Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,532
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 283 | Hads: 1,994
3.38/5  rDev -27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer.

3.74/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange with a thin white head, not the lighter orange, more juicy color I was expecting
Smells "juicy", mostly of citrus
taste is hoppy and a bit sweet with a slight bitterness at the end of the sip
feel is soft and not overly carbonated
overall, not a beer I'd go out of my way for. I've had it once from a growler and once from the can, both very fresh and it hasn't lived up to it's hype for me.

3.75/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I have had this 3 times now, can, growler, and then growler again.

A: An orange haze, about half an inch of head, retaining well.

S: tropical goodness, lots of orange, mango, papaya.

T: A little hop bitterness up front, slight orange taste, lots of malt flavor, and not very balanced. This leans more towards the malty side, with you wishing there was more of this orange hop flavor that the can suggests.

M: very creamy, moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a huge let-down. I went into acquiring this beer with huge expectations, and thought that maybe my canned version was sub-par so I sought out the growler version. A good IPA at best, don't believe the hype, go after Tree House's other awesome offerings like the Curiosity series, Haze, Double Shot or the elusive Good Morning.

3.86/5  rDev -16.6%

Growler pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus zest, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with earthy, herbal hop flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that has a slightly better hop presence in the flavor in my opinion.

3.92/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Alright. The IPA at the top of the heap for the moment. So stoked to be able to try this. After several cans, I think I'm ready to sketch some thoughts.

Rather than go through the parts, I'll start with the sum: Julius is fruity as hell. But, to my palate, there's just not enough depth of hop flavor, nor balancing bitterness. It suffers under the weight of its richly decadent body, fruity esters combining with sweet malt to make this more like sweetened hop cake than bracing, refreshing IPA. I say all this with some reserve. Julius is not a bad beer in the least. And my guess is that this is exactly the sort of beer the brewers set out to create, so mission accomplished there. For me, though, it just doesn't work as well as so many other beloved IPAs.

Now, as to the parts themselves, Julius is a deep, dark orange in the glass, darn near opaque. Under artificial lighting, it's not especially attractive. It has a nice foamy head to start, though retention isn't great (unlike its intrastate rivals, Trillium, whose brews tend to have head for days). The nose is the strong suit, at least at the start, offering a nice blast of peachy fruitiness, with perhaps some citric notes thrown in too. Unfortunately, once all those dry hop volatiles evaporate, J. gets a bit oversaturatedly fruity and, rather surprisingly, malt forward. Palate is heavy, dense even, and drinkability is not especially high. There's some backing bitterness in there, but it's restrained, letting the fruity esters and hops dominate. In the end, Julius is befitting of its name, reminding me of some tropical-flavored iteration of an Orange Julius, thick, fruity, rich.

So cool to try this brew, which in some ways typifies the NEIPA. For me, I'd gladly sacrifice some of that oversaturated fruitiness for more drinkability and more depth/acuity of flavor. But, for those in the mood for some fruity hop excess, this'll do the trick.

3.92/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I felt like this was a great beer. But I think I may have got an old can from the guy I traded with because I don't feel close to how everyone else seems to feel on this. It just wasn't bursting with all these mango and papaya that I have been reading about. I still think it is a great beer but I believe it to be over-hyped. But I will definitely be seeking this out again to make sure I just didn't get an off can.

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very hazy orange body. Big white head with nice lacing and a chunky collar.

Smell - Orange hops. Metallic sort of aroma. Some toasty malt.

Taste - Tastes much better. Tropical fruits. Orange. Lightly toasty cracker malt. A bit of sweetness backs it up.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Kinda creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is good, but I don't get the crazy high ratings it has. I could definitely drink lots of this and would be happy drinking it all the time, but not sure it's top 50 caliber.

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%

Thank you, Patrick. Canned 11/05.

Pouring a hazy orange with a dense dirty white head with very good retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose is a giant blend of tropical fruit with mango, papaya, passionfruit , cooked oranges, fleshy, pulpy and delicious. Doughy malt is present. The palate opens with a riot of hop flavor, just tons and tons of fruit. Mango, peach, papaya, baked oranges galore with a definite doughy malt character, a little bit like cereal? Not unlike other New England IPAs I've has on this trip east, it's a little messy, lacing in the clean bitterness that ties together ask the hop flavors. What bitterness is present is a little minty/ spruce like, interesting but a touch unfocused. Medium in body ruth a beautiful creamy carbonation, this beer had a long finish, mostly fruity with a little bitterness on the finish. Interestingly, the bitterness does also have a mild astringency, mildly aspirin like. Solid. I'd drink a ton if I could.

Thanks to mdr4669 for these cans washing up on the shores of maximum12. Had a few samplers of Treehouse at tastings, but this is my first full pour. 16 oz. yellow/orange can that you won’t lose in the woods.

The pour is a well carbonated & dense orange. As advertised, this smells like a hot, barefoot afternoon on Terre-de-Haut. The only fruit that jumps out in the nose is orange, but maybe that’s just a byproduct of the eyeful I’m getting.

Julius is juicy. Whatever the taste, this beer is dripping with extra liquidity, & seems to stimulate my drool buds rather oddly. Bursting with fruitiness defined by peach for me, with low census counts of orange, citrus. Then the ends sticks you with a piney bitterness that lingers far longer than the career of anyone names Swarzak. Certainly easy to gulp, as this sixteen ounces isn’t going to live long.

In name & style, this wouldn’t seem out of place in another eastern breweries’ lineup (though that place is well south of Treehouse). This doesn’t reach into the holy firmament of IPAs for my palate, but the stickiness & staying power make it a really good beer.

750 into a HotD tulip. Filled 11/28/14.

Definitely juicy. A little dank(?) but not in a bad way, just unique. Nice balance of hop and malt. This is good but not as mind blowing as I hoped. Happy I had the chance to try it but not sure I'd seek it out again. Perhaps a little fresher and it would be amazing.

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass.

Very strong citrus flavor and definitely on the tropical fruit spectrum. Could be just me, but wasn't entirely what I expected. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but wasn't super impressed because, although the flavor was there, I was hoping for a little bit more of the hoppy bite. The citrus flavor was probably a bit too strong for my liking, but that obviously doesn't take away from this as being a finely crafted beer. Will say that I found the Curiosity 15 to be more to my liking.

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Growler shared by biggsbowler. Clear light yellow pour with a white head. Grapefruit hop aromas. Big grapefruit hop notes dominate. Sturdy malt backbone. Very good mouthfeel with a good body.

4.06/5  rDev -12.3%

Pour is dark orange, extremely cloudy, with lots of white head, some large bubbles, decent retention, and a thick lace. Nose is heavy mango and citrus, with a bit of mango rind, lightly earthy, with notes of grapefruit. Flavor profile follows the nose to a T. Tons of tropical fruit, mango and grapefruit, with a citrus blast, low bitterness, a mostly creamy feel, a touch granule towards the back end with aggressive carbonation. Bitterness creeps up a little through the finish and lingers a touch.

4.08/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks to jtdolla911 for this one. Enjoyed this the night before EBF Session 2.

Poured from a 750ml swingtop growler.

Looks quite nice with an orange-gold body, quite hazy and some drooping lace. Melon, mango and orange are predominant in the aroma. Flavor is very creamy, green hops, bitter but not too much, lush mango and tropical fruit, fleshy orange. Not an in your face IPA but has marked fruit flavors which make it delicious.

4.1/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Murky and glowing – like polished copper and sunshine

N: Tangerines and garden cucumbers

T: Julius is well balanced and drinkable - it smacks of juicy peaches and overripe honeydew melons

M: Medium carbonation (served from a growler) and awfully dry

O: Made for Central Park picnics and afternoons by the lake

4.14/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3rd try, once from a growler and twice from a can. This batch 10/6. Pours an opaque peachy, vitamin water color with 1/2 finger of tan head and nice lacing. Smell bursts with tropical fruit, peach, mango and passion fruit. Taste is more carbonated fresh squeezed orange/pineapple juice and less tropical/mango. Not world class for sure but certainly very good.

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky dark orange. It doesn't get by on its looks, but it does have nice fluffy off white head. Faint aroma of melon. Definitely get a lot of melon, honey, and honey dew in the taste. A little bit of papaya and bitterness on the finish. Flavor is a bit underwhelming and lacks some of the juicy intensity that I enjoy, but it has a very nice soft mouthfeel. Overall, I like Julius, but it's far from the best IPA I've had and it's definitely not the best beer I've had from Tree House.

UPDATE: I am getting more citrus and a touch of bitterness. However, there's still some jello like sweetness from the combination of malt and mouthfeel that's kind of off putting.

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%

Growler shared by drewone - Thanks.

A: Pours a hazy light-orange with an initial quarter-inch thick white head which fades to the rim leaving splotchy lace. (Possibly being biased here with the score due to a growler pour - but that is how it is).

N: Really nice tangerine, orange, and grapefruit present inside the zest. Tropical fruits also in the mix (passion). Floral and fruity. Really nice.

T: Balanced malts and hops. An enjoyable soapy-like quality with the up-front citrus.

M: Moderate body and barely medium carbonation (growler, yes). Not overly bitter or dry finish.

O: Nice with the best being the aroma. Interesting how a lot of east coasters seem to score this high. Not a west coaster style, but still a treat.

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

To be completely upfront on my review:

This was acquired in a trade that was 'completed' around Jan 20, 2015 -- sent USPS. The package 'disappeared' from the tracking info within two weeks. They told the shipper it was gone, undeliverable, discarded.

Well, it showed up on my doorstep on May 19, 2015, box smashed to hell. BUT!! This one, the one I was looking forward to most in the beermail, made it! I didn't expect much, hell...a growler, 4 months old, undoubtedly sitting somewhere not refrigerated for the longest time...but then, I popped the cap after a night's chill in my fridge.

*slight gush* Oh my....there's still carb in this bad boy! Enough for a finger and a half or so of head upon pour. And it smells of fresh melons still!

The flavor was great on it as well, although probably not as sharp as Treehouse intended due to its origins, journey, and age. But it was still delicious! I would love to try this one fresh, now that I've had it in its pitiful, but beautiful, state as it was.

100% impressed even with the one that I got, a beer that I'll be thrilled to try again, especially in a can.

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't get me wrong - this is a fantastic IPA bursting with tropical fruit and citrus. However, with the hype behind it, I expected something a bit more. It was outshined by the double dry hopped fort point I had the same night. Drinks a bit thin, but it's very smooth and absurdly crushable.

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%

16oz can into a snifter - 8 days old

L - Hazy orange juice. thick viscous pour, thin head but heavy lacing
S - Bitter orange juice with overtones of something else - reminds me very faintly of acetone? Something volatile, but I don't think it is anything fusel
T - Straight up orange juice to begin, with softly bitter hops coming in at the finish. Somewhat sweet malts, and again just a hint of something volatile I just can't place. Less perceptible as it warms up.
F - Very soft velvety carb. Medium bodied but smooth as silk

Overall, a very, very good beer, but with just a hint of something that is holding me back from going nuts. Very good none the less, but there is a volatile, varnishy / thinners note to the aroma and the back of the palate that detracts slightly.

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can from the brewery, a few days old.

So here it is, the next in the lineage of famous/infamous semi-hard-to-get IPAs, instantly joining the ranks of Pliny and Heady, loved by the truest snobs when it's rare, and shunned by the same once everyone has had it. ;)

Attractive pour, cloudy orange-yellow, with a nicely-retaining white head. Hop-laden aroma, as would be expected, pithy, tropical, dash of ammonia. Citrus and tropical fruit in the taste, piney bitterness, and some fruit-candy sweetness as well, complementing the slightly sugary malt profile. Crisp mouthfeel, medium body, lasting hop bite. Overhyped to hell, but still very nice IPA overall. I'll take a Heady or Sunshine over this any day.

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750mL growler I picked up at the brewery yesterday, the beer is a bright, hazed, opaque, orange-copper coloring with a filmy, clingy, sparse white head that coats the glass as you drink. Aromas of grapefruit tart and sweet, pineapple, pine and resin hops characteristics, subtle bready backbone, lemon zest and orange peel. Flavors of grapefruit and passion fruit on the forward tongue, with a mango/pineapple sweet follow, a subtle sweetbread backbone, and then a slow build of pine pitch, resiny hops profiles, and a touch of roasted characteristics. The roast helps to cut the building bitter and robust characteristics, keeping the beer very drinkable. Robust, smooth brew with a tart, drying finish. The aftertaste is a heavy blend of tropical fruits, with a grassy, piney undertone. Very robust brew, yet extremely drinkable. Great flavors, and worth the trip to the brewery!

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL growler poured into a pint glass

The body sits a bright orange color with a cloudy appearance. A firm two finger off-white cap rose and fell slowly, leaving some sheeting lace covering the glass.

Bright oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, and tropical fruit--mangoes and pineapples, primarily. The fruits leap out of the glass. Some lightly toasted malt provide a firm foundation.

Sweet, juicy tropical and citrus fruits coat the palate. Waves of mangoes, pineapple, grapefruit, oranges, and tangerines. A blanket of malt hangs in the back. A very mild bitterness comes in late and lingers for a little while. The focus her is more on the juicy, sweet fruit and not the bitterness.

Smooth, medium body with a mild lingering bitterness that is counterbalanced by the big sweet fruit notes.

A very nice IPA in all aspects. I would prefer more bitterness to really fall in love, but that would be splitting hairs. This is a very nice beer.

4.21/5  rDev -9.1%

Looks like tropicana. Smells intensely citrus/tropical fruits. Taste is is too bitter for my taste, with the good elements of the smell falling a bit to the wayside in favor of intense bitterness and a bit of caramel sweetness.

It's a good beer, but the bitterness is overdone and the flavor is disappointing in comparison to the aroma.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company