St. Feuillien Triple - Brasserie St. Feuillien

to view more.
Ratings: 511 | Reviews: 269
Reviews by blakesell:
4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from the 750ml caged and corked bottle into a standard pint glass (I really need to wash my Belgian glasses)

Beer pours lightly hazed and golden with yeast sediment swimming about just looking for anything else to ferment. Head is solid with large soft bubbles that gradually fade in the glass. Lacing is healthy on the sides but not overboard. This is very impressive on appearance if nothing else.

Smell- Well, it's impressive on something else. Light citrus and white pepper, light 2 row Belgian pilsner malts, the yeast is very impressive, light and fluffy but light fruits linger in there as well. I hate using the term complex because it doesn't really describe anything, but it's the best I can come up with at this point in time.

Taste- Creamy and spicy at the same time, fruity and soft on the tongue. The white pepper flavor comes right through, none of that over sweet candi taste that frequently comes through in Tripels. Super light hop presence that provides an excellent balance. Honestly, this may be the most solid Tripel I have ever tasted, and I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Mouthfeel- Lightly sticky, but not overly, highly carbonated, very smooth, creamy, and medium light bodied.

Drinkability- For a tripel I have a feeling you will have a hard time finding anything smoother. Not warming for the gravity. Very enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy orange color with an awesome big fluffy head,aroma is spicey and very orange-like.I get a clove taste and aroma from this brew along with a light smokiness likely from the yeast,a light pepper taste lingers on the tongue,I have to say this was a great fing the alcohal is not at all prevelant making this to easy to drink,very very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance – This one poured a light, brilliant orange in color and was clear with a tremendous amount of gushing carbonation. The head was a cool-looking off-white mound of foam that would have stayed up all night.

Smell – This aroma is very balanced. The raw yeast was right on queue and mixed perfectly with some wonderful tangerine. The spicing was mild, mostly coriander, but mixed well with the other characteristics of the nose.

Taste – Wow! The orange flavors here are not cheap as they are with many pretenders of the style. This is not the candy orange lollipop flavor so common these days. This is clean, refreshing, naturally-squeezed orange juice. The yeast, which so often backs down at the taste, held up strong. The delicate spices evened things out.

Mouthfeel – This is bigger than medium in the body with some terrific carbonation. It is brilliantly blended.

Drinkability – This is my idea of an Abbey Tripel. I could have drunk this all night. What a treat.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

St. Feuillien Triple

A- Pours a yellow-orange fluid with massive white head that very slowly falls around the rim leaving heavy foamy lacing on side of glass.
Obvious Carbonation thoughout beer.

S- Smell is of white wine, sweet sugar alcohol esters, and white bread.

T-M- Quite smooth flavor with a yeasty start. Flavors consist of heavily bland yeast and wheat and alcohol esters. Thick bready feel on the tongue with mild sting for the alcohol bite.

D- Not the best but worth tring. This beer has the mainstream taste and feel of a triple but lacks the flavors to make it a real winner.

3.64/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured out a dark amber color, very nice! Came out with a beige, cake-like head that reduced down nicely to about one finger of fluffyness. The bottle is 11.2oz size. Scents of caramel and of metal. A little bit overly carbinated for me. It just foams up in your mouth a bit too much to feel comfortable.... Taste is one-dimensional, but there is a taste of vanilla extract. Decent triple with good drinkability.

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

750mL cork and caged bottle poured into chalice.

Wonderful golden color with a pillowy white head that retreated and left a solid lacing. Yeasty, clove, banana, and other spices make up the aroma. Taste has a fruitiness to it with banana and clove, very good, almost perfectly put together. Average carbonation and medium to full body. Very drinkable, not one I would have very often, but is great when I do have it I will cherish it.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving glass: Poured from tap into proper St, Feuillien mini-snifter.

Appearance: Hazy honey with decent cream colored head.

Smell: No idea what this smells like. Oddly sweet with strange spices and herbs.

Taste: Oh God, it tastes like it smells, so I guess I have to try harder to describe it. Sticky, semi-rotten fruit at the core, with a cornucopia of spice flavors, including rosemary, clove, lavender, and licorice. Light banana. Beyond weird.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, with a relatively light body. Semi-dry.

Overall: Simply a very strange Tripel that I mostly enjoyed despite my inability to describe it.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Executive Summary: The bottle says this is "highly recommended for gourmet taste." While not quite Arrogant Bastard, it's pretty haughty. Thought that was worth noting. The beer itself? It's not bad - I enjoyed it - it's just not a standout.

Appearance: Pours a fairly fizzy straw golden color into my tulip. Bubbles in the head are somewhat larger than that to which I'm accustomed. Head itself is pretty robust and is a shade off of white.

Smell: Typical tripel here...pilsener malts, banana/clove notes from the yeast. Some spiciness here as well.

Taste: More alcohol in on the palate than I've seen in many tripels - it usually plays more of a supporting role. Definitely spicy, too. Initial malt flavor is subdued; instead, you get the last fleeting moments of sweetness, followed quickly by the Styrian Golding-like hops and that noticeable alcohol. The aforementioned spiciness lingers in your throat as well.

Mouthfeel: A little too much carbonation for me, but I recognize Belgians - Tripels especially - can be a little juiced up on this aspect. The hyperbubble also serves to jack up the perceived spiciness as well.

Drinkability: It's a pretty accessible tripel (regardless of what the label says). It's got enough nice flavors to keep me interested long enough to finish the bottle, but I wouldn't make a session out of it, even if I were going to stay in the style.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

330 ml bottle with a bottled on date almost exactly 2 years past.

A: Pours cloudy, pale amber with a good, semi-durable head. Some sediment added in the pour but more left in the bottle.

Smells like a refined but yeasty/bready Belgian tripel. Mildly spicy.

Flavor: complex, with fruity, spicy and bready elements interweaving with very good balance.

Feel: lively carbonation in a crisp, near-medium body.

O: excellent tripel emphasizing fruity and peppery flavors.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

(Served in a goblet)

A- This beer has a bright orange hazy body with a thin white ring of head around the rim.

S- The smell of perfume has notes of roses and pears in the background.

T- The smooth sweet light malt taste has notes of pears and apple juice with a faint pepper note in the finish. The very faint alcohol taste at the finish gives the pepper note a hint of green hop bitterness.

M- The light mouthfeel has a alcohol warmth and a fizz texture.

D- The light faint fruit notes are not very complex with a slightly sweet slightly bitter balance that washes out a lot of the complexity.

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

A recent addition to the small repertoire of beer here in Okie land. Thoughts of trying a new beer in the back of my mind all day at work, get home and pop the cork on a 750 mL bottle.

First thing noted was the high carbonation and the smell of estery hops, thin malts and a very slight citrus tang. Medium bodied and quite lively in ye 'ole mouth, quite pleasant. Hop flavors seemed just a bit out of whack, but overall a decent triple.

3.09/5  rDev -22%

11.2 oz. bottle into a wine glass. No freshness or bottling date, but I know I bought this at least two years ago, and I'm holding this holds up.

Appearance: Golden yellow with little haze, but hardly any carbonation and no lacing. Too cold? Not sure what's going on, but doesn't look like a Tripel to me.

Smell: I get candi sugar, mild bananas, mild cream, and some yeast, but really nothing else. It's balanced yes, but if someone told me this was a domestic I would've believed them.

Taste: Again, balanced, with the candi sugar and mild banana and fruit flavors, with a sweet finish and not much mildness, which can become a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel: A bit too cloying without enough carbonation, making harder to get more of the flavors than I'd anticipated.

Drinkability: I suppose I should say that when I cracked open the bottle -- and later checked the cap after I'd consumed it -- there was an odd brown color, that of which I've never seen. Could that be oxidation? I'm not sure, but I know I wouldn't try this again. The bottle didn't explode or anything, and the taste wasn't peculiarly out of context or anything, but I have a feeling something may have happened to it as far as oxidation, but I'm not sure...

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Clear and golden below a modest snowy cap.
Nose features cane sugar, pears, apple skins and mango. Joined by a doughy, musty yeast, and tracers of boozy heat.
Dryish pils malt base. Crackers than fatten to bread as it warms. But the onrushing carbonation keeps this from establishing too much girth, and makes this seem prickly and parched throughout. Tropical fruit is the marquee here (Must be a small venue). Pear juice, and star fruit, and plantains. Bits of tart apple, though they are quickly swept away. Spicy via white pepper and clove and coriander. Yeast is belittled. General mustiness is found on the periphery, but the CO2 levels brush it aside hastily. The floral and grassy (Saaz?) hop surge at the end is nice, but once again, the bubbles interfere. Some touches of white rum heat are politely interwoven. Strength, on the whole, is difficult to assess. Masked again by the gas, perhaps?
If you haven't noticed, I have some issues with the over-charged nature. I love a nice, spritzy tripel. But not when the scraping fizziness tosses the intricacies out to sea.
Much is lost here, and never recovered.

Damn, I want to like this so much. I want to wait until it settles into what it is destined to be, then pounce all over it, and love it.

I'm left with blue balls. I keep calling, and nothing happens, but it just continues to lead me along. But in reality...there's no hope. No chance of gratification.

I'm deflated, but I'm not mad. It happens. It was sorta fun while it lasted. I just envisioned more...and we were almost there. It can still come around. We just need to try harder. Really...things aren't so bad.
We can work it out. I'm not willing to throw this all away just yet.

(to myself) "Cokes...hang the fucking phone up and move on."

So be it.

In retrospect,
It seems- underneath it all- an easy-going, templatic tripel. Shy yet affable. But I just can't deal with the carbonated baggage. And thus, I can finally recognize it as washed-out, flavor-needy and vacant. And, really, not worth my time or expense.

Fortunately, for me, the relationship only lasted an hour or so. I've had this sort of thing linger for years.

Smooth fruity abbey triple. Fruity yeast aroma of quality. Nice and moderate lace. Some fruit in the sip. A bit complex in spice with cloves . Tad of sediment Spicey bit astringent lemoney finish and aftertaste. Had on tap about two years later and enjoyed middle mouthfeel.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

A - Amber color with a hazy film swirling in the glass. Some carbonation, and nice lacing on the galss.

S - Scents of candied fruit, nuts, and fresh bread.

T - Flavor of cherries, apricots, mingle with the slight tartness of an astringent bite from the belgian yeast. A surprisingly complex beer.

M - Very subtle and smooth. Great with my pot of moules. Has a medium body feel and very easy to have a couple of these. One of the more moderate triples I can recall.

O - This is a solid tripel that I could easily have a few of. Certainly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

bottle enjoyed at Cafe Gollem in lovely Amsterdam - i noted that this was my favorite tripel of the Amsterdam run

appearance: pours a bright golden orange color, big fluffy white cap and lovely retention

smell: big and fruity, tropical fruits, pineapple, "beautiful"

taste: i lvoed this triple as it really drove home the tropical fruit and pineapple...i noted lots of white pepper and spice as well as clove and banana in the flavor profile as well as candied sugar

mouthfeel: on point

drinkability: high

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

The Tripel itself pours just like you'd expect. Cloudy light orange with a fluffy and creamy white head. Inviting aroma of lemon, coriander, and yeast. Very aggressive and spicy hops come up first. A punch from the carbonation, too. This initial kick gives way to the familiar banana and yeast of a tripel. Some of the best lacing I've ever seen. Lingering and dry finish.

Perhaps not the most amazing Tripel I've had, but it's quite good.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance is golden and cloudy with a decent head if poured correctly.

Aroma is citrus and a bit of spice.

Taste is a mix of fruits, spicy hops, pepper, and I also get a faint taste of wild mint leaf.

Overall this is a solid Belgian triple ale. Light enough to have more than one, but enough abv to sip, and enough flavor to enjoy. Cheers!

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured into a tulip glass this hazy wheat yellow belgian created lots of white head so much that I had to stop pouring to allow it to subside. It even began to overflow just after I opened the bottle.

The smell is standard for Belgian wheats, grain and some lemon.

I felt like the main flavours were the alcohol with some light oak. Also grain and a malt taste chimed in as well.

The high carbonation dominated the mouth and tongue with the alcohol comming in a close second.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

750ml. corked bottle.
Pours with a great white head over cloudy light amber liquid in the glass. Has a nice fruity, barnyardy yeasty nose. The taste features a light body, great hop flavor followed by muted fruity sweet malt, and alcohol. Finishes sweet, potent and hoppy...a damn nice Tripel!

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

This is a quite straightforward triple, but...one of the best in this style.

L: couldn't be better, clear, golden colour, huge triple top;
S: spicy, spinach, bread, hops.
T: original combination of a tiny liquorice, followed by soft hops, ending slightly bitterish; at the background the Walonian spices;
M: really great, perfect alcohol, slight bitterishness, full mouthfeel;
O: as I said: one of the best!

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Draft at Gourmet Haus Staudt, served in a tiny ticker glass, just how I like it.

Pours hazy golden in color with a large white head and great lacing.

The aroma is nice, with Belgian yeast, pale malt, and light fruits, green apple especially.

Interesting flavor. There is some kind of anise/cardamom in addition to the regular tripel notes. Sweet pale malt, Belgian yeast, and fruity esters.

Medium-bodied with lively carbonation and a good mouthfeel.

Pretty good for the style overall. Rather drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Slightly hazy (on my first pour, the second and third pour produced more haziness), brilliant gold-amber in hue, for some reason I really find the liquid attractive. White foam, at the apex there was over three fingers of head. The bubbles slowly collapsed to fizzy, squat cap. Subsequent lacing was very sporadic. Overall, this is a good-looking beer but nothing to remarkable.

The nose is impressive; sharp tropical fruit that does smell overly sweet or candy-like. In fact it seems quite dry. Alcoholic but not overly so with slight peppery hints, cloves too; I smell banana in the background along with some oranges and tangerines. I get hints of coriander. Earthy at times… spicy/grassy hops; I love the nose. It is a slightly different take on the style and yet when I smell it I think “Triple.” Moderate-high potency, chatty, complex… I would call it very inviting.

The palate is assertive; bitter and fruity with minimal malty flavors. I adore the tropical fruit tang; pineapple, banana, oranges plus kisses of grapes, apples, and melon. I get hints of honey, notes of pepper and clove with a flash of alcohol heat. Grass/hay in the distance; even further away are suggestions of coriander. Woody, musty notes with a hint of cork lay on top of a base of pilsner malts. Hoppy, bitter finish with some alcohol and fruit; I love how the flavors linger. This Triple is really hitting the spot with me. I find it sweet and tangy! I think it is incredibly well-balanced and very flavorful. Yum.

The mouthfeel is terrific; there is something about the meshing of the aftertaste along with the moderate, ticklish carbonation and the medium-full body that works very well. The body is big enough to support the flavors and the carbonation is lively enough (but not too much so) to scrub away some of the residue. I’m not sure how the mouthfeel could be improved or fit this beer any better.

Drinkable? Hell yeah. Haven’t you been reading? I am a fan of the brewery but this beer has surprised me. It is much better then I thought it would be; this is a very lovely Triple! I find it easy to drink but plenty complex. This was a joy. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Des Moines, IA. I can’t wait to drink this again. Recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'll give this a b+

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

750 ml bottle. No freshness date.

Poured a pale, cloudy straw color with small-to-moderate head and decent lace. Smells of candi sugars, grainy malt, and plenty of hops. Tastes slightly honey-like, with citrus notes and a strong dose of hops (for a tripel). The beer rides a wave of strong carbonation, making it feel light in the mouth and quite drinkable.

Fairly simple, but flavorful and well-tuned.

to view more.