St. Feuillien Brune - Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien BruneSt. Feuillien Brune

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 10-23-2002)
3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Dark brown. The nose is malty flavor and spices. The palate is heady, offers roasted malt but blackberries and grapes. These flavors are propagated in the palate with light touches of clove. We find the bitterness in the aftertaste. A classic Dubbel but fantasy.

ThaCreep, May 28, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Beer poured a dark brown with a nice full slightly tan head (straight down the center into a tulip glass). As I drank the beer you could see the head remain on the side of the glass.

First hit the nose with a nutty aroma that went to a sour cherries.

When first poured and sipped the beer did not show many flavor characteristics, in fact it was quite disappointing, however, as the beer sat for no more than 3 minutes it really opened up and gave way to the taste that were noticed in the bouquet. The strongest flavor was the nuttiness with some sour notes but no fruit like it smelled. The finish was short and tart - I would have preferred a stronger longer finish. By the last sips the beer had completely opened up and gave way to that "Belgianny"farm quality.

Overall this was a good beer but not a great one. I paid roughly $4-$6 and do not think that I would spend that much on this again.

Jono0284, Dec 05, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Red hue with a nice 1 to 2 finger head.

Caramel malt crisp and fruity with a sweetness that is not overbearing. The taste is full bodied and smooth making this abbey brewed ale a great drink.

This was only the second time i had tried this beer, but it does not lose any of its flare the second time around. A good buy, highly recommended for any situation.

sespourteille, Jan 11, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -9%

Fast becoming a huge fan of Belgian Trappist Ales. I love their no-holds-barred, throw-the-rule-book-out-the-window approach to brewing. Unless it's actually a many-holds-barred, we-wrote-the-rule-book approach they take, which makes more sense because they have been doing this for quite a while. In any case these monk guys know how to make a tongue-smashingly good brew, and adding vitamin C to the mix - I'm not sure if it is to improve the taste or some ancient monastic secret to prevent a hangover the next day, but let's just say "Bravo St Feuillien, bravo".

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a St Feuillien chalice.

A: Cloudy chestnut body with a patchy beige head on top. Looks like many Dubbels I've come to know (and love).

S: Aroma is a heady banana/bubble-gum affair, laced with candi sugar and a hint of Ethyl Acetate and a very clean finish. There is a musty yeast note in the background but the aroma really drives home banana and bubble-gum fragrance which is typical of a Weizen (and to a lesser extent Trappist brews).

T: There is a hit of Diacetyl upfront (which is a bit disconcerting actually), but other than that the ale takes on a yeasty character with subdued banana/bubble-gum notes, the Ethyl Acetate turns into a solvent-like flavour and really clashes with the candi sugar finish. It's probably the most Frankensteinian of Trappist brews I've tried and I'm having a difficult time deciding if I love it or hate it (though I'm leaning slightly towards hate). Note: Gets better as it gets warmer.

M: Classic Belgian Trappist territory here; tight carbonation with a mid to heavy body that borders on sticky.

D: Had to think long and hard about this (not a euphemism). On the one hand it offers some unique Trappist characters, but on the other hand those characters may be too unique. It's interesting to say the least. Could get used to it, or could drink a Grimbergen Dubbel instead... yeah I'll take the Grimbergen. Note: I may have had an off-sample here as other reviewers have noted distinctly different flavours to what I have experienced.

Food match: Difficult match as I'm afraid my sample may have been spoiled (will know when I've reviewed the other two St Feuillien brews I have). That being said I normally approach a Dubbel as complimentary of desserts (in this case possibly banoffee pie) or contrasting to a sharp matured cheese.

doktorhops, Sep 26, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -9%

I like the oud brune style of beer; I never know quite what to expect other than copious amounts of sourness (and I do love sour). This one looked and smelled terrific, but the flavor disappointed a bit; lots of cereal-ness and not enough sourness.

Appearance was a brilliant red brown body with a scummy lilly-pad of foam floating in the middle of my goblet. Aroma was quite good - there was a whiskey, sour, cherriness. Flavor didn't deliver the expectation thay the aroma built; it was cereal-y and grainy with only a modicum of sour. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

I would recommend this beer, but not without conditions (what are your other options?) and reservations.

I had this from a bottle at d.b.a. In New Orleans.

BeerBelcher, Apr 04, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Served in a St. Feuillien chalice, the beer pours a brown/ruby red color with a good sized tan head. It smells like dark fruit (plums, raisins), caramel and a bit of chocolate. It tastes like dark fruit and caramel, and there's also a bit of a tart/sour hoppy grapefruit finish. Body is medium, but the mouthfeel is very carbonated. Luckily it doesn't affect the drinkability too much, even though it could be better. Overall I think it's a decent beer, but not a great one either. I'd like to try this again some other time.

bluejacket74, Feb 24, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Same bottle but mine says 8.5% and it pours a clear kola beer hue which leaves a frothy two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is raisins soaked in brandy,xmas pudding and nutmeg,the mouthfeel is a tad creamy,well carbonated and sweet and has tastes of chocolate coated cherries,raisins,ginger,bananna bread and finished with a sweet belgian yeasty bread flavour and basically like liquid food and after you get past the look of this it really isnt that bad but theres better out there.

ADZA, Dec 30, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Seemingly clear (the liquid a bit hazier on my second pour), ruby-brown in hue; when my glass was backlit a bright tawny-garnet color is noticeable. Beige foam, at the apex the head was some three fingers tall. Head retention was fair, the bubbles slowly but steadily collapsed to a thin cap. There was no subsequent lacing of note; odd. Sad. The appearance is sound but not special.

The nose is spicy, fruity, and malty which is exactly what a Dubbel should smell like. I love the aromas of alcohol soaked cake, raisin bread with a shot of spiced rum on the side. Dates, chocolate, brown sugar, some faded spices; I swear I detect a hint of menthol (?), maybe mint (?). I like what I smell; the methanol/mint aroma is odd but tolerable (as it is in the distance). The bouquet just lacks a little maltiness, IMO, but technically I suppose it is dead-on for the style. I’m just being picky. The aromas are inviting and I can’t wait to take a sip.

My first impression of the palate was the lack of a malt backbone. Maybe I shouldn’t complain. It is a Dubbel and it is sub-8% abv. I taste vodka and bread, I taste rum and cake; I taste more alcohol then I do heat and I don’t really detect any alcohol strength (if that makes sense). Spicy, some cloves, some pepper lay on top of chocolate, brown sugar, and toast. It has a warmish finish, lightly malty; it is enjoyable but kind of tame. I don’t really have much negative to say about the palate. I think it is a good representation of the style but it is not outstanding either.

Medium in body; low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is a tad thin and a bit sluggish for me. I’d like to see more life.

No matter what I said this is a drinkable and tasty beer. While there are other Dubbels that are “better” there really isn’t anything wrong with this one. I think my bottle is a few year’s old. I’m not sure. Maybe it doesn’t age well. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Des Moines, IA. I will drink this again. Worth a try.

bditty187, Oct 23, 2006

PaF, Dec 31, 2013

Anze, Jun 26, 2014

crosbyms, Sep 04, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

St. Feuillien Brune explodes out of the 11.2 oz. bottle and has a thick, rocky, cream-colored head, a murky, bubbly, lighter-brown appearance, and a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, brown bread crust, light brown sugar, grain, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is of those elements with a grain husk aspect as well. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly, and St. Feuillien Brune finishes rich, sweet, and interesting.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Feb 04, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

I had a twelve ounce draft of this at Manhattan's Amsterdam Ale House, where it was available both on tap and in bottles.

It poured a dark, somewhat cloudy dark brown color with plenty of carbonation and lots of belgian lacing. Aroma was that of dark fruit, maybe a little bit of candy.

The flavor was malty and the alcohol was well hidden. There's a certain quality to the flavor of a dubbel, I can't describe it, that was not present here. Maybe the hops were not as present as they should be.

In any case, if you like Dubbel's this is a nice one.

david18, Nov 03, 2010

ygtbsm94, Feb 20, 2012

Kahlerbock, Aug 21, 2013

Luiz0930, Aug 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Cloudy; chestnut brown; big, frothy, cream-colored head

Aroma: Peppery; honey; pears; dried fruit, maybe dates

Taste: Semi-sweet, slightly bitter start; nutty, bitter finish and aftertaste; sweet notes; alcohol comes through

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores