Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,210
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 139 | Hads: 1,381
Reviews by muzzy:

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml growler filled 8/1/2014, poured into a Lawson's snifter 8/10/2014.

A- Hazy deep orange body, one finger white head with the right amount of retention and rings of lacing. Great lookin' beer.

S- Juicy citrus, grapefruit and sweet bready pale malt. I don't know how this smells so good, but it does. Again this is really dang juicy. I understand where the name comes from now.

F- Somehow, this beer tastes better than it smells. Citrus, oranges, grapefruits, mango, passion fruit, bread and caramel with more oranges and a slightly grassy citrus finish. Really juicy but balanced. Fantastic stuff.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a nice peppy carbonation. Phenomenal and very drinkable. Juicy, citrus zesty finish that is bitter but just the right amount of bitter grassiness to keep it interesting without interfering with drinkability.

O- Fantastic IPA. This one is worth its weight in gold... and more. Probably the most enjoyable single IPA I've had the chance to drink. I will have to obtain more of these on a regular basis! (1,049 characters)

easily one of the top IPA's I have ever had, that includes Pliny the Elder and HT - South Carolina (98 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Growler courtesy of Cam....oh man, what a great surprise. Thank you buddy!

Rich orange, big fluff, pillows of lace....wow!

Big waves of citrus...orange, tangerine, nectarine...so damn fruity.

Huge notes of citrus here as well, baby aspirin, some caramel and bready malts for firm yet welcomed support, and a light grassy bitterness that keeps things honest.

Sweet and lightly syrupy but modestly carbonated allows this to feel juicy as well.

So much to like here and just a ridiculous amount of fresh hops and citrus twang with enough malt support and gentle bitters to keep everyone playing nicely. Damn Cam...thank you! (627 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't get me wrong - this is a fantastic IPA bursting with tropical fruit and citrus. However, with the hype behind it, I expected something a bit more. It was outshined by the double dry hopped fort point I had the same night. Drinks a bit thin, but it's very smooth and absurdly crushable. (292 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass.

Very strong citrus flavor and definitely on the tropical fruit spectrum. Could be just me, but wasn't entirely what I expected. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but wasn't super impressed because, although the flavor was there, I was hoping for a little bit more of the hoppy bite. The citrus flavor was probably a bit too strong for my liking, but that obviously doesn't take away from this as being a finely crafted beer. Will say that I found the Curiosity 15 to be more to my liking. (554 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper consistent with an east coast IPA with light head that quickly dissipates and moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, strong grapefruit, orange with a trace of mango

Taste: Ah, this beer lives up to its world class rating. The balance of a moderate malt body the plays perfectly with the tropical hop flavors and bitterness. The brilliance of this beer lies in this balance. The bitterness lingers a bit but the overall citrus essence remains to the next sip

Feel: The body is surprising light, with crisp smooth finish that begs for another sip

Overall: One of the best American IPAs I have had and an exemplary example of an east coast IPA. Saddened that it is not more readily available, but is a must try for any hop head (762 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

To be completely upfront on my review:

This was acquired in a trade that was 'completed' around Jan 20, 2015 -- sent USPS. The package 'disappeared' from the tracking info within two weeks. They told the shipper it was gone, undeliverable, discarded.

Well, it showed up on my doorstep on May 19, 2015, box smashed to hell. BUT!! This one, the one I was looking forward to most in the beermail, made it! I didn't expect much, hell...a growler, 4 months old, undoubtedly sitting somewhere not refrigerated for the longest time...but then, I popped the cap after a night's chill in my fridge.

*slight gush* Oh my....there's still carb in this bad boy! Enough for a finger and a half or so of head upon pour. And it smells of fresh melons still!

The flavor was great on it as well, although probably not as sharp as Treehouse intended due to its origins, journey, and age. But it was still delicious! I would love to try this one fresh, now that I've had it in its pitiful, but beautiful, state as it was.

100% impressed even with the one that I got, a beer that I'll be thrilled to try again, especially in a can. (1,118 characters)

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time! (162 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a one week old can poured into snifter. I thought this was a good IPA, but definitely overhyped. I don't think it holds a flame to some other IPA options out there, especially in the NE region. While it's got a great smell and taste, it had a tad too much malt presence and was not as citrus or juicy as anticipated. Still a great beer, but not a 100 score for me. I had this next to MBC Dinner and it blew Julius away. (427 characters)

Awesome IPA. Definitely one of the most unique IPA's and freshest IPA I have tried. (84 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml growler from Reagan1984. Served in a taster pint and shared with friends.

A - White foam settles to a near-complete cap, thick collar, and leaves behind plenty of splotchy lacework. Hazed orange body.

S - Reminds me a lot of Zombie Dust actually, but with a tad more sugary malt sweetness. Massive citrus, light dankness and onion in the periphery.

T - The taste is quite similar, with loads of citrus, light tropical melon and mango, and some balancing brown sugar malts. Very low bitterness, as one would expect from a Citra-heavy brew.

M - Soft, growler-style carbonation. Medium body, no alcohol presence, and a dry, crisp finish.

D - A great brew that is supremely drinkable. A tiny bit sweeter than I prefer, but on the whole pretty excellent stuff. Would happily drink this again any time. The growler emptied in record time and I may have to ask Greg for a full 64oz next time he heads to Tree House. (920 characters)

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some! (352 characters)

750 into a HotD tulip. Filled 11/28/14.

Definitely juicy. A little dank(?) but not in a bad way, just unique. Nice balance of hop and malt. This is good but not as mind blowing as I hoped. Happy I had the chance to try it but not sure I'd seek it out again. Perhaps a little fresher and it would be amazing. (308 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%