Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,449
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 242 | Hads: 1,762

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

Can dated 8/18/15. This is my first Julius and I'm already disappointed that I don't have another one to drink after this (yet....). Pours opaque and murky almost like fresh squeezed orange juice. Immediately hit with an intoxicating aroma of oranges and ripe mango or peaches. There is also a pleasant dankness too it. Taste is just a continuation of juicy tropical fruit with a bit of citrus pith and pine aftertaste that lingers. So smooth and drinkable. I've never given a beer a 5 before but I think this deserves it. Too bad I don't have regular access this to this, cause my beer buying choices would be so much more simplified. I wouldn't need to buy anything else I don't think.

4.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally got the chance to try this and it certainly impressed. Looked like orange juice along with having an awesome aroma and nice, juicy taste. Would certainly not turn it down should I have the chance to get more. Remarkable IPA.

16oz Can!

Appearance - Murky orange hue.

Smell - Citrus and dank.

Taste - Citrus and dank. Delicious.

Feel - Perfect carbonation. Medium attenuation. Very drinkable.

Overall - Very good IPA! Highly recommended!

Grade (A)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

exceptional ipa Hazy deep orange color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. Notes of oranges, citrus pith, light pine and mild mango. Silky feel finishes clean with a medium body. This is an absolute stunning IPA in every way

Here it is, the last of a 4-pack. I already know it's the best IPA I've ever had, and the only IPA to which I've given all 5s, but now I'll do a formal review. 16 oz. can into a tulip glass.

A - This thing really pours like orange juice. And not Tropicana; I mean the fresh squeezed stuff. It looks like a peach if the skin of a peach were liquefied. It's really an unbelievable color. It just brightens up the room.

N - Peach juice. Tangerine juice. Juicy juicy juicy. It's the juiciest beer I've ever smelled. Not quite sure how they do this.

T - Gosh, the flavors and maltiness and hoppiness are just blended together so perfectly. It's orange hop juice with a hint of alcohol. It's clean on the finish, and just unbelievably drinkable. It's just so damn impressive. And I REALLY don't like IPAs very much. I would drink one of these every day.

M - As with all the rest of the TH line, this thing immediately froth-ifies in my mouth. It coats everywhere and goes down incredibly smoothly. Extremely well-crafted.

O - There you have it, folks. A perfect IPA. A perfect beer.

If I could rate this beer a solid 10 + I would...it is absolutely OFF. THE. CHARTS. AMAZING!!!!!! Color is like a milky sunset orange; it captivates and lures you in at sight. Smell is outstanding...peachy, apricot, citrus goodness. Please please PLEASE bottle this stuff as a perfume!!!! I'd douse myself in it and my boyfriend would be in sheer HEAVEN!!! Taste~okay here is where we get a little crazy because up until this point it's been a pure turn-on and tease. Let me preface this by recalling a movie entitled When Harry Met Sally. Remember Meg Ryan's rendition of a fake orgasm? At first sip, expect this beer to cause the real thing...it's mind-blowing amazing. Beautiful lacing from a pure white head, it's truly pillowy and extremely easy to drink. For me, the peachy/apricot notes are prominent upon smell, opening up to strong notes of mango, papaya and a touch of melon to taste. This beer lingers on the palate, so don't rush in for a second sip too soon! Sit back and relive that first sip for a couple minutes...the finish is amazingly smooth and fresh!! On a side note...this beer can be dangerously easy to drink and cause people to slip and say things they may be held accountable for: Honey, am I really getting a diamond engagement ring within the next 6 months???!! hehe!! ; )

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a murky orange bronze with medium white head. Lots of carbonation in this one. Smell is incredibly sweet almost like honey. Bursting with hops, lots of tropical fruits and ightly floral. I really liked this be and if it was local to me I could see it being my go-to IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got in a trade
No reason to describe it , just scroll down and look at everyone's ratings they're giving it! it's amazing! I rarely rate IPAs as high as BA beers or sours. but this one nails it! as far as IPAs go this is the king of kings!!

Do what you must to get your hands on it!

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Best IPA I have ever had, could write an in depth review of how citrusy the aromas are and the amazing mango and bitter hops but if your interested in this beer I highly recommend it

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy deep orange color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. Notes of oranges, citrus pith, light pine and mild mango. Silky feel finishes clean with a medium body. This is an absolute stunning IPA in every way.

Received in a trade with @DrunkyBuddha thanks dude!
Poured from a growler filled 08/22/15
Look: hazy golden with 3 fingers of very fluffy head that leaves nice lacing
Smell: I'm not sure I've ever smelled a beer like this. Once I opened the growler I'm hit immediately with huge citrusy dankness. As I go in for a good sniff, I get ripe peach, lots of orange, and a touch of mango and pineapple mixed with a big burst of hoppy dankness. The smell is so well balanced. I wish they made cologne that smells like this.
Taste: It does not dissapoint given how wonderful the smell is. It just continues with amazing notes of smooth cantaloupe, a myriad of citrus and dank fresh grass. The swallow invokes a little scuppernong.
Feel: Extremely smooth and has an almost fresh squeezed juice like feel to it. Medium carbonation. Each sip leaves you wanting more.
Overall: Can an IPA be better made than this? I don't think so. There are others that can stand with this but I feel like it has truly reached a level that can't be passed. Well done Tree House!

4.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy burnt orange with crisp white head. Unbelievably complex nose full of fresh citrus. Orange and mango are predominant, and as others have mentioned these hit in multiple waves. The taste follows the nose with sweet citrus. Very smooth, velvety mouthfeel with a medium body. Overall one of the best IPA's I've had. Refreshing, sweet citrus, smooth and clean.

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Amazing. Looks like orange juice and smells like tropical fruit juice. I want this with my wheaties every morning. Taste almost follows the nose perfectly, very tropical. Feel is very nice and medium bodied, carbonation is perfect too.

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This was my first Tree House beer, and holy cow was it awesome. I was lucky enough to have a buddy that had a few different ones for me to try. This first one didn't disappoint at all. It was like Orange Juice. Super easy drinking, and easily one of the top beers I've had.

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Such a delicious beer, hazy, citriusy, so excised they started canning this, had it in a growler and looking forward to getting some cans soon. Awesome to see Treehouse growing so quickly, hopefulyl they start doing distro soon.

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange color, looks like orange juice. Smells like juicy, tropical fruit with a dank hint. Taste follows with some sweet juicy fruits like orange and papaya. Body feels very smooth but not heavy. Very balanced IPA, doesn't seem bitter at all for me, just a lot of hops in the taste and aroma but with a moderate amount of bitterness, just to balance the beer.

4.44/5  rDev -4.1%

Great beer, didn't quite live up to the hype for me. It's a fantastic, well balanced IPA. But for something rated this highly I expected a lot more hop flavor and aroma. Look and mouthfeel are perfect. Taste and smell just didn't have that "WOW" factor a lot of other northeast IPAs have.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My god. Julius is the man! the aroma of this isn't over powering, but it not going to kick you in the vag/nuts like some super hop aroma beers, but it's still something I would love in candle scent for my flat. This isn't a tea bag you in the mouth IPA, this isn't super malty like some regular IPAs can be, but it's just a very well balanced IPA. I'm not a big IPA fan but this hit the spot for me. Being in Tampa, I'm used to the maltier IPAs, so this was a refreshing change. I love the look of this. Nice and hazy. It felt great as Julius danced on my tongue and slid down my throat with little burn.

3.38/5  rDev -27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The best way for me to describe this beer is, not what I expected.

Visually it is a great looking beer. Slightly murky orange with a white foam head. I had to dive right in.

The aroma was pushing a lot of citrus, not at all floral. I didn't expect it to knock me down with waves of citrus.

My first sip was a little off putting because the aroma did not match the flavor profile. While it is juicy, I don't get a ton of the mango that they talk about on the side of the can. That is a little bitterness at the front of your mouth but really, really faint. And the bittering hop is less than desirable.

I really wanted to feel the juiciness in my cheeks, instead I got a beer that leaves very little residual flavor and is borderline watery on the finish. I feel like this beer wants to be a lot more than it actually is. A strong citrus aroma that doesn't come through on the flavors and a hint at what could be a really good beer.

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%

16oz can into a snifter - 8 days old

L - Hazy orange juice. thick viscous pour, thin head but heavy lacing
S - Bitter orange juice with overtones of something else - reminds me very faintly of acetone? Something volatile, but I don't think it is anything fusel
T - Straight up orange juice to begin, with softly bitter hops coming in at the finish. Somewhat sweet malts, and again just a hint of something volatile I just can't place. Less perceptible as it warms up.
F - Very soft velvety carb. Medium bodied but smooth as silk

Overall, a very, very good beer, but with just a hint of something that is holding me back from going nuts. Very good none the less, but there is a volatile, varnishy / thinners note to the aroma and the back of the palate that detracts slightly.

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

I finally got my hands on Julius back in July. Smells just like pineapple and orange juice. Pours a typical East Coast IPA hazy yellow which I really like. Tastes so good and refreshing, so citrusy and smooth. I could enjoy this beer on the hottest summer day or cold winter evening. Highly recommended.

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can from the brewery, a few days old.

So here it is, the next in the lineage of famous/infamous semi-hard-to-get IPAs, instantly joining the ranks of Pliny and Heady, loved by the truest snobs when it's rare, and shunned by the same once everyone has had it. ;)

Attractive pour, cloudy orange-yellow, with a nicely-retaining white head. Hop-laden aroma, as would be expected, pithy, tropical, dash of ammonia. Citrus and tropical fruit in the taste, piney bitterness, and some fruit-candy sweetness as well, complementing the slightly sugary malt profile. Crisp mouthfeel, medium body, lasting hop bite. Overhyped to hell, but still very nice IPA overall. I'll take a Heady or Sunshine over this any day.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz. can. Dated 8/18/15.

Pours a murky deep orange with a two finger off-white head. Looks like fruit juice.

Aroma is awesome. Get juicy aromas of peach, pineapple, mango, passionfruit, papaya, orange juice, orange peel, tangerine, and grapefruit from the hops. There is a very light breadiness and some pale malt sweetness. The smell indicates that this is going to be a wonderfully balanced beer.

Taste follows the aroma nicely. Up front get juicy peach, passionfruit, papaya, and mango. The pale malt sweetness is there. The middle brings more of the same, along with some very light breadiness, orange juice, and tangerine. The beer dries out just a touch into the finish. Some grassy and orange/grapefruit peel bitterness emerges. The sweetness carries on over into the finish, as well as the juicy peach and tropical notes. Complex and wonderfully balanced.

Mouthfeel is absolutely spot on. Very soft and creamy. Smooth carbonation. Medium body.

This was an absolute treat to have. There is a lot of complexity coming from the hops, yet the beer is nicely balanced. There is a reason why there is so much hype behind this beer. This one lives up to it.

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%

Look: Orange juice like yellow haze, nice frothy white head and a very sexy noticeable lacing on the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Orange and mango, tropical fruit goodness and fresh cut grass. Smell is super enticing.

Taste: Orange citrus, papaya, mango, small amounts of sugary pineapple with a grassy/floral balance. Super juicy! tastes absolutely delicious.

Feel: Medium body with a super clean finish. Almost like cream in your mouth.

Overall: This beer deserves every good rating ever given to it. Better than the other hype IPA's by far.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company