Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,360
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 196 | Hads: 1,599
4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Amazing. Looks like orange juice and smells like tropical fruit juice. I want this with my wheaties every morning. Taste almost follows the nose perfectly, very tropical. Feel is very nice and medium bodied, carbonation is perfect too. (235 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This was my first Tree House beer, and holy cow was it awesome. I was lucky enough to have a buddy that had a few different ones for me to try. This first one didn't disappoint at all. It was like Orange Juice. Super easy drinking, and easily one of the top beers I've had. (277 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Such a delicious beer, hazy, citriusy, so excised they started canning this, had it in a growler and looking forward to getting some cans soon. Awesome to see Treehouse growing so quickly, hopefulyl they start doing distro soon. (228 characters)

4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange color, looks like orange juice. Smells like juicy, tropical fruit with a dank hint. Taste follows with some sweet juicy fruits like orange and papaya. Body feels very smooth but not heavy. Very balanced IPA, doesn't seem bitter at all for me, just a lot of hops in the taste and aroma but with a moderate amount of bitterness, just to balance the beer. (364 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -5.1%

Great beer, didn't quite live up to the hype for me. It's a fantastic, well balanced IPA. But for something rated this highly I expected a lot more hop flavor and aroma. Look and mouthfeel are perfect. Taste and smell just didn't have that "WOW" factor a lot of other northeast IPAs have. (288 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My god. Julius is the man! the aroma of this isn't over powering, but it not going to kick you in the vag/nuts like some super hop aroma beers, but it's still something I would love in candle scent for my flat. This isn't a tea bag you in the mouth IPA, this isn't super malty like some regular IPAs can be, but it's just a very well balanced IPA. I'm not a big IPA fan but this hit the spot for me. Being in Tampa, I'm used to the maltier IPAs, so this was a refreshing change. I love the look of this. Nice and hazy. It felt great as Julius danced on my tongue and slid down my throat with little burn. (604 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer. (944 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -10.7%

16oz can into a snifter - 8 days old

L - Hazy orange juice. thick viscous pour, thin head but heavy lacing
S - Bitter orange juice with overtones of something else - reminds me very faintly of acetone? Something volatile, but I don't think it is anything fusel
T - Straight up orange juice to begin, with softly bitter hops coming in at the finish. Somewhat sweet malts, and again just a hint of something volatile I just can't place. Less perceptible as it warms up.
F - Very soft velvety carb. Medium bodied but smooth as silk

Overall, a very, very good beer, but with just a hint of something that is holding me back from going nuts. Very good none the less, but there is a volatile, varnishy / thinners note to the aroma and the back of the palate that detracts slightly. (783 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

I finally got my hands on Julius back in July. Smells just like pineapple and orange juice. Pours a typical East Coast IPA hazy yellow which I really like. Tastes so good and refreshing, so citrusy and smooth. I could enjoy this beer on the hottest summer day or cold winter evening. Highly recommended. (303 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +3.4%

Look: Orange juice like yellow haze, nice frothy white head and a very sexy noticeable lacing on the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Orange and mango, tropical fruit goodness and fresh cut grass. Smell is super enticing.

Taste: Orange citrus, papaya, mango, small amounts of sugary pineapple with a grassy/floral balance. Super juicy! tastes absolutely delicious.

Feel: Medium body with a super clean finish. Almost like cream in your mouth.

Overall: This beer deserves every good rating ever given to it. Better than the other hype IPA's by far. (551 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer because it is always such an easy drinker.

The color is a dark orange, which fits well with how much tropical fruit and citrus you get off of it.

Smells like citrus, papaya, mango all sorts of tropical fruit. The taste is incredible, all of that fruit smell just showing up and man is it fresh. You swear you're not drinking a beer, especially one that is hovering on 7% ABV.

Top notch product here! (419 characters)

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own. (490 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a phenomenal experience! Pours a gorgeous dark orange haze. The smell of orange zest, citrus and mango is overwhelming. An extremely well-balanced, smooth, creamy finish with a hint of pine. This beer absolutely lives up to it's hype. If you're lucky enough to live within driving distance of the brewery, do yourself a favor and visit. You won't regret it. (369 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Maybe I got an old can but this brew is good but not as outstanding as everyone says it is. It's very drinkable but so are many other beers I've had that are much easier to get. I definitely want to try this again so it can get another shot at my Top 10 (253 characters)

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone. (611 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from two 16oz cans into a snifter (when sharing) and a tulip (self serve). Pours very hazy/cloudy with a white head that fades away but not quickly. The color is head on with orange juice or the light orange feature of the can. So much tropical fruit with orange citrus upfront and finishes very smooth and piney. ALot of hop character. Overall 5/5 and this is defintely my favorite IPA right now. (404 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, this is everything that is great about NE hops. A solid, balanced beer with great mouth feel, lots of hops that are balanced with the rest of the beer, and some orange notes to make it even better. Some beers aren't worth the hype - this one is! (256 characters)

Poured from a 16oz can into a teku glass. Pours a little cloudy with a fluffy white head. Smells of citrus, passion fruit, melon and peach. Tastes very citrusy and fruity with a little hop punch at the end. WOW it begs for another sip. This one is a GEM!! (255 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Another turbid glowing orange beer from treehouse. They really nailed the orange and other citrus smell and taste of this beer. I just wished these were easier to obtain. (170 characters)

4.64/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy orange with a nice two finger white head. Aromas of orange zest, mango, and juicy citrus. Flavors mirror the nose quite well - sweet malt and hint of grassy hop bitterness offer a very nice balance throughout. Medium mouthfeel. Very delicious beer! (259 characters)

Tried from a fresh can poured into a teku glass.

Look - Cloudy, Orange glow in the glass with a nice head of bubbles that sticks around. I would give it a 5, typical peach nectar appearance I have come to expect with TH IPAs.

Smell - Takes over the senses with fresh orange citrus, tropical fruit and peaches. Some mild floral notes develop as well with a little time in the glass. The aroma is a perfect 5 IMO as it really delights the senses as well as anyone sitting close by.

Taste - ORANGE, ORANGE, and more ORANGE followed by complimenting tropical fruit and peaches. Smoother than 26.3 points per game and 20.2 rebounds per game (Dr.J at UMASS), this beer is extremely easy to drink. Very well balanced even though it's packed with juicy oranges the slight hoppy bitterness hade coming back for more. Perfect 5 stands up to other world class IPAS.

Feel - Light to Medium - this beer is so crushable with its ridiculously smooth body.
Juicy citrus with a perfect balance of hoppiness that does not overwhelm the palate in a negative aspect. Also a great level of carbonation that makes this beer a real sensory explosion.

Overall - 5 out of 5 Easily in my fab five. I would drink this beer everyday if I could and not regret it. A tremendous effort by a young brewery that has me excited about every release. (1,320 characters)

I had this fresh from the can. Absolutely bursting with flavor. It was extremely juicy on the nose and palate with a pleasing thick mouth feel. The finish was more juice balanced with hops. (192 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype. The nose is the best I've ever experienced on an IPA (better than Heady) - huge citrus notes of orange, mango, et al (I don't really get the pineapple that a lot of people seem to mention). The taste follows the nose with a ton of citrus, but the most impressive thing is how balanced and subtle the bitterness is. There is an amazing hop oil finish to the taste that just makes you want to take another sip right away. It's extremely juicy, but still nails that balanced hop flavor that you expect from a great IPA. I could drink this all day.... (590 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

From the time you crack this beer down to the bittersweet last sip this beer is amazing. The super citrusy tropical aroma the nice fluffy head on the pour and the unbelievable ideal IPA taste are all what make this my favorite beer going right now. I'm blessed to live 30 minutes away from the brewery (301 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked this one open tonight, got it on a trade on Sunday. Pours a deep opaque orange with a fluffy white head that sticks around. Smell is super fruit, just pure orange and mango. OK, this is amazing, one of the best beers I've ever had. The mango on the tongue is so potent you could have told me this was juice. Notes of blood orange and pineapple, sweet malt, hint of grassy hop bitterness. The feel is so light and smooth. Drinks like a mango orange smoothie. Overall this beer deserves all the credit it gets. (516 characters)

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company