Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 687 | Hads: 1,999
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Tangfoot.

A: Hazy dark gold, with a thin head that disappates almost immediately, leaving no bubbles whatsoever.

S: Not much. *sniff* Smells like clean beer, but not much else.

T: Lightly sweet malt, a bit of citrus (lemon rind?), a bit of hop oilyness at the end.

M: Goes down easy. Then makes you reach for another swig. I was halfway through before I even noticed it.

D: As I said above. It's simple, it's easy, and it's good drinkin'.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a clear yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smells of wheat, citrus hops and spicey.

Taste starts out sweet with malted barley and wheat. Finishes slightly citrusy and spicey.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is alright, a bit too spicey for me. Could use some more carbonation.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a gold to light yellow color that is cloudy looking. A very tiny head develops which fades very fast. Lots of carbonation going on in my glass.

S - Smells of wheat and yeast. Lots of strong spices come through after. Not what I thought I was getting into.

T - Tastes of wheat right off the bat with just kind of a mish mash of stuff coming after. Some spice some sweet. Overall just kinda... bleh.

M - Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. I was expecting something heavier and warmer. More like the traditional winter brews.

D - Drinkability of this is ok I guess, just not what I thought, I suppose. I will not buying this again. I'll stick to my heavy warming winter beverages.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Bright yellow-golden color. Cloudy from a huge yeast content that was stirred up and poured on top. Thin off-white head which sticks around after the initial pour. Some light carbonation noticeable. The head slowly dissipates with no lacing.

Smell: Spices - coriander/cloves. A pleasant wheat and biscuity yeast aroma with a faint hint of lemon.

Taste: Nice and crisp as I would expect in a witbier. The spices dominate, the wheat up front with a slight lingering citrus bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy, smooth body with mild carbonation that gives it a nice bite.

Drinkability: It's a great winter selection. The heavier body certainly distinguishes it from its summer counterparts. Would love to have another.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

The appearance is golden and cloudy with a white foamy head that quicly disipates. It has a sweet, spicy coriander aroma. The taste is malty with spicy notes and little aftertaste. There is a slight citrus flavor.

Overall, this is a nice beer. However, I would not put this beer up with my favorite belgian style white ales.

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

This was quite similar to Great Lakes Holy Moses. There were spicy notes in both the flavor and aroma with elements of coriander, orange and wheat. This is surprisingly drinkable for a winter white ale with moderate alcohol and a very clean flavor and finish. This would probably taste good at any time of the year.

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light hazy golden color. A finger of head that disappears soon.

S: Nice light smell lemon and banana smell with a hint of cloves.

T: I think the taste is very light but I don't mean that in a bad way. Mild cloves at the beginning with a mild lemon in the middle and then ending with a mild wheat.

M: Very light feel. Light carbonation. Very consistent from beginning to end.

D: For a winter beer it's rather light but I think it's something that is rather nice. The light taste and average ABV can lead to a lot being drank.

If you are in the mood for a light not so complex beer I think you will not be disappointed. This was exactly the beer I was looking for tonight.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The color when poured into a pint glass is of wheat/copper. The head dissipates almost immediately. Not impressed about the lack of head.
This beer smells very sweet malt. The taste follows the smell with sweet malt that makes the back of your tongue curl. Tastes of alcohol come through as well. A warm feeling down into your stomach. Not drinkable at all. This is definitely a one beer in front of a winter fire.

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

I thought that Bell's Winter White Ale was a very drinkable beer. The experience from the smell to the aftertaste left in the mouth was not great but above average. I enjoyed the slight but not overdone spicy taste, and would drink the beer again with no problem.

No matter how much I swirled the last third around, I couldn't get all that yeasty goodness from the bottom of the bottle. Oh well.

A - Poured into a tulip, cloudy golden wheat color with a foamy 1-2 finger head, not much retention but does leave some pretty lacing.

S - Wheat, spicy yeasty goodness. No hops. Kind of smells Belgian.

T - First thing I noticed was the yeast. spicy, fruity, funky. Then the wheat. It seems like the two are battling each other for dominance. I like that. The yeast seems to be a bit more in-your-face than in years past. Sour finish.

M - Pretty active carbonation, to be expected for a witbier.

O - While not the best winter offering from Bell's, it's still a staple. I try to pick up a sixer at least once a winter.

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

Bells WWA was a welcome change from the dark heavy winter beers that dominate this part of the year (winter). Beer poured a hazy yllow that left a creamy, foamy head. I can smell hints of orange and corriander. Taste is relatively straight forward, a strong wheat taste that leads to a spicy, hefe-weiss, like finsh on the palate. The drinkability of this beer is great, a perfect counterpart to the traditional winter brews.

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a straw-colored yellow, opaque, mild carbonation apparent, with minimal head, gone entirely within several minutes. Nose is strong wheat, honey notes with lemony essence. Carbonation masks much of the flavor up front. More intense than I expected. The numbness in my tongue reminiscent of the aftereffect of cloves. Lemon rind at the back. Bananas in the aftertaste. This is the first wheat-beer I've really enjoyed. I appreciate the complexity and clear notes in this one. Decently drinkable!

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured this beer into a Hoogaarden style tumbler

A: Hazy lemon, hints of burnished orange, big head that faded quickly.

S: Big yeasty notes, coriander, hints of lemon and sharp wheat.

T: Wheat notes dominate the palate, hints of yeast, coriander, and lemon are definately secondary here.

M: Both creamy and sharp-very nice

D: I have to say that this is not what I was expecting with a "Winter White Ale." The ABV is low and the sharp wheat flavors make this a better summer brew. Solid, but a step below some other Witbiers, like GLBC's Holy Moses

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured this into a lager mug glass, or an ale mug glass considering who cares what the glass is called, it's a beer glass.
Pours a light golden color with little to no foam head. Unfiltered beer so lots of stuff floating around in it if you hold it to the light.
Smell fruity and malty.
Tastes slight bitter and malty, not quite an IPA taste but getting there.
Drinks smooth, light carbonation.
Overall it's alright, like most Bell's I've had it has that IPA bitter taste but in this one it isn't too much.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

I've had other beers from this brewery and loved them, so I decided to pick this up. ($8.99 for a sixer).

This one pours just like you would expect out of a Belgian Wit. Hazy, golden-orange, with a decent bubbly head that stayed in the glass for a while.

Aroma of bannana, orange, vanilla, wheat, coriander, and other spices.

The taste is crisp, full of spices and orange flavor. I do enjoy the mouthfeel of this beer also.

I would say I that I'll be in the store at least one more time to grab this before they run out. Good seasonal beer, although I usually prefer the darker beers during winter.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Light straw colored, no head, opaque. No visible bubbles.

S: Cloves and sweetness. Pretty enticing.

T: Quite sweet, almost cloying, with light lemon and nice spices. Tasty, but maybe a little too sweet.

M: Lots of bubbles and thin.

D: A crisp and sweet beer - but perhaps a little too sweet to really toss these back.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

The beer pours a hazy gold with a sturdy white head of foam. The yeast was strongly stuck to the bottom of the bottle, and a lot of swirling was required to get them in the glass. The aroma is quite sweet and slightly citrusy. There is little orange character to this beer's flavor, but quite a bit of bitterness from the coriander. Mouthfeel is exceptional, enough to remind you that you're not drinking water, but not to overpowering. The carbonation is spot on too. A good beer for the winter or anytime.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz bottle, containing "a seasonally nuanced wheat ale that is both stylish and refreshing" poured into a pint glass.

Light orange color, with 1/2 a finger of head that vanishes quickly. A ton of carbonation; some sticks to the outside of the glass and there is still a lot bubbling up from the center. Almost a nice beer to look at.

Smells of mainly orange peels and to be honest, not much else. Not enough alcohol to be present on the nose and for the most part it's just orange.

The taste is mostly lemon-juice like, which is weird since there is no lemon on the nose. Kind of a chalk-dust taste that seems to be the product of lemon meets a sickly amount of carbonation. Yeah, this beer is slightly off-putting.

The mouthfeel leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very carbonated beer- as in the first sip, mid-palate and finish are all full of carbonation. To be honest, this is dissapointing.

Drinkability? You could drink it all night...but why would you. This, especially coming from Bell's is a disappointing beer. I don't see how this is a winter ale (when i let my roomate sample this he remarked that it 'tasted like something we had in the summer'), nor a white ale. Nor a Bell's beer. This beer leaves me confused, about most things except my liking for this beer. Which is almost non-existent. It even starts to look like Tang after awhile. I'm almost afraid to write this, but I kind of like Tang more. Blah.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Got in a mixed 6 pack just for the hell of it.

a- Pours a hazy golden yellow with a decent bubbly white head that dissipates a little too fast, leaving an unattractive cloudy white film of bubbles for a while.

s- Pretty bland smell of wheat and maybe pine hops. Nothing much comes through.

t/m- Well this is a decent taste but maybe a bit too light for me. Strong bread dough flavor and light spices right up front and throughout with lingering pine hops. I tad bit of banana-y sweetness is hinted at in the middle. I like that the wheat presence is delicious-- probably the most satisfying thing about this beer. It is overall fairly light-bodied.

d- this drinks almost like it was aimed directly at "less filling" folks, so if that's your thing you might be able to put away several of these. It doesn't compel me personally to try another.

I might be being a bit unfair to the style I'm sure, as lighter beers generally don't satisfy me as much. I've liked bell's other beers and so I picked one of these up on a whim.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: opaque lemon yellow, cloudy, small white head with zero retention

Smell: biscuity, grains, oats

Taste: refreshing, floral, soda water, simple

Mouthfeel: light, watery, well carbonated

Overall: Drinkable session beer I'd return to someday, but not my favorite Bell's.

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow into a pint glass. Smell is not very strong, overpowered by wheat with some hints of banana. The taste follows as slightly tart, dominated by wheat with hints of banana and maybe some spiciness with a moderately carbonated body.

I guess I don't usually see this style called a winter ale... Seems more like a spring/summer offering, but that doesn't matter too much. Overall a decent witbier.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

Compliments of Lackenhauser

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a pale straw with lots of yeast in suspension. A thick creamy head collapsed in a couple minutes.

S--- Sweet smelling tropical fruit with clove and vanilla.

T--- I wish it tasted as good as it smells. It was very acidic and flavorless. My tongue hates me right now

M--- Good carbonation and to style.

D---A little disappointing flavor wise but I’m happy I got to try it.

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Served on tap. poured a cloudy orange color with small head and no lacing. Smell was wheat with some coriander and clove. Taste is wheat, orange peel, corinander, clove, banana.
Mouthfeel was light with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkabilty was high if you like wheat beers. Not really my favorite style to drink in the winter. Feels like more of a summer beer except for the spices.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

A - It is as it says: white, or really a light straw color. It pours with a small head that disappears fairly quickly.

S - Very citrusy and yeasty, fruity, a hint of banana

T - It looks like a witbier. It tastes like one too, but with a more aggressive and persistent flavor. Lots of citrus and yeast spice across the palate. The follow is lemony and sweet at the same time.

M - Full bodied and refreshing, estery.

D - A most drinkable beer, even more so than the Bell's Christmas

I've seen some critiques of this beer that ding it for being atypical with respect to winter styles. I don't recall seeing a rule that a white ale could not be a winter beer. This kind of innovation in the winter line is very welcome. Sort of an, um, winter welcome.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours a hazy golden, straw hue with a decent white head and a good amount of lacing...

S: Yeasty, citrus notes up front with some spiciness and banana that follows...

T: Similar to the nose...citrus-y, yeasty, a little spice...very well balanced, everything you would expect from the style...

M: Crisp, well-carbonated, refreshing...very nice

D: A very enjoyable and easily drinkable brew, what you come to expect with most Bell's products...I would definitely recommend this brew, but my only knock would have to be that a winter 'white ale' seems slightly out of place for the season, albeit delicious...

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.