, not sweet enough, and too much yeast.

Mouthfeel: Rich, cloudy, clumpy and creamy. Not really what I like in a wit. Too heavy for all purposes.

Drinkability: I asked just to make sure I didn't get the bottom of a keg. Nope, was the reply. No, in fact we tapped this yesterday. You might be the 2nd person to have tried it. I think they missed their season, and I really wasn't impressed with this. Maybe try a double white instead of this murky mess. My first lackluster Bell's. (1,089 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle, containing "a seasonally nuanced wheat ale that is both stylish and refreshing" poured into a pint glass.

Light orange color, with 1/2 a finger of head that vanishes quickly. A ton of carbonation; some sticks to the outside of the glass and there is still a lot bubbling up from the center. Almost a nice beer to look at.

Smells of mainly orange peels and to be honest, not much else. Not enough alcohol to be present on the nose and for the most part it's just orange.

The taste is mostly lemon-juice like, which is weird since there is no lemon on the nose. Kind of a chalk-dust taste that seems to be the product of lemon meets a sickly amount of carbonation. Yeah, this beer is slightly off-putting.

The mouthfeel leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very carbonated beer- as in the first sip, mid-palate and finish are all full of carbonation. To be honest, this is dissapointing.

Drinkability? You could drink it all night...but why would you. This, especially coming from Bell's is a disappointing beer. I don't see how this is a winter ale (when i let my roomate sample this he remarked that it 'tasted like something we had in the summer'), nor a white ale. Nor a Bell's beer. This beer leaves me confused, about most things except my liking for this beer. Which is almost non-existent. It even starts to look like Tang after awhile. I'm almost afraid to write this, but I kind of like Tang more. Blah. (1,432 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: A very hazy yellowish amber color, with a thin white colored head that has no retention and not much lacing

Smell: Very fruity and citrusy aromas, has a bit of a musty smell to it as well. The citrusy aromas are very prominent

Taste: Very fruity and spicy taste right up front. Followed by a citrusy orangeish taste that leaves a little bitter taste in your mouth. Overall has a very strong taste

Mouthfeel: Very light body with very minimal carbonation. Very thick on the palate but not thick enough for its class

Overall: Very poor example of a witbier. Doesn’t seem thick enough but it does have good smell and great appearance (648 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured a golden wheat color with very little head that quickly disappeared.
Faint smell of oranges, hops and spices
Lite carbonation with medium mouthfeel
Nothing really separated this from a regular wheat beer except for the slight orange taste, I guess I expected a lot more from Bell's. (289 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -24.7%

God, I hate Winter. But I do love beer, so maybe this won't be all bad.

The appearance is a bubbly, yellow-gold body, with a spotty and scummy looking off-white head.

The aroma is metallic, wheaty and a little fruity, like orange.

The fruity notes continue in the flavor, with some grapefruit and orange. The malt is very muted, but noticeable. Sour and spicy hop bitterness on the finish.

The mouthfeel just blew up in my mouth. It is a massive carbonation bomb, uncomfortable and fizzy like a soda.

Don't see myself wanting this again, because the mouthfeel is just a disaster. The flavor is decent for the style, and just spicy and fruity enough to make it drinkable. (675 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Cloudy gold in appearance. Smell is to much like your typical Witbier. Mouthfeel is standard for this syle of beer. Falls short for a winter style beer. Taste, the spices stick in the mouth, this takes away from the desirability. Overall this beer is way to typical and the spices take away from this beer. Not our cup of brew. Drinkable, just not something we prefer. (368 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a golden yellowish, a light color really. Very cloudy. Small head retention. No lacing to be seen.

Aroma is typical citrus, nothing special here...maybe a little yeast.

First taste is lemon. Some malt... Taste, for some reason seems a little artificial.

Mouthful is...eh' slight citrus. Light, yet a little thick. It is crisp however. Little spice to it too.

I think this would have been a better beer to drink in the summer actually. Not horrible, not great. (470 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Hazy, yellow color. Minimal white head.

S: Light citrus, and light, dried fruits, banana, etc.

T: Wheatish bite, some citrus and banana, and a little bit of spice.

M: Light body with moderate carbonation.

D: Somewhat drinkable. At this point, I'm losing interest in witbiers, but still a good summertime diversion. (321 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

Compliments of Lackenhauser

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a pale straw with lots of yeast in suspension. A thick creamy head collapsed in a couple minutes.

S--- Sweet smelling tropical fruit with clove and vanilla.

T--- I wish it tasted as good as it smells. It was very acidic and flavorless. My tongue hates me right now

M--- Good carbonation and to style.

D---A little disappointing flavor wise but I’m happy I got to try it. (462 characters)

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.