Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

good

good

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 677 | Hads: 1,955
3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

This was quite similar to Great Lakes Holy Moses. There were spicy notes in both the flavor and aroma with elements of coriander, orange and wheat. This is surprisingly drinkable for a winter white ale with moderate alcohol and a very clean flavor and finish. This would probably taste good at any time of the year. (315 characters)

No matter how much I swirled the last third around, I couldn't get all that yeasty goodness from the bottom of the bottle. Oh well.

A - Poured into a tulip, cloudy golden wheat color with a foamy 1-2 finger head, not much retention but does leave some pretty lacing.

S - Wheat, spicy yeasty goodness. No hops. Kind of smells Belgian.

T - First thing I noticed was the yeast. spicy, fruity, funky. Then the wheat. It seems like the two are battling each other for dominance. I like that. The yeast seems to be a bit more in-your-face than in years past. Sour finish.

M - Pretty active carbonation, to be expected for a witbier.

O - While not the best winter offering from Bell's, it's still a staple. I try to pick up a sixer at least once a winter. (753 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

Bells WWA was a welcome change from the dark heavy winter beers that dominate this part of the year (winter). Beer poured a hazy yllow that left a creamy, foamy head. I can smell hints of orange and corriander. Taste is relatively straight forward, a strong wheat taste that leads to a spicy, hefe-weiss, like finsh on the palate. The drinkability of this beer is great, a perfect counterpart to the traditional winter brews. (425 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a straw-colored yellow, opaque, mild carbonation apparent, with minimal head, gone entirely within several minutes. Nose is strong wheat, honey notes with lemony essence. Carbonation masks much of the flavor up front. More intense than I expected. The numbness in my tongue reminiscent of the aftereffect of cloves. Lemon rind at the back. Bananas in the aftertaste. This is the first wheat-beer I've really enjoyed. I appreciate the complexity and clear notes in this one. Decently drinkable! (499 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured this beer into a Hoogaarden style tumbler

A: Hazy lemon, hints of burnished orange, big head that faded quickly.

S: Big yeasty notes, coriander, hints of lemon and sharp wheat.

T: Wheat notes dominate the palate, hints of yeast, coriander, and lemon are definately secondary here.

M: Both creamy and sharp-very nice

D: I have to say that this is not what I was expecting with a "Winter White Ale." The ABV is low and the sharp wheat flavors make this a better summer brew. Solid, but a step below some other Witbiers, like GLBC's Holy Moses (562 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

I've had other beers from this brewery and loved them, so I decided to pick this up. ($8.99 for a sixer).

This one pours just like you would expect out of a Belgian Wit. Hazy, golden-orange, with a decent bubbly head that stayed in the glass for a while.

Aroma of bannana, orange, vanilla, wheat, coriander, and other spices.

The taste is crisp, full of spices and orange flavor. I do enjoy the mouthfeel of this beer also.

I would say I that I'll be in the store at least one more time to grab this before they run out. Good seasonal beer, although I usually prefer the darker beers during winter. (610 characters)

3.68/5  rDev 0%

A: Light straw colored, no head, opaque. No visible bubbles.

S: Cloves and sweetness. Pretty enticing.

T: Quite sweet, almost cloying, with light lemon and nice spices. Tasty, but maybe a little too sweet.

M: Lots of bubbles and thin.

D: A crisp and sweet beer - but perhaps a little too sweet to really toss these back. (324 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

The beer pours a hazy gold with a sturdy white head of foam. The yeast was strongly stuck to the bottom of the bottle, and a lot of swirling was required to get them in the glass. The aroma is quite sweet and slightly citrusy. There is little orange character to this beer's flavor, but quite a bit of bitterness from the coriander. Mouthfeel is exceptional, enough to remind you that you're not drinking water, but not to overpowering. The carbonation is spot on too. A good beer for the winter or anytime. (507 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

I had beer at my local taproom. A/cloudy yellow glass was brought to me in a standard pint glass. S/I didn't pick up too much here, just a touch of yeast and hops. T/Not much going on here. I got a small amount of hops, banana, and yeast. O/ Light easy drinking beer. Not very complex but very enjoyable and non offensive. I found that the remainder of my glass went very well with the pizza that was brought to me. I would pick this up for a lazy afternoon where you just want something light. (498 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle, containing "a seasonally nuanced wheat ale that is both stylish and refreshing" poured into a pint glass.

Light orange color, with 1/2 a finger of head that vanishes quickly. A ton of carbonation; some sticks to the outside of the glass and there is still a lot bubbling up from the center. Almost a nice beer to look at.

Smells of mainly orange peels and to be honest, not much else. Not enough alcohol to be present on the nose and for the most part it's just orange.

The taste is mostly lemon-juice like, which is weird since there is no lemon on the nose. Kind of a chalk-dust taste that seems to be the product of lemon meets a sickly amount of carbonation. Yeah, this beer is slightly off-putting.

The mouthfeel leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very carbonated beer- as in the first sip, mid-palate and finish are all full of carbonation. To be honest, this is dissapointing.

Drinkability? You could drink it all night...but why would you. This, especially coming from Bell's is a disappointing beer. I don't see how this is a winter ale (when i let my roomate sample this he remarked that it 'tasted like something we had in the summer'), nor a white ale. Nor a Bell's beer. This beer leaves me confused, about most things except my liking for this beer. Which is almost non-existent. It even starts to look like Tang after awhile. I'm almost afraid to write this, but I kind of like Tang more. Blah. (1,432 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Got in a mixed 6 pack just for the hell of it.

a- Pours a hazy golden yellow with a decent bubbly white head that dissipates a little too fast, leaving an unattractive cloudy white film of bubbles for a while.

s- Pretty bland smell of wheat and maybe pine hops. Nothing much comes through.

t/m- Well this is a decent taste but maybe a bit too light for me. Strong bread dough flavor and light spices right up front and throughout with lingering pine hops. I tad bit of banana-y sweetness is hinted at in the middle. I like that the wheat presence is delicious-- probably the most satisfying thing about this beer. It is overall fairly light-bodied.

d- this drinks almost like it was aimed directly at "less filling" folks, so if that's your thing you might be able to put away several of these. It doesn't compel me personally to try another.

I might be being a bit unfair to the style I'm sure, as lighter beers generally don't satisfy me as much. I've liked bell's other beers and so I picked one of these up on a whim. (1,026 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow into a pint glass. Smell is not very strong, overpowered by wheat with some hints of banana. The taste follows as slightly tart, dominated by wheat with hints of banana and maybe some spiciness with a moderately carbonated body.

I guess I don't usually see this style called a winter ale... Seems more like a spring/summer offering, but that doesn't matter too much. Overall a decent witbier. (424 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought in April on clearance, so wasn't expecting much (but I have to rate what I tasted). Decent, per previous reviews, but probably better when fresh, obviously. (163 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

Compliments of Lackenhauser

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a pale straw with lots of yeast in suspension. A thick creamy head collapsed in a couple minutes.

S--- Sweet smelling tropical fruit with clove and vanilla.

T--- I wish it tasted as good as it smells. It was very acidic and flavorless. My tongue hates me right now

M--- Good carbonation and to style.

D---A little disappointing flavor wise but I’m happy I got to try it. (462 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Served on tap. poured a cloudy orange color with small head and no lacing. Smell was wheat with some coriander and clove. Taste is wheat, orange peel, corinander, clove, banana.
Mouthfeel was light with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkabilty was high if you like wheat beers. Not really my favorite style to drink in the winter. Feels like more of a summer beer except for the spices. (387 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

A - It is as it says: white, or really a light straw color. It pours with a small head that disappears fairly quickly.

S - Very citrusy and yeasty, fruity, a hint of banana

T - It looks like a witbier. It tastes like one too, but with a more aggressive and persistent flavor. Lots of citrus and yeast spice across the palate. The follow is lemony and sweet at the same time.

M - Full bodied and refreshing, estery.

D - A most drinkable beer, even more so than the Bell's Christmas

I've seen some critiques of this beer that ding it for being atypical with respect to winter styles. I don't recall seeing a rule that a white ale could not be a winter beer. This kind of innovation in the winter line is very welcome. Sort of an, um, winter welcome. (752 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a hazy golden, straw hue with a decent white head and a good amount of lacing...

S: Yeasty, citrus notes up front with some spiciness and banana that follows...

T: Similar to the nose...citrus-y, yeasty, a little spice...very well balanced, everything you would expect from the style...

M: Crisp, well-carbonated, refreshing...very nice

D: A very enjoyable and easily drinkable brew, what you come to expect with most Bell's products...I would definitely recommend this brew, but my only knock would have to be that a winter 'white ale' seems slightly out of place for the season, albeit delicious... (613 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

All around well crafted ale.

I had the Bell's Winter White at a local bar on tap via a pitcher (not my choice). It pours nice and orangish with a some cloudiness to it.

Taste was quite good. I liked it off the bat and after a couple more tastes, grew to like it more. I have since purchased it in bottle and enjoyed it at home as well.

On tap or in bottle (tap better of course), I recommend this seasonal ale while you can get it. (435 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Hey its Saturday night live with a great wheat beer.The aroma is fruity with a hint of yeast. Full of flavor. With bananas, cloves,and a bit of lemon too.It has a nice golden haze.As far as drinkability I could easily drink these all night. All were missing for a winter ale is more alcohol.The label says abv. is 5.0.The label is nicely designed with trees and snow.Makes me feel like taking a winter walk through the woods to grandma's house.I hope the beer at her house is this good. Other than that this is a very smooth tasting beer.I will be buying more soon. (565 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +25.5%

My typical standard of measurement for wit beers is Hoegaarden. Bell's Winter White might be my new standard. First off, I love that they used the white winter theme to brew a beer like this out of season. Typically, wheat beers can only be found fresh during the summer. It is nice to know you can find one light and refreshing in the winter too as a six-month old wit beer sipped in January would almost certainly be stale. Not this--it had a crisp clean freshness that comes only from hefty doses of wheat played against the musty phenols of the belgian yeast. I could not smell or taste any orange or coriander, lemon or lemongrass, just nice round full bready yeast. Even the color was pale yellow, though not as white as Hoegaarden. It did not feel overly fizzy or thin, as can sometimes be the case for this style. Excellent drinker. High marks all around. (863 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: opaque lemon yellow, cloudy, small white head with zero retention

Smell: biscuity, grains, oats

Taste: refreshing, floral, soda water, simple

Mouthfeel: light, watery, well carbonated

Overall: Drinkable session beer I'd return to someday, but not my favorite Bell's. (284 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Came slightly cloudy gold with not too much head. Had a pinch of banana smell to it. Had some orangish hints in there too. Taste was kinda like bananas in the background too. little bit of spice as well as a light malty finish. Medium to light mouth feel. Very drinkable in my opinion because its a great brew and a lower ABV. Recommended. (339 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

bells winter white pours a straw yellow with small head and minimal retention.

smell is of yeast with nice lemon. good smell.

taste follows the smell, nice nothing really special.

mouthfeel has a bit of carbonation. crisp and refreshing.

Drinkable for the style and in general. I must say I really don't get this release. this would be a fine beer to have six months from now in 90 degree weather. in chicago tonight its single digits with six inches of snow. why would i want a light crisp refreshing beer with no complexity? i am not trashing wit, i actually love the style - in the summer. still its a good wit. maybe there will be some available in the summer. (668 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer will satisfy seasoned beer snobs and newbies alike. The smell is my favorite part, with an almost-aggressive phenol funkiness, with sweet grassy floral notes. After that, it's solid but unremarkable. It has all the right flavors in all the right places, and a little lingering orangy citrus at the end. It's ever-so-slightly thin in a way that makes me unsure whether to knock a half point off of taste or off of mouthfeel. (433 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clean gold with an excellent long lasting 3 finger head. Aromas of banana and bubble gum followed by malt are present on the nose of the beer. Malt and lemon rind on the palate with a watery finish. Small bubbles and and a light body with a medium finish. An ok beer (274 characters)

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.