St. Feuillien Saison - Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien SaisonSt. Feuillien Saison

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: joe1510 on 05-11-2009)

1.75/5  rDev -53.9%

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours an opaque tan with an orange tinge. White head is billowy and plentiful. The first thing I smell is fruity pebbles. Suggesting a lot of Belgian pale malt and candied sugar. Some pungent herbal aroma with a swirl. That Belgian pale flavor comes out in front. This reminds me of a Belgian Golden Strong, but it's got more body, much thicker. The white/sourdough bread flavor comes up in the middle and fades to a slightly herbal bitterness. Like chewing raw oregano with your beer. There is some definite back of the throat pungent feel from the candied sugars and yeast, but it's slight and not really a problem for me. Feel is slightly viscous and finish is balanced.

This is definitely not what I was expecting. It's slightly thick without much complexity. Maybe I'll stick to the Tripel.

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

I poured the Siason into a goblet. It poured beautifully, half inch head with nice lacing that suck around for quite a while. It has a crisp, golden appearance. It smelled pretty fruity and sour. It looked and smelled like it was going to be a quite good beer. The taste was not so good. It was remarkably dull. It was very cold when I poured it and it tasted increasing worse as it got warmer. It left a bitter, soapy, hoppy aftertaste in my mouth. There was some very bready yeastie tastes in there too. This was my first Saison. I'll try some others and if they taste like this, perhaps farmstyle ales just aren't for me. If I wanted to pay $12 for a beer that looked really pretty, i'd buy this again... but I don't.
If anybody has a good Siason recommendation, hit me with it.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

served on-tap @ Local Option, Chicago, IL, into a tulip glass

Pours a nice golden color. Mostly clear in terms of the body; not very much yeast or hop haze. Eggshell colored head leaves decent lacing.

There's something unconventionally sweet about this Saison. It reminds me of a lot of American takes on the style, and I don't mean that affectionately. Not every Saison has to worship at the alter of Dupont, but this beer demonstrates why Dupont worship is probably the best way to go about brewing Saison. This is very floral, but dominantly honeysuckle. This, coupled with the heavy, sweet malt flavors, makes for a Saison that's, well, heavy and sweet. Like sucking on too much honeysuckle. I wanted some bracing phenolic character to balance things out, but it never came. Just sweet, fragrant botanicals and dessert-like malt flavors.

So this beer is obviously not as dry as I would like a Saison to be. It has a much fuller body than I like too. This is not a refreshing beer by any means. Overall this just misses the mark for me of what is great about the style.

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

From a corked magnum, on to the beer:

Big billowy soapy looking head on top a burnt goldenrod color. The head retention is good on top. I smell something I don't want, yep, it's plastic. Cool off. Ok, it does some. Light rustic aromas bring back some faith. Bitter citrus as well.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I get a snap citrus and grapefruit peel. Rustic character is very light. The problem I'm having here is that the overall flavor dries out too quickly, leaving you with the equivalent of rice cakes and a whisker of oddball spice for much of the experience. The liquid inteslf is on the smooth side, with well-placed carbonation that doesn't seem to hit your palate.

Okay in the context of beer overall. But for a Belgian beer, I expected much more.

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Well, I feel lots of bitterness, which almost overwhelm everything. However the bitterness lower down when it is warmer, and when finish the drink , there seem to be flavor in your month.
The aroma is the best thing about this beer , smells attractive, attracting you to get closer, though at the first sip, it's really bitter.
I don't feel the spiciness mentioned by others, nor other tastes like citrous or something else, because the bitterness is just too strong ):

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Big bright white head. The body is a hazy gold.

It smells of orange and straw.

I get a grassiness and a honey sweetness. Those good flavors don't hold up long due to a bitter and slight metallic flavor going on in the background that just throws this whole flavor train off the tracks.

It has a light body, medium carbonation, with a watery mouthfeel, and overall refreshing.

Appealing cloudy appearance, tangerine in color, good foam, excellent lacing, slightly tart, not excessively bitter, neither sour, unmistakable farmhouse style, hints of caramel & orange, smooth on the tongue, carbonation not excessive yet supports and enhances the flavor and appearance - not the type saison with which I’ve become familiar and accustomed

St. Feuillien Saison from Brasserie St. Feuillien