Boji Blue Pale Ale - Okoboji Brewing Company

Okoboji Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: cpolking on 03-24-2012

The pale ale is a true American beer, traditionally brewed with American style hops and malt. Light amber color with a full body feel and a crisp finish. The American style hops add fantastic aroma with a balancing bitterness that will please a “hophead” while allowing a great entrance to bolder beer for those new to craft beers.

Reviews by schoon:
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

3.11/5  rDev -9.3%

A thank you goes out to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head, leaving a good bit of lacing. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is malts, some piney hops, considerable bitterness at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I found this to be a mediocre beer.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

I CAN't believe that my local in-person trader has begun making CANTrades of his own! This came to me from Tone77 who apparently got his from cpolking. The CANQuest (TM) supports this kind of forward thinking and asks that you keep us CANHeads in mind if you have new beers in a CAN to spare.

From the CAN: "Boji Blue Pale Ale - inspired by the clear, blue waters of Lake Okoboji - is a true Ameri[CAN] beer, traditionally brewed with a combination of Centennial and Cascade Hops."; "Citrus flavor and aroma, with balanced bitterness."; "The OBC Pledge: - I believe in the 3 R's: Readiness, Recreation & Relaxation, - I believe that [CAN]s are best for enjoying Craft Beer - in the most fun places, - I will only drink responsibly - often, but responsibly, - I will never litter, and always recycle".

There is no more satisfying moment in The CANQuest (TM) than when a Crack reveals a brimful CAN! I feel like when the pastry shops used to give us a Baker's Dozen (13 doughnuts for the price of 12) and this was just such an instance. The Glug resulted in a finger of dense tawny head with credible retention. Its coppery-amber color seemed to have just the slightest tinge of haze, but I am OK with that as filtration strips flavor. I want to plug "Drinking Made Easy" on AXS.tv for a moment and thank them for pointing out that there is nothing inherently wrong with cloudy or hazy beer. A lot of people still do not understand that and although they CAN be goofy at times, it is both enlightening and entertaining to watch. By "[c]itrus ... aroma", they mean grapefruit and man, did it come across on the nose. Truth in advertising - another big part of The CANQuest (TM) because we only say what we mean and we mean what we say. The first sip was eye-opening! The mouthfeel was medium but the hops were immediate! Man, I felt like I had a mouthful of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. "45 IBUs" as delineated on the CAN and again, I see no reason to doubt them. Finish was dry, not bone-dry or gaspingly-dry, but still, pretty noticeably dry, especially with the hops leading the way.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

A pint can brewed for Okoboji Brewing by Great River out of Davenport, IA. Labeling is plastic wrapped on the can. Notes that is brewed for the Okoboji Winter Games.

Medium yellow pour with a thinnish off-white head that disappeared quickly with no lace.

Smell is lightly malty, grain.

Taste is caramel malt forward, very light bittering hops, with a strong earthy, almost metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, carbonation is medium.

Not a very good example of an American Pale Ale.

I was born and raised 18 years on West Lake Okoboji and the other half in craft beer heaven, MN. Matter of fact I'm right here next door to Village West drinking this right now. It's my unblunted opinion that this brewery is trying to ride my Okoboji namesake to craft brewing success. They need to step it up a couple notches.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

The beer pours amber colored, brown-orange-golden, with a tall quarter-inch of thick and creamy off-white head.

The aroma is predominantly malty, caramel.

The taste is a deep rich maltiness, roasted and toasted, caramel, with an immediate second wave of hop bitterness that makes it finish crisp, dry and bitter.

This is not a real hop forward type of American pale ale, but done more in the British style, and in fact its malty is aspect is so nicely roasted that it almost veers towards a hoppy brown ale.

Pour - dark amber, chestnut in appearance with some orange and red hues. A very nicely formed white foamy head sits atop this beer and plenty of lacing is present. Looks mighty fine coming out of the can.

Aroma - caramel sweetness, orange peel, biscuit/bread dough aromas along with some hints of floral hops and lemon poundcake.

Taste - first sip and its very apparent this is a beer with a solid malt backbone. Plenty of malty, caramel sweetness is there with some orange and lemon citrus flavors mixing with a bit of floral hop flavor and a lot of biscuity/bread dough. Reminds me a bit of some of the English Pale Ales I've had and I rather like it. Easy drinking with no major surprises but also no character flaws. Solid.

Overall - great beer. Very solid malt character with some nice bitterness and floral hop aroma and flavors. I like the toasty flavors that are followed by the citrus ones. A great pint of beer and a nice introduction to a brand new brewery.

3.32/5  rDev -3.2%

Now actually brewed in Spirit Lake.

Plastic wrapped tall boy can into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy copper color, small head with some lacing. Medium to light carbonation. Has an okay nose, you can smell the Cascade and Centennial. Nice malt up front with a bitter finish. Feels a little thin in the mouth, taste is OK.

This beer doesn't touch the gold standard for the style, IMO, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but it compares favorably to Great River's 483 Pale, although I should do an A-B test to confirm this.

The cloudiness gives it a slightly yeasty after taste as well. I'm going mostly average on this one - not a disappointment, but not great either. I will note that a four pack of tall boys costs $8.99 at my Hy-Vee, a dollar more than Great River, for example -- not worth the extra money IMO.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Boji Blue Pale Ale from Okoboji Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.