Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a mug from a 12 oz bottle.

A golden blonde, bubbly, cloudy ale pours out. Save at least an ounce of beer to your pour to swirl up the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. If not, it pours out in a dark grey sludge. Head goes fast...blink and you'll miss it. No lacing.
Aroma is of wheat, yeast, citrus, vanilla, buttered popcorn, and some floral notes. It's fragrant to say the least, but not exactly my cup of beer.

The taste doesn't wake up my mouth by any means. Hints of spice and bread. It's almost like Bell's tried going belgium with this beer but stopped short. Mouthfeel is under-carbonated, smooth, yet a bit bland in its smoothness. A slight aftertaste lingers for a while, but not long. All in all, this white lacks complexity and taste. I expected a bit more from the good brewer's at Bell's.

2.83/5  rDev -22%

Sampled on 3-6-07
Batch 7760
Bottled on 12-13-06

Pours a very light and somewhat cloudy golden color, with carbonation that bubbles to the surface.

Smells like a wheat beer, with distinct Belgian yeast character.

Taste is strong on Belgian yeast, with a summery wheat backbone and a slight hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a little thicker and probably the most wintery part of the beer.

Drinkability is average, this beer just doesn't offer enough to warrant another.

Overall this is definately a witbier, but not really a "winter white". I can see what Bell's was going for here, but this beer is really an answer to a question no one asked.

2.83/5  rDev -22%

Pours a golden yellowish, a light color really. Very cloudy. Small head retention. No lacing to be seen.

Aroma is typical citrus, nothing special here...maybe a little yeast.

First taste is lemon. Some malt... Taste, for some reason seems a little artificial.

Mouthful is...eh' slight citrus. Light, yet a little thick. It is crisp however. Little spice to it too.

I think this would have been a better beer to drink in the summer actually. Not horrible, not great.

2.84/5  rDev -21.8%

2.84/5  rDev -21.8%

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Hazy, yellow color. Minimal white head.

S: Light citrus, and light, dried fruits, banana, etc.

T: Wheatish bite, some citrus and banana, and a little bit of spice.

M: Light body with moderate carbonation.

D: Somewhat drinkable. At this point, I'm losing interest in witbiers, but still a good summertime diversion.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very cloudy yellow body, almost opaque. Lots of yeasties. White head with little retention or lacing.

Smells spicy, but with lots of bannana.

First there is some nice spiciness, but next there is just a ton of bannana flavor. A little bit of wheat bite. Too much bannana for me. Mouthfeel is pretty good though.

Drinkability is ok for a wheat beer. Strong bannana throws me off.

This beer has potential, but is too unbalanced for me. For those who like bannanas a lot, it would be a winner.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

Bottle poured into weizen, no freshness date

Four finger white head

Average combo of Hefe and Wit. Truthfully, I was expecting far more from a great brewery such as Bell’s. Banana and bubblegum paired with Belgian Candi-sugar. I wanted more!!

The aroma was mainly malt and bubblegum, very silly beer

No substance and all water!

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a cloudy yellow/ pale orange color with a white head. In the aroma, wheaty, orange citrus, and corriander. In the taste, kind of watery for a wit and hints of corriander. A small bite, but overall smooth mouthfeel, with a dry, small bitter corriandr aftertaste. Light and easy, good all around, except for somewhat watery in the taste.

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a cloudy orange with absolutely no head at all. You can tell this beer is unfiltered.

Strong bready yeast flavor and thick wheat malts.

Lemons and heavy, very juicy orange citrus, coriander, cloves, and strong spice. The cloves, coriander, and winter spices are a little too overwhelming. Bell's may have hit what they were aiming for here but I'm not liking this too much.

Semi thin, decent carbonation but I would expect more for the style.

2.92/5  rDev -19.6%

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a gold to light yellow color that is cloudy looking. A very tiny head develops which fades very fast. Lots of carbonation going on in my glass.

S - Smells of wheat and yeast. Lots of strong spices come through after. Not what I thought I was getting into.

T - Tastes of wheat right off the bat with just kind of a mish mash of stuff coming after. Some spice some sweet. Overall just kinda... bleh.

M - Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. I was expecting something heavier and warmer. More like the traditional winter brews.

D - Drinkability of this is ok I guess, just not what I thought, I suppose. I will not buying this again. I'll stick to my heavy warming winter beverages.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

A - straw colored with a thin head that dissapated with in a minute.

S - Has a fairly strong wheaty/bready aroma with a spicyness and slight hop aroma.

T - Definately taste the wheatyness and the coriander. Not much else though. Also, has some bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - Light to medium bodied.

O - Wasn't overly impressed with this beer. Had an ok taste, but I've had much better witbier's than this.

12oz bottle into a pint-

Appearance- Pours a hazy gold with minimal head and no retention.

Aroma- Light notes of yeast spice, torrified wheat. Pretty meh.

Taste- Sweet malt, orange peel, no chewy bread taste.

Mouth- Thin and not much carbonation.

Drink- Very high, I could easily drink a 6 pack of these in a short period of time.

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was yeasty smelling and looking, cliudy and it had a non-existant head with no lacing whats so ever.
The beer was fruity tasting and almost salty with a hint of oranges or something. Though the beer was drinkable I just did not care for it that much and will not buy again.

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

I've always been a fan of Bell's products, so I was looking forward to giving this a try. Maybe I had built up too much anticipation because, in the end, I was a bit disappointed.

A- Cloudy yellow. Poured with a very small head, very little retention...a small lace around 2/3 of the rim.

S- Smelled like the outside of my favorite bakery around 6am. Yeasty...bread...My sniffer is a bit clogged this evening...so I'm not catching the fruit/citrus aromas others indicated (this may influence the taste as well).

T- Pretty much went with the smell. Kind of tasted like drinking a slice of light wheat bread.

M- It sort of fell flat in the mouth. Fairly smooth, but definitely no excitement.

D- It's definitely drinkable. But, I'm not sure I'll revisit this one. There are other witbier's and winter ales I prefer.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.