Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 402 | Ratings: 2,678

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

Fantastic! As soon as you open the can, you get that citrusy/mango aroma and the taste is just as good. Very smooth for an IPA. Mine of the best beers I've had

I mean, you can knock it for having the haze it does, but if you're looking to appearance for what to expect, it's exactly what it should be!
JUICE. Orange. It's exactly what you'd expect. My favorite IPA to date.
There are not many beers where you drink it, your eyes get big, and you double-take. Haven't had that with any of the other big NE or West Coast IPAs.

If I could rate this beer a solid 10 + I would...it is absolutely OFF. THE. CHARTS. AMAZING!!!!!! Color is like a milky sunset orange; it captivates and lures you in at sight. Smell is outstanding...peachy, apricot, citrus goodness. Please please PLEASE bottle this stuff as a perfume!!!! I'd douse myself in it and my boyfriend would be in sheer HEAVEN!!! Taste~okay here is where we get a little crazy because up until this point it's been a pure turn-on and tease. Let me preface this by recalling a movie entitled When Harry Met Sally. Remember Meg Ryan's rendition of a fake orgasm? At first sip, expect this beer to cause the real thing...it's mind-blowing amazing. Beautiful lacing from a pure white head, it's truly pillowy and extremely easy to drink. For me, the peachy/apricot notes are prominent upon smell, opening up to strong notes of mango, papaya and a touch of melon to taste. This beer lingers on the palate, so don't rush in for a second sip too soon! Sit back and relive that first sip for a couple minutes...the finish is amazingly smooth and fresh!! On a side note...this beer can be dangerously easy to drink and cause people to slip and say things they may be held accountable for: Honey, am I really getting a diamond engagement ring within the next 6 months???!! hehe!! ; )

Tried from a fresh can poured into a teku glass.

Look - Cloudy, Orange glow in the glass with a nice head of bubbles that sticks around. I would give it a 5, typical peach nectar appearance I have come to expect with TH IPAs.

Smell - Takes over the senses with fresh orange citrus, tropical fruit and peaches. Some mild floral notes develop as well with a little time in the glass. The aroma is a perfect 5 IMO as it really delights the senses as well as anyone sitting close by.

Taste - ORANGE, ORANGE, and more ORANGE followed by complimenting tropical fruit and peaches. Smoother than 26.3 points per game and 20.2 rebounds per game (Dr.J at UMASS), this beer is extremely easy to drink. Very well balanced even though it's packed with juicy oranges the slight hoppy bitterness hade coming back for more. Perfect 5 stands up to other world class IPAS.

Feel - Light to Medium - this beer is so crushable with its ridiculously smooth body.
Juicy citrus with a perfect balance of hoppiness that does not overwhelm the palate in a negative aspect. Also a great level of carbonation that makes this beer a real sensory explosion.

Overall - 5 out of 5 Easily in my fab five. I would drink this beer everyday if I could and not regret it. A tremendous effort by a young brewery that has me excited about every release.

16 oz can (thanks Leo!) poured into a Jow's Arcade tulip glass

A - Hazy, typical NE/Tree House dark orange color. Completely opaque, with a 1/2 finger of off white head.

S - A straight orange juice bomb. Wow, so much orange juice. How do they make hops smell this way with no adjuncts?! Its crazy. Bitter orange peel, tangerines, sweet peaches, herbaceous. Amazing nose.

T - Huge, huge, huge orange right up front. Explosive juiciness. Tree House has their beer dialed. Orange peel follows, pithy orange middle of the mouth, bitter hops, crazy balanced with an awesome sweet citrus finish.

M - Medium, velvety smooth. TH mouth feel is second to none it seems when it comes to hoppy beers.

O - as far as IPAs go, this is one of the best on the planet. No holes to find. The only way you don't like this beer, is if you don't like juicy citrus IPAs. So fun to drink. Highest of recommendations.

Can dated 8/18/15. This is my first Julius and I'm already disappointed that I don't have another one to drink after this (yet....). Pours opaque and murky almost like fresh squeezed orange juice. Immediately hit with an intoxicating aroma of oranges and ripe mango or peaches. There is also a pleasant dankness too it. Taste is just a continuation of juicy tropical fruit with a bit of citrus pith and pine aftertaste that lingers. So smooth and drinkable. I've never given a beer a 5 before but I think this deserves it. Too bad I don't have regular access this to this, cause my beer buying choices would be so much more simplified. I wouldn't need to buy anything else I don't think.

I picked up a 6 pack of this at the brewery on 4/25/15.
A: Bright orange, hazy in color with a nice foamy white head.
S: Immediately i'm struck by strong orange notes that subside into some pine, grassy character.
T: The orange is definitely there, but it's not overpowering, has a nice sweet backbone combined with some mild piney hops. Very balanced between the hop kick and the sweetness. Almost no bitterness to it.
M: Extremely smooth, seems almost perfectly balanced. Medium carbonation, creamy finish.
O: Wow, I actually had a dream a few nights ago that I'd land a can of this and I ended up getting 6!!!! I thought i'd never try it. It's exceptionally smooth, balanced, and yet has a nice hoppy kick to it combined with the citrus component. 5's all around!!! This brewery makes me proud to be from Western Mass!!!!

One of the best IPAs I've ever had. I think the only other IPA that I like better is Green IPA, also from Tree House. Everything TH is just SO top notch, I'm not sure how they are not considered the best brewery in USA!

Tropical and citrusy blast in your face. If you have not ever tried this beer, do whatever you can to acquire some because every beer drinker has to try this one! It will become the beer that you will judge every other beer by!

Haven't typed out a review in a while, but as this beer is my first 5 Overall, a few words:
As soon as you get it open (I was lucky to try it out of a can) the smell of orange/citrus are pungent throughout the room. In the glass it goes, gorgeous orange color with a frothy white head that fades with time. The taste of this beer follows the nose 100%--its a tropical fruit explosion. One of my favorite parts was the mouthfeel--I wish I could give it a 6. Creamy, perfect amount of carbonation.
This beer is perfection. Trade for this/go to Tree House, just get some. I promise you won't regret it

This is my first Tree House beer and I have to say it lives up to the hype. Incredibly hazy from the abundance of hops makes it as opaque as any quality stout. It smells like an orchard of citrus trees. Julius tastes just as it looks almost like orange juice. The flavor profiles for me come in three waves first with the hops up front, then a smooth as silk water, then a slight return of the hops at the end. Extremely complex yet balanced. Julius makes me want to move to Massachusetts. This is my favorite beer of all time. Cheers!

Julius has a lot of head with an orange coloring. There is a fruity and orange smell. The taste is to no surprise is full of orange juice! Overall, I would advise to get this if you *surprise* enjoy orange juice and if you don't; then skip it.

Canned on 24Feb 2016 and enjoyed the same day. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.
L: Dark, burnt orange... completely opaque. Glows a glorious orange with light shined behind it. Gorgeous pure white head leaving sticky lacing.
S: The can does not lie… a tropical bouquet… not phony juicy juice but like a fresh, ripe peach and mango. I’ve had peaches in Georgia that didn’t smell this good.
T: Their twitter page does not lie… big and soft flavors… fruity and light and bright hops.
F: Very light with bright, prickly hops dancing on your tongue.
O: Just staggering… I could drink all 6 of my allotment tonight. Having come from Bub Light country in Southern Alabama for a contract in Milford, CT, the 3hr drive is well for it for a Wed. can run. Tree House has exceeded the hype. I almost can't believe that this beer will knock Westy 12 out of the top 10, but there is no better brewery to do it.

Heaven in a glass or in a can! Julius delivers on the hype. Truely wonderful beer. Not overly bitter, definitely a ton of citrus and tropical fruits in there.

This is absolutely hands down one of the top beers i have ever had....explodes with a hoppy aroma when opened. Looks pillowy orange on pour, tastes unlike any beer i have ever had. Can taste citrus, peach and other fruit like flavors. Feels smooth, pillowy and velvety. Overall absolutely delicious!!!

Enjoying a fresh one from todays release on Treehouses' 3rd anniversary! My new fav. So much mango, papaya. A hint of cracker malt and then bam!!! You get a solid kick of bitterness. Well done.

Had a sample of it straight off the keg at the brewery and it changed my life. Freshest single IPA I have EVER had. Crisp and hop forward but well balanced. I bought 2 growlers of it to take home and it kept its freshness well!

I love it when a beer lives up the hype and boy does this one do exactly that. It's easily the easiest drinking, hoppy IPA I have ever had. And it truly does look like a glass of OJ. Absolutely world class

A magnificent, citrus, somewhat thicker, legendary IPA. What a beer! Find this, buy this, seek this out as it is a masterpiece in the World of craft beer.

Poured from a 16oz can into a teku glass. Pours a little cloudy with a fluffy white head. Smells of citrus, passion fruit, melon and peach. Tastes very citrusy and fruity with a little hop punch at the end. WOW it begs for another sip. This one is a GEM!!

Wow. Just wow. My second ever 5 on BA. Canned on 9/2. Pours an absolutely beautiful murky, hazy, cloudy, orange and peach. The nose is stunning. I could use this stuff as cologne every day. Orange, peach, mango, tangerine, passion fruit, so tropical and citrusy, just bursting out of my tulip. The taste doesn't disappoint. Perfectly sweet orange and peach upfront, transforms into a luscious mango before finishing with juicy tangerine. If the taste wasn't amazing enough, the mouth feel is possibly my favorite of any beer to date. It has a creamy and mouth covering feel that goes down so smooth and leaves a nice bitter tangerine aftertaste in your mouth. Will definitely seek out any tree house I can get my hands on after this experience.

The beer pours an apricot syrup.
As soon as the can is opened dank orangey, papaya fruit rolls out.
Tastes like you are sucking on a citrusy hop starburst. The mouthfeel is deceptively smooth for a beer that is this sticky. Slight dankness, but the most flavor is a pungent sweet orange juice. I would give this beer to someone who says they don't like IPA's because they are too bitter.

Julius is perfection in a glass. I don't know how the guys at TreeHouse do it, but this beer is one of the few that lives up to the hype and surpasses it.

Appearance is a beautiful unfiltered orange color.

Smell is tropical and juicy. Orange is there, but also tropical fruits.

Taste is an explosion of flavor. Orange, Tangerine, and tropical fruit - you name it and it's there. Juicy juicy juicy beer - and with just the right amount of malt backbone behind it. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had. I don't think it's possible to make one better - and I've had almost every top IPA on draft in the US.

If you have the opportunity to get your hands on this beer, do it!

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

An absolutely amazing IPA. This is full of cirtus and so juicy. So glad I finally got a chance to try this beer. Probably the best IPA I have ever had!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company