Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,434
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 241 | Hads: 1,749
4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

16 ounce can bottled about 1 month ago. Poured a hazy golden orange with a solid white head. Nice lacing. Fantastic smell: citrus (orange and mango). Very smooth. Tons of citrus. Lots of orange taste. Minimal earthy hops. I truly enjoy this. Would highly recommend trying if you ever get the chance.

4.28/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent. But not world class. Yes, I would agree it indeed smells and tastes like orange juice in the beer form. Very earthy. Feel is top notch.

4.21/5  rDev -9.1%

Looks like tropicana. Smells intensely citrus/tropical fruits. Taste is is too bitter for my taste, with the good elements of the smell falling a bit to the wayside in favor of intense bitterness and a bit of caramel sweetness.

It's a good beer, but the bitterness is overdone and the flavor is disappointing in comparison to the aroma.

4.24/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Derek for the chance to try this beer.

Julius pours a somewhat hazy/cloudy light orange color with good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, I get considerable orange citrus, with a hint of underlying gingersnap and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this well balanced, not particularly hoppy IPA. There is a considerable amount of tropical fruit as well, but the sweetness is nicely buoyed and balanced by the hops in this easy to enjoy and appreciate IPA. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability is terrific.

A very nice IPA, but as with Masala Mama some years ago, I'm a bit puzzled by the lofty review scores I see on BA. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but a score of 100? Really? That makes no sense to me. Whatever, this is still a very fine, well crafted IPA from Tree House.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured a golden-orange haze from the can and it looked fantastic. The nose was wonderful with just a bounty of citrus flowing from it. Oranges really stand out to me. The body was just like orange juice beer. It tastes so juicy and refreshing and sweet with a light bitterness at the end. Really really crushable and a fantastic beer from Tree House!

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a can, this beer was a bright golden-orange color with a good bit of haze and a frothy eggshell white head on top. This head stuck around awhile and mellowed slow leaving great lacing. The moment the can popped open the aroma of pineapple, citric, dank, pine resiny hops all filled the air and the release over the glass was intense. Some mango, and fresh bread and light honey aromas also came to mind. The flavor was a super drinkable citrusy, dank burst of fresh hops curtaining over a smooth, sweet malt base. The pineapple and mango tropical notes were clear in the taste too. A smooth beer with light carbonation and mellow bitter finish. Lots of flavor going on here and a top tier American IPA!! I am so glad I picked some up at the brewery and have been happily sharing it. Wish Treehouse brewery was closer.

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cheers to Adam for getting this divine nectar to me. Poured from a fresh can into a snifter.

A - This is really the only thing I could fault this beer for. It's pure orange juice in appearance, which is lovely, but doesn't leave much room for comment. Decent head retention and lacing. But this isn't what you drink Julius for, anyway.

S - Here we go. This beer is insane. Massive tropical notes in the nose: mango, pineapple, melon, and a healthy dose of citrus as well.

T - At it's gravity, this is the juiciest, most full flavored IPA I've ever had the pleasure of trying. Delivers perfectly on all the promises made by the aroma. Finish is delicate and complex. Wow.

M - Thick and substantial, but ultimately quite drinkable.

O - Again, for 6.8%, this is the best standard IPA I've ever had. Really just incredible. Now to work on a clone recipe!

Had a growler from Tree House. Really unlike almost any other IPA I've ever had. Pours out like orange juice and smells like it too. A total juicebomb, slightly dank, super drinkable....one of my favorite single IPA's...

4.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can. Pours a yellow orange opaque color with a full finger of fluffy white head that lingered for a while with nice lacing. Beautiful looking American pale ale. Smells of oranges, mangos and other citrus fruits I cannot identify. Want to say pink grapefruit. Little hop smell too. Taste is super citrus forward with a rush of mango and oranges. Little hop bitterness on the back in but overpowered by the citrus. Really juicy. Definitely more hoppy as it warms up and you drink it. Really good but I'm not giving it a 100. Thicker than most imperial pale ales. Almost like a thin stout. Really drinkable. You could down a case on a hot summer day. Ready glad I got to try this. Excellent juice bomb.

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Look: A deep murky orange
Smell: Huge citrus notes with orange the overwhelming aroma
Taste: Again, citrus, orange primarily with strong hop flavor and a strong malt backbone.
Feel: Creamy malt, well carbonated.

Overall, I love this beer. I hope to get some more in the future.

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Looks like thick pieapple juice. Color is cloudy orangish yellow.
Smells like tart orange/lemon juice
Has a very juicy orange flavor for an IPA. Super thick, viscous palette. I guess the huge amounts of hops and there resin make this a surreal in-your-face IPA experience.

4.44/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden orange with a thick milkshake head. The nose is fresh squeezed orange juice. Goes down so smooth. Citrus, fresh naval oranges, and subtle pine resin notes. Delicious!

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: looks like juice...orange and murky, lovely. S: fruity, oranges, some tropical fruit. T: did I say juice? Tropical fruits, nice citrus presence...delicious. M: creamy, on the heavy side for an IPA. O: this is my new favorite IPA...just a delight...

The beer pours an apricot syrup.
As soon as the can is opened dank orangey, papaya fruit rolls out.
Tastes like you are sucking on a citrusy hop starburst. The mouthfeel is deceptively smooth for a beer that is this sticky. Slight dankness, but the most flavor is a pungent sweet orange juice. I would give this beer to someone who says they don't like IPA's because they are too bitter.

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Received in a trade, only 8 days old.

I have to start by saying this beer does not look as pretty as most in a glass. It is super hazy.
Besides that, this brew is amazing.
It starts off with great tropical aromas, but when you taste it you can tell why it is so highly rated. The malt in this beer tastes great, light and biscuity, and after only a few seconds it gives way to those juicy, tropical hops.
The balance is amazing.
Another great New England beer, sorry West coast, but I think your time is up.

4.31/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really enjoyable and drinkable, but honestly I was a touch underwhelmed following the hype this has. I definitely preferred Sap, but I wouldn't turn Julius down!

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: You know it's Julius. Cloudy, tangerine color.

S: Bright, citrusy, juicy.

T: Tropical and citrusy. Unfortunately it's almost to the point where it reminds me of Tang.

F: Creamy for an IPA. I would prefer a little more of a bite.

O: I can understand the hype behind this beer with all-natural ingredients producing a lot of flavor. Sometimes enough is enough and subtleties are more appreciated though.

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had this a couple times before, but got a handful of really fresh cans from BA wuntrikpony, and after cracking a couple this weekend, I was inspired to write down my thoughts. Enjoyed out of the "new" can design with a canning date of 9/2. Poured into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

Appearance (4.25) - Right off the bat, the appearance is somewhat self-contradictory. On one hand, I might describe it as "murky", given the fact that the liquid is saturated with particulate, which prevents any ability to see through the glass whatsoever. However, one doesn't usually associate the word "murky" with something as vibrant and glowingly bright as the color of Julius. A golden orange hue beams out of the glass, as if the liquid is absorbing and then projecting all the sunlight it absorbs. If I didn't know better, I would say I just poured a glass of orange juice from this beer can. The head is a creamy, towering three and a half fingers of off-white that retains for several minutes before slinking away to reveal swaths of sticky lace and a persistent presence of moderately thick film across the surface of the liquid.

Smell (4.5) - The aroma wafting out of the can upon first cracking it is incredibly enticing, with veins of orange zest, sweet grapefruit and clementine, balanced/complemented by an fainter undercurrent of herbal notes, reminiscent of basil, thyme, and perhaps even some hints of floral nectar. But the citrus is clearly the star of this. Malt is only present enough to provide a little bready foundation for the fruity hop notes to shine.

Taste (4.75) - I know it's not terribly descriptive, but WOW. I'm simply floored by how seamlessly the explosion of citrus and tropical fruit integrates with herbal notes--nothing bitter like pine or spruce, but more like basil or maybe marjoram. Tangerine and sweet grapefruit come through the most, but there is plenty of dryness to balance out the perception of the sweeter flavor profiles. Upon subsequent drinks, I start to get some mango and perhaps nectarine to balance out the citrus.

Mouthfeel (4.75) - Medium-bodied and moderate carbonation, with a juicy feel that finishes dry.

Overall (4.75), this might be my favorite IPA. It's juicy and fruity but with plenty of counterbalance to avoid it becoming one-note. I could drink multiple in a single setting if I had ample supply, but I tend to try and stretch it to no more than one per day so that I can truly enjoy everything that it has to offer. A fantastic beer from Tree House and one that I'm so glad they started to can. I plan on trying to continue trading for this into the future.

Wow. Just wow. My second ever 5 on BA. Canned on 9/2. Pours an absolutely beautiful murky, hazy, cloudy, orange and peach. The nose is stunning. I could use this stuff as cologne every day. Orange, peach, mango, tangerine, passion fruit, so tropical and citrusy, just bursting out of my tulip. The taste doesn't disappoint. Perfectly sweet orange and peach upfront, transforms into a luscious mango before finishing with juicy tangerine. If the taste wasn't amazing enough, the mouth feel is possibly my favorite of any beer to date. It has a creamy and mouth covering feel that goes down so smooth and leaves a nice bitter tangerine aftertaste in your mouth. Will definitely seek out any tree house I can get my hands on after this experience.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Deep orange. Very little head; 1/8 inch but fairly creamy. No transparency.
Smell: Fresh citrus hop aroma; blood orange (passionfruit?). Slight brown sugar richness.
Taste: Pretty rich; brown sugar thing going on. Definitely more of a bitter orange peel flavor than some citrusy beers. Fairly bitter bite to it.
Feel: Smooth mouth covering but that bitterness hits the back of the tongue a little aggressively.
Overall: Unique among the style. Richer (maltier?) than most. Very delicious though, well balanced throughout but can't call it a 5 because of that off bitterness.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When you first pour the beer you see the bright orange color and immediate smell the citrus. Definitely what you would expect looking at the can. The hazy beer drinks super smooth with just the right amount of bitterness as it finishes. Love it every time I get the chance to have one. Cheers

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

3.92/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I felt like this was a great beer. But I think I may have got an old can from the guy I traded with because I don't feel close to how everyone else seems to feel on this. It just wasn't bursting with all these mango and papaya that I have been reading about. I still think it is a great beer but I believe it to be over-hyped. But I will definitely be seeking this out again to make sure I just didn't get an off can.

4.32/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful hazy orange color. Good mango, citrus aroma. Poor malt body and a harsh lingering bitterness. Good IPA, probably even wonderful, but not earthshatteringly awesome.

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company