413 IPA - Westfield River Brewing Company

413 IPA413 IPA

Westfield River Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012)
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

AardvarkJohnson, May 31, 2013

gdub, May 16, 2013
3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Trubeer, Easthampton, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" beige head over the clear amber brew. Minimal head promptly begins receding to the rim, with with lasting lace. Aroma is sedately of citrus and pine.

Taste is sweet at the onset, juicy citrus in the middle, and a slow burn piney bitterness through the slightly chalky close. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is good. Nice first Westfield River brew for me.

ppoitras, May 01, 2013

MA08, Jan 14, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Ecxeeder616, Jan 10, 2013

PJKSR02, Oct 26, 2012

I rarely have a small town local brewery make a beer that I enjoyed. Especially in the 413 area code. Berkshire brewing and Element would be my local fav's right now. Pretty Things started in the area, I believe, but moved further East, so they're not included in the 413 grouping.

Anyway, maybe it was the ambiance, the mood I was in... a little flirty with the wife... I don't know. But this was a unique twist on an East Coast IPA that I actually liked. It was the last beer in the tap, it kicked 1/2 way up the pint and splashed all over the guy sitting in front of the tap. The bartender comped me the glass because there were no other kegs of 413 available. So, if they're all done, that's promising...

A: Mine was poured from a tap. It was a little cloudy, but not so cloudy as unfiltered beers usually are. It had a great golden color, and looked just like an IPA should.

S: The nose had a strong malt character, but wasn't heavy on sweetness. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess it had a high finishing gravity. I learned later the ABV was medium-high for a regular IPA (6%). I could smell some earthiness from the hops, and a hint from the yeast.

T: It was surprisingly fruity. But not like a fruit beer. It didn't have the citrus grapefruit pith flavor of strong West coast IPAs, but wasn't as malty as some East coast IPAs. The fruitiness was overwhelming orange/tangerine, but not cloying like some fruity beers are. For example, I'm not a fan of Magic Hat #9 because it's just too fruity. I wonder if the orange flavor comes from hops and not fruit extract or juice. I'm a homebrewer and am curious where this flavor profile would come from. The hops cut the maltiness and fruitiness nicely on the back end. So, it starts kind of sweet, but not wussy- like and ends bitter.

M: Smooth. Easy to drink. Not overly carbonated, not sharp from carbonic acid.

Overall: I'd buy this beer again. I'll be curious to see how bottles differ from the keg serving I had.

GeeL, Oct 19, 2012