St. Feuillien Brune - Brasserie St. Feuillien

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 10-23-2002

2.32/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Hints of light pass through the body, leaving a reddish murky colored body. A lot of nice lacing from a good 2 finger head.

Caramel, figs, dried rinses, hints of rum, and spices. Oddly not as good as this sounds.

Hints of toffee and chocolate mix with a spicy dark fruit dominate beer. Mix in some caramel malt and I think you get the picture. Very complex, but overt in each flavor without the blending that makes a master piece.

Hot! 7.5%? This drinks like 12% easily without the body or thickness that goes with a 12% beer.

Each element of this beer is interesting and maybe good. The problem is this at best good in places beer doesn't work together. Completely don't recommend this one beyond a 2-4 oz sample (and what beer isn't worth doing that with?)

2.34/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours slightly hazy reddish-brown with a creamy beige head.
A tremendous volume of tiny bubbles continuously rise to the surface.

Aroma is slightly sweet and malty with sharp metalic yeasty background notes.

Taste is same as above.

Thin on the tounge and palate.

Not much here to revisit.

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

pours an impressive amber with a good head. head receeds very slowly and forms a good lace. upon looking at this beer i was quite excited as i had been drinking mainly summer brews and lighter beers for the entire summer season.

unfortunately i found this ale to be far to malty at first and then the finish tasted so strongly of alcohol that i was totally turned off.

the cost of this far outweighed the taste. it cost me about $8 for a single bottle! now, i have no problem paying a fairly large amount of money for a bottle of beer, but usually expensive beers actually taste good.

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

A - This beer pours a thick hazy brown into a tulip glass. Some head (3 mm) dropping to just swirls by the second or third sip.

S - Got a bit of a flat smell, some spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and maybe aged fruit (fig). It's got that wet cardboard smell that always worries me a bit.

T - Tastes a bit flat as well. Yep, it's got that wet cardboard flavor as well that I don't like. There are some spices in here ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Also some caramel and butterscotch and fig like flavors in there. The start and finish is mainly that strange malt flavor that I call "wet cardboard".

M - Mouthfeel is medium but flat, with very little carbonation.

D- Not as impressed as I hoped to be. The one note (wet cardboard) that I find in some Belgian, Belgian-style, and French Ales is present in this beer and basically ruins it for me.

2.73/5  rDev -28%

As dubbels go, this one ranks among the sweetest I've had. There's enough brown sugar in both the aroma and the taste to satisfy any sugar addict; in fact, one might be able to substitute this for the requisite brown sugar one likes to plop onto one's morning oatmeal (if one were so inclined, of course). Signs of other sweet Things are everywhere, such as sugar and sugar; some mushroom oddness makes a brief appearance but mercifully is pounded back by the sugar. Worth a try for the pretty label and the attractive price but otherwise this is not something to brag about.

2.97/5  rDev -21.6%

Part of NEPA BC split #5.

750ml corked n caged poured into a tulip glass. Hmmm...the pour is truly perplexing. It struggled to get even a centimeter of head, which was beige while it was there, before completley disappearing leaving no lace at all. Color is dark brown, hazy. When the last of the lace disappears it looks like flat soda.

Smell is some sweet caramel malt, molasses, grapes and a red wine like tannin smell. There's some nuttiness and alcohol in the nose, as well.

Taste at first seems very thin. There are some subtle nutty, coffee flavor, then a bit of sweetness. Through the finish the taste profile comes out a little more with a more robust nutty flavor and some roasted, molasses malt. Luckily that grapey tannin aroma I got doesn't come through in the taste because I'm definitely not looking for that from my beer. All in all the taste isn't bad, it's just too thin and there's nothing remarkable about it. Mouthfeel is thin and a little watery, and it seems flat; no detectable carbonation.

This is a really poor dubbel, in my opinion. I'm not sure if maybe this bottle is a little old - it came from Shangy's and sometimes stuff sits there for awhile. Certainly it's not as fresh as it would be overseas, but at 7.5% it shouldn't turn that quickly, either. I have another bottle but it's from the same case, so who knows. I'm hoping I can edit my reviews up, but I'm not going to count on it. I wouldn't recommend picking this one up.

Edit: second bottle worse than the first. Tannin grape flavor is present and the smell is worse.

3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

appearance: clear crimson color, nearly nutty brown, with a slim fizzy cola-like brown head above.
Aroma: sweetness. bit o' nuts, larger chocolate essence, passably pleasant.
Taste: crisp and carbonated, nice malty flavor, little hops, tastes like an average brown ale, and offers nothing really beyond that...some spicy tinglings in the taste...very fizzy on the palate, feel like I'm having a root beer at times, here...
medium bodied, lightly nutty, malty finish, but the fizz is too harsh for my taste, and spoils the flavor, make the body feel thinner than it should be...have to admit it, I'm not crazy about this one, and still have most of a 750 ml bottle to go. won't be trying this one again, although my opinion of their other beers still stand.

3.14/5  rDev -17.2%

Had this one at Belgo Centraal in London. It is clear ruby red/brown, with no real head. The smell reminds me of leather, flowers, nutmeg, and various spices. Very appetizing. The taste is dry, floral, sharp and oaky. The mouthfeel is downright watery. The drinkability is fine but nothing to get excited about. It's balanced, refreshing but not fantastic. Not a bad one but not a great one.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a clear amber carmel with a couple fingers of creamy tan head. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Scent of yeast and sweet plum and ripe pear. Smells delicious.

First flavor is metallic. There is obvious dark fruits and expected malty sweetness, but also a club soda flavor. Seemed to lack complexity and tasted thin.

Body was light to moderate, and carbonation left quickly.

Not a favorite dubbel. I would not make any plans to try again, just a bit boring.

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

This was pretty average all the way around, but still a good Dubbel. It poured a dingy looking brownish-red colour with a sand coloured foamy head that didn't seem to last very long. To my displeasure, I didn't see any debris or "floaties" of any sort in this one. I really like that in a Belgian and it was abscent here. Smell was quite everage with plenty of dark fruit and toasted grains. Taste was nice with dark fruit profiles, toasted grains, and a lack of that metallic taste that seems to be so prevalent in Belgian styles. The alcohol, while detectable, was very in-offensive and mild. This was pretty smooth and very easy to drink, especially considering the style. I have had better as far as this style goes, but I have had much worse, too. Pleasant.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Cork tells me that this is number 142959. Pours a slightly hazy dark mahogany color, with a one finger head. Decent retention gives way to a blanket of foam, a clumpy lacing.

Aroma is very yeast. Fresh bread, yeast phenols, spicy, and slightly earthy.

The flavor is a bit of a surprize. Dry from front to back, and only the spicy yeast phenols give any flavor. Hardly any malt flavor at all, with a bit of hops on the finish. Not sweet and fruity like most dubbles. Mouthfeel is smooth, if not a little thin. Drinkability is good.

Decent beer overall, but I've definitely had better brunes. I'd buy it again, but only if all of the other brunes were unavailable.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%

Corked and caged brune with the wonderful painting-quality scene on the label of what is presumed to be medieval Le Roeulx. Appearance when poured from the 750 into my deep Duvel tulip glass includes a bubbly head with decidely no lace. The color is a clear hazelnut brown with ample carbonation. The aroma is at once faint... a sure sign of dissapointment for me since I expect a noseful with any solid strong brown. Then, nut and coffee nuttiness with faint candied sugar notes. You really have to swirl this stuff to whip up the aromatic signature or what there is of it. The taste is nutty with hints of candied sugar. Mild again, however, the taste becomes more pronounced as the liquid warms. Mouthfeel comes through with a swirl or two and presents a pleasant coating for the tongue. It's a drinkable but somewhat unremarkable dubbel. I much prefer something that's not so understated. Still, if your options are few, worth the investment.

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%

Dark brown. The nose is malty flavor and spices. The palate is heady, offers roasted malt but blackberries and grapes. These flavors are propagated in the palate with light touches of clove. We find the bitterness in the aftertaste. A classic Dubbel but fantasy.

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%

Beer poured a dark brown with a nice full slightly tan head (straight down the center into a tulip glass). As I drank the beer you could see the head remain on the side of the glass.

First hit the nose with a nutty aroma that went to a sour cherries.

When first poured and sipped the beer did not show many flavor characteristics, in fact it was quite disappointing, however, as the beer sat for no more than 3 minutes it really opened up and gave way to the taste that were noticed in the bouquet. The strongest flavor was the nuttiness with some sour notes but no fruit like it smelled. The finish was short and tart - I would have preferred a stronger longer finish. By the last sips the beer had completely opened up and gave way to that "Belgianny"farm quality.

Overall this was a good beer but not a great one. I paid roughly $4-$6 and do not think that I would spend that much on this again.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured on tap at Pizza Paradiso into a tulip glass.

A one finger creamy light brown head is produced with lots of carbonation. Tightly packed head bubbles, and a real nice red caramel/brown colored body that is opaque.

Bouquet on this is a classic dubbel but too small and kind of hard to find. Small dry malty powder sensation, slight bit of cream too.

Taste is also small, a faint light raisin quality and mild maltyness.

This is pretty pedestrian for this style, boring, bland kind of simple but doesn't make me desire to drink it.

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%

Reviewed 3/26/2009 (bottle ~50degF):

Pours a very fizzy off-white head, quickly diminishing. Body is ruby brown in color, very cloudy, can't see through. Very fruity aroma, some dark fruit like plum and fig, and some raisin. Aroma of seedy fruits, like berries. A little effervescence and dustiness. Fruity taste, floral. Light floral aftertaste. Soft carbonated mouthfeel, a little sourness. Letting warm up a bit...More fruit present, thick and creamy mouthfeel. Okay tasting, some spices, but a little bland.

3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Red hue with a nice 1 to 2 finger head.

Caramel malt crisp and fruity with a sweetness that is not overbearing. The taste is full bodied and smooth making this abbey brewed ale a great drink.

This was only the second time i had tried this beer, but it does not lose any of its flare the second time around. A good buy, highly recommended for any situation.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Same bottle but mine says 8.5% and it pours a clear kola beer hue which leaves a frothy two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is raisins soaked in brandy,xmas pudding and nutmeg,the mouthfeel is a tad creamy,well carbonated and sweet and has tastes of chocolate coated cherries,raisins,ginger,bananna bread and finished with a sweet belgian yeasty bread flavour and basically like liquid food and after you get past the look of this it really isnt that bad but theres better out there.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Served in a St. Feuillien chalice, the beer pours a brown/ruby red color with a good sized tan head. It smells like dark fruit (plums, raisins), caramel and a bit of chocolate. It tastes like dark fruit and caramel, and there's also a bit of a tart/sour hoppy grapefruit finish. Body is medium, but the mouthfeel is very carbonated. Luckily it doesn't affect the drinkability too much, even though it could be better. Overall I think it's a decent beer, but not a great one either. I'd like to try this again some other time.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Seemingly clear (the liquid a bit hazier on my second pour), ruby-brown in hue; when my glass was backlit a bright tawny-garnet color is noticeable. Beige foam, at the apex the head was some three fingers tall. Head retention was fair, the bubbles slowly but steadily collapsed to a thin cap. There was no subsequent lacing of note; odd. Sad. The appearance is sound but not special.

The nose is spicy, fruity, and malty which is exactly what a Dubbel should smell like. I love the aromas of alcohol soaked cake, raisin bread with a shot of spiced rum on the side. Dates, chocolate, brown sugar, some faded spices; I swear I detect a hint of menthol (?), maybe mint (?). I like what I smell; the methanol/mint aroma is odd but tolerable (as it is in the distance). The bouquet just lacks a little maltiness, IMO, but technically I suppose it is dead-on for the style. I’m just being picky. The aromas are inviting and I can’t wait to take a sip.

My first impression of the palate was the lack of a malt backbone. Maybe I shouldn’t complain. It is a Dubbel and it is sub-8% abv. I taste vodka and bread, I taste rum and cake; I taste more alcohol then I do heat and I don’t really detect any alcohol strength (if that makes sense). Spicy, some cloves, some pepper lay on top of chocolate, brown sugar, and toast. It has a warmish finish, lightly malty; it is enjoyable but kind of tame. I don’t really have much negative to say about the palate. I think it is a good representation of the style but it is not outstanding either.

Medium in body; low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is a tad thin and a bit sluggish for me. I’d like to see more life.

No matter what I said this is a drinkable and tasty beer. While there are other Dubbels that are “better” there really isn’t anything wrong with this one. I think my bottle is a few year’s old. I’m not sure. Maybe it doesn’t age well. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Des Moines, IA. I will drink this again. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

St. Feuillien Brune explodes out of the 11.2 oz. bottle and has a thick, rocky, cream-colored head, a murky, bubbly, lighter-brown appearance, and a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, brown bread crust, light brown sugar, grain, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is of those elements with a grain husk aspect as well. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly, and St. Feuillien Brune finishes rich, sweet, and interesting.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

I had a twelve ounce draft of this at Manhattan's Amsterdam Ale House, where it was available both on tap and in bottles.

It poured a dark, somewhat cloudy dark brown color with plenty of carbonation and lots of belgian lacing. Aroma was that of dark fruit, maybe a little bit of candy.

The flavor was malty and the alcohol was well hidden. There's a certain quality to the flavor of a dubbel, I can't describe it, that was not present here. Maybe the hops were not as present as they should be.

In any case, if you like Dubbel's this is a nice one.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Cloudy; chestnut brown; big, frothy, cream-colored head

Aroma: Peppery; honey; pears; dried fruit, maybe dates

Taste: Semi-sweet, slightly bitter start; nutty, bitter finish and aftertaste; sweet notes; alcohol comes through

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Fast becoming a huge fan of Belgian Trappist Ales. I love their no-holds-barred, throw-the-rule-book-out-the-window approach to brewing. Unless it's actually a many-holds-barred, we-wrote-the-rule-book approach they take, which makes more sense because they have been doing this for quite a while. In any case these monk guys know how to make a tongue-smashingly good brew, and adding vitamin C to the mix - I'm not sure if it is to improve the taste or some ancient monastic secret to prevent a hangover the next day, but let's just say "Bravo St Feuillien, bravo".

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a St Feuillien chalice.

A: Cloudy chestnut body with a patchy beige head on top. Looks like many Dubbels I've come to know (and love).

S: Aroma is a heady banana/bubble-gum affair, laced with candi sugar and a hint of Ethyl Acetate and a very clean finish. There is a musty yeast note in the background but the aroma really drives home banana and bubble-gum fragrance which is typical of a Weizen (and to a lesser extent Trappist brews).

T: There is a hit of Diacetyl upfront (which is a bit disconcerting actually), but other than that the ale takes on a yeasty character with subdued banana/bubble-gum notes, the Ethyl Acetate turns into a solvent-like flavour and really clashes with the candi sugar finish. It's probably the most Frankensteinian of Trappist brews I've tried and I'm having a difficult time deciding if I love it or hate it (though I'm leaning slightly towards hate). Note: Gets better as it gets warmer.

M: Classic Belgian Trappist territory here; tight carbonation with a mid to heavy body that borders on sticky.

D: Had to think long and hard about this (not a euphemism). On the one hand it offers some unique Trappist characters, but on the other hand those characters may be too unique. It's interesting to say the least. Could get used to it, or could drink a Grimbergen Dubbel instead... yeah I'll take the Grimbergen. Note: I may have had an off-sample here as other reviewers have noted distinctly different flavours to what I have experienced.

Food match: Difficult match as I'm afraid my sample may have been spoiled (will know when I've reviewed the other two St Feuillien brews I have). That being said I normally approach a Dubbel as complimentary of desserts (in this case possibly banoffee pie) or contrasting to a sharp matured cheese.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

I like the oud brune style of beer; I never know quite what to expect other than copious amounts of sourness (and I do love sour). This one looked and smelled terrific, but the flavor disappointed a bit; lots of cereal-ness and not enough sourness.

Appearance was a brilliant red brown body with a scummy lilly-pad of foam floating in the middle of my goblet. Aroma was quite good - there was a whiskey, sour, cherriness. Flavor didn't deliver the expectation thay the aroma built; it was cereal-y and grainy with only a modicum of sour. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

I would recommend this beer, but not without conditions (what are your other options?) and reservations.

I had this from a bottle at d.b.a. In New Orleans.

St. Feuillien Brune from Brasserie St. Feuillien