David - Tree House Brewing Company

No picture.

Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Guzzle_McBrew on 04-17-2014

East Coast meets the Midwest! Our friends from Iowa’s “Toppling Goliath Brewing Company” embarked on a twenty hour, 1,200 mile journey across the eastern United States to collaborate with us on this super hop-saturated Double IPA. We merged a grist of Pale and Caramel malts with a very liberal dose of Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops to produce a soft but extremely potent creation. Your nose will be greeted with aromas of bright citrus and tropical fruits before a sip unlocks a flavor much like biting into a ripe juicy orange. A complex bounty of hoppy/fruity flavors continue as a clean citrus bitterness balances things out propelled by tight carbonation and a luxurious mouthfeel. We find “David” to be absolutely delightful. . . the product of our respective brewer’s dedication to an uncompromising, delicious product. David is fleeting and ephemeral, so enjoy him fresh with a friend and forget about life for a while.
to view more.
Ratings: 92 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Huuuuge thanks to Nate, and Matt for surprising me with this gem! Normally not a big fan of collabs, but I think this will be an exception to that.

Wow, surprisingly pours a nice creamy thick 1 finger head that fades at a med pace, some bubbles mixed in with the creamy thick head, some soapy spotty lacing left on the sides, typical Tree House hazy look with a nectar amber orange color.

Nose pops quite nicely, lots of nice tropical fruits and some citrus, mango out front, with some pineapple, little orange rind and pith, with a bit of a fluffy malt base. As it warms some tangerine and clementines come through, nice citrus and tropical fruit mostly.

Taste is just pure fruit juice, citrus and tropical again, a nice pineapple flavor out first, followed by more mango and papaya, juicy tangerine, some orange flesh and mild rind bitterness, touch of pith as well. Under that is a nice fluffy mildly sweet malt, actually starts to get abit on the sweet side as it goes, and a hint of booze warmth barely detectable. A bit of pink grapefruit juice comes through too with it's own interesting bitterness, a little pith and rind bitterness, and the hops even turn a bit floral like an orange blossom. So juicy and fresh fruit flavorful. Finish is a bit more bitter as it dries finally, but still a bit on the sweet side, hint of booze flashes through the waves of tropical citrus fruits, more pineapple, grapefruit, papaya, and juicy overripe oranges all wash over. Long lingering ruby red grapefruit.

Mouth is med bod, a bit soft and creamy, lush too, with nice carb for a week old growler.

Overall fantastic! This is another big winner from Tree house, and an interesting take with help from Toppling Goliath who also make great beers. The sweetness seems a bit more than most Tree HOuse beers, and the addition of the Mosaic is different but interesting. Still has that typical Tree House deliciousness and great IPA-ness. I've been craving for a nice tropical citrus IPA for a while now since I haven't been able to get out to Tree House lately, and this really filed that spot.

4.66/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured out into a tree house tulip. One finger of a tight, bright white head. The color is a hazy, tangerine sunset. It's beautiful. Smells like orange, pineapple juice. Il The smell could be a little more pronounced. Tastes of clean, biscuit malt, fresh juicy hops, lots of citrus without being too bitter. Basically no pine in this. It's probably the most balanced beer I've ever had. Bitterness is on the lower side. Outstanding.

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First trip to the new TH location. Arrived at 10:20 for the 11 o'clock release... 53 people ahead of me. I love to see this solid brewery with great people getting the love it deserves.

A - This beer that they named after me looks magnificant. An off orangey color with a nice white head.

S - An explosion of Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic hops hit my nostrils. Some nice grapefruit and mango as well.

T - Toppling Goliath and Tree House brewed this one... so I figured it'd be delicious... and IT WAS. Hoppy fruity goodness with a small yet balancing malt backbone. Balanced like pale ale balanced? No. Balanced like a Hop Bomb... which is my favorite.

M - Juicy bitterness dancing all over my tongue. Couldn't detect the alcohol at all. Smoooth as butter and so crisp.

O - I'm so glad Tree house is only 45 minutes away. The Toppling Goliath brewer, Mike, is also one of the coolest brewers I've met. I knew these guys working together would produce something magical and they did.

4.82/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I always said that my first review on a beer would be special and this is the perfect occasion to do one.

A- A Beautiful hazy dark orange. Its a beautiful thing if you put it next to the sun light.

S- Ahhhh Papaya, strong melon scent,mango,Tangerine..Just great juicy tropical smell.

T- Ohh man! Strong tropical fruit taste. Definitive a HUGE taste of Melon and Orange with pineapple,mango,and papaya on the back seat. No strong pine presence and not that bitter just juicy which is perfect for a beer like this.

M-I feel like in the Caribbean with a beer as juicy as this masterpiece. So mellow and that 8% its probably laughing his ass out because I can't find it until I got up.

O- A world class collabo between Tree house and Toppling Goliath. For a Hop Head its not the ideal beer, But personally as a hop head myself, this beer works.

4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

Waited as long as I could for this one. Real fun talk with Nate about this beer, poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a very nice hazy golden hue with dark orange originating from the center with a very nice two finger creamy, sudsy head that fades slowly to leave spotty lacing and a light creamy blanket. The colour is like a sunset...awesome.

S - Aromas are super super fresh hops. Big, bold orange flesh, pineapples, mango, sweet malts. Super, super juicy. Dank, pungent hops, loads of Mosaic. Candied orange peels and mango slices.

T - Taste is crazy. Definitely agree with Nate that this is basically a glass of orange juice. Loads of tangerine and grapefruit, mango, pineapple, sweet candi malts work great with how juicy these hops are. Next to no bitterness and only a mere flash of alcohol. No pine presence Just delicious.

M - Mouthfeel is awesome, it drinks like a glass of tropical fruit juice and it's 8%? Wow.

O - Overall This beer was awesome. Wonderful color and light sticky side lacing, incredibly tasty and easy drinking. The flavour profile is awesome, though I personally like more bitterness with my beer (in its defense this lower bitterness was what they were going for), the mouthfeel on this though was just awesome. Very well crafted and yeah, this beer is an anomaly as it shows that collaborations can actually not only work out but be great (considering that most collaborations are, to be polite, absolutely underwhelming). This may be my favourite collaboration to date.

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%

My first actual trip to Tree House, let's see if this collaboration between two of some of my favorite breweries is as good as it should be.

A-David pours beautifully into my new Tree House snifter. It's a hazy, tarnished orange but the body glows from the core. A thin, white head pops off to a film of foam with a cluster patch of bubble in the middle. The crown does leave lots of webby lacing.

S-Pungent hop juice. Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic are the hops used in David and all three shine collectively and independently. A stunning amount of grapefruit flesh. Mango and melon and peach. Some marijuana and moss. A bit of sweet, candied citrus. Pungent is the perfect word for the nose.

T-First sip literally tastes like tangerine and grapefruit juice blended. The second sip brings to light the other hop-driven flavors. Nectarines, peaches and mango. Phenomenally concentrated in its hoppiness. It also has some herbal hoppy qualities and a small hint of green onion. A sprinkle of caramel and pale malt. Finishes bitter and pure.

M-Resinous, juicy, ripe, reasonably bitter. I am plowing through my 750ml growler with hedonistic ease. No alcohol. So much flavor, so much feel. Soft carbonation.

O-Pure hop-broth. I don't know if any beer has ever delivered so much distinctive citrus juice flavor to my sensors. This was well worth the near two hour trip to the brewery. Toppling Goliath and Tree House are two of the uppermost elite breweries anywhere. This beer is evidence of my previous statement.

to view more.