Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 402 | Ratings: 2,682
4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a pillowy soft lacy head, Amber in color, grapefruit on the nose, soft mouth feel, I can taste grapefruit mango with hint of orange fruity lingering aftertaste! At times but not always makes my mouth water like no beer ever has!!! Love this beer my obsession right now can't get enough!!!

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is just fantastic as I have had it many times.

Canned 4/12/16 and drank on 5/3/16. I echo what a lot of people seem to say about Julius FROM A CAN as it is best drank right before 3 weeks. If you get it in a growler, please god drink it fast as it doesn't last as long.

Looks like the lighter yellow/orange color on the can in a glass. Smell is just incredible when it is 3 weeks out like it literally smells like a ripe tangerine. Mouth feel is just a tad watery compared to other DIPAs and other unique beers they offer. Taste is just ... it is what I love about Tree House. It's all about that creamy mouth feel as no other brewery does it quite like TH. Also please people, let this beer warm up for 30 minutes outside the fridge ... it opens it up dramatically and makes the experience that much better.

Overall. I'm spoiled. I get to drive 1 hour to TH when I want thanks to a flexible work schedule and get these when I feel like it. This beer should be on your bucket list and it is worth it to travel to TH at least once. Great people and great beer.

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 5/2/16

Huge thanks to Goblinmunkey7 for the hookup

A: Pale orange with tangerine and honey around the edges - murky and turbid, as one would expect from any Tree House IPA - pours with a medium-sized, white head, fades to a wispy cap, maintains a small collar and leaves spots and streaks of lacing

S: In a word, juice - or maybe a cup of fruit soaked in fruit juice - extraordinarily juicy, bursting with citrus and tropical fruits - orange and tangerine flesh, juice, with some ruby red grapefruit - floral and flowery citrus - hop resin - fleshy chunks of tropical fruits, including melon, mango, passion fruit, and pineapple - touch of herbal hop aroma as this warms up - some light bread at the base - vaguely sweet-smelling, but it may just be the fruity aromas

T: Basically, this is effervescent tropical fruit juice, just with some additional complexity - waves of citrus, with tangerine, orange, and ruby red grapefruit juice, flesh, touches of zest - some herbal and flowery flavors - huge tropical component, with mango, melon, pineapple, and a touch of stone fruit - low to medium bitterness with some lingering oily bitterness - malts at the base lend some hints of bread and light crackers - mostly dry

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth and "fuzzy," mostly dry but also lightly oily finish

O: Is canning tropical fruit juice and calling it beer an ethical thing to do?

I've been excited to try this one for quite some time. Did it live up to the hype? Well, my head did not explode after my first sip, so I guess not... Julius is quite lovely, but I might actually prefer it's alter ego (appropriately named Alter Ego). The fruit juice aroma and flavor is amazing, but the fruitiness is almost one dimensional. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws. Just find this and drink it for yourself.

4.42/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Really good, but not even close to top 10 beer in the world. Very cloudy, almost wheat-like. Tropical but almost too much so. It's like an orange juice/IPA blend. Glad I got to try it but for the cost, will not be seeking out again.

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good, juicy IPA that is very drinkable, it's just not that interesting/complex with the flavor. It's pretty much has all citrus and mango tasting notes with a nice bitter hit of hops that isn't overpowering. Is it the best IPA out there? No. I prefer an IPA that can give you some piney, dank and even sour flavors. Is it the best one dimensional juice bomb of an IPA? Quite possibly.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this after drinking swish, alter ego, trillium, and sos over a two day period. Although all were exceptional, this was the standout. Pours hazy and deeper orange than most NE ipa's. Smell is full of mango, melon, lemon, and citrus. One of the more juicier ipas in terms of taste. Feel is spot-on for the style. Medium carb and body.

This beer is an easy 5. There is nothing like it and Treehouse really sets the standard for Juicy IPA's.
Pours a bright hazy orange with about a half finger of head. This beer looks and smells like orange juice...but way better...its insane...it smells insane. The taste follows suit with a mild grassy hop bitterness that compliments this beer in every way but for the most part it's all juice...pillowy soft ridiculous hoppy juice. I'm sure this beer isn't for everyone but it is for me. I still prefer Green over Julius but to me they are both world class beers.

Drank a 1 day old Julius picked up from Tree House.

It's really hard to find any flaws with this. Nice haze/turbid appearance, with orange juice color. Aroma is delightfully citrusy. Juicy taste! Mange, passion fruit, citrus in general. Super smooth and crushable end. In my opinion, best IPA out there. Can't really imagine how this IPA can be improved upon.

3.83/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Growler from 4/14/2016.

Appearance - The appearance is every bit as hazy as Tree House's reputation portends. The beer itself has a pretty sunburst color, almost radiant even, which may even be accentuated by the opaqueness of the liquid. It essentially resembles pineapple juice. The head is clumpy and dense and leaves a blanket of lace behind as it recedes.

Aroma - The aroma is pungent and fresh, ripe with tropical notes and a toss of grass and perhaps the slightest hint of green onion. Mango and pineapple lead the way on the tropical front.

Taste - The flavor very much resembles the aroma, especially the mango and even some passion fruit. Except here, I'm not getting that overwhelming juiciness that made the aroma so enticing. It just seems muted and a bit more grassiness comes through, especially in the finish where a hop bite is starkly noticeable.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is actually very nice and fits perfectly with the the style and the hops. It is soft and pillowy, allowing the flavors to slowly rest and develop on the palate. I would perhaps want a little more carbonation, but it's possible the canned version displays more.

Closing Arguments - Overall this a solid IPA for sure. I tried this in a blind tasting a few weeks ago and it finished near the bottom of the pack (in a field of other impressive IPAs, to be fair), but I wanted to give it another look with a fresh palate. My thoughts now echo mine then - a nice beer but not one that lives up to the hype or trouble needed to get it. In defense of Tree House, we had Lights On that same tasting and it was the near unanimous winner in its field, so this isn't a hit piece on Tree House.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I waited in a line for two hours to buy this beer-my expectations were high; disappointment was almost inevitable, but I am happy report that from the first smell to the last swallow, this was one of the best beers I have ever had. Who would have thought hops could produce so a bouquet of aroma. How the heck are these guys so ahead of everyone else-and yes I am talking about Trillium and Nightshift, and even those hallowed brewing concerns in VT. All hail Julius!!!

3.62/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This isn't a beer, it's a gimmick. OK, it is a beer by definition, but it's still a gimmick. The bright fruitiness is infatuating, but lacks the complexities of other beers in the category (American DIPA).

Tasted 2 weeks after purchasing fresh from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass, and let warm up a few minutes. It's a great beer, not sure if it's worth the effort or price. Copious amount of late addition hops don't create the complexity that other DIPAs have. The rage is really about the fruitiness, insanely intense flavors, without the bitterness.

L: Opaque/cloudy, this is the new normal for this region and I'm still getting used to it. Orangish copper. This amount of cloudiness makes me nervous about the yeast farts I'll have later tonight. I actually wonder if it really is suspended yeast or maybe they mixed some highly refined flour into the beer or something. (I've had some of this beer that sat for several months before tasting and it was just as cloudy and limited sediment)
S: No different from the other reviewers: tropical fruits such as passion fruit (or, passion fruit nectar, I've never smelled real passion fruit), apricot, and a hint of pine tree resin. Still nervous about the smell of the farts I may have later. Good thing I'm already married.
T: Lots of tropical/Hawaiian fruit nectar, but a bit more bitter than nectar. I kind of feel like if I want a glass of tropical fruit or Hawaiian fruit juice I would get a glass of that. But this is drier, not crisp but balanced. As the flavor dissipates, piney notes come forward. Then you get the bitterness. But not a lot.
M: Thick. It's dry so doesn't leave a residue, though there is some oiliness from all the hops, and the flavor lingers a long time.
O: There's a lot of hype about this beer. But it's clearly a trick of late hopping a copious amount of hops. The flavor is unique compared to other high profile American DIPAs, but there isn't a complexity that I would expect.

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

As good as it gets... Smell is just absolutely ridiculous. Pour looks like orange juice as many have said. If I had to pick one beer for the rest of my life, not sure I would pick anything over this.... Great job treehouse..

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The much-ballyhooed Julius. Well, on this site anyway lol. L: hazy orange juice with a bit of muddled brown tones. S: dayum! Smell jumps out at you. Papaya, mango, lots of citrus, sharp hops, hint of sweet malt. T: nice fruit tones, very tropical, plenty of bitterness from hops, nice touch of malt. F: creamy and medium-full. O: excellent.

Just ridiculously incredible in every way. Looks like a glass of extra pulp orange juice with a ton of lacing. It smells like a tropical fruit smoothy and tastes even better. The mouthfeel is creamy and prefect. It blows my mind that one brewery can make so many perfect beers. This is at the top of the list with king j, doppelganger, and very hazy.

4.34/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a growler, that sat for 1 day.

Pours a bright hazy goldenrod. With a striking white head.

Smells juicy and fruity. Almost more peach and mango than citrus.

Hits the pallet with a burst of juice. Sweet and fruity, once again more mango and peach notes then citrus. The mid pallet is pleasantly grassy, and it leaves just a hint of pine bite at the end. The juiciness lingers in the mouth with a hint of hop character.

Given the number of times I have used juicy in this review Julius is not just a cleaver name. Either that, or the name provides an incredible priming effect.

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Yellow to light orange in color, with a bright white head. Pours massive and settles but is easy coaxed out by swirling. Leaves minimal lace. Hazy appearance as well
S: Tons of citrus, orange and grapefruit, touches of mango as well. Sweet melon as well, with honey sweetness.
T: Citric acid tartness, with that earthy bitterness associated with grapefruit. Other tropical fruit notes as well, pineapple, mango, and peach. Finishes with a nice sweet, almost toasty granola like malt profile.
F: Creamy, with is a nice offset to help the bitterness finish smoother. Full mouthfeel yet light, goes back easy.
O: Finally get around to review this. Just an incredible beer.

4.27/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Damn, that passionfruit aroma. Massive juicy fruit with a milder, balanced bitterness. Very hazy, like a hefe. There's a floral character running through with almost a lavender edge. Unlike anything I've ever drank.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Julius is a longtime want of mine. Amazing sweet citrus combined with hops. My one and only complaint is that it's just slightly sweet syrup mouthfeel. Still an incredible beer without a doubt. Real mango here.

Julius has a lot of head with an orange coloring. There is a fruity and orange smell. The taste is to no surprise is full of orange juice! Overall, I would advise to get this if you *surprise* enjoy orange juice and if you don't; then skip it.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The flagship! After trying green and alter ego, and blown away by both let's see what this is about. I might make a few comparisons to green and alter ego.

Pour is a cloudy, hazy straw like orange. No light getting through this one. White tight bubbled head, beautiful lacing just like the rest of the tree houses. More bright orange than green and alter ego though. More orange juice appearance.

Citrus juice bomb soon as you crack the can. However, unlike alter ego and green, I'm getting more of a bitter hop resin with this one. More noticable malt in the nose as well. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still getting loads of fruit. Oranges, peaches, pineapples, tangerines. Just not as a pronounced fruit smell as the other two.

Taste is definitely not as tropical bomb foward as green or alter ego, definitely more citrusy and resinous. The hop resin sticks to your tongue for a while, and the bready malt has a nice bite. Very subtle oranges and lemon zest.

Still has the signature mouthfeel as the other two I've tried. Pretty creamy, medium bodied and dole-like juice character.

From only trying alter ego and green, I'd say this is my least favorite out the two. More of a traditional tasting IPA with hop resin, and bready malt as the main characteristics. Still slightly tropical, but nothing over the top with the fruitiness. Still a world class beer in its own right.

I love it when a beer lives up the hype and boy does this one do exactly that. It's easily the easiest drinking, hoppy IPA I have ever had. And it truly does look like a glass of OJ. Absolutely world class

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer,
I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. This happened to me while drinking this beer. And the overwhelming citrus notes sure did sting my nose on the way out. But now I'm enlightened. So I have that going for me.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thanks a lot to my brother for sharing this 2 Liter growler with me! I enjoyed this from a taster and willybecker.

The color is bright orange with thick haze and thick frothy white head with copious lace that sticks. The smell is very orange-like with citrus having a bright and fragrant aroma with mild herbal quality in a raw hop-type smell. The feel is very good with mostly hop resins with moderate carbonation and medium body with semi-low bitterness for the style with mild sweetness into the finish which is mostly dry.

The flavor is good with a intense amount of hop flavor with citrus flavors and slight tropical almost tangerine-like quality but not very acidic or bitter just juicy and lightly sweet in the middle without any definitive malt flavor just a balance to the mildly bitter herbal hop flavor which verges on grassy or vegetal as it finishes on the dry side. This is a highly drinkable Ipa -the hops really shine with low bitterness that makes it almost to easy to drink a large amount of.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the can into a snifter. Traded for this and was stoked to finally get one.

Pours a hazy OJ looking juice bomb beautfulness. Thick head with sticky lacing. Looks like a great NE IPA.

Smells like a juice bomb. Notes of pineapple, citrus, and a hint of dank/hops.

Tastes like it smells. Amazing juice forward IPA with hints of hoppiness and fruits exploding in your mouth.

Feels unfiltered, a touch of grit, a great mouth feel for this beer style.

Overall I love this beer. Is it worth the hype and how hard I worked to find it? Yes, it is. Great looking can. Amazing nose. Great juice bomb taste. I wish I could get more tree house beers.

This is my first Tree House beer and I have to say it lives up to the hype. Incredibly hazy from the abundance of hops makes it as opaque as any quality stout. It smells like an orchard of citrus trees. Julius tastes just as it looks almost like orange juice. The flavor profiles for me come in three waves first with the hops up front, then a smooth as silk water, then a slight return of the hops at the end. Extremely complex yet balanced. Julius makes me want to move to Massachusetts. This is my favorite beer of all time. Cheers!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company