St. Feuillien Brune - Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien BruneSt. Feuillien Brune

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 10-23-2002)
Reviews by Buggies:

Buggies, Jan 03, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep amber with a fluffy 2 finger off-white head that settles into a creamy mass not leaving much lace behind,heavy spice and yeast in the aromas,some clove and cinnamon mainly with a touch of smoke.I may have poured a little to chilledso it took sometime for the flavors to start really showing thru but they eventually did nice vanilla pod and clove flavors over top of dark fruit and light smoke.A nice dubbel here dont drink to chilled and the flavors will come out nicely,quite warming.

oberon, Nov 11, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance – This one poured a thick, glowing brown in color with a stubborn, swirly head.

Smell – The alcohol-soaked yeast was spiced with some big cinnamon.

Taste – The strong, tangy yeast led the way here. The big spices became powdery at the taste. I enjoyed the good, yeasty malt base to this one.

Mouthfeel – This Dubbel is medium-bodied and very smooth with some light carbonation.

Drinkability – This is a heavy example of the style and very tasty and sure to satisfy the yeast-heads of the world.

RoyalT, Nov 12, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

My wife and I went to our neighbor's house for dinner. My neighbor, who knows absolutely nothing about beer, bought this beer for me because he thought I might like it. I think he made a great choice. The beer was a light brown color with a thick tan head that was pretty sticky. It had a fruity aroma with a little bit of caramel. Taste was also sweet and fruity, yeasty. Nicely carbonated. I wish my neighbor had bought two of these.

lordofthewiens, Aug 06, 2008

TimoP, Dec 14, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Dark red/brwon color with a white head that left a solid lacing. Strong smell of nuts, grapes, and cherry. Taste is of nuts, dark fruit, and toffee. A little different, but not bad. Plenty of carbonation and full bodied. Decent, didn't have trouble finishing the glass, but there are other examples I'd probably rather have. Worth a try.

badbeer, May 30, 2006

Thanks to Fratto for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a murky dark amber color. The aroma is dark fruit with some caramel and toffee malts. The flavor is dark fruits with a lot of caramel malts. The beer is very dry. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

Mora2000, Mar 05, 2010

Marius, Jul 13, 2013

NilocRellim, Sep 17, 2012

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Well-charged, a big yellow two inch head in a Duvel glass. Dark chestnut color, only slightly sedimented. Thick spongey lace. Muted aroma, lightly leaf-like with some musk. Light bodied and highly carbonated for a Dubbel. Flavor is tinged with a bare chocolate, lots of grape, and bittered with an initial light coffee and maybe even molasses sense. Overall, this one had a bit of trouble generating a lot of flavor for me, finishing like it starts with a touch of a phenolic sense and never really spreading out in malt profile. A little bit of alcoholic heat. Not really one of my favorites per style, more of a niche player to my tastes.

ADR, Feb 17, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a not quite clear reddish-brown color with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet malt with lots of dark fruits - raisins mostly but with hints of figs. As it warms there's also a bit of toffee.

Tastes good. Sweet malt up front followed shortly by dark fruit flavors. Hints of toffee in the back are joined by a light spiciness.

Mouthfeel is good. It's a bit thinner than I was expecting with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished one with no problem, but I'm not terribly excited about drinking another.

Overall this was a solid beer but it's nothing special. Worth a shot.

glid02, Mar 03, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Served way too cold, had to let it warm up a bit to taste anything. Nice flavour- caramel, spice, citrus. Rich, yet nice, soft mouthfeel, a touch sticky, but nothing to really complain about, some sweetness at the start, but in no way cloying. Well rounded and feels like its well made, nice brune.

rastaman, Sep 26, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear deep dark mahogony with a giant tan foamy head. The head lasts and leaves great lacing. The smell has a large amount of a "bisquity" aroma along with alcohol and little else. The taste is crisp with hop bitterness and a dark fruit aftertaste. Raisins,prunes, carmel, abit of alcohol, and sweet malt make up the backbone of this beer. The m/f is light with the flavors mixing OK making this an OK beer. For a dubbel,and for my taste, this beer is alittle too fruity.

jmz62565, Mar 04, 2007

mattfancett, Sep 02, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to Doug Shoemaker for the thoughtfulness, saving a bottle at Smokeless Joe's. Licorice in aroma of yeast along with fruit, and licorice in taste. Lace in brown appearance crowns it nicely. Malty. Tart aftertaste following hops. Medium mouthfeel.

Sammy, Nov 14, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Hazy reddish-brown body capped by a frothy, light tan head that drops but leaves a good collar and surface covering. The aroma is fruity, caramelish, and lightly chocolatey with a gentle background spiciness. The body is medium with a very fine, gently effervescent carbonation that caresses the tongue. The flavor starts malty and lightly earthy with notes of light chocolate and toffee, then expresses notes of dark fruit (raisins, prunes) as it crosses the palate, and ends with another note of creamy chocolate. The finish is exceptional; long and dryish with a wide range of flavors that alternate throughout the glass, sometimes chocolatey, sometimes fruity, and always with some light spiciness and mild lingering malt. It's sweet but backed by enough hop bitterness to keep it from becoming cloying. Really nicely done, and highly recommended.

NeroFiddled, Oct 23, 2002

Ciocanelu, Jul 21, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

On-tap at Monk's Cafe

Hazy brown with a light tan. The aroma and flavor are rich with dark fruits. This immediately reminds me of fruit leather, grape and cherry, with raisins too. There's subtle spice with vanilla and cinnamon in the background, but there's mostly a wonderful fruit taste with a hint of caramel and toffee. It's a little on the heavy side, so keep this for dessert, a great beer overall.

tempest, May 13, 2008

cliff1066, Dec 27, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

On tap @ Monk's Café (Philadelphia, PA) on 4/2/11. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a deep clear ruby, with a thin covering of off-white/light mocha head. Swirling this fires up a near finger of foam, leaving back a rich and frothy cascade of lacing. The aroma has a pronounced dark fruitiness to it, which mixes in with some bitter citric character, a light spiciness, and notes of sugary cocoa and fresh baked biscuits.

The taste is primarily a mix of sugars and dark fruit, with a touch of more roasty chocolate malt thrown in as well. A good bit of citric bitterness is present, which combines with the yeast to really dry the finish out on this with some lingering notes of spice and earty pith. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, with a lively prickliness on the tongue that then segues into more of a creamy and smooth feel across the back. The alcohol content here is nicely held in check.

This was a solid enough Dubbel I suppose, with a decent complexity and a good drinkibility to it. I just wish that the flavors had a bit more richness to them to help make this a little more memorable. This was a tasty sipper but there are better out there for the style.

Kegatron, Apr 05, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Seemingly clear (the liquid a bit hazier on my second pour), ruby-brown in hue; when my glass was backlit a bright tawny-garnet color is noticeable. Beige foam, at the apex the head was some three fingers tall. Head retention was fair, the bubbles slowly but steadily collapsed to a thin cap. There was no subsequent lacing of note; odd. Sad. The appearance is sound but not special.

The nose is spicy, fruity, and malty which is exactly what a Dubbel should smell like. I love the aromas of alcohol soaked cake, raisin bread with a shot of spiced rum on the side. Dates, chocolate, brown sugar, some faded spices; I swear I detect a hint of menthol (?), maybe mint (?). I like what I smell; the methanol/mint aroma is odd but tolerable (as it is in the distance). The bouquet just lacks a little maltiness, IMO, but technically I suppose it is dead-on for the style. I’m just being picky. The aromas are inviting and I can’t wait to take a sip.

My first impression of the palate was the lack of a malt backbone. Maybe I shouldn’t complain. It is a Dubbel and it is sub-8% abv. I taste vodka and bread, I taste rum and cake; I taste more alcohol then I do heat and I don’t really detect any alcohol strength (if that makes sense). Spicy, some cloves, some pepper lay on top of chocolate, brown sugar, and toast. It has a warmish finish, lightly malty; it is enjoyable but kind of tame. I don’t really have much negative to say about the palate. I think it is a good representation of the style but it is not outstanding either.

Medium in body; low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is a tad thin and a bit sluggish for me. I’d like to see more life.

No matter what I said this is a drinkable and tasty beer. While there are other Dubbels that are “better” there really isn’t anything wrong with this one. I think my bottle is a few year’s old. I’m not sure. Maybe it doesn’t age well. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Des Moines, IA. I will drink this again. Worth a try.

bditty187, Oct 23, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: Poured from a stubby little 11.2 oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. Label depicts a riverside town with a man carrying some crops in a basket. No clear freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with just over two fingers of medium brown head. This settles into a thin coating of foam and a well maintained island in the middle above the nucleation point. The beer itself is a muddy brown that you cannot see through. Fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Smell: An intensely strong aroma wafts up from the glass and is fairly clear before you even get your nose close. If I didn't know better, I might say I was drinking a kriek, as the smell of sour cherries is predominant. Less noticeable but there is sweet caramel malt.

Taste: Sweet caramel malts upfront with hints of aged and herbaceous hops. Woody and nutty flavors round out the experience and it finishes with a sour bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation level. Body is very good.

Drinkability: It has actually been a while since I have had a Belgian and this beer helps me remember why I like them so much. Complex yet easy drinking. Bold and flavorful yet thirst quenching. A winter sipping drink that also does well in the hot summer.

beveritt, Dec 11, 2008

zonker17, Feb 02, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured out of a corked 750 ml bottle. The color is a dark brown with an average tan head that left very little lacing. The aroma is a bit musty, dark fruit, not very strong. The flavor is of dark fruit, carob, a bit of hop at the end with a slight metallic taste. This ale is a bit fizzy with a moderate body. Overall a good Dubbel not too sweet which makes it quite drinkable.

Gmann, Dec 30, 2006