1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Feuillien Triple - Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien TripleSt. Feuillien Triple

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-07-2002)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 440 | Reviews: 258 | Show All Ratings:
bobhits

Kentucky

2.17/5  rDev -45.3%

Cloudy overly odd looking beer....a lot is going on here that the snobs of yeast aren't for ad me ok with big yeast is kind unimpressed. Head didn't work as well for me as others claim.

The nose is apples, pears, and spices...a lot of them. A bit of nice hops and flavor.

The body is over carbonated!!! But nothing new. Thick body but doesn't feel creamy as I like

A touch too hot...maybe way hot by some views.

I don't dislike this one either. This brewer seems to not screw up the styles or make them overly boring but they seems to miss things.

12-23-2011 01:26:59 | More by bobhits
Bucciamarcia

2.63/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Blond cloudy with little foam that disappears quickly, smells a lot like european hops. Quite carbonated and I think citrus. Strong taste of hops, but still balanced. The alcohol is not too overwhelming in the mouth. Plain beer with few interesting notes: not bad, but I expected a lot more.

08-17-2013 20:15:18 | More by Bucciamarcia
Vancer

2.7/5  rDev -32%

POP! went the cork on this bad boy – umm, can’t wait for the tripel. Bright golden yellow, smallish white head - sticky laces. But wait, aroma is somewhat weak, just some thin malts and floral appear. Oh no, what a subdued tasting – just hints of sweet malt instead of a rich & malty brew - no fruit either. Just a thin, over carbed soda pop. Crap, this was really disappointing – no wonder it’s retired.

09-21-2005 13:13:07 | More by Vancer
BlastBeats

2.83/5  rDev -28.7%

Bought the St. Feuillien gift pack; came with the Blonde, Brune, and Triple.. as well as a pretty nice chalice.

Appearance: Poured this tripel into my newly acquired St. Feuillien chalice and observed it's pale amber, perhaps dull, chill hazed yellowish color and compact white head.

Smell: there's some hop spice, that yeasty Belgian bottle conditioned aroma, and maybe a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Here's where it loses me; there's an unpleasant flavor that lingers at the very back of the tongue.. it's like a harsh, dry, phenolic taste that really brings this beer down. And the yeast doesn't really "pop" with pleasant esters like some of the better examples of this style.

Mouthfeel: the mouthfeel is what is to be expected; medium bodied, adequate carbonation.

Overall: Sorry, but this one doesn't really do it for me, and I usually always enjoy the tripel style. If you see this one on the shelves, I would suggest passing it over for La Fin Du Monde or Westmalle Tripel.

03-01-2012 07:05:03 | More by BlastBeats
Absumaster

Netherlands

2.85/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I was exited to try this beer, I saw it was high in the charts, but I am disappointed.

This beer pours a yellow orange beer with a crude head and some sticky foam.

Smell was ripe green apples, with some cork and a bit solvent.

Taste was corky and dry, almost like chewing a cork. Lots of solvent and banana, alcoholic. Body was pretty full at the beginning. After I got used to the solvent, I found this beer slightly oxidized and cardboard. I don't think I like this beer, it is too sharp and appears to be out of balance, over the top. Too bad.

08-30-2006 19:44:22 | More by Absumaster
mrasskicktastic

A - A good amount of head that dissipated quickly leaving a hefty lacing down the sides of the glass. The beer itself is a clear rich golden brew.

S - Light malt and champagne grapes. Not a lot going on here, but it isn't unpleasant.

T - A faint hay flavor with a touch of dry maltiness and champagne grapes. Aftertaste is a faint bitterness with a bit of grassy hops and faint spicy white pepper.

M - Smooth, very thin, pretty refreshing.

D - Good, a bit too mild as I prefer a pronounced tripel.

04-16-2007 02:41:59 | More by mrasskicktastic
asabreed

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

11.2 oz. bottle into a wine glass. No freshness or bottling date, but I know I bought this at least two years ago, and I'm holding this holds up.

Appearance: Golden yellow with little haze, but hardly any carbonation and no lacing. Too cold? Not sure what's going on, but doesn't look like a Tripel to me.

Smell: I get candi sugar, mild bananas, mild cream, and some yeast, but really nothing else. It's balanced yes, but if someone told me this was a domestic I would've believed them.

Taste: Again, balanced, with the candi sugar and mild banana and fruit flavors, with a sweet finish and not much mildness, which can become a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel: A bit too cloying without enough carbonation, making harder to get more of the flavors than I'd anticipated.

Drinkability: I suppose I should say that when I cracked open the bottle -- and later checked the cap after I'd consumed it -- there was an odd brown color, that of which I've never seen. Could that be oxidation? I'm not sure, but I know I wouldn't try this again. The bottle didn't explode or anything, and the taste wasn't peculiarly out of context or anything, but I have a feeling something may have happened to it as far as oxidation, but I'm not sure...

05-17-2008 20:06:50 | More by asabreed
adamette

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer on tap at The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL with (among others) my two brothers-in-law Steven and Mat August 21st, 2010. Mat lives within minutes of this place and we enjoy visiting there when I am in town. Poured into a Bavarian Lodge logo'd tulip glass.

A Hazy yellow body under a generous creamy head. At least a good look for a beer of my favorite style. 4.0

S Fruitty sweet malt and heat of alcohol. This has a lot of promise as, again, it is my favorite style. 4.5

T I was looking forward to some candi sugar sweetness and heat of alcohol in the taste but what I got was the heat from the alcohol but then some bitterness mixed in which I presume is from the Belgian yeast but could be from some hops (?). I am disappointed in this taste after what was a very promising smell. 2.5

M On the thin side vs. most other triples that I have had but it is within style limits I suppose. 2.5

D Only fair. This represents my favorite style but, compared to so many other triples (Weyerbacher Merry Monks Ale, Allagash Curieux, Unibroue La Fin du Monde come immediately to mind) are much easier for me to get and are better. 3.0

08-30-2010 02:41:20 | More by adamette
ThaCreep

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Nose is slightly fruity, slightly green grapes, alcohol as well. Malty body, but also with grain alcohol, which is unfortunately still very present.

What is even stranger than this brewery's products are usually excellent compromise. Is detected here and there a friendly and hops on one side lemon (vitamin C probably) but it is unfortunately too little digestible for a standard.

11-20-2011 12:45:44 | More by ThaCreep
HURTemHIZZY

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Opened this 750 ml bottle with very high expectations, and poured it into a glass.

Poured a fairly light, straw yellow with a head that formed very nicely but didnt hang around for nearly as long as I had hoped it would and left literally no lacing. I gave it a 3 because it is average by my standards, but was very disappointed as I was expecting this to be a very high quality ale.

The smell gave me hints of some interesting fruits, but nothing to really balance it out. It almost smelled like wine, with definite hints of pears and some grapes. Fairly bland as far as belgian beers go.

The taste pretty much followed suit with the smell, although I could notice some nice maltiness which added a bit to the overall flavor and made the taste definitely a step up from the smell. It was very hard for me to notice any hops at all.

Honestly, if you put this into a bud light bottle im sure I would have said it was incredible. I had just heard a number of great things about this beer, and found it to be fairly standrad as far as Belgian beers go.

08-05-2009 02:01:11 | More by HURTemHIZZY
foamyhead

Denmark

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

This triple has a colour like a light egg yolk. it´s cloudy and pours a head with big bubbles, it fades a bit, but the foam stays on the side of the glass.

The smell is fresh and subacid, quite compact.

The beer has a strong taste, a bit "chewy". Light to medium body, relatively big hops in the aftertaste. the alcohol comes trough.

It feels strong and soft in the mouth, with an edge of sharpness.

An ok beer, and rather cheap for an imported Belgian beer i Denmark, but there are better brews in this genre that I´d prefer to this one...

06-27-2004 20:19:44 | More by foamyhead
beveritt

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Presentation: Poured from a squat little 11.2 oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. Label depicts a riverside monastery and a man carrying some crops in a basket. No clear freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with a massive 3 1/2 finger dense, white head. This settles very slowly and very little, still maintaining about 2 fingers several minutes after the pour. Very nice lacing. The beer itself is a golden honey with a massive amount of activity; a torrent rises from the nucleation site.

Smell: Candy-like sweetness with strong aroma of bubblegum esters.

Taste: Nice big-bubble prickle of carbonation as it touches the tongue. Semi sweet, sugary malt. All in all, tastes watered down; like half of a good triple and the rest water. This gets a little better as it warms, but it still is not overly flavorful. Alcohol is hidden very well.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is good.

Drinkability: Not bad, but all in all, this seemed lacking a little in the punch department.

12-10-2008 01:32:41 | More by beveritt
crnipeter

Slovenia

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

I was surprised to see vitamin C listed amongst the ingredients. So if I'll be taking a vitamin C supplement I might take St. Feuillien instead?

Pours effervescent, slightly hazed golden body with streams of uprising carbonation, topped by compact white head that holds well and leaves firm lace about the glass.
Aroma is reigned by clove phenols with subdued citrusy-applish esters and floral hops. Alcohol is well hidden and shows up only as it warms.
Creamy on the palate; The flavor is hugely phenolic i.e.clove-like and somewhat spicy with medium finish and lightly bitter aftertaste. Overall, decent, but nothing more than that.

(Best before 08-17-2012, 330 ml into tulip)

11-29-2011 22:43:52 | More by crnipeter
katan

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

750 mil bottle, undated.

A- Very fizzy - lots of carbonation. Incredible amount of head formation which is well retained. Pearly white. Lots of bubbling inside the beer. Off/light golden in color. Hazy.

S- Yeasty and spicy - bready. Not much here for sweetness. Some of the carbonation kicks off burning CO2 matched with very light phenolic notes.

T - Starts off with a light malt sweetness. Mid-stream develops a hair of that yeast note, little bittering. Sourness forms quickly. Finishes with a nice sweetness that is quickly tempered by a sort of wheat astringency. Aftertaste is a big time phenolic hit.

M - Huge amount of carbonation bite. Probably indicative of the style, but way overdone in my opinion. Not much after taste or filming on the tongue.

D - Higher abv combined with the huge filling nature of the carbonation profile puts this on the lower end of the drinkability profile.

For what some think is probably a very monolithic style, I sure run into new variations all the time.

03-08-2009 03:09:20 | More by katan
DarkerTheBetter

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served in a chalice with a dark honey gold color but with no head at all. The color of the beer faded to nearly clear towards the edges of the chalice. Smelled of banana, root beer and spicy yeast. Tasted strongly of home brewed root beer, pears, vanilla and a slight bit of doughy yeast. This yeast grew a bit more spicy as the beer warmed. Mouth feel was thin to medium bodied with a light carbonation. The root beer overtones really ruined this beer for me. I even handed it to my buddy and asked him to take a sip and he said, “tastes like the root beer from the co-op.” Disappointing. I'll have to try it in the bottle.

01-12-2006 16:43:02 | More by DarkerTheBetter
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 11/30/2008 (bottle dated L21092009):

Pours a nice cloudy golden orange-yellow color body, some white head, but it's small and diminishing. Somewhat floral sweet aroma, some sweet spices, but not too much. Also some malts are present, and a lot more alcohol in the nose at it warms up. Soft palate, a light floral taste. Weakish flavor too. Acidic in the taste. Some hotness. Not an overpowering palate, good taste, but not too extreme. Somewhat watery. Kinda bland the more it warms up.

11-30-2008 22:24:26 | More by jujubeast6000
JoBoTo

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Went on deployment and stopped off in Spain, where I found a pleasant little Beer Shop, and managed to pick up a 75cl bottle of this for I think it was 4 euro... didn't think was too bad a price, and definitely was a pain in the ass getting it home. I bought a bunch of others at the time, but for some reason this one seemed to be constantly begging me to drink it... Here goes...

Duvel Chalet, 75cl bottle, refrigerated at 37 degrees F, warmed to approx 45-50 degrees F,

L- Comes out a surprisingly beautiful orange gold. Slightly opaque, but still enough that you can see the bubbles rising off the Duvel "D". 2-3 fingers of head, probably from my over zealous pouring, but what can you do?? The head remains after typing this paragraph, and is a nice pearlescent white.

S- Malt, with sweet under tones...really having to search this beer for anything beyond this. Slight citrus. Mild citrus, like a ripe tangerine, instead of the robust lemon. If you didn't know this was a tripel, the smell definitely betrays it.

M- medium bodied, good amount of carbonation. Tongue tingle is medium low. This definitely foams up in the mouth if you play with it too much. No alcohol bite, whatsoever. Continues down smoothly, while warming the belly.

T- Barley, initial though, however it seems like a very green barley. You definitely get some earthy plant flavor. Not a huge amount, but enough to notice. The citrus seems lightly detectable, with no real finish. Just a hint of alcohol, then it leaves this slight tingle in the back of your throat as you digest the beer (mentally) and type up your review. Yeast seems somewhat there, but is overlaid with the earthy barley.

D- Well, hmmm, not sure where to go with this one. I was anticipating a really good tripel. Something to knock Tripel Karmeleit off from its high pedestal in my review book, but left me somewhat let down. it's a good beer, but doesn't wow you. If you're a fan of Tripels, then this is somewhat on the lower end of them. Not for lack of beer, just lack of depth, and overall finish.

03-03-2009 19:56:35 | More by JoBoTo
HalfFull

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours very clear from a 330ml bottle. A bit fizzy initially, lots of champagne like bubbles. Head settles quickly to a thin film. Clarity is surprising.

Simple malts on the nose couple with Belgian yeast notes. Very little character offered here. Nothing negative in the smell, just not a lot to offer.

Taste is sweet and simple. Flatness of the nose carries into the flavor. This bottle may have been past its prime but I didn't make note of a date on the bottle. Reminds me a bit if Duvel though not as rich, tastes very much like a lager due in part to the low carbonation, in part due to ??. Decent feel though a bit thin overall and with a light fizzy finish just vaguely reminiscent of a Triple. Good drinkability but little character, too mild.

06-29-2009 03:12:31 | More by HalfFull
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.29/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the corked, caged bottle conditioned 750 ml. bottle. I observed no expiration or bottling date. Sampled on September 27, 2013.

The pour is a milky pale yellow with a white fizzy head that has some stability but does not hang around real long.

Aroma of Belgian toasted malts, Belgian sugars, a little citrus, and someone's cellar. It has a musky scent to it too.

Light to medium body.

Upfront biscuit malts in the taste but also a rather off-putting musky cellar-like quality that cannot be properly defined. I didn't dislike it but there are better Abbey Tripel's out there.

09-28-2013 01:48:20 | More by puboflyons
cokes

Wisconsin

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

Clear and golden below a modest snowy cap.
Nose features cane sugar, pears, apple skins and mango. Joined by a doughy, musty yeast, and tracers of boozy heat.
Dryish pils malt base. Crackers than fatten to bread as it warms. But the onrushing carbonation keeps this from establishing too much girth, and makes this seem prickly and parched throughout. Tropical fruit is the marquee here (Must be a small venue). Pear juice, and star fruit, and plantains. Bits of tart apple, though they are quickly swept away. Spicy via white pepper and clove and coriander. Yeast is belittled. General mustiness is found on the periphery, but the CO2 levels brush it aside hastily. The floral and grassy (Saaz?) hop surge at the end is nice, but once again, the bubbles interfere. Some touches of white rum heat are politely interwoven. Strength, on the whole, is difficult to assess. Masked again by the gas, perhaps?
If you haven't noticed, I have some issues with the over-charged nature. I love a nice, spritzy tripel. But not when the scraping fizziness tosses the intricacies out to sea.
Much is lost here, and never recovered.

Damn, I want to like this so much. I want to wait until it settles into what it is destined to be, then pounce all over it, and love it.

I'm left with blue balls. I keep calling, and nothing happens, but it just continues to lead me along. But in reality...there's no hope. No chance of gratification.

I'm deflated, but I'm not mad. It happens. It was sorta fun while it lasted. I just envisioned more...and we were almost there. It can still come around. We just need to try harder. Really...things aren't so bad.
We can work it out. I'm not willing to throw this all away just yet.

(to myself) "Cokes...hang the fucking phone up and move on."

So be it.

In retrospect,
It seems- underneath it all- an easy-going, templatic tripel. Shy yet affable. But I just can't deal with the carbonated baggage. And thus, I can finally recognize it as washed-out, flavor-needy and vacant. And, really, not worth my time or expense.

Fortunately, for me, the relationship only lasted an hour or so. I've had this sort of thing linger for years.

05-05-2004 08:04:15 | More by cokes
4000qtrap

Missouri

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Source/Serving: 11.2 oz/ bottle, no expiration date

Smell: Delicious juicy fruitiness that has peach overtones with bright toffee and caramel notes. Not very spicy and yeastiness only emerges as it warms though it also gets quite musty. No cidery flavor.

Taste: Quite sweet with pear and some slightly sour apple flavor. Has a pleasant graininess that distinguishes it from many of the other triple's I've tried. A pinch of bitterness is there, but it seems to be driven by the fairly high level of carbonation. There is also an interesting flavor that reminiscent of ripe fruit syrup but not quite....has a diacetyl edge or something - like ripe fruit butterscotch with overtones of mustiness. As it warms alcohol becomes noticeable but it works in the flavor profile. Finish has notes of peaches and pears, a little caramel and is quite sweet. Doesn't linger.

02-22-2010 05:05:49 | More by 4000qtrap
kpantz

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Executive Summary: The bottle says this is "highly recommended for gourmet taste." While not quite Arrogant Bastard, it's pretty haughty. Thought that was worth noting. The beer itself? It's not bad - I enjoyed it - it's just not a standout.

Appearance: Pours a fairly fizzy straw golden color into my tulip. Bubbles in the head are somewhat larger than that to which I'm accustomed. Head itself is pretty robust and is a shade off of white.

Smell: Typical tripel here...pilsener malts, banana/clove notes from the yeast. Some spiciness here as well.

Taste: More alcohol in on the palate than I've seen in many tripels - it usually plays more of a supporting role. Definitely spicy, too. Initial malt flavor is subdued; instead, you get the last fleeting moments of sweetness, followed quickly by the Styrian Golding-like hops and that noticeable alcohol. The aforementioned spiciness lingers in your throat as well.

Mouthfeel: A little too much carbonation for me, but I recognize Belgians - Tripels especially - can be a little juiced up on this aspect. The hyperbubble also serves to jack up the perceived spiciness as well.

Drinkability: It's a pretty accessible tripel (regardless of what the label says). It's got enough nice flavors to keep me interested long enough to finish the bottle, but I wouldn't make a session out of it, even if I were going to stay in the style.

04-08-2007 01:14:34 | More by kpantz
marc77

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Ashen golden in hue with a slight murk. Covered by a slowly ebbing sea foam like porcelain white head. Loose, frothy trails remain. The aroma is comprised of a dominant doughy pilsner malt and yeast must combination. Understated clove phenol and an impression of lightly tart, candi sugar sprinkled lemons are secondary. Tame, pleasantly clean aromawise. Grainy, bread crust sweetness upfront in flavor quickly constricts, becoming briefly powdery and confectioners sugar like. A transiently drying contrast provided by mild green apple and alcohol derived, unsweetened black licorice arises mid palate. Fleeting sweetness is nearly completely tapered late by lagging hop bitterness and a slightly chalky, dry cracker like suggestion. Well attenuated and a touch thin in mouthfeel, but consequently portentously crisp and light on the palate. Finishes nearly bone dry, with a fading extension of herbal phenols and faint hard cider tartness. A clean, balanced tripel, with functional, but not outstanding overall character. Perhaps overly soft esterwise. Although only a couple notches above mediocre as a whole, it retains ominous drinkability. Tasty.

07-07-2003 18:15:27 | More by marc77
wesbrownyeah

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

St. Feuillien Triple

A- Pours a yellow-orange fluid with massive white head that very slowly falls around the rim leaving heavy foamy lacing on side of glass.
Obvious Carbonation thoughout beer.

S- Smell is of white wine, sweet sugar alcohol esters, and white bread.

T-M- Quite smooth flavor with a yeasty start. Flavors consist of heavily bland yeast and wheat and alcohol esters. Thick bready feel on the tongue with mild sting for the alcohol bite.

D- Not the best but worth tring. This beer has the mainstream taste and feel of a triple but lacks the flavors to make it a real winner.

09-10-2009 21:34:20 | More by wesbrownyeah
jwhawkins81

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Aroma - Belgian spice that I usually associate with Tripels so that's good.

Appearance - Clear yellow with a huge white head.

Taste - Pretty normal here too. A light spice with a solid sweet backbone but not too much complexity.

Notes - No - 10853 on the cork. Nothing really worth going out of your way for. Just a run of the mill tripel.

04-17-2010 18:57:41 | More by jwhawkins81