Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,957
2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

This is a decent, inoffensive and light tasting beer that isn't very complex. I'm a little disappointed because seasonal beers tend towards possessing attributes that fit with the season-- halloween gets the crop of pumpkin flavored beers, summer sometimes rustles up some sort of jalapeno-flavored creation and so on. This *winter beer* has nothing "wintry" about it apart from the name and the label artwork-- certainly nothing that suggests the scents and smells of winter (cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, chocolate, burning wood or even a decade-old, rock hard fruitcake.) The scents are typical average witbier: bread, wheat and yeast. There's a slight hint of citrus but it's gone quickly and doesn't translate into taste-- which is similarly average. So, why am I paying 11 bucks for a six pack of this when I could be trying that Allagash Dubbel I passed over? (860 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: Hmmm. Looks like a witbier, only darker. That means more yeast, more beast. Dark yellow urine color, head of white that disappears in a blink. Curious, but not appealing.

Smell: Yeast, yeast and more....yeah, well. Maybe some lemon or perhaps some clove, but mostly....YEAST.

Taste: Whew. This is thicker than any White ale I've ever tasted; even more thick than any hefe. This is chock full of cloudy bastard yeast and it's too much; for any season. Ok; I give it the clove and some faint lemon, a little pepper spice, and a real raw wheat taste. Like right off a thresher. Too rough, not sweet enough, and too much yeast.

Mouthfeel: Rich, cloudy, clumpy and creamy. Not really what I like in a wit. Too heavy for all purposes.

Drinkability: I asked just to make sure I didn't get the bottom of a keg. Nope, was the reply. No, in fact we tapped this yesterday. You might be the 2nd person to have tried it. I think they missed their season, and I really wasn't impressed with this. Maybe try a double white instead of this murky mess. My first lackluster Bell's. (1,089 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle, containing "a seasonally nuanced wheat ale that is both stylish and refreshing" poured into a pint glass.

Light orange color, with 1/2 a finger of head that vanishes quickly. A ton of carbonation; some sticks to the outside of the glass and there is still a lot bubbling up from the center. Almost a nice beer to look at.

Smells of mainly orange peels and to be honest, not much else. Not enough alcohol to be present on the nose and for the most part it's just orange.

The taste is mostly lemon-juice like, which is weird since there is no lemon on the nose. Kind of a chalk-dust taste that seems to be the product of lemon meets a sickly amount of carbonation. Yeah, this beer is slightly off-putting.

The mouthfeel leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very carbonated beer- as in the first sip, mid-palate and finish are all full of carbonation. To be honest, this is dissapointing.

Drinkability? You could drink it all night...but why would you. This, especially coming from Bell's is a disappointing beer. I don't see how this is a winter ale (when i let my roomate sample this he remarked that it 'tasted like something we had in the summer'), nor a white ale. Nor a Bell's beer. This beer leaves me confused, about most things except my liking for this beer. Which is almost non-existent. It even starts to look like Tang after awhile. I'm almost afraid to write this, but I kind of like Tang more. Blah. (1,432 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: A very hazy yellowish amber color, with a thin white colored head that has no retention and not much lacing

Smell: Very fruity and citrusy aromas, has a bit of a musty smell to it as well. The citrusy aromas are very prominent

Taste: Very fruity and spicy taste right up front. Followed by a citrusy orangeish taste that leaves a little bitter taste in your mouth. Overall has a very strong taste

Mouthfeel: Very light body with very minimal carbonation. Very thick on the palate but not thick enough for its class

Overall: Very poor example of a witbier. Doesn’t seem thick enough but it does have good smell and great appearance (648 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured a golden wheat color with very little head that quickly disappeared.
Faint smell of oranges, hops and spices
Lite carbonation with medium mouthfeel
Nothing really separated this from a regular wheat beer except for the slight orange taste, I guess I expected a lot more from Bell's. (289 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -24.7%

God, I hate Winter. But I do love beer, so maybe this won't be all bad.

The appearance is a bubbly, yellow-gold body, with a spotty and scummy looking off-white head.

The aroma is metallic, wheaty and a little fruity, like orange.

The fruity notes continue in the flavor, with some grapefruit and orange. The malt is very muted, but noticeable. Sour and spicy hop bitterness on the finish.

The mouthfeel just blew up in my mouth. It is a massive carbonation bomb, uncomfortable and fizzy like a soda.

Don't see myself wanting this again, because the mouthfeel is just a disaster. The flavor is decent for the style, and just spicy and fruity enough to make it drinkable. (675 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Cloudy gold in appearance. Smell is to much like your typical Witbier. Mouthfeel is standard for this syle of beer. Falls short for a winter style beer. Taste, the spices stick in the mouth, this takes away from the desirability. Overall this beer is way to typical and the spices take away from this beer. Not our cup of brew. Drinkable, just not something we prefer. (368 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a golden yellowish, a light color really. Very cloudy. Small head retention. No lacing to be seen.

Aroma is typical citrus, nothing special here...maybe a little yeast.

First taste is lemon. Some malt... Taste, for some reason seems a little artificial.

Mouthful is...eh' slight citrus. Light, yet a little thick. It is crisp however. Little spice to it too.

I think this would have been a better beer to drink in the summer actually. Not horrible, not great. (470 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Hazy, yellow color. Minimal white head.

S: Light citrus, and light, dried fruits, banana, etc.

T: Wheatish bite, some citrus and banana, and a little bit of spice.

M: Light body with moderate carbonation.

D: Somewhat drinkable. At this point, I'm losing interest in witbiers, but still a good summertime diversion. (321 characters)

Compliments of Lackenhauser

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a pale straw with lots of yeast in suspension. A thick creamy head collapsed in a couple minutes.

S--- Sweet smelling tropical fruit with clove and vanilla.

T--- I wish it tasted as good as it smells. It was very acidic and flavorless. My tongue hates me right now

M--- Good carbonation and to style.

D---A little disappointing flavor wise but I’m happy I got to try it. (462 characters)

Batch 8780

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with 1/4 inch of foam that left a fine layer of bubble

S - very little aroma on this one, faint hints of lemon and some yeast

T - not much in the taste department, a bit of lemon and I swear a chalkiness

M/D - Not really what I was expecting, there didn't seem to be much to this one at all. (336 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

Sampled on 3-6-07
Batch 7760
Bottled on 12-13-06

Pours a very light and somewhat cloudy golden color, with carbonation that bubbles to the surface.

Smells like a wheat beer, with distinct Belgian yeast character.

Taste is strong on Belgian yeast, with a summery wheat backbone and a slight hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a little thicker and probably the most wintery part of the beer.

Drinkability is average, this beer just doesn't offer enough to warrant another.

Overall this is definately a witbier, but not really a "winter white". I can see what Bell's was going for here, but this beer is really an answer to a question no one asked. (669 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a mug from a 12 oz bottle.

A golden blonde, bubbly, cloudy ale pours out. Save at least an ounce of beer to your pour to swirl up the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. If not, it pours out in a dark grey sludge. Head goes fast...blink and you'll miss it. No lacing.
Aroma is of wheat, yeast, citrus, vanilla, buttered popcorn, and some floral notes. It's fragrant to say the least, but not exactly my cup of beer.

The taste doesn't wake up my mouth by any means. Hints of spice and bread. It's almost like Bell's tried going belgium with this beer but stopped short. Mouthfeel is under-carbonated, smooth, yet a bit bland in its smoothness. A slight aftertaste lingers for a while, but not long. All in all, this white lacks complexity and taste. I expected a bit more from the good brewer's at Bell's. (829 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Tasted 16 January 2015.

Pours a pale golden yellow, 98% clear. A thin column of bubbles in the center. Not much head, and what there is is gone fast.

Smell is a thin, faint version of a wit. A bit of spice, a bit of yeast. But mostly, just emptiness.

Taste is similar to the smell. If anything, it's worse. Grainy, bland, faintly sweet.

Feel is not very good. Flat, and just blah. Could be a whole lot better with a little more lively carbonation.

One word describes this beer: blah. Nothing particularly notable about it. Perhaps the worst beer I've had from Bell's. (572 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very cloudy yellow body, almost opaque. Lots of yeasties. White head with little retention or lacing.

Smells spicy, but with lots of bannana.

First there is some nice spiciness, but next there is just a ton of bannana flavor. A little bit of wheat bite. Too much bannana for me. Mouthfeel is pretty good though.

Drinkability is ok for a wheat beer. Strong bannana throws me off.

This beer has potential, but is too unbalanced for me. For those who like bannanas a lot, it would be a winner. (494 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a gold to light yellow color that is cloudy looking. A very tiny head develops which fades very fast. Lots of carbonation going on in my glass.

S - Smells of wheat and yeast. Lots of strong spices come through after. Not what I thought I was getting into.

T - Tastes of wheat right off the bat with just kind of a mish mash of stuff coming after. Some spice some sweet. Overall just kinda... bleh.

M - Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. I was expecting something heavier and warmer. More like the traditional winter brews.

D - Drinkability of this is ok I guess, just not what I thought, I suppose. I will not buying this again. I'll stick to my heavy warming winter beverages. (728 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle poured into weizen, no freshness date

Four finger white head

Average combo of Hefe and Wit. Truthfully, I was expecting far more from a great brewery such as Bell’s. Banana and bubblegum paired with Belgian Candi-sugar. I wanted more!!

The aroma was mainly malt and bubblegum, very silly beer

No substance and all water! (333 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a cloudy yellow/ pale orange color with a white head. In the aroma, wheaty, orange citrus, and corriander. In the taste, kind of watery for a wit and hints of corriander. A small bite, but overall smooth mouthfeel, with a dry, small bitter corriandr aftertaste. Light and easy, good all around, except for somewhat watery in the taste. (341 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a cloudy orange with absolutely no head at all. You can tell this beer is unfiltered.

Strong bready yeast flavor and thick wheat malts.

Lemons and heavy, very juicy orange citrus, coriander, cloves, and strong spice. The cloves, coriander, and winter spices are a little too overwhelming. Bell's may have hit what they were aiming for here but I'm not liking this too much.

Semi thin, decent carbonation but I would expect more for the style. (452 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -19.3%

A - straw colored with a thin head that dissapated with in a minute.

S - Has a fairly strong wheaty/bready aroma with a spicyness and slight hop aroma.

T - Definately taste the wheatyness and the coriander. Not much else though. Also, has some bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - Light to medium bodied.

O - Wasn't overly impressed with this beer. Had an ok taste, but I've had much better witbier's than this. (420 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -19.3%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was yeasty smelling and looking, cliudy and it had a non-existant head with no lacing whats so ever.
The beer was fruity tasting and almost salty with a hint of oranges or something. Though the beer was drinkable I just did not care for it that much and will not buy again. (332 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -18.8%

It poured a slight golden yellow with a smallish finely bubbled head. Little to no aroma, maybe a very faint biscuit, not sweet at all, no esters. I tastes creamy with no hop taste of aroma. The flavor is very bland, a shocking lack of complexity from what I expect from Bells. Finishes very smooth, very drinkable, and very much lacking in flavor. (348 characters)

Pours out extremely pale yellow with a slight white head on top. Smell is pure wit, almost all wheat with a touch of yeast on the nose, perhaps hints of banana ala Oberon.

Flavour, also trademark wit. The wheat and yeast from the nose are front and centre in the flavour as well. Some lemon present, as well as cloves, but nothing overwhelming. Finish is a decently unique hop bite though. Ok, but like Oberon, nothing that speaks to me.

Mouthfeel, average. Some tingles in the right places, but nothing that will blow you away. Drinkability, par for the style.

More or less Bell's winter version of Oberon, a beer that I'm not that fond of anyway. If you want a light, easy quaffer in December you could do worse though. (724 characters)

Had this out of a bottle and it just left me cold (no pun intended). I'm usually the biggest Bell's cheerleader around, but this is a massively disappointing beer. The smell and taste are extremely average. That's all you can really say about this beer. It's not terrible, but the 9.99 price tag is not justified in the least bit. You can do better than this, Bell's. (367 characters)

Not really crazy about this one. As the scores reflect, it's average all around. Nothing particularly offensive about it, but nothing interesting or redeeming. Golden color, too many bubbles, no real head. Smell and taste have a somewhat pleasing lemony character and some typical spicing, but nothing really catches my interest. It's got a light, pale malt backdrop and a very non-descript hop profile. Still, it isn't exactly bad, just not good. Thin mouthfeel, and like I said, a little too bubbly for the style. This beer would be drinkable but it's just not interesting enough for me to have more than one. Try Bell's other stuff, this is probably my least favorite of the mixed case I got. (695 characters)

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.