Follow our progress ...

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 426 | Ratings: 2,845
Reviews by Davihaw:
4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml growler filled 8/1/2014, poured into a Lawson's snifter 8/10/2014.

A- Hazy deep orange body, one finger white head with the right amount of retention and rings of lacing. Great lookin' beer.

S- Juicy citrus, grapefruit and sweet bready pale malt. I don't know how this smells so good, but it does. Again this is really dang juicy. I understand where the name comes from now.

F- Somehow, this beer tastes better than it smells. Citrus, oranges, grapefruits, mango, passion fruit, bread and caramel with more oranges and a slightly grassy citrus finish. Really juicy but balanced. Fantastic stuff.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a nice peppy carbonation. Phenomenal and very drinkable. Juicy, citrus zesty finish that is bitter but just the right amount of bitter grassiness to keep it interesting without interfering with drinkability.

O- Fantastic IPA. This one is worth its weight in gold... and more. Probably the most enjoyable single IPA I've had the chance to drink. I will have to obtain more of these on a regular basis!

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

3.92/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright. The IPA at the top of the heap for the moment. So stoked to be able to try this. After several cans, I think I'm ready to sketch some thoughts.

Rather than go through the parts, I'll start with the sum: Julius is fruity as hell. But, to my palate, there's just not enough depth of hop flavor, nor balancing bitterness. It suffers under the weight of its richly decadent body, fruity esters combining with sweet malt to make this more like sweetened hop cake than bracing, refreshing IPA. I say all this with some reserve. Julius is not a bad beer in the least. And my guess is that this is exactly the sort of beer the brewers set out to create, so mission accomplished there. For me, though, it just doesn't work as well as so many other beloved IPAs.

Now, as to the parts themselves, Julius is a deep, dark orange in the glass, darn near opaque. Under artificial lighting, it's not especially attractive. It has a nice foamy head to start, though retention isn't great (unlike its intrastate rivals, Trillium, whose brews tend to have head for days). The nose is the strong suit, at least at the start, offering a nice blast of peachy fruitiness, with perhaps some citric notes thrown in too. Unfortunately, once all those dry hop volatiles evaporate, J. gets a bit oversaturatedly fruity and, rather surprisingly, malt forward. Palate is heavy, dense even, and drinkability is not especially high. There's some backing bitterness in there, but it's restrained, letting the fruity esters and hops dominate. In the end, Julius is befitting of its name, reminding me of some tropical-flavored iteration of an Orange Julius, thick, fruity, rich.

So cool to try this brew, which in some ways typifies the NEIPA. For me, I'd gladly sacrifice some of that oversaturated fruitiness for more drinkability and more depth/acuity of flavor. But, for those in the mood for some fruity hop excess, this'll do the trick.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Riding in with much acclaim, the bright and juicy American standard-strength IPA is fabled to boast the perfect medley of orange, mango and passionfruit character from hops alone more so than any thus far. Regardless of any place on a totem pole, excellence is expected.

And the excellence in Julius is realized starting with a creamy peach and golden blend of colors and airy textures. The beer's muddy appearance only works to make it more appetizing. Slow separation of ale to froth suggests a viscous character that carries over to a creamy, tangy, sweet and fruity taste just after a grassy, citrusy, herbal and piney scent starts the show.

Less grassy and herbal in taste, the flavors that blossom on the middle palate are abundant with all-things-orange. Tangerine, in all its tangy, fructose-sweet, vibrant glory springs to life with a zesty support of red grapefruit, lemon and lime. Tantalizing tropical fruits join the taste with pineapple and kiwi nuances. Smooth in the beer's fleeting taste, a sense of bitter sherbet with citrus rinds apply their final and lasting impressions.

Creamy and dry, the taste starts fullish and semi-dry, but trailing bitter, resinous and dry, the soft sappiness of freshly shaven pine links up with fragrant citrus peel for an evaporative texture and a nearly teeth-churning creamy tartness that aligns with sherbet desserts- if only those came in a high bitter version with near seven-percent alcohol to boot.

4.44/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

16oz can, sample from the brewery.

Pours an orangey (completely hazed over) hued, can was acquired fresh from the brewery and was in the beer fridge for 10 days. This hazed look is not to be compared with "milkshake" beers IMO though fresh from the brewery or cans that are decanted all of the way will make it look even more hazed. A lot of the haze is chillhaze though who wants to drinking this beer warm? Head retention is great. Fresh juicy orange zest & tropical fruit nose, the aroma is nothing short of epic. Smooth and very crisp, lush semi-creamy medium body. Hop bitterness is a piney, hop flavor is juicy an all with suggestions of guava, ripe honeydew, dragonfruit, & cumquats.

Way too much fun quaffing this back ... everyone should hunt this beer down.

3.72/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I honestly.... was let down by this beer.

I actually like this style of IPA. Love the hazy, unfiltered, low carb, mega dry-hopped IPA... but for some reason I was very put off by the "old" malt tasting.... flavor... of this beer. It tasted like an IPA that has been sitting around for about 2 months.

It lacked flavor and very muted nose as well. Date on the can was 1-21-2016 (so about... 11 days old)

This isn't a bad beer at all, but to call it world class? In my books - no.

easily one of the top IPA's I have ever had, that includes Pliny the Elder and HT - South Carolina

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%

Thank you, Patrick. Canned 11/05.

Pouring a hazy orange with a dense dirty white head with very good retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose is a giant blend of tropical fruit with mango, papaya, passionfruit , cooked oranges, fleshy, pulpy and delicious. Doughy malt is present. The palate opens with a riot of hop flavor, just tons and tons of fruit. Mango, peach, papaya, baked oranges galore with a definite doughy malt character, a little bit like cereal? Not unlike other New England IPAs I've has on this trip east, it's a little messy, lacking in the clean bitterness that ties together all the hop flavors. What bitterness is present is a little minty/ spruce like, interesting but a touch unfocused. Medium in body with a beautiful creamy carbonation, this beer had a long finish, mostly fruity with a little bitterness on the finish. Interestingly, the bitterness does also have a mild astringency, mildly aspirin like. Solid. I'd drink a ton if I could.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Growler courtesy of Cam....oh man, what a great surprise. Thank you buddy!

Rich orange, big fluff, pillows of lace....wow!

Big waves of citrus...orange, tangerine, nectarine...so damn fruity.

Huge notes of citrus here as well, baby aspirin, some caramel and bready malts for firm yet welcomed support, and a light grassy bitterness that keeps things honest.

Sweet and lightly syrupy but modestly carbonated allows this to feel juicy as well.

So much to like here and just a ridiculous amount of fresh hops and citrus twang with enough malt support and gentle bitters to keep everyone playing nicely. Damn Cam...thank you!

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't get me wrong - this is a fantastic IPA bursting with tropical fruit and citrus. However, with the hype behind it, I expected something a bit more. It was outshined by the double dry hopped fort point I had the same night. Drinks a bit thin, but it's very smooth and absurdly crushable.

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass.

Very strong citrus flavor and definitely on the tropical fruit spectrum. Could be just me, but wasn't entirely what I expected. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but wasn't super impressed because, although the flavor was there, I was hoping for a little bit more of the hoppy bite. The citrus flavor was probably a bit too strong for my liking, but that obviously doesn't take away from this as being a finely crafted beer. Will say that I found the Curiosity 15 to be more to my liking.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked this one open tonight, got it on a trade on Sunday. Pours a deep opaque orange with a fluffy white head that sticks around. Smell is super fruit, just pure orange and mango. OK, this is amazing, one of the best beers I've ever had. The mango on the tongue is so potent you could have told me this was juice. Notes of blood orange and pineapple, sweet malt, hint of grassy hop bitterness. The feel is so light and smooth. Drinks like a mango orange smoothie. Overall this beer deserves all the credit it gets.

4.27/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a tallboy can into a Belgian tulip.

Pours cloudy with an orange and peach-colored body. Looks a bit murky. Fizzy white head that turns into a beehive-like wax. 3.5

Bursting with tropical aroma. Tons of pineapple and mango and dank, resinous aroma. That fruit aroma is insane. 4.5

A step below the aroma. The tropical fruit recedes a bit. Still get a nice blend of pineapple and mango and passionfruit but it lacks the pop the nose suggested. There's some earthy and resinous flavor there that reminds me of a fresh hop beer. Floral and bubblegum on the finish. 4.25

Drinks light and lovely. Very smooth and easy to drink. Light bitterness and a resinous, sticky feel. 4.25

3.38/5  rDev -27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer.

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer,
I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. This happened to me while drinking this beer. And the overwhelming citrus notes sure did sting my nose on the way out. But now I'm enlightened. So I have that going for me.

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: You know it's Julius. Cloudy, tangerine color.

S: Bright, citrusy, juicy.

T: Tropical and citrusy. Unfortunately it's almost to the point where it reminds me of Tang.

F: Creamy for an IPA. I would prefer a little more of a bite.

O: I can understand the hype behind this beer with all-natural ingredients producing a lot of flavor. Sometimes enough is enough and subtleties are more appreciated though.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The hype is very real for this one. Was able to trade for 2 cans and while I loved the first can I drank, it wasn't until the second one that I really understood what was so great about this beer. As the brewery says, this is insanely drinkable. It goes down so smooth. Perfect balance between hops and malt with the hops shining in an amazing way. I will be driving to treehouse very soon to grab some of this beer. Top notch all the way.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper consistent with an east coast IPA with light head that quickly dissipates and moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, strong grapefruit, orange with a trace of mango

Taste: Ah, this beer lives up to its world class rating. The balance of a moderate malt body the plays perfectly with the tropical hop flavors and bitterness. The brilliance of this beer lies in this balance. The bitterness lingers a bit but the overall citrus essence remains to the next sip

Feel: The body is surprising light, with crisp smooth finish that begs for another sip

Overall: One of the best American IPAs I have had and an exemplary example of an east coast IPA. Saddened that it is not more readily available, but is a must try for any hop head

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

To be completely upfront on my review:

This was acquired in a trade that was 'completed' around Jan 20, 2015 -- sent USPS. The package 'disappeared' from the tracking info within two weeks. They told the shipper it was gone, undeliverable, discarded.

Well, it showed up on my doorstep on May 19, 2015, box smashed to hell. BUT!! This one, the one I was looking forward to most in the beermail, made it! I didn't expect much, hell...a growler, 4 months old, undoubtedly sitting somewhere not refrigerated for the longest time...but then, I popped the cap after a night's chill in my fridge.

*slight gush* Oh my....there's still carb in this bad boy! Enough for a finger and a half or so of head upon pour. And it smells of fresh melons still!

The flavor was great on it as well, although probably not as sharp as Treehouse intended due to its origins, journey, and age. But it was still delicious! I would love to try this one fresh, now that I've had it in its pitiful, but beautiful, state as it was.

100% impressed even with the one that I got, a beer that I'll be thrilled to try again, especially in a can.

4.37/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 16oz can into a teku glass. Can dated 10-6-15 so exactly 2 weeks old.

A: pours a funky orange color, like murky Tang almost. Decent 1/2" of head and nice sticky lacing.
S: one of the most interesting smelling IPA's I've ever smelled. Lots of fruit, specifically citrus and mango and it is bursting out of the glass. As soon as I popped the can the aroma was evident.
T: not as impressive as the smell. The fruitiness is present but quickly fades and leaves just a slight dry bitterness.
M: mouthfeel was just above average. Carbonation was appropriate but nothing out of the ordinary.
O: glad I got to try it, have another can to do a side by side with Alter Ego. Nowhere near the best IPA out there, not even in the top ten for my tastes. Would drink again if given to me but not gonna try and trade as its value is way over inflated..

4.24/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Derek for the chance to try this beer.

Julius pours a somewhat hazy/cloudy light orange color with good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, I get considerable orange citrus, with a hint of underlying gingersnap and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this well balanced, not particularly hoppy IPA. There is a considerable amount of tropical fruit as well, but the sweetness is nicely buoyed and balanced by the hops in this easy to enjoy and appreciate IPA. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability is terrific.

A very nice IPA, but as with Masala Mama some years ago, I'm a bit puzzled by the lofty review scores I see on BA. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but a score of 100? Really? That makes no sense to me. Whatever, this is still a very fine, well crafted IPA from Tree House.

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a week old can into a teku:

Appearance: thick, turbid orange color, with a pillowy white head. Pretty much looks exactly like orange juice, with a nice fluffy white head on top.

Aroma: the second you open the can, tropical aroma pours out. Loads of refined citrus aroma, with oranges, grapefruit, and tons of mango. Not much malt evident at all, it's all hops here!

Taste: Silky smooth and pungent tropical flavor. Layer upon layer upon layer of smoothie fruits, with mango first, followed by the more citrusy grapefruit and orange, and finishing with a little bit of rind/pith on the finish. Delicious and refreshing.

Feel: soft to medium body, with the perfect amount of carbonation. Not overly crisp, and not just juice either. Elevates the beer, no doubt.

Overall: it's one of the best IPAs on the planet. Seek it out and bury yourself in its layers of hops.

4.41/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a one week old can poured into snifter. I thought this was a good IPA, but definitely overhyped. I don't think it holds a flame to some other IPA options out there, especially in the NE region. While it's got a great smell and taste, it had a tad too much malt presence and was not as citrus or juicy as anticipated. Still a great beer, but not a 100 score for me. I had this next to MBC Dinner and it blew Julius away.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company