Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,951 | Reviews: 699
3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured it into their new glassware! They are very cool!. Solid wheat ale for the holiday

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really good beer in its class

4.54/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

soft golden color, it does have a cloudiness. It has a light citrus odor. This is a very tasty, easy drinking beer. It reminds me of a blend between a Honey Weiss and Blue Moon. There is a slight aftertaste that reminds me of a Belgian tripel wheat just not as pronounced. This was a winner if you don't care for real dark or hoppy beers

Bell's Winter White Ale brewed by Bell's Brewery, Inc. This brew has an ABV of 5.0 % Winter White Ale pours out cloudy amber color with a nice off white head. This is an unfiltered brew you can not see though it. The smell is sweet with some grain and malts. Winter White Ale smell is really mild. Now for the taste, it is sweet like fruit juice. You pick up on some malts, but it mild. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Winter White Ale has a nice balance to it. Bell's Brewery, Inc. did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving Bell's Winter White Ale a solid 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy with a freshness date. Sample from the brewery.

Cloudy and heady. Yeast, grain, spice, & bread in the nose. Ample crispness leads to a deep smoothness. Peppery, clove spiciness, rind-like, coconut water, nutty yeast, pineapple, dusty biscuits, & faint medicinal notes in the aroma and palate.

Damn cool, fermented with Belgian yeast ... no spices used so this is sort of a pale lighter Belgian winter warmer and not a Witbier at all in a sense but it is none the less.

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this on tap at my local pub. The beer had a nice light golden color with a smallish white head and minimal lacing. A slight fruity, yeasty smell also comes out in the taste. No taste of coriander or clove, but it does have a good, crisp mouthfeel. Overall, I would say this is a pretty solid witbier and I would order it again.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

I know this often gets rated lower than most Bell's beers, or many beers in general, but I like it. To me, it's a simple, refreshing, everyday winter beer that's goes down easy. I can drink it with dinner or while watching the ballgame. I like the fruitiness and the spices. I will admit that it borders on a summer beer rather than a winter, but I truly enjoy it. It's one of those beers I try not to overthink -- I just like it as a solid, simple, balanced beer.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice take on this style. An American brewed Belgian witbier that stands up to some of the more notable representations here and abroad.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice dark and hazy gold. The white head burns off quickly. The aroma is light hit has nice light spice and wheat notes. The taste is much the same if not a little more robust. It has nice thickness and a pleasant hint of carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

I had beer at my local taproom. A/cloudy yellow glass was brought to me in a standard pint glass. S/I didn't pick up too much here, just a touch of yeast and hops. T/Not much going on here. I got a small amount of hops, banana, and yeast. O/ Light easy drinking beer. Not very complex but very enjoyable and non offensive. I found that the remainder of my glass went very well with the pizza that was brought to me. I would pick this up for a lazy afternoon where you just want something light.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Normally don't go in for Wits but this is pretty good. Pours a very pale cloudy yellow. Heavier mouthfeel. Light and "belgiany" overall, slight spice (apparently just from the malts, the description says none were added) and fruity on the nose and palate. Abrupt finish.

Where did all that head run off too? Seems under-carbonated. Banana, pineapple, funky yeast on the nose but none of that in the flavor. Crisp and clean to a fault. Not offensive, but wont cop again.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The first beer I have ever had from bells that was a let down, and honestly one of the few that wasn't amazing. This pours thick and murky tired yellow with basically no head from the tap. It's got a ton of viscosity and minimal carbonation, the opposite of what I look for in the style. Banana yeast and spice and orange esters in the nose, some citrus to the taste, but way too much grain here, especially the wheat. It lacks all the delicate features of the bets wits, and warms up ugly. I'm surprised this came from bells. It's not a bad beer, but it's nowhere near their full potential. I see the winter side of it, and appreciate the attempt, but I just doesn't pan put here

Was super excited when I saw the amount of yeast at the bottom of bottle but to be honest it didn't live up to my expectations. I was on a beer tour this particular evening and had enjoyed an unibroue Blanche de chambly earlier in the evening and when compared to this other north American brew I found myself disappointed but it's not a bad Belgian white. I just found the unibroue better. Still, better than most American Belgian whites

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance - 4/5
Light golden orange, with about 1/2 finger of white head upon pouring, dissipates to a ring of carbonation on the edges. Very hazy, can't see through it at all. Overall I really like the color and the haziness. I would have liked more head to stay around.

Smell - 3.5/5
A bready aroma with earthy spiciness, similar to some saisons. Orange peel and lemon.

Taste - 3.6/5
Tastes basically like the aroma. A bready spicy flavor, with orange and lemon citrus flavors. The flavor is okay, not really what I was expecting from this beer though.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
Smooth and crisp, light to medium in body, a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall - 3.5/5
Overall this is a decent beer. My one complaint is that this is marketed as a "Winter" beer, but to me this beer screams "SUMMER". I don't want to drink this in the winter. This beer is something I would drink outside on a warm summer evening.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

3.42/5  rDev -5.5%

Hazy straw color. Funky nose. Wheat and funky yeast dominate the flavor profile.

Basic.

I don't get wits in general but I really don't get the winter wit seasonal at all. Winter is a time for hearty beers.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

I find it hard to enjoy winter seasonal beer typically. On the other hand, Bells Winter White Ale is a wonderful exception. Tried in a tall boy pint, it has a very refreshing taste (I imagine even more robust from a tap). Although I didn't see color, aroma is slighty citrus, and that is the definition of the finish. The Belgian yeast makes this an incredibly enjoyable beer! I found a winter seasonal that I would definitely order again (hopefully on tap....).

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: opaque lemon yellow, cloudy, small white head with zero retention

Smell: biscuity, grains, oats

Taste: refreshing, floral, soda water, simple

Mouthfeel: light, watery, well carbonated

Overall: Drinkable session beer I'd return to someday, but not my favorite Bell's.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Meh. Totally drinkable but also totally meh. Given the quality of their other offerings I was expecting more.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in a Green Bay Packers pint glass. Bottled 10/03/14

Pours a cloudy pale yellowish orange with a 1 finger of frothy white head that withers down gradually. I left 2/3 in the bottle and swirled to add the additional yeast at the bottom. It made the appearance slightly more cloudy. Aromas of fresh picked bananas, bubblegum, white bread, and maybe a slight hint of lemon zest. Taste smacks you with bananas and bubblegum upfront followed by a yeasty bready finish or perhaps sour? Surprisingly heavy and chewy mouthfeel for a Witbier. I feel like I am taking a bite of banana on each sip. I guess it makes sense considering its a wheat beer brewed with winter in mind.

As the notes suggest the brewer did not use any spices, only a blend of their brewers yeast, barley, and wheat. I think this beer would benefit from some species of coriander and lemon. You definitely get the hefe and wit characteristics but I feel like it needs to make up its mind. Easy drinker and somewhat sessionable. Great for family get togethers around the holidays when you want something fun and light without being boring.

Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

had on tap. was good beer, but considered it fitting for a hot summer day.

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

16 ounce can, dated 09/30/14

Can pours a hazy, straw colored yellow with a slowly dissipating, two finger white head.

Aroma is solid with notes of cloves, Belgian yeast and coriander, along with notes of lemon zest and wheat.

Taste is really follows the nose initially, with the bready wheat base and cloves shining midpalate. The finish is notably defined by the coriander and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, aided by lively carbonation. Bitterness is almost nonexistent, added to only by the clove.

Overall, extremely solid Witbier from Bell's. I would love if this were available in the summer (especially over Oberon), but it is a nice switch up from all the winter stouts.

Big bready nose seasoned with clove and a hint of banana.
Pours a cloudy straw with a mere wisp of a head.
The flavor profile is more Bavarian than Belgian despite the use of Belgian Ale yeast while the body is a shade more Belgian.
Light, more crisp than creamy.

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Not sure why, but this beer loves to foam up and up and up...
It's decent beer, but there's a supernatural amount of foaming going on here.

Don't swirl the particulates at the bottom lest you face the wrath of THE HEAD.
A tasty brew nonetheless. Winter usually calls for bold stouts, but this one seems like a fair trade, once it settles the heck down in the glass.

Turn down the subwoofer or get a face full of foam!

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, this style is unexpected as a winter seasonal. Perhaps it would be fitting somewhere in the sunbelt, but from Michigan, it's an unorthodox time to offer said style. Winter is almost over, so let's commemorate the end with a bottle of Bell's. Packaged on 10/31/13, on to the beer:

An inch of soapy head sits on top this cloudy yellowish beer. That head on top is retaining well, slowly dropping to a creamy lace.The aroma is pleasant, with creamy oats, citrus peel, and vague sweet citrus fuming into the nostrils.

This witbier offers little bits of the usual witbier with a solid foundation. In other words, the malt/wheat base is pleasing and little bits of spice, citrus, and yeast stick to it. A little bitter towards the end. The beer is light bodied with initially strong bubbly carbonation which dies off to a less bubbly intensity.

Easy drinking beer out of Bell's, even if it isn't up to the same high standard set by its stable mates.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.