Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,116
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Ratings: 1,255 | Reviews: 158
Reviews by SadMachine:
4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml growler filled 8/1/2014, poured into a Lawson's snifter 8/10/2014.

A- Hazy deep orange body, one finger white head with the right amount of retention and rings of lacing. Great lookin' beer.

S- Juicy citrus, grapefruit and sweet bready pale malt. I don't know how this smells so good, but it does. Again this is really dang juicy. I understand where the name comes from now.

F- Somehow, this beer tastes better than it smells. Citrus, oranges, grapefruits, mango, passion fruit, bread and caramel with more oranges and a slightly grassy citrus finish. Really juicy but balanced. Fantastic stuff.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a nice peppy carbonation. Phenomenal and very drinkable. Juicy, citrus zesty finish that is bitter but just the right amount of bitter grassiness to keep it interesting without interfering with drinkability.

O- Fantastic IPA. This one is worth its weight in gold... and more. Probably the most enjoyable single IPA I've had the chance to drink. I will have to obtain more of these on a regular basis!

easily one of the top IPA's I have ever had, that includes Pliny the Elder and HT - South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Growler courtesy of Cam....oh man, what a great surprise. Thank you buddy!

Rich orange, big fluff, pillows of lace....wow!

Big waves of citrus...orange, tangerine, nectarine...so damn fruity.

Huge notes of citrus here as well, baby aspirin, some caramel and bready malts for firm yet welcomed support, and a light grassy bitterness that keeps things honest.

Sweet and lightly syrupy but modestly carbonated allows this to feel juicy as well.

So much to like here and just a ridiculous amount of fresh hops and citrus twang with enough malt support and gentle bitters to keep everyone playing nicely. Damn Cam...thank you!

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass.

Very strong citrus flavor and definitely on the tropical fruit spectrum. Could be just me, but wasn't entirely what I expected. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but wasn't super impressed because, although the flavor was there, I was hoping for a little bit more of the hoppy bite. The citrus flavor was probably a bit too strong for my liking, but that obviously doesn't take away from this as being a finely crafted beer. Will say that I found the Curiosity 15 to be more to my liking.

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

To be completely upfront on my review:

This was acquired in a trade that was 'completed' around Jan 20, 2015 -- sent USPS. The package 'disappeared' from the tracking info within two weeks. They told the shipper it was gone, undeliverable, discarded.

Well, it showed up on my doorstep on May 19, 2015, box smashed to hell. BUT!! This one, the one I was looking forward to most in the beermail, made it! I didn't expect much, hell...a growler, 4 months old, undoubtedly sitting somewhere not refrigerated for the longest time...but then, I popped the cap after a night's chill in my fridge.

*slight gush* Oh my....there's still carb in this bad boy! Enough for a finger and a half or so of head upon pour. And it smells of fresh melons still!

The flavor was great on it as well, although probably not as sharp as Treehouse intended due to its origins, journey, and age. But it was still delicious! I would love to try this one fresh, now that I've had it in its pitiful, but beautiful, state as it was.

100% impressed even with the one that I got, a beer that I'll be thrilled to try again, especially in a can.

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

4.41/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a one week old can poured into snifter. I thought this was a good IPA, but definitely overhyped. I don't think it holds a flame to some other IPA options out there, especially in the NE region. While it's got a great smell and taste, it had a tad too much malt presence and was not as citrus or juicy as anticipated. Still a great beer, but not a 100 score for me. I had this next to MBC Dinner and it blew Julius away.

Awesome IPA. Definitely one of the most unique IPA's and freshest IPA I have tried.

750 into a HotD tulip. Filled 11/28/14.

Definitely juicy. A little dank(?) but not in a bad way, just unique. Nice balance of hop and malt. This is good but not as mind blowing as I hoped. Happy I had the chance to try it but not sure I'd seek it out again. Perhaps a little fresher and it would be amazing.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Lots of peach and mango flavored and aromas. Really balanced and absolutely delicious. Not a super hop Bomb but a really nuanced and balanced ipa.

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

After the pilgrimage to Tree House and several growlers and cans of Julius, I feel ready to write a review of the best IPA I've had.

Beautiful hazy, bright, glowing orange with a pure white head. Truly incredible aroma of orange juice and zest, mango, and several other lighter colored citrus fruits. Some juicy strawberry comes through as well when it opens. There is a backdrop of dank pine and very, very slight resin. Almost no malt at all - just a slight breadiness that lays the foundation for the explosion of hop flavors.

They are working magic out there in Monson

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via trade from @NickWebster87. Poured into snifter
A- murky orange with huge, soapy, off-white head. Moderate lace as the glass empties.
S- orange upfront along with some mango and grapefruit. Really sweet citrus going on here.
T- orangey citrus with a bit more malt presence than expected. Great balance. Not too bitter or dry.
M- oh my goodness! Best feel ever on an IPA! So balanced and creamy.
O- my expectations were pretty high and this is a really great IPA. Not perfect, but definitely holds it's place up there with the big boys.

I picked up a 6 pack of this at the brewery on 4/25/15.
A: Bright orange, hazy in color with a nice foamy white head.
S: Immediately i'm struck by strong orange notes that subside into some pine, grassy character.
T: The orange is definitely there, but it's not overpowering, has a nice sweet backbone combined with some mild piney hops. Very balanced between the hop kick and the sweetness. Almost no bitterness to it.
M: Extremely smooth, seems almost perfectly balanced. Medium carbonation, creamy finish.
O: Wow, I actually had a dream a few nights ago that I'd land a can of this and I ended up getting 6!!!! I thought i'd never try it. It's exceptionally smooth, balanced, and yet has a nice hoppy kick to it combined with the citrus component. 5's all around!!! This brewery makes me proud to be from Western Mass!!!!

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very hazy orange body. Big white head with nice lacing and a chunky collar.

Smell - Orange hops. Metallic sort of aroma. Some toasty malt.

Taste - Tastes much better. Tropical fruits. Orange. Lightly toasty cracker malt. A bit of sweetness backs it up.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Kinda creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is good, but I don't get the crazy high ratings it has. I could definitely drink lots of this and would be happy drinking it all the time, but not sure it's top 50 caliber.

Brilliance in a bottle is an understatement for this highly reviewed IPA. Began the evening with a 750ml bottle from the previous weekend's batch. The color pours into my Hill Farmstead tulip glass a perfect pale golden tone. The smell of orange, grapefruit, and citrus fills the air immediately when opened. Freshly squeezed orange grapefruit juice with the mild bitterness of hop to give it that classic taste. A beautifully crafted IPA and easily one I will go out of my way to try again. Cannot recommend the aesthetic quality of this enough.

4.42/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

S: Bright tropical fruits, heavy mango and orange, grapefruit and passion fruit complementing, some dankness as well.

L: Very cloudy, burnt orange, creamy white head with solid retention and lacing.

T: Ripe, heavy mango up front with a semi-sweet caramal malt complementing. Medium, fruity bitterness leading into some slight dankness. Definitely mango fruit forward throughout. Finishes slightly resiny and dry.

M: Medium low carbonation, very smooth and clean. Medium bodied.

Great IPA, not sure if its worth the 1.5 hr wait, but nice fruitiness and dangerously drinkable. Probably has a bit more bitterness when carbed properly instead of directly out of a growler.

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Tried from a fresh Can. Nice deep orange and tons of citrus on the nose with a huge citrus finish! Great Stuff!!!

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Simply awesome.

Purchased from brewery on 11/9, consumed 11/10.

A-mild carbonation, light orange hues.
S-Fresh cut grass and gasoline. Perfect.
T-Unreal!!! Perfect.
M-bitter, hoppy, crisp.
O-One of the best beers I've ever had. Period.

Similar to Stones Enjoy By series but without the ABV. Now if they would just brew more of it.

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2L growler poured into a Tree House tulip.

Creamsicle orange with pronounced haze and a finger of off-white foam. Enough residual lacing to give me flashbacks of previous girlfriends. Can't wait to dig in. The nose gives hints of guava, mango, and peaches. A hint of over ripened tangerines and fresh baked bread as it warms. The taste is an abundance of tropical juices, with some peppered grapefruit on the finish. The alcohol is barely detectable, and the mouthfeel is a tad creamy. At 6.8% abv, they packed a ton of flavorful hops in this beer, and it shows. If you find yourself in Monson, MA, do yourself a favor and pay a visit to Tree House Brewing. These guys have created a world-class IPA that lives up to the hype. I think I'll have another. Larrrrrrrrrge.

Haven't typed out a review in a while, but as this beer is my first 5 Overall, a few words:
As soon as you get it open (I was lucky to try it out of a can) the smell of orange/citrus are pungent throughout the room. In the glass it goes, gorgeous orange color with a frothy white head that fades with time. The taste of this beer follows the nose 100%--its a tropical fruit explosion. One of my favorite parts was the mouthfeel--I wish I could give it a 6. Creamy, perfect amount of carbonation.
This beer is perfection. Trade for this/go to Tree House, just get some. I promise you won't regret it

This beer blew me away, world class IPA

This is an amazing beer from Tree House. Best American IPA out there!

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

About as good as it gets. Huge mango nose and tons of citrus. All this and so smooth and fresh.

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

Thick, rich dark chocolately and complex. Absolutely delicious dessert of a beer.

It's everything that's good about beer.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company