St. Feuillien Triple - Brasserie St. Feuillien

St. Feuillien TripleSt. Feuillien Triple

Brasserie St. Feuillien visit their website

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-07-2002)

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

2.17/5  rDev -45.2%

Cloudy overly odd looking beer....a lot is going on here that the snobs of yeast aren't for ad me ok with big yeast is kind unimpressed. Head didn't work as well for me as others claim.

The nose is apples, pears, and spices...a lot of them. A bit of nice hops and flavor.

The body is over carbonated!!! But nothing new. Thick body but doesn't feel creamy as I like

A touch too hot...maybe way hot by some views.

I don't dislike this one either. This brewer seems to not screw up the styles or make them overly boring but they seems to miss things.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Blond cloudy with little foam that disappears quickly, smells a lot like european hops. Quite carbonated and I think citrus. Strong taste of hops, but still balanced. The alcohol is not too overwhelming in the mouth. Plain beer with few interesting notes: not bad, but I expected a lot more.

2.7/5  rDev -31.8%

POP! went the cork on this bad boy – umm, can’t wait for the tripel. Bright golden yellow, smallish white head - sticky laces. But wait, aroma is somewhat weak, just some thin malts and floral appear. Oh no, what a subdued tasting – just hints of sweet malt instead of a rich & malty brew - no fruit either. Just a thin, over carbed soda pop. Crap, this was really disappointing – no wonder it’s retired.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Bought the St. Feuillien gift pack; came with the Blonde, Brune, and Triple.. as well as a pretty nice chalice.

Appearance: Poured this tripel into my newly acquired St. Feuillien chalice and observed it's pale amber, perhaps dull, chill hazed yellowish color and compact white head.

Smell: there's some hop spice, that yeasty Belgian bottle conditioned aroma, and maybe a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Here's where it loses me; there's an unpleasant flavor that lingers at the very back of the tongue.. it's like a harsh, dry, phenolic taste that really brings this beer down. And the yeast doesn't really "pop" with pleasant esters like some of the better examples of this style.

Mouthfeel: the mouthfeel is what is to be expected; medium bodied, adequate carbonation.

Overall: Sorry, but this one doesn't really do it for me, and I usually always enjoy the tripel style. If you see this one on the shelves, I would suggest passing it over for La Fin Du Monde or Westmalle Tripel.

2.85/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I was exited to try this beer, I saw it was high in the charts, but I am disappointed.

This beer pours a yellow orange beer with a crude head and some sticky foam.

Smell was ripe green apples, with some cork and a bit solvent.

Taste was corky and dry, almost like chewing a cork. Lots of solvent and banana, alcoholic. Body was pretty full at the beginning. After I got used to the solvent, I found this beer slightly oxidized and cardboard. I don't think I like this beer, it is too sharp and appears to be out of balance, over the top. Too bad.

A - A good amount of head that dissipated quickly leaving a hefty lacing down the sides of the glass. The beer itself is a clear rich golden brew.

S - Light malt and champagne grapes. Not a lot going on here, but it isn't unpleasant.

T - A faint hay flavor with a touch of dry maltiness and champagne grapes. Aftertaste is a faint bitterness with a bit of grassy hops and faint spicy white pepper.

M - Smooth, very thin, pretty refreshing.

D - Good, a bit too mild as I prefer a pronounced tripel.

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

11.2 oz. bottle into a wine glass. No freshness or bottling date, but I know I bought this at least two years ago, and I'm holding this holds up.

Appearance: Golden yellow with little haze, but hardly any carbonation and no lacing. Too cold? Not sure what's going on, but doesn't look like a Tripel to me.

Smell: I get candi sugar, mild bananas, mild cream, and some yeast, but really nothing else. It's balanced yes, but if someone told me this was a domestic I would've believed them.

Taste: Again, balanced, with the candi sugar and mild banana and fruit flavors, with a sweet finish and not much mildness, which can become a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel: A bit too cloying without enough carbonation, making harder to get more of the flavors than I'd anticipated.

Drinkability: I suppose I should say that when I cracked open the bottle -- and later checked the cap after I'd consumed it -- there was an odd brown color, that of which I've never seen. Could that be oxidation? I'm not sure, but I know I wouldn't try this again. The bottle didn't explode or anything, and the taste wasn't peculiarly out of context or anything, but I have a feeling something may have happened to it as far as oxidation, but I'm not sure...

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Nose is slightly fruity, slightly green grapes, alcohol as well. Malty body, but also with grain alcohol, which is unfortunately still very present.

What is even stranger than this brewery's products are usually excellent compromise. Is detected here and there a friendly and hops on one side lemon (vitamin C probably) but it is unfortunately too little digestible for a standard.

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer on tap at The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL with (among others) my two brothers-in-law Steven and Mat August 21st, 2010. Mat lives within minutes of this place and we enjoy visiting there when I am in town. Poured into a Bavarian Lodge logo'd tulip glass.

A Hazy yellow body under a generous creamy head. At least a good look for a beer of my favorite style. 4.0

S Fruitty sweet malt and heat of alcohol. This has a lot of promise as, again, it is my favorite style. 4.5

T I was looking forward to some candi sugar sweetness and heat of alcohol in the taste but what I got was the heat from the alcohol but then some bitterness mixed in which I presume is from the Belgian yeast but could be from some hops (?). I am disappointed in this taste after what was a very promising smell. 2.5

M On the thin side vs. most other triples that I have had but it is within style limits I suppose. 2.5

D Only fair. This represents my favorite style but, compared to so many other triples (Weyerbacher Merry Monks Ale, Allagash Curieux, Unibroue La Fin du Monde come immediately to mind) are much easier for me to get and are better. 3.0

St. Feuillien Triple from Brasserie St. Feuillien