Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 687 | Hads: 2,000
2.59/5  rDev -29.4%

Bell's Winter White poured cloudy, straw yellow with a short-lived bright white head on top of a cascade of carbonation. Aroma of corriander, pepper, flowers and fruit. Apples, oranges, lemon zest, and spice comprise the flavor. Medium-light in body and highly carbonated.

I don't quite get the Winter White. It's too aggressive for your average wit. It's kind of like a winter Oberon, but doesn't hit the mark for this BA. Bell's is one of the best breweries around, but this isn't a product I'd recommend.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Bell's Winter White is a good addition to the white beer category. The beer itself does not scream winter to me. White beers are known for being warm summer month beers. I give Bell's props for bucking that trend and releasing a white for winter. Also, now that I think of it "white" could be a clever play on words for a "white Christmas".

A- Meets all the normal characteristics for a white beer. Cloudy, golden brown color with a white lace.

S- Strong aromas, abundantly sweet and citrus

T- This is where I tend to get off the bus a little. While it has the spice of orange and coriander I am accustomed to, there seems to be little else and a watered down sour apple flavor.

M- Any sweetness is masked by an ever present sour feel. I always like a little tang on my white beers but here I find myself waiting for a spicy flavor and only getting a watery sour finish.

D- Not bad, thought it was more alcoholic than 4.5, seemed to have a little more zing. Overall drinkable, find myself wanting to
put an orange slice in there, not a good sign.

2.62/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured extremely cloudy whitish/yellow color ale with a nice small pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of medium wheat with some very subtle spice note. Taste is lighter then expected with some wheat but no bubblegum notes that I usually appreciated in an hefeweizen and some very subtle spices and therefore no coriander that I usually like in my witbier. It appears that by mixing those two I am not getting the best of both word. This is probably one of the weakest offering from this fine brewer.

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a tall glass displaying a 50/50 realm of clear to opaqueness quality. Golden in color, very nice, but slightly weak head. Virtually no lacing upon finishing.

Bouquet is missing the wheat bread characteristics which are faint being dominated first by a chemical "like" smell. Almost slightly macro in smell... not big though so at least it isn't totally off putting.

Taste and flavor profile leads to a very muted taste, and light body. No spices, nothing of distinctness to come out other than some sweetness.

Drinability is straight down the middle. Meh... I've had considerably better. Lord knows.. I've had worse.

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%

Im dreaming of a winter white ale. Well not really. Poured a semi hazy golden color with next to no head nor any lacing at all.

The smell is malty with some very noticeable yeasty smells in the background. Some lighter wheat background and next to no spice presence at all. A smidge of hops, maybe a floral but still masked. Would like a bit more complexity and other spice notes to balance.

The taste has more of a wheat feel mixed with malt added in. A little harsh (as compared with crisp) and a bit astringent. The wheat flavor starts out with a chill sense and then a stronger bitter orange flavor finishes with a somewhat rancid finish. Not much on the spice and some very light note of hops near the end, bring a floral taste out.

The body is a little high for a wit or even a wheat, and no carbonation. Overall the wheat is limited and the spice note are not where they should be but clean yeast and easy drinkabiliy.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

This is a decent, inoffensive and light tasting beer that isn't very complex. I'm a little disappointed because seasonal beers tend towards possessing attributes that fit with the season-- halloween gets the crop of pumpkin flavored beers, summer sometimes rustles up some sort of jalapeno-flavored creation and so on. This *winter beer* has nothing "wintry" about it apart from the name and the label artwork-- certainly nothing that suggests the scents and smells of winter (cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, chocolate, burning wood or even a decade-old, rock hard fruitcake.) The scents are typical average witbier: bread, wheat and yeast. There's a slight hint of citrus but it's gone quickly and doesn't translate into taste-- which is similarly average. So, why am I paying 11 bucks for a six pack of this when I could be trying that Allagash Dubbel I passed over?

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Hmmm. Looks like a witbier, only darker. That means more yeast, more beast. Dark yellow urine color, head of white that disappears in a blink. Curious, but not appealing.

Smell: Yeast, yeast and more....yeah, well. Maybe some lemon or perhaps some clove, but mostly....YEAST.

Taste: Whew. This is thicker than any White ale I've ever tasted; even more thick than any hefe. This is chock full of cloudy bastard yeast and it's too much; for any season. Ok; I give it the clove and some faint lemon, a little pepper spice, and a real raw wheat taste. Like right off a thresher. Too rough, not sweet enough, and too much yeast.

Mouthfeel: Rich, cloudy, clumpy and creamy. Not really what I like in a wit. Too heavy for all purposes.

Drinkability: I asked just to make sure I didn't get the bottom of a keg. Nope, was the reply. No, in fact we tapped this yesterday. You might be the 2nd person to have tried it. I think they missed their season, and I really wasn't impressed with this. Maybe try a double white instead of this murky mess. My first lackluster Bell's.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz bottle, containing "a seasonally nuanced wheat ale that is both stylish and refreshing" poured into a pint glass.

Light orange color, with 1/2 a finger of head that vanishes quickly. A ton of carbonation; some sticks to the outside of the glass and there is still a lot bubbling up from the center. Almost a nice beer to look at.

Smells of mainly orange peels and to be honest, not much else. Not enough alcohol to be present on the nose and for the most part it's just orange.

The taste is mostly lemon-juice like, which is weird since there is no lemon on the nose. Kind of a chalk-dust taste that seems to be the product of lemon meets a sickly amount of carbonation. Yeah, this beer is slightly off-putting.

The mouthfeel leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very carbonated beer- as in the first sip, mid-palate and finish are all full of carbonation. To be honest, this is dissapointing.

Drinkability? You could drink it all night...but why would you. This, especially coming from Bell's is a disappointing beer. I don't see how this is a winter ale (when i let my roomate sample this he remarked that it 'tasted like something we had in the summer'), nor a white ale. Nor a Bell's beer. This beer leaves me confused, about most things except my liking for this beer. Which is almost non-existent. It even starts to look like Tang after awhile. I'm almost afraid to write this, but I kind of like Tang more. Blah.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: A very hazy yellowish amber color, with a thin white colored head that has no retention and not much lacing

Smell: Very fruity and citrusy aromas, has a bit of a musty smell to it as well. The citrusy aromas are very prominent

Taste: Very fruity and spicy taste right up front. Followed by a citrusy orangeish taste that leaves a little bitter taste in your mouth. Overall has a very strong taste

Mouthfeel: Very light body with very minimal carbonation. Very thick on the palate but not thick enough for its class

Overall: Very poor example of a witbier. Doesn’t seem thick enough but it does have good smell and great appearance

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured a golden wheat color with very little head that quickly disappeared.
Faint smell of oranges, hops and spices
Lite carbonation with medium mouthfeel
Nothing really separated this from a regular wheat beer except for the slight orange taste, I guess I expected a lot more from Bell's.

2.77/5  rDev -24.5%

God, I hate Winter. But I do love beer, so maybe this won't be all bad.

The appearance is a bubbly, yellow-gold body, with a spotty and scummy looking off-white head.

The aroma is metallic, wheaty and a little fruity, like orange.

The fruity notes continue in the flavor, with some grapefruit and orange. The malt is very muted, but noticeable. Sour and spicy hop bitterness on the finish.

The mouthfeel just blew up in my mouth. It is a massive carbonation bomb, uncomfortable and fizzy like a soda.

Don't see myself wanting this again, because the mouthfeel is just a disaster. The flavor is decent for the style, and just spicy and fruity enough to make it drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

Cloudy gold in appearance. Smell is to much like your typical Witbier. Mouthfeel is standard for this syle of beer. Falls short for a winter style beer. Taste, the spices stick in the mouth, this takes away from the desirability. Overall this beer is way to typical and the spices take away from this beer. Not our cup of brew. Drinkable, just not something we prefer.

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured this into a lager mug glass, or an ale mug glass considering who cares what the glass is called, it's a beer glass.
Pours a light golden color with little to no foam head. Unfiltered beer so lots of stuff floating around in it if you hold it to the light.
Smell fruity and malty.
Tastes slight bitter and malty, not quite an IPA taste but getting there.
Drinks smooth, light carbonation.
Overall it's alright, like most Bell's I've had it has that IPA bitter taste but in this one it isn't too much.

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a golden yellowish, a light color really. Very cloudy. Small head retention. No lacing to be seen.

Aroma is typical citrus, nothing special here...maybe a little yeast.

First taste is lemon. Some malt... Taste, for some reason seems a little artificial.

Mouthful is...eh' slight citrus. Light, yet a little thick. It is crisp however. Little spice to it too.

I think this would have been a better beer to drink in the summer actually. Not horrible, not great.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Hazy, yellow color. Minimal white head.

S: Light citrus, and light, dried fruits, banana, etc.

T: Wheatish bite, some citrus and banana, and a little bit of spice.

M: Light body with moderate carbonation.

D: Somewhat drinkable. At this point, I'm losing interest in witbiers, but still a good summertime diversion.

Compliments of Lackenhauser

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a pale straw with lots of yeast in suspension. A thick creamy head collapsed in a couple minutes.

S--- Sweet smelling tropical fruit with clove and vanilla.

T--- I wish it tasted as good as it smells. It was very acidic and flavorless. My tongue hates me right now

M--- Good carbonation and to style.

D---A little disappointing flavor wise but I’m happy I got to try it.

Batch 8780

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with 1/4 inch of foam that left a fine layer of bubble

S - very little aroma on this one, faint hints of lemon and some yeast

T - not much in the taste department, a bit of lemon and I swear a chalkiness

M/D - Not really what I was expecting, there didn't seem to be much to this one at all.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Sampled on 3-6-07
Batch 7760
Bottled on 12-13-06

Pours a very light and somewhat cloudy golden color, with carbonation that bubbles to the surface.

Smells like a wheat beer, with distinct Belgian yeast character.

Taste is strong on Belgian yeast, with a summery wheat backbone and a slight hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a little thicker and probably the most wintery part of the beer.

Drinkability is average, this beer just doesn't offer enough to warrant another.

Overall this is definately a witbier, but not really a "winter white". I can see what Bell's was going for here, but this beer is really an answer to a question no one asked.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a mug from a 12 oz bottle.

A golden blonde, bubbly, cloudy ale pours out. Save at least an ounce of beer to your pour to swirl up the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. If not, it pours out in a dark grey sludge. Head goes fast...blink and you'll miss it. No lacing.
Aroma is of wheat, yeast, citrus, vanilla, buttered popcorn, and some floral notes. It's fragrant to say the least, but not exactly my cup of beer.

The taste doesn't wake up my mouth by any means. Hints of spice and bread. It's almost like Bell's tried going belgium with this beer but stopped short. Mouthfeel is under-carbonated, smooth, yet a bit bland in its smoothness. A slight aftertaste lingers for a while, but not long. All in all, this white lacks complexity and taste. I expected a bit more from the good brewer's at Bell's.

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Tasted 16 January 2015.

Pours a pale golden yellow, 98% clear. A thin column of bubbles in the center. Not much head, and what there is is gone fast.

Smell is a thin, faint version of a wit. A bit of spice, a bit of yeast. But mostly, just emptiness.

Taste is similar to the smell. If anything, it's worse. Grainy, bland, faintly sweet.

Feel is not very good. Flat, and just blah. Could be a whole lot better with a little more lively carbonation.

One word describes this beer: blah. Nothing particularly notable about it. Perhaps the worst beer I've had from Bell's.

2.9/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very cloudy yellow body, almost opaque. Lots of yeasties. White head with little retention or lacing.

Smells spicy, but with lots of bannana.

First there is some nice spiciness, but next there is just a ton of bannana flavor. A little bit of wheat bite. Too much bannana for me. Mouthfeel is pretty good though.

Drinkability is ok for a wheat beer. Strong bannana throws me off.

This beer has potential, but is too unbalanced for me. For those who like bannanas a lot, it would be a winner.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a gold to light yellow color that is cloudy looking. A very tiny head develops which fades very fast. Lots of carbonation going on in my glass.

S - Smells of wheat and yeast. Lots of strong spices come through after. Not what I thought I was getting into.

T - Tastes of wheat right off the bat with just kind of a mish mash of stuff coming after. Some spice some sweet. Overall just kinda... bleh.

M - Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. I was expecting something heavier and warmer. More like the traditional winter brews.

D - Drinkability of this is ok I guess, just not what I thought, I suppose. I will not buying this again. I'll stick to my heavy warming winter beverages.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle poured into weizen, no freshness date

Four finger white head

Average combo of Hefe and Wit. Truthfully, I was expecting far more from a great brewery such as Bell’s. Banana and bubblegum paired with Belgian Candi-sugar. I wanted more!!

The aroma was mainly malt and bubblegum, very silly beer

No substance and all water!

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow/ pale orange color with a white head. In the aroma, wheaty, orange citrus, and corriander. In the taste, kind of watery for a wit and hints of corriander. A small bite, but overall smooth mouthfeel, with a dry, small bitter corriandr aftertaste. Light and easy, good all around, except for somewhat watery in the taste.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a cloudy orange with absolutely no head at all. You can tell this beer is unfiltered.

Strong bready yeast flavor and thick wheat malts.

Lemons and heavy, very juicy orange citrus, coriander, cloves, and strong spice. The cloves, coriander, and winter spices are a little too overwhelming. Bell's may have hit what they were aiming for here but I'm not liking this too much.

Semi thin, decent carbonation but I would expect more for the style.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.