Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,534
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 282 | Hads: 1,986
Reviews by dotes_on_dipas:
4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml growler filled 8/1/2014, poured into a Lawson's snifter 8/10/2014.

A- Hazy deep orange body, one finger white head with the right amount of retention and rings of lacing. Great lookin' beer.

S- Juicy citrus, grapefruit and sweet bready pale malt. I don't know how this smells so good, but it does. Again this is really dang juicy. I understand where the name comes from now.

F- Somehow, this beer tastes better than it smells. Citrus, oranges, grapefruits, mango, passion fruit, bread and caramel with more oranges and a slightly grassy citrus finish. Really juicy but balanced. Fantastic stuff.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a nice peppy carbonation. Phenomenal and very drinkable. Juicy, citrus zesty finish that is bitter but just the right amount of bitter grassiness to keep it interesting without interfering with drinkability.

O- Fantastic IPA. This one is worth its weight in gold... and more. Probably the most enjoyable single IPA I've had the chance to drink. I will have to obtain more of these on a regular basis!

3.92/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright. The IPA at the top of the heap for the moment. So stoked to be able to try this. After several cans, I think I'm ready to sketch some thoughts.

Rather than go through the parts, I'll start with the sum: Julius is fruity as hell. But, to my palate, there's just not enough depth of hop flavor, nor balancing bitterness. It suffers under the weight of its richly decadent body, fruity esters combining with sweet malt to make this more like sweetened hop cake than bracing, refreshing IPA. I say all this with some reserve. Julius is not a bad beer in the least. And my guess is that this is exactly the sort of beer the brewers set out to create, so mission accomplished there. For me, though, it just doesn't work as well as so many other beloved IPAs.

Now, as to the parts themselves, Julius is a deep, dark orange in the glass, darn near opaque. Under artificial lighting, it's not especially attractive. It has a nice foamy head to start, though retention isn't great (unlike its intrastate rivals, Trillium, whose brews tend to have head for days). The nose is the strong suit, at least at the start, offering a nice blast of peachy fruitiness, with perhaps some citric notes thrown in too. Unfortunately, once all those dry hop volatiles evaporate, J. gets a bit oversaturatedly fruity and, rather surprisingly, malt forward. Palate is heavy, dense even, and drinkability is not especially high. There's some backing bitterness in there, but it's restrained, letting the fruity esters and hops dominate. In the end, Julius is befitting of its name, reminding me of some tropical-flavored iteration of an Orange Julius, thick, fruity, rich.

So cool to try this brew, which in some ways typifies the NEIPA. For me, I'd gladly sacrifice some of that oversaturated fruitiness for more drinkability and more depth/acuity of flavor. But, for those in the mood for some fruity hop excess, this'll do the trick.

easily one of the top IPA's I have ever had, that includes Pliny the Elder and HT - South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Growler courtesy of Cam....oh man, what a great surprise. Thank you buddy!

Rich orange, big fluff, pillows of lace....wow!

Big waves of citrus...orange, tangerine, nectarine...so damn fruity.

Huge notes of citrus here as well, baby aspirin, some caramel and bready malts for firm yet welcomed support, and a light grassy bitterness that keeps things honest.

Sweet and lightly syrupy but modestly carbonated allows this to feel juicy as well.

So much to like here and just a ridiculous amount of fresh hops and citrus twang with enough malt support and gentle bitters to keep everyone playing nicely. Damn Cam...thank you!

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't get me wrong - this is a fantastic IPA bursting with tropical fruit and citrus. However, with the hype behind it, I expected something a bit more. It was outshined by the double dry hopped fort point I had the same night. Drinks a bit thin, but it's very smooth and absurdly crushable.

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass.

Very strong citrus flavor and definitely on the tropical fruit spectrum. Could be just me, but wasn't entirely what I expected. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but wasn't super impressed because, although the flavor was there, I was hoping for a little bit more of the hoppy bite. The citrus flavor was probably a bit too strong for my liking, but that obviously doesn't take away from this as being a finely crafted beer. Will say that I found the Curiosity 15 to be more to my liking.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked this one open tonight, got it on a trade on Sunday. Pours a deep opaque orange with a fluffy white head that sticks around. Smell is super fruit, just pure orange and mango. OK, this is amazing, one of the best beers I've ever had. The mango on the tongue is so potent you could have told me this was juice. Notes of blood orange and pineapple, sweet malt, hint of grassy hop bitterness. The feel is so light and smooth. Drinks like a mango orange smoothie. Overall this beer deserves all the credit it gets.

4.27/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a tallboy can into a Belgian tulip.

Pours cloudy with an orange and peach-colored body. Looks a bit murky. Fizzy white head that turns into a beehive-like wax. 3.5

Bursting with tropical aroma. Tons of pineapple and mango and dank, resinous aroma. That fruit aroma is insane. 4.5

A step below the aroma. The tropical fruit recedes a bit. Still get a nice blend of pineapple and mango and passionfruit but it lacks the pop the nose suggested. There's some earthy and resinous flavor there that reminds me of a fresh hop beer. Floral and bubblegum on the finish. 4.25

Drinks light and lovely. Very smooth and easy to drink. Light bitterness and a resinous, sticky feel. 4.25

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: You know it's Julius. Cloudy, tangerine color.

S: Bright, citrusy, juicy.

T: Tropical and citrusy. Unfortunately it's almost to the point where it reminds me of Tang.

F: Creamy for an IPA. I would prefer a little more of a bite.

O: I can understand the hype behind this beer with all-natural ingredients producing a lot of flavor. Sometimes enough is enough and subtleties are more appreciated though.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The hype is very real for this one. Was able to trade for 2 cans and while I loved the first can I drank, it wasn't until the second one that I really understood what was so great about this beer. As the brewery says, this is insanely drinkable. It goes down so smooth. Perfect balance between hops and malt with the hops shining in an amazing way. I will be driving to treehouse very soon to grab some of this beer. Top notch all the way.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper consistent with an east coast IPA with light head that quickly dissipates and moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, strong grapefruit, orange with a trace of mango

Taste: Ah, this beer lives up to its world class rating. The balance of a moderate malt body the plays perfectly with the tropical hop flavors and bitterness. The brilliance of this beer lies in this balance. The bitterness lingers a bit but the overall citrus essence remains to the next sip

Feel: The body is surprising light, with crisp smooth finish that begs for another sip

Overall: One of the best American IPAs I have had and an exemplary example of an east coast IPA. Saddened that it is not more readily available, but is a must try for any hop head

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

To be completely upfront on my review:

This was acquired in a trade that was 'completed' around Jan 20, 2015 -- sent USPS. The package 'disappeared' from the tracking info within two weeks. They told the shipper it was gone, undeliverable, discarded.

Well, it showed up on my doorstep on May 19, 2015, box smashed to hell. BUT!! This one, the one I was looking forward to most in the beermail, made it! I didn't expect much, hell...a growler, 4 months old, undoubtedly sitting somewhere not refrigerated for the longest time...but then, I popped the cap after a night's chill in my fridge.

*slight gush* Oh my....there's still carb in this bad boy! Enough for a finger and a half or so of head upon pour. And it smells of fresh melons still!

The flavor was great on it as well, although probably not as sharp as Treehouse intended due to its origins, journey, and age. But it was still delicious! I would love to try this one fresh, now that I've had it in its pitiful, but beautiful, state as it was.

100% impressed even with the one that I got, a beer that I'll be thrilled to try again, especially in a can.

4.37/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 16oz can into a teku glass. Can dated 10-6-15 so exactly 2 weeks old.

A: pours a funky orange color, like murky Tang almost. Decent 1/2" of head and nice sticky lacing.
S: one of the most interesting smelling IPA's I've ever smelled. Lots of fruit, specifically citrus and mango and it is bursting out of the glass. As soon as I popped the can the aroma was evident.
T: not as impressive as the smell. The fruitiness is present but quickly fades and leaves just a slight dry bitterness.
M: mouthfeel was just above average. Carbonation was appropriate but nothing out of the ordinary.
O: glad I got to try it, have another can to do a side by side with Alter Ego. Nowhere near the best IPA out there, not even in the top ten for my tastes. Would drink again if given to me but not gonna try and trade as its value is way over inflated..

4.24/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Derek for the chance to try this beer.

Julius pours a somewhat hazy/cloudy light orange color with good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, I get considerable orange citrus, with a hint of underlying gingersnap and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this well balanced, not particularly hoppy IPA. There is a considerable amount of tropical fruit as well, but the sweetness is nicely buoyed and balanced by the hops in this easy to enjoy and appreciate IPA. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability is terrific.

A very nice IPA, but as with Masala Mama some years ago, I'm a bit puzzled by the lofty review scores I see on BA. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but a score of 100? Really? That makes no sense to me. Whatever, this is still a very fine, well crafted IPA from Tree House.

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a week old can into a teku:

Appearance: thick, turbid orange color, with a pillowy white head. Pretty much looks exactly like orange juice, with a nice fluffy white head on top.

Aroma: the second you open the can, tropical aroma pours out. Loads of refined citrus aroma, with oranges, grapefruit, and tons of mango. Not much malt evident at all, it's all hops here!

Taste: Silky smooth and pungent tropical flavor. Layer upon layer upon layer of smoothie fruits, with mango first, followed by the more citrusy grapefruit and orange, and finishing with a little bit of rind/pith on the finish. Delicious and refreshing.

Feel: soft to medium body, with the perfect amount of carbonation. Not overly crisp, and not just juice either. Elevates the beer, no doubt.

Overall: it's one of the best IPAs on the planet. Seek it out and bury yourself in its layers of hops.

4.41/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a one week old can poured into snifter. I thought this was a good IPA, but definitely overhyped. I don't think it holds a flame to some other IPA options out there, especially in the NE region. While it's got a great smell and taste, it had a tad too much malt presence and was not as citrus or juicy as anticipated. Still a great beer, but not a 100 score for me. I had this next to MBC Dinner and it blew Julius away.

Awesome IPA. Definitely one of the most unique IPA's and freshest IPA I have tried.

This is the perfect IPA in my view. It takes a couple of cans to truly appreciate this brew because I initially thought it didn't live up to the hype after the first can/sip. And this is partly due to its complexity. I love the fruit in this but what separates this beer from the rest is the herbal character. You almost feel healthy drinking this. Go drink this before Tree House expands further and, God forbid, something changes about this beer (knock on wood).

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky dark orange. It doesn't get by on its looks, but it does have nice fluffy off white head. Faint aroma of melon. Definitely get a lot of melon, honey, and honey dew in the taste. A little bit of papaya and bitterness on the finish. Flavor is a bit underwhelming and lacks some of the juicy intensity that I enjoy, but it has a very nice soft mouthfeel. Overall, I like Julius, but it's far from the best IPA I've had and it's definitely not the best beer I've had from Tree House.

UPDATE: I am getting more citrus and a touch of bitterness. However, there's still some jello like sweetness from the combination of malt and mouthfeel that's kind of off putting.

4.36/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml growler from Reagan1984. Served in a taster pint and shared with friends.

A - White foam settles to a near-complete cap, thick collar, and leaves behind plenty of splotchy lacework. Hazed orange body.

S - Reminds me a lot of Zombie Dust actually, but with a tad more sugary malt sweetness. Massive citrus, light dankness and onion in the periphery.

T - The taste is quite similar, with loads of citrus, light tropical melon and mango, and some balancing brown sugar malts. Very low bitterness, as one would expect from a Citra-heavy brew.

M - Soft, growler-style carbonation. Medium body, no alcohol presence, and a dry, crisp finish.

D - A great brew that is supremely drinkable. A tiny bit sweeter than I prefer, but on the whole pretty excellent stuff. Would happily drink this again any time. The growler emptied in record time and I may have to ask Greg for a full 64oz next time he heads to Tree House.

4.22/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Maybe I got an old can but this brew is good but not as outstanding as everyone says it is. It's very drinkable but so are many other beers I've had that are much easier to get. I definitely want to try this again so it can get another shot at my Top 10

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company