Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,437
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 242 | Hads: 1,757

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

If I could rate this beer a solid 10 + I would...it is absolutely OFF. THE. CHARTS. AMAZING!!!!!! Color is like a milky sunset orange; it captivates and lures you in at sight. Smell is outstanding...peachy, apricot, citrus goodness. Please please PLEASE bottle this stuff as a perfume!!!! I'd douse myself in it and my boyfriend would be in sheer HEAVEN!!! Taste~okay here is where we get a little crazy because up until this point it's been a pure turn-on and tease. Let me preface this by recalling a movie entitled When Harry Met Sally. Remember Meg Ryan's rendition of a fake orgasm? At first sip, expect this beer to cause the real thing...it's mind-blowing amazing. Beautiful lacing from a pure white head, it's truly pillowy and extremely easy to drink. For me, the peachy/apricot notes are prominent upon smell, opening up to strong notes of mango, papaya and a touch of melon to taste. This beer lingers on the palate, so don't rush in for a second sip too soon! Sit back and relive that first sip for a couple minutes...the finish is amazingly smooth and fresh!! On a side note...this beer can be dangerously easy to drink and cause people to slip and say things they may be held accountable for: Honey, am I really getting a diamond engagement ring within the next 6 months???!! hehe!! ; )

Tried from a fresh can poured into a teku glass.

Look - Cloudy, Orange glow in the glass with a nice head of bubbles that sticks around. I would give it a 5, typical peach nectar appearance I have come to expect with TH IPAs.

Smell - Takes over the senses with fresh orange citrus, tropical fruit and peaches. Some mild floral notes develop as well with a little time in the glass. The aroma is a perfect 5 IMO as it really delights the senses as well as anyone sitting close by.

Taste - ORANGE, ORANGE, and more ORANGE followed by complimenting tropical fruit and peaches. Smoother than 26.3 points per game and 20.2 rebounds per game (Dr.J at UMASS), this beer is extremely easy to drink. Very well balanced even though it's packed with juicy oranges the slight hoppy bitterness hade coming back for more. Perfect 5 stands up to other world class IPAS.

Feel - Light to Medium - this beer is so crushable with its ridiculously smooth body.
Juicy citrus with a perfect balance of hoppiness that does not overwhelm the palate in a negative aspect. Also a great level of carbonation that makes this beer a real sensory explosion.

Overall - 5 out of 5 Easily in my fab five. I would drink this beer everyday if I could and not regret it. A tremendous effort by a young brewery that has me excited about every release.

16 oz can (thanks Leo!) poured into a Jow's Arcade tulip glass

A - Hazy, typical NE/Tree House dark orange color. Completely opaque, with a 1/2 finger of off white head.

S - A straight orange juice bomb. Wow, so much orange juice. How do they make hops smell this way with no adjuncts?! Its crazy. Bitter orange peel, tangerines, sweet peaches, herbaceous. Amazing nose.

T - Huge, huge, huge orange right up front. Explosive juiciness. Tree House has their beer dialed. Orange peel follows, pithy orange middle of the mouth, bitter hops, crazy balanced with an awesome sweet citrus finish.

M - Medium, velvety smooth. TH mouth feel is second to none it seems when it comes to hoppy beers.

O - as far as IPAs go, this is one of the best on the planet. No holes to find. The only way you don't like this beer, is if you don't like juicy citrus IPAs. So fun to drink. Highest of recommendations.

Can dated 8/18/15. This is my first Julius and I'm already disappointed that I don't have another one to drink after this (yet....). Pours opaque and murky almost like fresh squeezed orange juice. Immediately hit with an intoxicating aroma of oranges and ripe mango or peaches. There is also a pleasant dankness too it. Taste is just a continuation of juicy tropical fruit with a bit of citrus pith and pine aftertaste that lingers. So smooth and drinkable. I've never given a beer a 5 before but I think this deserves it. Too bad I don't have regular access this to this, cause my beer buying choices would be so much more simplified. I wouldn't need to buy anything else I don't think.

I picked up a 6 pack of this at the brewery on 4/25/15.
A: Bright orange, hazy in color with a nice foamy white head.
S: Immediately i'm struck by strong orange notes that subside into some pine, grassy character.
T: The orange is definitely there, but it's not overpowering, has a nice sweet backbone combined with some mild piney hops. Very balanced between the hop kick and the sweetness. Almost no bitterness to it.
M: Extremely smooth, seems almost perfectly balanced. Medium carbonation, creamy finish.
O: Wow, I actually had a dream a few nights ago that I'd land a can of this and I ended up getting 6!!!! I thought i'd never try it. It's exceptionally smooth, balanced, and yet has a nice hoppy kick to it combined with the citrus component. 5's all around!!! This brewery makes me proud to be from Western Mass!!!!

One of the best IPAs I've ever had. I think the only other IPA that I like better is Green IPA, also from Tree House. Everything TH is just SO top notch, I'm not sure how they are not considered the best brewery in USA!

Tropical and citrusy blast in your face. If you have not ever tried this beer, do whatever you can to acquire some because every beer drinker has to try this one! It will become the beer that you will judge every other beer by!

Haven't typed out a review in a while, but as this beer is my first 5 Overall, a few words:
As soon as you get it open (I was lucky to try it out of a can) the smell of orange/citrus are pungent throughout the room. In the glass it goes, gorgeous orange color with a frothy white head that fades with time. The taste of this beer follows the nose 100%--its a tropical fruit explosion. One of my favorite parts was the mouthfeel--I wish I could give it a 6. Creamy, perfect amount of carbonation.
This beer is perfection. Trade for this/go to Tree House, just get some. I promise you won't regret it

Heaven in a glass or in a can! Julius delivers on the hype. Truely wonderful beer. Not overly bitter, definitely a ton of citrus and tropical fruits in there.

Enjoying a fresh one from todays release on Treehouses' 3rd anniversary! My new fav. So much mango, papaya. A hint of cracker malt and then bam!!! You get a solid kick of bitterness. Well done.

Had a sample of it straight off the keg at the brewery and it changed my life. Freshest single IPA I have EVER had. Crisp and hop forward but well balanced. I bought 2 growlers of it to take home and it kept its freshness well!

A magnificent, citrus, somewhat thicker, legendary IPA. What a beer! Find this, buy this, seek this out as it is a masterpiece in the World of craft beer.

Poured from a 16oz can into a teku glass. Pours a little cloudy with a fluffy white head. Smells of citrus, passion fruit, melon and peach. Tastes very citrusy and fruity with a little hop punch at the end. WOW it begs for another sip. This one is a GEM!!

Wow. Just wow. My second ever 5 on BA. Canned on 9/2. Pours an absolutely beautiful murky, hazy, cloudy, orange and peach. The nose is stunning. I could use this stuff as cologne every day. Orange, peach, mango, tangerine, passion fruit, so tropical and citrusy, just bursting out of my tulip. The taste doesn't disappoint. Perfectly sweet orange and peach upfront, transforms into a luscious mango before finishing with juicy tangerine. If the taste wasn't amazing enough, the mouth feel is possibly my favorite of any beer to date. It has a creamy and mouth covering feel that goes down so smooth and leaves a nice bitter tangerine aftertaste in your mouth. Will definitely seek out any tree house I can get my hands on after this experience.

The beer pours an apricot syrup.
As soon as the can is opened dank orangey, papaya fruit rolls out.
Tastes like you are sucking on a citrusy hop starburst. The mouthfeel is deceptively smooth for a beer that is this sticky. Slight dankness, but the most flavor is a pungent sweet orange juice. I would give this beer to someone who says they don't like IPA's because they are too bitter.

Julius is perfection in a glass. I don't know how the guys at TreeHouse do it, but this beer is one of the few that lives up to the hype and surpasses it.

Appearance is a beautiful unfiltered orange color.

Smell is tropical and juicy. Orange is there, but also tropical fruits.

Taste is an explosion of flavor. Orange, Tangerine, and tropical fruit - you name it and it's there. Juicy juicy juicy beer - and with just the right amount of malt backbone behind it. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had. I don't think it's possible to make one better - and I've had almost every top IPA on draft in the US.

If you have the opportunity to get your hands on this beer, do it!

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

An absolutely amazing IPA. This is full of cirtus and so juicy. So glad I finally got a chance to try this beer. Probably the best IPA I have ever had!

Here it is, the last of a 4-pack. I already know it's the best IPA I've ever had, and the only IPA to which I've given all 5s, but now I'll do a formal review. 16 oz. can into a tulip glass.

A - This thing really pours like orange juice. And not Tropicana; I mean the fresh squeezed stuff. It looks like a peach if the skin of a peach were liquefied. It's really an unbelievable color. It just brightens up the room.

N - Peach juice. Tangerine juice. Juicy juicy juicy. It's the juiciest beer I've ever smelled. Not quite sure how they do this.

T - Gosh, the flavors and maltiness and hoppiness are just blended together so perfectly. It's orange hop juice with a hint of alcohol. It's clean on the finish, and just unbelievably drinkable. It's just so damn impressive. And I REALLY don't like IPAs very much. I would drink one of these every day.

M - As with all the rest of the TH line, this thing immediately froth-ifies in my mouth. It coats everywhere and goes down incredibly smoothly. Extremely well-crafted.

O - There you have it, folks. A perfect IPA. A perfect beer.

A fresh pint can poured into a tulip glass. Can is undated but this can is from last weeks release.

Look: Basically looks like a cross between orange and pineapple juice. The pour left about a finger of head which dissipated rather quickly.

Smell: A massive array of tropical fruits

Taste: It's about what you expect from the aroma. Just more and more tropical fruits and get next to no bitterness at the finish

The feel and overall of this beer is off the charts and it is well deserving of it's 100 score on beer advocate.

This beer is something else. The one word that I will forever associate with Julius is FRESH! It tastes so dang fresh. The hops smell as though you were holding them fresh picked in your hands. Seriously. The flavor is off the charts and for a sub 7% abv ipa, it is packed full of hop flavor! With all that being said, this beer isn't a hop bomb like a west coast style. Its well balanced like Heady topper with a touch of sweetness to even things out. One of my favorite IPAs of all time. wow.

Poured from a tallboy can. Comes in a gorgeous hazy orange color. Looks like orange juice with spot on carb and a beautiful fluffy finger and a half of off white head. The nose is hoppy oranges, pineapple, mango, and some pine..the taste follows suit. Wow..what a brilliant beer. Tastes like hoppy orange pineapple juice. I'm blown away. The hype is real. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Might be better than focal banger.

I had this fresh from the can. Absolutely bursting with flavor. It was extremely juicy on the nose and palate with a pleasing thick mouth feel. The finish was more juice balanced with hops.

this is maybe the best their is. pours a dark hazy orange, aroma is just orange and orange zest. mouthfeel is unreal. the taste is epic citrus bursting through and beautiful on the palate. Everytime I have one I am more impressed.

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company