Microbrew Invitational

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 409 | Ratings: 2,740
4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

can enjoyed from a treehouse taster. pours thick murky nectarine lace is sheets of foam on the glass. nose is straight up oj. tangerine/nectarine. what a flavorable ipa. super easy drinking. super delish. worth hunting down.

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy, copper-orange color with a 2 finger off-white head that dissipates very quickly. Leaves some decent, splotchy lacing.

The aroma is intoxicating. So much citrus and so much tropical fruit it's absurd. Sweet orange and tangerine notes, as well as grapefruit and pineapple, followed by a touch of pine resin. There's a lot of mango and peach as well. Just so much going on here.

The taste is a juice bomb. I get tons of orange, grapefruit, and pineapple, as well as some honeydew melon. The finish is slightly bitter.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Fluffy, smooth, and creamy.

Overall, one of the best IPA's I've ever had. The aroma is ridiculous and the flavor follows suit. Definitely lives up to the name.

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

At under 7%... with the company is currently resides... this will certainly climb much higher in the ranking than where it sits today. The way an IPA should be...

Would rate a 5 on feel... but can't give it a 5 with how I feel now that I know when I won't get the taste of more...!

4.41/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a one week old can poured into snifter. I thought this was a good IPA, but definitely overhyped. I don't think it holds a flame to some other IPA options out there, especially in the NE region. While it's got a great smell and taste, it had a tad too much malt presence and was not as citrus or juicy as anticipated. Still a great beer, but not a 100 score for me. I had this next to MBC Dinner and it blew Julius away.

Ahhh Julius. This is my favorite IPA from treehouse, by far. Dark orange, hazy, murky deliciousness. Immediately hit with nectarine, grapefruit, peach and mango. Feels creamy and has perfect carbonation. I could drink this any day, any time, and in any weather. Perfect beer in my opinion!

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a tropical fruit bomb. One of the best IPA's I have ever had. Taste is juicy mango/orange with a slight bitter finish. A must try!!!!

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

64 oz growler was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is hazy pale orange color with some clarity of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Tropical, citrus, grassy, pungent, herbal, toasted, bready, and caramel malts.

Taste: Pretty much similar to the aromas. Nice juicy hop flavor, balanced malt backbone, slight bitterness, slight chewiness, and some yeasty notes.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, light bitterness, a little chewy, refreshing, and medium carbonation.

Overall: A very nice tropical and citrus juice bomb with a malt backbone to back things. I'll revisit this one in the future.

4.07/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance- Orange in color and very hazy. Pours a two finger creamy textured head.

Aroma- Tanagerine, pungent citrus, passionfruit, a little bit of onion (although that maybe the citrus), and a bready malt in the background.

Taste- Lots of tangerine at first followed by a quick burst of pungency from citrus and a little onion. There's very little bitterness at all to the point of this feeling like a pale ale. Towards the finish overripe tangerine/orange with a bland crackery malt that makes for an awkward finish.

Feel- Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, soft, but lacking the bitterness and bite I expect from an ipa.

Overall- This is very good/ great, but it leans way too much on the fruity side and its an inconsistent beer from can to can. Some have been absolutely great while some have been underwhelming. Granted this review is at 2 weeks old, but that really shouldn't be enough to hinder the flavor that dramatically. Definitely an interesting beer, one I will gladly buy a few of if available at Treehouse, but it won't be the reason I make a trip to Treehouse in the future.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this a lot. Finally out of the can. Oh my lord this is still stupid good beer! Whatever it takes for you to acquire, just do it. It'll more than likely take the taste out your mouth. Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

AMAZING! This was one of the best beers I have ever had. Easily in the top 5. Insanely drinkable and the flavors and aromas jump right out of the can. My only minor issue with Julius is I wish it had a little more bite at the end. It goes down so incredibly smooth, almost too smoth. . . . Overall tho like I said easily in my top 5 along with heady, focal, pliny, SOS. . . Up there with all the big boys!

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass.

Very strong citrus flavor and definitely on the tropical fruit spectrum. Could be just me, but wasn't entirely what I expected. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but wasn't super impressed because, although the flavor was there, I was hoping for a little bit more of the hoppy bite. The citrus flavor was probably a bit too strong for my liking, but that obviously doesn't take away from this as being a finely crafted beer. Will say that I found the Curiosity 15 to be more to my liking.

I picked up a 6 pack of this at the brewery on 4/25/15.
A: Bright orange, hazy in color with a nice foamy white head.
S: Immediately i'm struck by strong orange notes that subside into some pine, grassy character.
T: The orange is definitely there, but it's not overpowering, has a nice sweet backbone combined with some mild piney hops. Very balanced between the hop kick and the sweetness. Almost no bitterness to it.
M: Extremely smooth, seems almost perfectly balanced. Medium carbonation, creamy finish.
O: Wow, I actually had a dream a few nights ago that I'd land a can of this and I ended up getting 6!!!! I thought i'd never try it. It's exceptionally smooth, balanced, and yet has a nice hoppy kick to it combined with the citrus component. 5's all around!!! This brewery makes me proud to be from Western Mass!!!!

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16oz can into a Tree House tulip glass. Thanks AL for picking this up at the brewery today for me!

Pours a bright orange, super hazy body with a big thick white head that reduces slowly to leave pretty heavy lacing. Looks fantastic.

Lots of citrus on the nose.. orange rind, bright fruity hops, some resinous aromas, orange juice.

Wow.. very interesting on the tongue.. sweet citrus, orange, juicy notes, orange creamsicle, tropical fruit, followed by a nice subtle hop bite on the finish. Mouthfeel is absolutely PERFECT. This is one of the most delicious, drinkable beers I've ever tasted. Creamy, easy drinking, refreshing mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Perfect.

One of the best IPAs I've ever tasted. I can't believe how easy to drink this beer is, while being packed with flavor. Wish I could drink this every day.

this is maybe the best their is. pours a dark hazy orange, aroma is just orange and orange zest. mouthfeel is unreal. the taste is epic citrus bursting through and beautiful on the palate. Everytime I have one I am more impressed.

Awesome fruit forward IPA, citrus, peach, smooth and hoppy... creamy finish... just awesome! Put this on tap in my basement and i'm a 300lb alcoholic in no time!

4.49/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Special thanks to Maverick74 for the high quality trade.

A - Deep, opaque peach juice body with a full two fingers of creamy white head. Nice lace and ok retention.

S - Sweet orange concentrate, ruby red grapefruit, peach nectar, mango. About as pure citrus as I've ever smelt in an IPA.

T - Really interesting; extraordinarily drinkable. Nectarines, white grapefruit juice, honey, peach nectar, and softly bitter grape leaves. Basicity malt finish. The net sweet profile is absolutely loaded with fruit, with just enough pithy and leaf-like bitters to balance it out.

M - Smooth and full for the style.

O - A delicious and highly accessible IPA that benchmarks what the best of the fruit-forward side of the style can be.

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Growler shared by biggsbowler. Clear light yellow pour with a white head. Grapefruit hop aromas. Big grapefruit hop notes dominate. Sturdy malt backbone. Very good mouthfeel with a good body.

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Gorgeous. Deep dark orange ball of haze. Cloudy, but at the same time not murky. Extremely appetizing.

S - Juicy tropical fruit blast. Lots of peach mango. So bright, so full of life.

T - Goddamn. More peach, lots of banana (in this batch). Almost hefe-like with the bubblegum and sticky sweet fruity flavors, but still retains that hop bite. Like the nose, such a bright and beautiful flavor. An absolute juice bomb.

F - Luscious and soft. Fluffy and billowing. Even the smallest sip fills the entire mouth, distributing the flavor masterfully.

O - Beautiful beer. Hits all the right notes. Insanely drinkable. Balance is prime. So unlike any other IPA out there. Not even sure I'd describe it as such. What it is is monstrously delicious.

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Wow, This beer certainly met the hype. Extremely drinkable. Glad to have a growler of this and will continue to search this one out. This is the only beer I have had that can rival the amount of citrus that comes through in HF IPAs. Amazing

Haven't typed out a review in a while, but as this beer is my first 5 Overall, a few words:
As soon as you get it open (I was lucky to try it out of a can) the smell of orange/citrus are pungent throughout the room. In the glass it goes, gorgeous orange color with a frothy white head that fades with time. The taste of this beer follows the nose 100%--its a tropical fruit explosion. One of my favorite parts was the mouthfeel--I wish I could give it a 6. Creamy, perfect amount of carbonation.
This beer is perfection. Trade for this/go to Tree House, just get some. I promise you won't regret it

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer will make you smile.

Think of the joy you got as a child out of a summertime Orange Creamsicle, then imagine that same joy being transferred in the form of an adult ice cream flavored beer.

Julius is a juicy IPA that tastes like fresh orange slices pureed into beer. It is one of the best IPA's on the market.

I know that Tree House has some of the most ardent fans in the craft beer scene, and at first I honestly thought that the hype surrounding this beer was due to strong hometown Homerism, but this one really lives up to its reputation as one of the finest in the game.

Two thumbs up.

Note: The taste drops off very quickly in a growler (within three days or so based on eight growler fills) but the flavor in the cans lasts for up to five weeks. Given the option, I would seek out the cans for the full Julius experience.

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Brilliance in a bottle is an understatement for this highly reviewed IPA. Began the evening with a 750ml bottle from the previous weekend's batch. The color pours into my Hill Farmstead tulip glass a perfect pale golden tone. The smell of orange, grapefruit, and citrus fills the air immediately when opened. Freshly squeezed orange grapefruit juice with the mild bitterness of hop to give it that classic taste. A beautifully crafted IPA and easily one I will go out of my way to try again. Cannot recommend the aesthetic quality of this enough.

---

Revised Review of the recent can releases: While the aromas and juicy flavor is still intact, it does not have the same freshness feeling as I get straight from the growler or draft.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

LOOK: Color: a marvelous gold yellow orange. Almost opaque but not cloudy.

SMELL: Aroma is great -- like citrusy blossoms.

TASTE: Big citrus flavor. Hoppy as hell but balanced, not overly bitter. Bright and sunshiney up front. Very pleasant. The easy comparison is Sip of Sunshine. Quite possibly better than. Really similar flavor profiles though.

FEEL: As for mouthfeel: not quite (like) "stout full", but pretty full for an IPA.

Thanks Steve!

Not a bad thing to say about this beer. Delicious citrus smell and flavor and amazing mouth feel. One of the most refreshing and drinkable beers that I have ever had

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml growler and the first beer of an incredible bottle share. Amazing tropical notes and truly tastes like OJ mixed with an IPA. Incredible!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company