Bière De L'Amitié (Green Flash & Brasserie St. Feuillien) - Brasserie St. Feuillien

Bière De L'Amitié (Green Flash & Brasserie St. Feuillien)Bière De L'Amitié (Green Flash & Brasserie St. Feuillien)

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Florida9 on 07-18-2010)

peddani, Jun 10, 2013

NYR_Rob, Jan 20, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +15%

VonWeissenheimer, Jan 17, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into my snifter and it looks like a light colored brew as it exited the bottle. Once the head settled to a nice two finger medium thick white head, that has that typical Belgian look to it, it looks like a hybrid of a Wit, Tripel and Strong Pale. To call it hazy yellow that is impossible to see through is as accurate as I can describe it. Looks very interesting. The smell is almost like a saison. Wet grass, apple peels and typical Belgian Yeast characters you would imagine. On the bottle is says spices and I am not really getting any. Maybe corriander and grains of paradise but I am not getting much of that citrus zest they tend to lend the nose. Least to say, this is interesting. I am not sure of the age of the brew. I found new stories from 2010 about the release and if so, this has been kept in a good place over time. No skunkiness from light contamination noticed on the smell. Now for the taste. Interesting flavor. It does not smell like it tastes at all. No spices on the flavor. Totally a Belgian Strong Ale flavor with a lingering flavor from the Amarillo hops, but there is not much of that in the front of the taste like you would in an IPA. There is a hint of a citrus zest in the front but its gone quick. Most of this beers flavor rests on its lighter malts and the yeast. The rye malt actually is the odd man in this brew that stands out. It has that kind of "what the heck is that" going on. Its spicy but in this case the rye did not alter the color of the beer like in some that tend to have more of a brownish or reddish tone. So it sneaks up on you. I like this. I must say I do not recall a Belgian Strong Pale with Rye. The wheat gives it a kind of sweet note to it similar to a wit. However this beer lets you know its big. The alcohol is noticeable which makes me really surprised. However its not a bad tasting note. Its there to remind you that this is not a Witbier and its a strong ale. However, as it warms up, the spices of zest start to cut through. I imagine they decided to do a hybrid of a Wit and a BSP and then did the hopping like an American Craft brew. Its works and its quite nice. For the moutfeel it is as it should. Its a medium body that ends a bit dry. The carbonation is crisp and not over bearing. Nothing spectacular. Overall I cannot go over a 4. Its a great beer but nothing like oh man I need more of this. After having some of Green Flash's Belgians I can say that I think this was a great project for their team. Its a heck of a beer that I would liked to share with a friend not because its a big beer but because of its unique characters. If you see it, grab it and share it with a drinking buddy.

Vancoubeer, Jan 06, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in a bottle poured into a tulip glass.
Appearance is light - straw yellow.
Aroma of light malt wit h citrus and hay.
Taste of barley and slight taste of mint with some bubble gum.
Mouthfeel medium to light.
Overall very good beer but very similar to the St. Feuillien Tripel.

tbsb, Dec 24, 2012

JRod1969, Dec 22, 2012

MarkyMOD, Dec 21, 2012

King_KongDCO93, Dec 19, 2012

TX-Badger, Dec 17, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

A-

750ml into a tulip. Pours a nearly clear pale golden yellow, egg shell colored dense towering head, excellent lacing.

Sweet yeasty goodness aroma. Clean with a hint of earthy tea. wonderful

Momentarily sweet, a tad of hop citrus couples with pineapple and pear. The St. Feuillien yeast is prominent.
Final quietly fading pleasant bitter is of cedar bark and lemon grass, pleasantly lingers. Thin to middln lively grainy mouthfeel.
seems a delicious bière de garde to me
of friendship
cheers
jd

impending, Dec 09, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

1626th Review on BA
Bottle to Pinot wine glass
750 ml C/C

App- A lighter yellow with what I would call a liquid gold/butter color. A small one finger head was there and lasted for quite a bit and popped and cracked well. The inside color of the beer was like an incandecent lightbulb going out. A good amount of lace and cling.

Smell- This really had me going for a bit. Took me a while to really get that spicy amarillo hop layer and then a little bit of that dry grass came in with some spiced layers. A nice amount of the blonde came in and was balanced out by a citrusy lemon.

Taste- This was a very nice beer. A bit large for the ABV. Needed to come down a bit. The little floral notes that came out really highlighted the belgian style where as the dry hopping brought out a dry grass note with a little bitter tinge behind it.

Mouth- This was more of a full medium body with a medium bubbly thick carbonation. A good amount of the dry hopping remains on this one. A solid residual floral notes sticks around with a small tinge of bitter.

Drink- A beer that I enjoyed. I can say this was a very solid collaboration. The belgian and west coast styles paired well and balanced all of the floral and spice notes well. I think this one could age well with the ABV.

FosterJM, Nov 29, 2012

beerpadawan, Nov 27, 2012

CelticAleMan, Nov 27, 2012

First had: on tap at Alla Spina, Philly, PA

This was listed as a dark saison, though I'm not really sure I agree with that. My real question is: are there two versions of this beer? Because most reviews seem to say it's a golden-to-orange color, and I even Googled pics verifying this, but my pour was definitely dark, dark brown, bordering on black, and I know I've seen other reviews that report the same. I don't know, but I'm just calling it like it is.

This beer was dark brown, nearly black, with a nice half inch or so of tan head that retained fairly well. Biscuity malts on the nose, coffee, yeasty, sharp and crisp herbal notes, and a good dose of licorice and cinnamon. Trust me, this is what I got, and there were no other beers on the tap list that matched this description, which is why I find this confusing. Taste reflected the aroma, moderately roasty, but with pils malt qualities coming through, cinnamon, clove, licorice, black pepper, bready yeast, light fruit esters. Body was medium, and this was quite flavorful and drinkable overall. As for the variance in color and other general qualities, I have no explanation. But check the other site...I'm not the only one.

Rifugium, Nov 24, 2012

berlinpa, Nov 20, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

This is my beer club's, beer of the month. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a very foamy head that took its time to mellow. RIch amber color that looks even better with light behind it.

S - Very nice smell. Very traditional to the St. Feillen's usual yeast & spice combination. Lovely.

T - Not overwhelming and very balanced. The dry-hop process of the Green Flash crew adds enough zest to be noticed but not over the top.

M - My favorite part of this beer is how well its sits on the tongue. It almost feels like a beer cloud that decided to float into my mouth and rain light pellets of deliciousness. Perfect.

O - Great collab btw a more old world and new world brewers. Well packaged, but more importantly... well brewed.

Good job!

Donis, Nov 09, 2012
Bière De L'Amitié (Green Flash & Brasserie St. Feuillien) from Brasserie St. Feuillien