Follow our progress ...

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 427 | Ratings: 2,849
4.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was there when they released the Jjjuliusss for the first time in cans. It was also my first time to TH as well. to be able drink the regular Julius and the Jjjuliusss I suspect might have been a rare "double". All in all I liked the J a little better than the Jjj. Not enough to write home about because when both were that good it's like splitting hairs. Wonderful taste, mouth feel and look when I poured into a Tree House glass. Loved the place and will, hopefully get back there.

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look, this beer is legendary after only a few years. There's no doubt that it's truly unique. I don't think any other beer tastes quite like it. I had my first one back in August of 2015, and while it was very good at the time, I think I let the hype around it build it up to be something that frankly, no beer can be.

In the (almost) year since my first Julius I fought long and hard to make a trip to Treehouse for more. In the interim friends brought me Haze, Doppleganger, and Alter Ego, all of which I liked very much. The taste of Julius faded from my memory but the idea of Julius just grew bigger and bigger in my mind.

Last weekend I finally had the chance to grab a growler of Julius from Treehouse. The trip was a mixed experience. Lines were long, parking attendants were grumpy, servers were overwhelmed, but it was a beautiful day so standing in line a bit didn't matter. At last, there it was. Approaching the first pour from my growler with all the anticipation of a sixteen-year-old boy with his girlfriend at his house and his parents out for the first time, I was . . . underwhelmed. Sure it's good. But it doesn't quite taste like beer should taste to me. When people describe this beer as tasting like orange juice they are not exaggerating. We always read that this or that beer smells like mango or peach, grass or brine . . . whatever. And sure we can imagine some of that in those brews. But really, Julius does taste and feel a lot like orange juice. I can imagine Nate Lanier, original brewer of Julius, rubbing his hands together and laughing like a mad scientist as he realizes that he has concocted the perfect potion. It's beer, but wait, it tastes like juice.

For this alone you have to try it. Nothing else comes close to the actual flavor and texture of Julius. It is one of a kind. I do find it very, very sweet though. Perhaps my palate has changed in the months since I first tasted it but there are several IPAs and double IPAs that I like more.

For it's uniqueness I would give it a 10/10. And kind of like the way that everyone should really try the uni with the quail egg on top the first time they eat sushi, just because . . . I think everyone who likes beer should try Julius. But for overall taste and drinkability, it's not something I would reach for regularly or even go out of my way for again.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very cloudy and rich looking. The color is whitish, dirty gold. Moderate head-- good streaking lace on the glass.

Very strong grapefruit rind aroma. A touch of fruitiness and evergreen. Powerful.

It looks thicker than the mouthfeel suggests. Good carbonation with an above average richness. Strong, biting citrus bitters in the swallow. Very little malt start--this is hop forward beer in every way. Loooong aftertaste. It doesn't fit into the extreme category, but the alcohol is warming and subtly present. It would be a "go back to" easily but may not crack my top ten.

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just made my first trip to Treehouse today. Wednesday is can day and the line moved pretty fast I might say. Took about 25 minus and I was on my way home with 5 Pint cans of Julius and 5 pint cans of doppelgänger.

L - Poured into Weizen (hey it's what I got lol). Dark burnt orange color very solid, no transparency whatsoever

S - Dank, tropical, orange, pineapple, juice.

T - citrus explosion so damn good

F - smooth as a babies bottom (I can say that I'm a new Dad)

Overall one of the best beers I've had. Worth the drive. Can't wait to try doppelgänger tomorrow.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can 6/7/16 "The juice turns five"

Chugga-chugga-chugga, CHOO-CHOO! Hype train is coming through. This has been at the top of my desired attainable beers list for a while, and I finally got it today. There isn't anything that I can say about this that hasn't been repeated a thousand times in previous reviews, but I DID want to comment on just how drinkable this is. It's seriously like a citrus hop juice. Very smooth and not in any way harsh on the palate. Just overall awesome!

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Traded for a can back in April. To this day, still the best IPA I have ever had. Perfectly fruity characters with just the right amount of IPA mixed in. Could never have too much.

Beautiful orange color. Insanely juicy flavors, especially orange and mango. This beer is everything it's cracked up to be, just an insane IPA. As a homebrewer, I have no clue how they managed this. Note: drank one several weeks later after a road trip, it wasn't close to the same. Get it fresh, drink it fresh!

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Riding in with much acclaim, the bright and juicy American standard-strength IPA is fabled to boast the perfect medley of orange, mango and passionfruit character from hops alone more so than any thus far. Regardless of any place on a totem pole, excellence is expected.

And the excellence in Julius is realized starting with a creamy peach and golden blend of colors and airy textures. The beer's muddy appearance only works to make it more appetizing. Slow separation of ale to froth suggests a viscous character that carries over to a creamy, tangy, sweet and fruity taste just after a grassy, citrusy, herbal and piney scent starts the show.

Less grassy and herbal in taste, the flavors that blossom on the middle palate are abundant with all-things-orange. Tangerine, in all its tangy, fructose-sweet, vibrant glory springs to life with a zesty support of red grapefruit, lemon and lime. Tantalizing tropical fruits join the taste with pineapple and kiwi nuances. Smooth in the beer's fleeting taste, a sense of bitter sherbet with citrus rinds apply their final and lasting impressions.

Creamy and dry, the taste starts fullish and semi-dry, but trailing bitter, resinous and dry, the soft sappiness of freshly shaven pine links up with fragrant citrus peel for an evaporative texture and a nearly teeth-churning creamy tartness that aligns with sherbet desserts- if only those came in a high bitter version with near seven-percent alcohol to boot.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Have to thank a friend of mine for the hook up. I'll keep it simple Phenomenal beer ! Yes go way out of your way to get it. Looks like orange juice, nose is extremely fruity and taste is the same. Damn near flawless.

I just happened to be near Tree House when Julius was available in cans! I picked up 6 cans and tried one as soon as I got home. The beer lived up to it's reputation! Incredible taste and aroma!

A: Hazey and turbid just the way I like them.
S: Tropical notes with Orange, Pineapple and mango on the forefront.
T: Absolutely phenomenal, everything Id want an IPA to taste like, absolute fruit bomb with a slight bitterness on the end.
M:Nice and Creamy
O: Easily one of the best IPA's being produced right now anywhere,and a personally favorite of mine.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2.5 fingers of fine, white head with pitted, rolling surface. Opaque, pulpy tangerine body.

Sharp citrus flesh and ripe mango. A touch of underlying grass.

Follows the nose. Intense, but well balanced ripe, tropical fruit - mango, pineapple, and papaya. Underlying citrus flesh, specifically orange, and some citrus pith for bitterness. Finish is more ripe fruit and citrus pith. Tons of depth, but still well-balanced.

Full-bodied. Medium carbonation. Soft. Slightly sweet and sticky finish.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

This is the best IPA on the planet in my opinion. Julius is a hazy tangerine color with an incredible aroma and an off white finger head that lingers. Taste follows the nose, a tropical bomb of mango, tangerine, with absolute perfect balance. This beer is crushable and a true delight. .

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Big, juicy, tropical and incredibly complex. Nice three-way balance between malt, hops and citriuos taste. This beer is absolutely superb. The visuals are unspectacular but typical of this style and are quickly overlooked once the taste explosion starts.

Have to admit it was worth the 1.25 hour ride, 45 minute wait in line and dealing with pretentious beer attendants to get 10 cans but I will be back in line soon. I thought it was hilarious when we were in line and one of the treehouse constables came out to warn us that they were on the lookout for folks that were "sneaking" back in line for more beer....10 more cans....you can't make this s up....I pray that these guys don't screw this up when they move to the new brewery.

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy bright yellow orange in color with one inch head. Taste is big jumping citrus. Peach, mango, and nge jump out. Light malty presence to balance the beer out. Super tasty, hoppy, but not super bitter. Nice when a beer lives up to the hype. I will make a journey to get this one again.

4.16/5  rDev -10.2%

100% opaque, Julius looks like peach juice with a large bubbly white spongy head that settles down to a relatively thick, creamy top layer leaving behind a good amount of wavy lace.

Aromas of vanilla orange cream with some spicy pine, and a little candy, like Pez. There is a hint of cannabic dankness, but it manages to deliver a ton of fresh hops without stepping too heavily into that territory.

Flavors of bright citrus awaken the senses with some refreshing acidity. Julius manages to kick the tropical and fruity flavors up a notch over what the nose telegraphs, and more than most any other IPA that tries to mimic it, without being cloying, overboard or artificially juicy. Flavors of orange mango, marmalade abound with young, green pine, and spicy lemon lime.

Julius finishes dry, bittersweet, with a touch of cracker, and a frothy, creamy mouthfeel.

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a growler with a friend, one day old. First few sips were near perfect, but by the time i got to my second pint a lot of the initial flavors were muted. I know this can happen with any beer, but typically doesn't happen to me with Tree House. Great for one, but not as session-able as I was hoping.

Overall, this is unquestionably a very good beer. Next time I will be seeking out cans, so I can have one at a time instead of having to rush through an open growler.

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

***3 weeks and 2 days old***
L: Looks like OJ with pulp un-shaken. Thick orange body, very cloudy body and lighter on top. But the head fades very fast.
S: Hard to find citrus notes, but I get orange anyway.
T: Nice citrus but nothing over the top. Very good, but not crazy good as expected.
F: Smooth and very drinkable.

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

The best American IPA I have ever had. The aroma is so damn tropical, you can smell it from across the room. The mouthfeel is so silky and smooth and enjoyable. Drink it if you can.

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy golden; plenty of head.
S: Cheese and rice...you can smell the citrus and hops feet away from the glass...more fruit than you can shake yer stick at. Plenty of tropical, stone and citrus fruit. Nice malt in the nose too.
T: Maltier and bigger than expected, but the malt recedes quickly to tons of bright and citrusy hops with a touch of resin on the back end. Big bold flavor with a touch of ethanol.
M: Thicker than expected; coats the mouth thoroughly and doesn't let go.
O: Very delicious; simultaneously crushable and sip-able at the same time depending on your mood. A great beer; glad to finally try it. Thanks Dave!

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - nice orange amber hazy color with a big white fluffy head that sticks and leaves great lacing
S- huge orange, peach, papaya, tangerine, melon, watermelon, honeydew, pithy ripe fruits
T- again big pithy ripe orange, peach, papaya, tangerine, melon, honeydew, watermelon, passion fruit
M- a little heavier than your typical iPa, it feels thicker, like drinking orange juice with the pulp, I can understand why some people would call this "pillowy", alcohol is covered, aftertaste is orange rind
O- world class for sure, I wouldn't call it perfect though, the over pulpy orange juice beer thing honestly gets old after a bit, it leaves me wanting something more dank, or a big dark roasty stout or vanilla/oak loaded bba beer, but that's just me I guess

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank a two day old can obtained in person at TH Brewery

This beer lives up to all the hype surrounding it. From the fruit filled aroma to the hazy orange color it pours it's hard to find something that isn't spot on. Tree House Brewery is cranking out some of the best beers anywhere and this just might be their best one. Whatever you have to endure to get your hands on one will be well worth the trouble.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Top notch beer. Delicious tastes of mango and citrus/grapefruit. Very drinkable IPA- low bitterness. Looks golden orange, similar to orange juice. To me it lives up to the hype.

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a pillowy soft lacy head, Amber in color, grapefruit on the nose, soft mouth feel, I can taste grapefruit mango with hint of orange fruity lingering aftertaste! At times but not always makes my mouth water like no beer ever has!!! Love this beer my obsession right now can't get enough!!!

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is just fantastic as I have had it many times.

Canned 4/12/16 and drank on 5/3/16. I echo what a lot of people seem to say about Julius FROM A CAN as it is best drank right before 3 weeks. If you get it in a growler, please god drink it fast as it doesn't last as long.

Looks like the lighter yellow/orange color on the can in a glass. Smell is just incredible when it is 3 weeks out like it literally smells like a ripe tangerine. Mouth feel is just a tad watery compared to other DIPAs and other unique beers they offer. Taste is just ... it is what I love about Tree House. It's all about that creamy mouth feel as no other brewery does it quite like TH. Also please people, let this beer warm up for 30 minutes outside the fridge ... it opens it up dramatically and makes the experience that much better.

Overall. I'm spoiled. I get to drive 1 hour to TH when I want thanks to a flexible work schedule and get these when I feel like it. This beer should be on your bucket list and it is worth it to travel to TH at least once. Great people and great beer.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company