Bell's Winter White Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Winter White AleBell's Winter White Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 02-22-2003

Fermented with a Belgian ale yeast, this blend of barley & wheat malts yields a mixture of clove and fruity aromas, all without the use of any spices. Deliberately brewed to retain a cloudy appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bell's Winter White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 687 | Hads: 1,999
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

All around well crafted ale.

I had the Bell's Winter White at a local bar on tap via a pitcher (not my choice). It pours nice and orangish with a some cloudiness to it.

Taste was quite good. I liked it off the bat and after a couple more tastes, grew to like it more. I have since purchased it in bottle and enjoyed it at home as well.

On tap or in bottle (tap better of course), I recommend this seasonal ale while you can get it.

3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clean gold with an excellent long lasting 3 finger head. Aromas of banana and bubble gum followed by malt are present on the nose of the beer. Malt and lemon rind on the palate with a watery finish. Small bubbles and and a light body with a medium finish. An ok beer

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Hey its Saturday night live with a great wheat beer.The aroma is fruity with a hint of yeast. Full of flavor. With bananas, cloves,and a bit of lemon too.It has a nice golden haze.As far as drinkability I could easily drink these all night. All were missing for a winter ale is more alcohol.The label says abv. is 5.0.The label is nicely designed with trees and snow.Makes me feel like taking a winter walk through the woods to grandma's house.I hope the beer at her house is this good. Other than that this is a very smooth tasting beer.I will be buying more soon.

4.62/5  rDev +25.9%

My typical standard of measurement for wit beers is Hoegaarden. Bell's Winter White might be my new standard. First off, I love that they used the white winter theme to brew a beer like this out of season. Typically, wheat beers can only be found fresh during the summer. It is nice to know you can find one light and refreshing in the winter too as a six-month old wit beer sipped in January would almost certainly be stale. Not this--it had a crisp clean freshness that comes only from hefty doses of wheat played against the musty phenols of the belgian yeast. I could not smell or taste any orange or coriander, lemon or lemongrass, just nice round full bready yeast. Even the color was pale yellow, though not as white as Hoegaarden. It did not feel overly fizzy or thin, as can sometimes be the case for this style. Excellent drinker. High marks all around.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Came slightly cloudy gold with not too much head. Had a pinch of banana smell to it. Had some orangish hints in there too. Taste was kinda like bananas in the background too. little bit of spice as well as a light malty finish. Medium to light mouth feel. Very drinkable in my opinion because its a great brew and a lower ABV. Recommended.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

bells winter white pours a straw yellow with small head and minimal retention.

smell is of yeast with nice lemon. good smell.

taste follows the smell, nice nothing really special.

mouthfeel has a bit of carbonation. crisp and refreshing.

Drinkable for the style and in general. I must say I really don't get this release. this would be a fine beer to have six months from now in 90 degree weather. in chicago tonight its single digits with six inches of snow. why would i want a light crisp refreshing beer with no complexity? i am not trashing wit, i actually love the style - in the summer. still its a good wit. maybe there will be some available in the summer.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer will satisfy seasoned beer snobs and newbies alike. The smell is my favorite part, with an almost-aggressive phenol funkiness, with sweet grassy floral notes. After that, it's solid but unremarkable. It has all the right flavors in all the right places, and a little lingering orangy citrus at the end. It's ever-so-slightly thin in a way that makes me unsure whether to knock a half point off of taste or off of mouthfeel.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

It poured a cloudy golden almost orange color. The aroma of this beer has hints of sweet citrus and bananas and some Belgium candy sugar. The taste of this beer was similar to smell hints of sweet sugars and citrus and banana notes were also present. This drinkable beer was smooth but had a slightly bitter after taste. Overall this was an average winter beer.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

This is a decent, inoffensive and light tasting beer that isn't very complex. I'm a little disappointed because seasonal beers tend towards possessing attributes that fit with the season-- halloween gets the crop of pumpkin flavored beers, summer sometimes rustles up some sort of jalapeno-flavored creation and so on. This *winter beer* has nothing "wintry" about it apart from the name and the label artwork-- certainly nothing that suggests the scents and smells of winter (cinnamon, nutmeg, pine, chocolate, burning wood or even a decade-old, rock hard fruitcake.) The scents are typical average witbier: bread, wheat and yeast. There's a slight hint of citrus but it's gone quickly and doesn't translate into taste-- which is similarly average. So, why am I paying 11 bucks for a six pack of this when I could be trying that Allagash Dubbel I passed over?

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: A very hazy yellowish amber color, with a thin white colored head that has no retention and not much lacing

Smell: Very fruity and citrusy aromas, has a bit of a musty smell to it as well. The citrusy aromas are very prominent

Taste: Very fruity and spicy taste right up front. Followed by a citrusy orangeish taste that leaves a little bitter taste in your mouth. Overall has a very strong taste

Mouthfeel: Very light body with very minimal carbonation. Very thick on the palate but not thick enough for its class

Overall: Very poor example of a witbier. Doesn’t seem thick enough but it does have good smell and great appearance

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Straw to pale golden, very hazy, nice white head that seems to stick around

S - wow! I'm picturing a lemon with cloves stuck all over it ( like something your mom might use as a decoration at... well... xmas), nice yeast character, some clean malt laying around in the background

T - hmmm... a fair amount of spice bouncing around for its malt support base to get to the party, but it never shows up. a very mild malt character fails to provide the counterpoint to the spice. It just seems too soft overall. I'n not sure if this is what a "winter wheat" is supposed to taste like, but it's just not as refreshing (or spicy, bold, filling) as I would have hoped

M - again, not enough punch for me. I want bubbles, large ones even. There is a neutral balance of malt and bitterness and it's pretty smooth, maybe just not appropriate for style, doesn't scrub my palate like I'd like

O - confuses me, plenty of other white ales I'd rather have

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours a hazy nearly opaque yellow with a one finger head that dissipates to just a thin film. Very little lacing on the glass.

A - Strong citrus zest and a peppery spice aroma. Nice farmhouse type of funk from the yeast. Nice smelling Witbier.

T - Very easy to drink. Starts a little sour with some citrus flavor that leads into a slightly sweet mandarin orange flavor. Very refreshing.

M - Light in body, Flavor duration is short to moderate.

O - Nice and refreshing Witbier. Would be great in the hot summer weather.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Pale in color, with a light haze. Very little head. Smells more like a hefeweizen than a witbeer, with banana and clove overtones sticking out. A tasty beer, crisp and smooth with banana and clove like the smell, and some light malty sweetness. Not a lot of hop flavor. Nicely drinkable; wouldn't mind kicking a few of these back in front of the fire on a cold winter night.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

I know this often gets rated lower than most Bell's beers, or many beers in general, but I like it. To me, it's a simple, refreshing, everyday winter beer that's goes down easy. I can drink it with dinner or while watching the ballgame. I like the fruitiness and the spices. I will admit that it borders on a summer beer rather than a winter, but I truly enjoy it. It's one of those beers I try not to overthink -- I just like it as a solid, simple, balanced beer.

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a hefeweizen glass. Next in the tour of Bell's that started at their brewery and continues through this mix and match 6 pack...

A: Hazy orange yellow with a thin white head. Low carbonation, no lacing.

S: A bit of musty yeast, citrus, spice, and a banana sweetness.

T: Mustiness and spice more dominant than in the aroma. Good citrus flavor, and an overall sweet finish.

M: On the heavy side for a wit, so medium. Could use a bit more carbonation to liven it up.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer - it leans toward the sweeter side of wits without being syrupy or sickening. Emphasizes citrus and spice over must and tartness. Not the best example of the style, but very drinkable.

Winter, though?

3.47/5  rDev -5.4%

This is pretty good Witbier. No head what so ever, it looked like it was forming and then quickly dissipated. Great straw color and very hazy with plenty of carbonation. I get a little lemon but more orange peel.

I could throw back a few of these but there was nothing special about it that I would get another 6pk. Great Taste just a little on the boring side!!

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

I was at a bar in East Lansing when I got the chance to taste this brew. Let's just say the beer was better than most of the bands.

Appearance- It was lowlight in the bar, but I crowded around a window to look at it. Beer has a light amber, with wisps floating around the middle of the glass, typical of wheat beers. Didn't keep much of a head.

Smell- Had a decent smell, evidence of of that yeast smell. Smelled similar to Blue moon, which is also a Belgian style wheat beer.

Taste- Smooth refreshing wheat beer, bread like aftertaste from the yeast

Mouthfeel- Thinner beer than other wheat beers I've had. Smooth feel

Drinkability- Goes down easy, mild bitterness that goes a long way in terms of taste. Not to much, not to little

4.29/5  rDev +16.9%

Review from old notes: 12/31/08

A: hazy pale yellow with little white head.

S: spicy nose with a hint of wheat.

T: variety of spice with a hint of cider/orange/banana fruity-ness.

M: thin and well carbonated.

D: I know this beer is not for everyone but it is one of my favorite wheats, especially around the holidays!

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured this beer into a small white sampling glass. Pours very fizzy and seems unfiltered, yeast is visibly noticable.

It smelled almost entirely of yeast, there were other subtle smells but I couldnt put my finger on.

Tastes identical to hefe-weizens with a lot more of the yeast taste.

The carbonation really tingles on your tongue, (the fizz came from somewhere) and it had a very light bodied feel.

Not exactly the winter warmer I would have expected, not many spices or strong taste in any way, but it is still rather pleasant served ice cold.

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

I bought this from my local carryout in the summer actually. Apparently not a huge seller during its season but Christmas in July, why not?

A: Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a thin white head that quickly evaporated. Not much carbonation at all.

S: Gave off the hints of orange and lemon peel. Although there was one spice that I could not put my finger on. After a taste though I concluded that it was..

T: Ginger. Orange lemon and ginger form a wonderful medley in the taste of this beer. With a nice almost smoky flavor to it as well that kisses your taste buds in the aftertaste.

M: Very light and crisp. A nice clean feeling that doesn't leave your mouth feeling soaked with the beer.

D: At first I was a bit turned off by the flavor of this beer but the more tasting I gave it the more I appreciated it. With a complex flavors and aromas I have come to enjoy this. Makes a fine seasonal brew for sitting by the fire in the middle of winter. But it's great in the summer too.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

When reviewing a wit, you almost have to say "for the style", because it is above all a subtle style. Other reviewers seem to penalize it for being true to style. But I think you have to take the style as a given.

It pours plainly without a lot of fuss or head, and settles into a very clear pale liquid.

Modest nose. It sips easily, with a moderate bitterness afterward, but subtle. Here's a beer that really IS "less filling" and "tastes great. It could easily qualify as a session beer.

As long as I am mentioning that horrid ad's phrase, I should reiterate that this beer falls heavily on the "less filling" side, although it really DOES taste great. A nice change from other monstrous, super-hopped and -alcoholic winter beers.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours a Belgian white style like a milky lemon juice. A big bubble white head with a very slippery lace. The color is pale yellow and murky to see through.

S - Smells like a belgian. Malty with a fruity smell, like cantaloupe or apricot.

T - Very nice banana fruity flavor. Subtle hop taste but mostly banana from the flavors. Very nice finish and hardly an after taste.

m - creamy and smooth. very nice and elegant. the carbonation is light but perfect for the malty style.

O - A great Belgian white that leaves me satisfied. Out of all the seasonal beers this year I could definitely say I really enjoy this one. Usually when I think Belgian white beer I do not associate it with winter.

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

A: bright yellow color with a thick white foam head that quickly dissipates. little to no lacing.

S: Malt hits you first, followed by banana and a slight hint of nuts

T: A combination of banana and nuts. the after taste is nutty, but not offending.

M: Very light and crisp.

D: Very easy to drink. Mine was gone before I knew it. Nothing to really rave about, but good none the less.

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served - Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

Very small amount of head, that quickly disperses into nothiing. Saw a lot of carbonation with the pour. Pours a very light yellowish-brown. Some sort of sediment formed in the bottom of the glass while I was drinking it. Not really sure what it was.

Wheat and hops; light and faint smell.

Citrus, wheat flavor, but mostly citrus.

Pretty carbonated, so the bubbles were very apparent. Could really taste the oranges even through the heavy carbonation.

Overall, a nice wheat with good citrus flavor. The sediment in the bottom of the glass bothered me, and the smell was pretty bland. A good beer, but was expecting more from Bell's.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Very nice wit style for the winter. Great mouthfeel - very smooth and light. Flavor was right-on. I enjoyed the Belgian-style flavor; nice but not too overbearing. Overall, this is a go to beer for the winter and wish it was available year round. Will need to stock-up while its in the market.

Bell's Winter White Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.