Midwestern Pale Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Midwestern Pale AleMidwestern Pale Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: pschul4 on 11-06-2012)

carteravebrew, Dec 23, 2013

Morockm, Dec 22, 2013

Bustersuess, Dec 20, 2013

jmdrpi, Dec 19, 2013

Broke, Dec 15, 2013

BillRoth, Dec 15, 2013

danwho, Dec 15, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

P- Als of hampden

A- a hazy dark wheat color with yeast suspended throughout. No head and no lacing so I was leary.

S- honey and caramel malts but it has the smell of a lager rather than a pale ale. I though I bought a pale ale.

F- a skunk like flavor in the mouth. the malts taste overbearing and sour. I don't get the caramel or any other flavor that comes through.

M- light bodied and carbonated as well as gassy. It bubbles all the way down like champagne with sour apple malt.

D-Eh....I could do worse but could be much better. less than average beer and I wont buy it again. I love Bells but I think they missed the mark with this one unless they were going for a Budweiser like brew.

Dodo2step, Dec 14, 2013

TheSteak22, Dec 06, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

maviola, Dec 02, 2013
2.86/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at Zipp's Liquor in Minneapolis, MN for $1.79 and served into a stem-tulip. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. 5.2% ABV confirmed. Packaged 07/29/13. Reviewed as a pale ale because of the name, though the label description calls it a blond ale.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. Lacks creaminess and frothiness. Consistency is smooth. Complexion is decent; not particularly soft or supple. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a hazy nontransparent translucent mango colour. Sort of a reddish orange - kind of hard to pin down. Average vibrance. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks a bit off for a pale ale. Not as light or clear as I'd expect.

Sm: Honey, caramel, pale malts, fruity tones (mainly mango and vague tropical character), a hint of graham cracker, clean yeast, sweet bready malts, and some doughiness from the yeast. Not as hop-forward as you'd expect (and want) in a pale ale.

I'm looking forward to trying it, but it's far from unique or special. I'm a bit concerned at this point.

No alcohol or spices are detectable. A clean inoffensive aroma of average strength.

T: Mango fruit, light pine, and some biting grapefruit citrus notes comprise the bulk of the hop profile. Pale malts, some caramalt, and a light doughy character provide the simple foundation. Lightly resinous. Hints of lime. Decently balanced, with a cohesive but not gestalt build.senses at different points in the structure. The bitterness/sweetness is off, but in different Very simple, lacking complexity, subtlety, nuance, and intricacy.

The doughy yeast character doesn't fit the clean feel you'd want in a good pale. There's even some (admittedly light) alcohol presence here too.

Below average depth and duration of flavour. Average intensity of flavour.

Decently put together, but ultimately quite underwhelming. I'm not a big fan and I'm not sure what they're going for with this one.

Mf: Fairly clean. Crisp, smooth, and wet. Too filling for a pale ale. A bit too heavy on the palate, with too full a body. Doesn't suit the flavour profile or the style all that well. Unrefreshing. Overcarbonated.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, hot, rough, or boozy.

Dr: Nowhere near as drinkable as a pale ought to be, but fairly downable. I'm glad I just got a single; I wouldn't want another and wouldn't recommend this to friends. A simple swing and a miss from Bell's. Very average.

C

kojevergas, Dec 02, 2013

Red_Thunder, Dec 02, 2013

dcbeers, Dec 01, 2013

jsprain1, Dec 01, 2013

Givemebeer, Nov 28, 2013

kazam55, Nov 27, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Light orange body with a fair amount of unfiltered particles. Poured a thick 2 finger head. Nice lacing.
S- Mainly bready. Super slight touch of citrus and malts.
T- Taste threw me a little. Much sweeter than the nose. Bread, lemony citrus, light orange, and a touch of caramel. Almost sour at times.
M- Medium body. On the creamy side. Dry finish with a strange lightly sour bitterness.
O- This was ok to me. BMC drinkers would probably love it. In fact, it would probably be a good bridge into craft beer.

tmm313, Nov 25, 2013

EN27, Nov 25, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bought 1/2bbl for $69 with a two week old kegging date, served in Imperial pint glasses.

Had some trouble with my opinion on this beer so I held back an extra day with a fresh palate and reread the other reviews. Some quotes from them: "mild, bland, watery, leaning toward English Ale style, not enough hops, metallic, strong grain taste, odd yeast/malt tones from> lager? wheat?". All these are valid I think, but not necessarily negative. Some said it was in inoffensive session beer and that is I think its strongest point, IMHO. I looked at other Pale Ales and find that the ones I like best are either hop forward versions or real British style milds, so this one really misses all the points I look for in my Pale ales. But I like it anyway.

I bet I would not like this at all in the bottle, I can tell it is too mild for this IPA guy. What I will do later today is run some through my "Randall" glass after I pick up a few pouches of fresh hops from the store to see where that takes this beer. At @42IBU's (accd to one source), but I bet a bump to 55 or so would really rock this beer into my flavor zone.

In any case, I do recommend you try this beer on draft when you can, and steer clear of any stronger hop flavored beers before you do as it will poison your opinion on it.

RockAZ, Nov 24, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz Bottle from Wegmans Dewitt NY for $2

Appearance - Hazy gold colour with an average size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, grass, lemons

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and hops. There is also some lemon, grass, and some hay/straw.

Overall - Not really a APA, more of a helles or some type of oktoberfest beer. Not what I was expecting. It's an okay beer, just a little boring.

spinrsx, Nov 24, 2013
Midwestern Pale Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.