Join our email list →

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

American IPA | 6.80% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Alström Bros
Reviews: 341 | Hads: 2,360
4.57/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The can I had was apparently from a June batch and I was still seriously impressed with this beer. Citrus notes still strong, hazy pour with plenty of carbonation leaving silky lacing. My wife even loved it which for her is a rare thing since she hardly touches beer at all. I would love to try some of this fresh!

Julius is perfection in a glass. I don't know how the guys at TreeHouse do it, but this beer is one of the few that lives up to the hype and surpasses it.

Appearance is a beautiful unfiltered orange color.

Smell is tropical and juicy. Orange is there, but also tropical fruits.

Taste is an explosion of flavor. Orange, Tangerine, and tropical fruit - you name it and it's there. Juicy juicy juicy beer - and with just the right amount of malt backbone behind it. This is the best tasting IPA I've ever had. I don't think it's possible to make one better - and I've had almost every top IPA on draft in the US.

If you have the opportunity to get your hands on this beer, do it!

Poured from a tallboy can. Comes in a gorgeous hazy orange color. Looks like orange juice with spot on carb and a beautiful fluffy finger and a half of off white head. The nose is hoppy oranges, pineapple, mango, and some pine..the taste follows suit. Wow..what a brilliant beer. Tastes like hoppy orange pineapple juice. I'm blown away. The hype is real. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Might be better than focal banger.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber, completely hazed color, with a decent, bubbly head.

Smells utmost juicy, of lime infused orange lemonade and an intriguing amount of grass. The aromas are very focused on the beers juiciness, which makes it perfect for a warmer day, revealing peach pulp among a pleasant dankness.

Has a soft mouthfeel till the end, in which a lively, very bubbly carbonation creates an outstanding refreshment, coating up a distinct hoppiness.

Tastes of a soft fruitiness, entangled in dough whitebread malts, inviting the palate to a fantastic, soft mouthfeel. Its initial softness turns into a pleasant dank flavor, revealing wet grass, amped up by unripe orange peel and tangerine pulp. The malts then develop a natural sweetness, resulting from ripe orange, balanced by crisp lemon peel. Finishes with an outstandingly pleasant, exotic, fruitiness, sparkly carbonation and fitting, well pronounced maltiness which doesn't turn too sweet at no point.

Stunning, extreme rich, exuberant taste profile, leaving no desire unfullfilled as for what to expect from an ipa. Features a generous fruitiness, which offers up a great depth of hoppy flavors, perfectly illustrated by profound malts, which supports the gentle bitterness outstandingly well.

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz Can poured into my tulip glass

A: no pulp slightly darker OJ with bubbles

S: So Tropical and fruity with good citrus

T: similar to smell but with more fruit, good malt backbone makes this a balanced IPA, love the citrus and resin on the backend

F: Juicy is all I really need to say, love the church walls this made in my tulip glass.

O: I need more of this! sucks that I'm in WI because I would make this my dangerous session IPA

One of the best IPAs I've ever had. I think the only other IPA that I like better is Green IPA, also from Tree House. Everything TH is just SO top notch, I'm not sure how they are not considered the best brewery in USA!

Tropical and citrusy blast in your face. If you have not ever tried this beer, do whatever you can to acquire some because every beer drinker has to try this one! It will become the beer that you will judge every other beer by!

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This might be my favorite ipa. Better from a fresh growler than a fresh can. There's a bit more pine out of the can, not really a negative, but I do prefer my ipas (or at least IPAs of this style) to be a bit more fruity.

Drinks, looks, and smells like the best orange juice a beer drinker could imagine. Because, you know, it's beer.

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an elite beer in every way.

Taste, Smell, Appearance.

I prefer this to Heady Topper any day of the wk.

Strong fresh squeezed orange taste that I really enjoy. Hops are perfectly suited for this IPA

16 oz can (thanks Leo!) poured into a Jow's Arcade tulip glass

A - Hazy, typical NE/Tree House dark orange color. Completely opaque, with a 1/2 finger of off white head.

S - A straight orange juice bomb. Wow, so much orange juice. How do they make hops smell this way with no adjuncts?! Its crazy. Bitter orange peel, tangerines, sweet peaches, herbaceous. Amazing nose.

T - Huge, huge, huge orange right up front. Explosive juiciness. Tree House has their beer dialed. Orange peel follows, pithy orange middle of the mouth, bitter hops, crazy balanced with an awesome sweet citrus finish.

M - Medium, velvety smooth. TH mouth feel is second to none it seems when it comes to hoppy beers.

O - as far as IPAs go, this is one of the best on the planet. No holes to find. The only way you don't like this beer, is if you don't like juicy citrus IPAs. So fun to drink. Highest of recommendations.

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

16 oz. can into snifter.

L- Pours a cloudy, murky orange with a bubbly two finger head that sticks around for a bit.

S- Aroma is a mix of tropical fruit and citrus, with a healthy note of dank hops. One of the more impressive IPA noses I've ever smelled. Smells like mango, orange, and hops.

T- Taste is more of the same. Strong orange rind and mango flavors hit the tongue first, followed by a really great hoppy bitterness. The taste lingers on the palate and encourages another sip. Perhaps slightly less bright than the nose, but this is truly an exceptional flavor profile.

F- The consistency is reminiscent of orange juice—just replace pulp with hop oils. Slightly thicker than other IPAs, and it totally works.

O- I tried hard to find faults in this beer and show how hype can impact a beer's ratings. Nope. Didn't happen. This is an unbelievably good IPA, and it's amazing how much flavor is packed into such a relatively low ABV. Seek it out.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delicious. Nice citrus smell and flavor. smooth, light, crisp easy beer to drink. was fresh this week. would definatly make the trip to Tree house to get again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So Dinner is actually at the top of my list for best IPA but this is a close second for me. The mango and orange come together so well and the creamy finish makes this very smooth with just the right amount of bitterness. Most of the pineyness lies in the nose with citrus dominating the flavor profile. Quite different than the west-coast IPA with is very earthy/piney. 90% of beers do not live up to the hype but this certainly does.

3.74/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange with a thin white head, not the lighter orange, more juicy color I was expecting
Smells "juicy", mostly of citrus
taste is hoppy and a bit sweet with a slight bitterness at the end of the sip
feel is soft and not overly carbonated
overall, not a beer I'd go out of my way for. I've had it once from a growler and once from the can, both very fresh and it hasn't lived up to it's hype for me.

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't get me wrong - this is a fantastic IPA bursting with tropical fruit and citrus. However, with the hype behind it, I expected something a bit more. It was outshined by the double dry hopped fort point I had the same night. Drinks a bit thin, but it's very smooth and absurdly crushable.

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 16oz can poured into a snifter tasting glass.

A=Amber to copper, thick white head that slowly dissipates and rings the glass, lacing sticks to side of glass as I sip.

S=Citrus hits you first including orange, orange peel, grapefruit, lemon peel. Some pine and resin hiding in there too. Was expecting a bit more oomph based on all the reviews I have read, but still great!

T=Mostly citrus with nice malt backing and balance of bitterness, malt sweetness, and citrus and resinous hop flavors.

M=Lighter than expected body with moderate carbonation, smooth as silk.

O=Great citrus forward IPA, not my absolute favorite, but I would never turn one down, exited to try their other offerings.

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer is absolutely unbelievable! I don't know how they are doing it, but it's like drinking the best fruit juice I've ever had. The can is opened and you are hit with a peach smell that will blow your mind. The taste follows it right up. The true test is my wife loves it and she hates ipas. This is a must have

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper consistent with an east coast IPA with light head that quickly dissipates and moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, strong grapefruit, orange with a trace of mango

Taste: Ah, this beer lives up to its world class rating. The balance of a moderate malt body the plays perfectly with the tropical hop flavors and bitterness. The brilliance of this beer lies in this balance. The bitterness lingers a bit but the overall citrus essence remains to the next sip

Feel: The body is surprising light, with crisp smooth finish that begs for another sip

Overall: One of the best American IPAs I have had and an exemplary example of an east coast IPA. Saddened that it is not more readily available, but is a must try for any hop head

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Darker amber color with a perfect cloudy look, pours a small white head, but amazing lacing.
S:Amazing, tons of fruits/citrus on the front, Get a lot of orange, mango, and slight pineapple. Afterwards you get the hoppy/piney smell, amazing
T:Best of the best. Follows the nose very well, you get tons of delicious fruit up front followed by a nice dank taste and ends with some delicious hop/pine taste. And the perfect aftertaste to follow
F: Amazing again, has that nice somewhat creamy feeling to it, while still being super refreshing and easy to drink.

O: my second beer I had the pleasure to try from treehouse, and at this point it's my favorite beer ever. Slightly beating out Trillium, well done treehouse.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The hype is very real for this one. Was able to trade for 2 cans and while I loved the first can I drank, it wasn't until the second one that I really understood what was so great about this beer. As the brewery says, this is insanely drinkable. It goes down so smooth. Perfect balance between hops and malt with the hops shining in an amazing way. I will be driving to treehouse very soon to grab some of this beer. Top notch all the way.

Been seeing the Sculpin IPA on the shelf all around Boston, scared off by the price at $15/6 pack, read some reviews, thought I give it a chance. And, JULIUS is SOOOOO much bettah. Just wish I lived closer to Tree House or it lived closer to me. I love going there and the team there is really great.

L - Pours into chalice foggy-gold, with ample 1 inch head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, FRESH hop aromas, some astringent alcohol hints.

T - Citrus/orange peel, combinations of sweetish and bitter fresh hop flavors.

F - Quite effervescent. Refreshing dryness. Hop oils affect slightest slickness.

O- What an incredibly tasty and refreshing brew!

A fresh pint can poured into a tulip glass. Can is undated but this can is from last weeks release.

Look: Basically looks like a cross between orange and pineapple juice. The pour left about a finger of head which dissipated rather quickly.

Smell: A massive array of tropical fruits

Taste: It's about what you expect from the aroma. Just more and more tropical fruits and get next to no bitterness at the finish

The feel and overall of this beer is off the charts and it is well deserving of it's 100 score on beer advocate.

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my current favorite "readily available" options. Juicy and drinkable... this beer looks, smells, and tastes very much like you would expect: orange/tropical fruit juice beer, at least as much as you could get orange juice and tropical fruit out of an IPA/APA. I couldn't convince my non-BA brother that this wasn't brewed with juice/fruit/zest...

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

It's just so good. Totally tropical and juicy. If you can get your hands on any in California, definitely spend the $$. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. Easily top 5.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company