Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,952 | Reviews: 699
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle born 11/13/14 poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Gold, cloudy and murky. Half finger head that moves to a 2 mm lace.

S - A brief thought of skunk, replaced by grains, banana, clove, and spices.

T- Banana, clove, spice, fruits. Malt on the finish.

M - Fairly light and crisp, carbonation medium, not overly sharp.

O - Personally, I dont partake in a lot of white/wheat ales, but this one is enjoyable and seems above average for the style.

2.44/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Not to my liking. A style I really gotten a tast for

4.02/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light yellow pour without much head. Tastes very similar to blue moon or shock top. Easy to drink, pretty good seasonal. Not strong at 5% and not a particularly mind blowing beer but solid overall.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is more of a refreshing summer brew. I would like this after mowing the lawn. The smell is citrusy, with a splash of bubble gum and banana. The taste is about the same with a slight tang and is fairly spritzy. Not bad, but not exciting. Save one for summer. I probably wouldn't get it again.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Imbibed at the Bell's Eccentric Cafe in a Spiegelau Witbier glass. It really does make a difference. Also, be sure not to drink this at too low of a temperature. Overall, I have become a fan.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like wheat ales. I like witbier. But I don't care for this one.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typing out characters as required by this site now to rate.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Seems a little watered down

2.44/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok but unsure where, when and what

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Tastes too much like a hoegaarden to me which isn't my style. Not a fan.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured it into their new glassware! They are very cool!. Solid wheat ale for the holiday

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really good beer in its class

4.54/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

soft golden color, it does have a cloudiness. It has a light citrus odor. This is a very tasty, easy drinking beer. It reminds me of a blend between a Honey Weiss and Blue Moon. There is a slight aftertaste that reminds me of a Belgian tripel wheat just not as pronounced. This was a winner if you don't care for real dark or hoppy beers

Bell's Winter White Ale brewed by Bell's Brewery, Inc. This brew has an ABV of 5.0 % Winter White Ale pours out cloudy amber color with a nice off white head. This is an unfiltered brew you can not see though it. The smell is sweet with some grain and malts. Winter White Ale smell is really mild. Now for the taste, it is sweet like fruit juice. You pick up on some malts, but it mild. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Winter White Ale has a nice balance to it. Bell's Brewery, Inc. did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving Bell's Winter White Ale a solid 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy with a freshness date. Sample from the brewery.

Cloudy and heady. Yeast, grain, spice, & bread in the nose. Ample crispness leads to a deep smoothness. Peppery, clove spiciness, rind-like, coconut water, nutty yeast, pineapple, dusty biscuits, & faint medicinal notes in the aroma and palate.

Damn cool, fermented with Belgian yeast ... no spices used so this is sort of a pale lighter Belgian winter warmer and not a Witbier at all in a sense but it is none the less.

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this on tap at my local pub. The beer had a nice light golden color with a smallish white head and minimal lacing. A slight fruity, yeasty smell also comes out in the taste. No taste of coriander or clove, but it does have a good, crisp mouthfeel. Overall, I would say this is a pretty solid witbier and I would order it again.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

I know this often gets rated lower than most Bell's beers, or many beers in general, but I like it. To me, it's a simple, refreshing, everyday winter beer that's goes down easy. I can drink it with dinner or while watching the ballgame. I like the fruitiness and the spices. I will admit that it borders on a summer beer rather than a winter, but I truly enjoy it. It's one of those beers I try not to overthink -- I just like it as a solid, simple, balanced beer.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice take on this style. An American brewed Belgian witbier that stands up to some of the more notable representations here and abroad.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice dark and hazy gold. The white head burns off quickly. The aroma is light hit has nice light spice and wheat notes. The taste is much the same if not a little more robust. It has nice thickness and a pleasant hint of carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

I had beer at my local taproom. A/cloudy yellow glass was brought to me in a standard pint glass. S/I didn't pick up too much here, just a touch of yeast and hops. T/Not much going on here. I got a small amount of hops, banana, and yeast. O/ Light easy drinking beer. Not very complex but very enjoyable and non offensive. I found that the remainder of my glass went very well with the pizza that was brought to me. I would pick this up for a lazy afternoon where you just want something light.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Normally don't go in for Wits but this is pretty good. Pours a very pale cloudy yellow. Heavier mouthfeel. Light and "belgiany" overall, slight spice (apparently just from the malts, the description says none were added) and fruity on the nose and palate. Abrupt finish.

Where did all that head run off too? Seems under-carbonated. Banana, pineapple, funky yeast on the nose but none of that in the flavor. Crisp and clean to a fault. Not offensive, but wont cop again.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The first beer I have ever had from bells that was a let down, and honestly one of the few that wasn't amazing. This pours thick and murky tired yellow with basically no head from the tap. It's got a ton of viscosity and minimal carbonation, the opposite of what I look for in the style. Banana yeast and spice and orange esters in the nose, some citrus to the taste, but way too much grain here, especially the wheat. It lacks all the delicate features of the bets wits, and warms up ugly. I'm surprised this came from bells. It's not a bad beer, but it's nowhere near their full potential. I see the winter side of it, and appreciate the attempt, but I just doesn't pan put here

Was super excited when I saw the amount of yeast at the bottom of bottle but to be honest it didn't live up to my expectations. I was on a beer tour this particular evening and had enjoyed an unibroue Blanche de chambly earlier in the evening and when compared to this other north American brew I found myself disappointed but it's not a bad Belgian white. I just found the unibroue better. Still, better than most American Belgian whites

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance - 4/5
Light golden orange, with about 1/2 finger of white head upon pouring, dissipates to a ring of carbonation on the edges. Very hazy, can't see through it at all. Overall I really like the color and the haziness. I would have liked more head to stay around.

Smell - 3.5/5
A bready aroma with earthy spiciness, similar to some saisons. Orange peel and lemon.

Taste - 3.6/5
Tastes basically like the aroma. A bready spicy flavor, with orange and lemon citrus flavors. The flavor is okay, not really what I was expecting from this beer though.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
Smooth and crisp, light to medium in body, a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall - 3.5/5
Overall this is a decent beer. My one complaint is that this is marketed as a "Winter" beer, but to me this beer screams "SUMMER". I don't want to drink this in the winter. This beer is something I would drink outside on a warm summer evening.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.