Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,436
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 241 | Hads: 1,750

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a phenomenal experience! Pours a gorgeous dark orange haze. The smell of orange zest, citrus and mango is overwhelming. An extremely well-balanced, smooth, creamy finish with a hint of pine. This beer absolutely lives up to it's hype. If you're lucky enough to live within driving distance of the brewery, do yourself a favor and visit. You won't regret it.

4.22/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Maybe I got an old can but this brew is good but not as outstanding as everyone says it is. It's very drinkable but so are many other beers I've had that are much easier to get. I definitely want to try this again so it can get another shot at my Top 10

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone.

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from two 16oz cans into a snifter (when sharing) and a tulip (self serve). Pours very hazy/cloudy with a white head that fades away but not quickly. The color is head on with orange juice or the light orange feature of the can. So much tropical fruit with orange citrus upfront and finishes very smooth and piney. ALot of hop character. Overall 5/5 and this is defintely my favorite IPA right now.

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, this is everything that is great about NE hops. A solid, balanced beer with great mouth feel, lots of hops that are balanced with the rest of the beer, and some orange notes to make it even better. Some beers aren't worth the hype - this one is!

Poured from a 16oz can into a teku glass. Pours a little cloudy with a fluffy white head. Smells of citrus, passion fruit, melon and peach. Tastes very citrusy and fruity with a little hop punch at the end. WOW it begs for another sip. This one is a GEM!!

4.92/5  rDev +6.3%

Another turbid glowing orange beer from treehouse. They really nailed the orange and other citrus smell and taste of this beer. I just wished these were easier to obtain.

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy orange with a nice two finger white head. Aromas of orange zest, mango, and juicy citrus. Flavors mirror the nose quite well - sweet malt and hint of grassy hop bitterness offer a very nice balance throughout. Medium mouthfeel. Very delicious beer!

Tried from a fresh can poured into a teku glass.

Look - Cloudy, Orange glow in the glass with a nice head of bubbles that sticks around. I would give it a 5, typical peach nectar appearance I have come to expect with TH IPAs.

Smell - Takes over the senses with fresh orange citrus, tropical fruit and peaches. Some mild floral notes develop as well with a little time in the glass. The aroma is a perfect 5 IMO as it really delights the senses as well as anyone sitting close by.

Taste - ORANGE, ORANGE, and more ORANGE followed by complimenting tropical fruit and peaches. Smoother than 26.3 points per game and 20.2 rebounds per game (Dr.J at UMASS), this beer is extremely easy to drink. Very well balanced even though it's packed with juicy oranges the slight hoppy bitterness hade coming back for more. Perfect 5 stands up to other world class IPAS.

Feel - Light to Medium - this beer is so crushable with its ridiculously smooth body.
Juicy citrus with a perfect balance of hoppiness that does not overwhelm the palate in a negative aspect. Also a great level of carbonation that makes this beer a real sensory explosion.

Overall - 5 out of 5 Easily in my fab five. I would drink this beer everyday if I could and not regret it. A tremendous effort by a young brewery that has me excited about every release.

I had this fresh from the can. Absolutely bursting with flavor. It was extremely juicy on the nose and palate with a pleasing thick mouth feel. The finish was more juice balanced with hops.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype. The nose is the best I've ever experienced on an IPA (better than Heady) - huge citrus notes of orange, mango, et al (I don't really get the pineapple that a lot of people seem to mention). The taste follows the nose with a ton of citrus, but the most impressive thing is how balanced and subtle the bitterness is. There is an amazing hop oil finish to the taste that just makes you want to take another sip right away. It's extremely juicy, but still nails that balanced hop flavor that you expect from a great IPA. I could drink this all day....

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

From the time you crack this beer down to the bittersweet last sip this beer is amazing. The super citrusy tropical aroma the nice fluffy head on the pour and the unbelievable ideal IPA taste are all what make this my favorite beer going right now. I'm blessed to live 30 minutes away from the brewery

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked this one open tonight, got it on a trade on Sunday. Pours a deep opaque orange with a fluffy white head that sticks around. Smell is super fruit, just pure orange and mango. OK, this is amazing, one of the best beers I've ever had. The mango on the tongue is so potent you could have told me this was juice. Notes of blood orange and pineapple, sweet malt, hint of grassy hop bitterness. The feel is so light and smooth. Drinks like a mango orange smoothie. Overall this beer deserves all the credit it gets.

4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a beautiful hazy orange. Really bright. Smell is loaded with tropical and citrus fruit. Taste carries over from the smell. Tons of sweet citrusy hop flavor. Mango, orange, pineapple. Full bodied substantive mouth feel.

Opened this growler and walked across the room to grab a glass. Stopped in my tracks, because I could suddenly smell it. From all the way across the room (a fairly large room). Tropical, citrusy juice. I have no idea how they achieved a nose like that, but I want it in my life every day. (Julius Candles, anyone?).

Poured into tulip. Julius looks like, well Juice. Thick mango juice. It's beautiful. And I'm still not over that goddamn tropical juice nose. May have drooled into glass.

At this point in the experience I am a little nervous. Because it seems likely this beer can't possibly live up to that nose and look. But it does. I hate to say "pillowy-soft mouthfeel", because what the fuck even is that? But it describes what my mouth is feeling exactly. I swear to you. And the taste....I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I really was. But, continuing right in theme, this beer is straight juice. It is like drinking some tropical, citrusy, I should be on a beach right now, juice (I don't know any other word for juice-sorry). I could chug this beer if I didn't want the experience to last as long as possible.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From the gorgeous orange pour, the passion fruit explosion nose and delicious hop taste, this brew is amazing. Can't express how much I love this beer. Great job tree house.

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful, hazy bright orange appearance that is almost artificial color. A tropical citrus nose is predominant, with a hint of bitterness in the aroma. Bitterness and citrus bursts out of the glass but blend well together to create a well balanced product. Mouth feel is not exactly as astoundingly soft and cloudy as some of Treehouse's other offerings, but this is definitely an improvement over many other IPA's I've had. Overall I would drink this again but probably not soon due to the limited availability and lack of distribution, however hopefully they will begin making this beer more en mass.

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a hazy orange. A thick white head dissipates into nice lacing all the way down. Aroma is tropical fruit, think mango and pineapple. The taste is more fruit and orange peal. Great all around beer.

4.06/5  rDev -12.3%

Pour is dark orange, extremely cloudy, with lots of white head, some large bubbles, decent retention, and a thick lace. Nose is heavy mango and citrus, with a bit of mango rind, lightly earthy, with notes of grapefruit. Flavor profile follows the nose to a T. Tons of tropical fruit, mango and grapefruit, with a citrus blast, low bitterness, a mostly creamy feel, a touch granule towards the back end with aggressive carbonation. Bitterness creeps up a little through the finish and lingers a touch.

4.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

- 16oz. can (canned 24-Jul-15) half poured into whisky glass, and rest straight out of the can, on 11-Aug-15

Thanks to marino13412 for the awesome trade.

I drank this along side Haze and could not taste the difference, but this one was juicier. Juicy peaches and mangos. Super dank, but it's surprisingly got a clean finish. I think I prefer this one a little bit more.

Thanks to mdr4669 for these cans washing up on the shores of maximum12. Had a few samplers of Treehouse at tastings, but this is my first full pour. 16 oz. yellow/orange can that you won’t lose in the woods.

The pour is a well carbonated & dense orange. As advertised, this smells like a hot, barefoot afternoon on Terre-de-Haut. The only fruit that jumps out in the nose is orange, but maybe that’s just a byproduct of the eyeful I’m getting.

Julius is juicy. Whatever the taste, this beer is dripping with extra liquidity, & seems to stimulate my drool buds rather oddly. Bursting with fruitiness defined by peach for me, with low census counts of orange, citrus. Then the ends sticks you with a piney bitterness that lingers far longer than the career of anyone names Swarzak. Certainly easy to gulp, as this sixteen ounces isn’t going to live long.

In name & style, this wouldn’t seem out of place in another eastern breweries’ lineup (though that place is well south of Treehouse). This doesn’t reach into the holy firmament of IPAs for my palate, but the stickiness & staying power make it a really good beer.

4.46/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm going to say it - I think this beer came to me a little overhyped. I was expecting a more subdued bitterness with a big citrus bomb - this is not what I got, sadly.

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

L: Murky orange brew that looks more like a smoothie than a beer. Fluffy off-white head that looks like a washed out version of the body. Thick sticky lacing sticks around.
S: Orange and mango dominate the nose. Not sure if there's citra in the beer but it sure seems like there's a hint of it in the smell.
T: Holy F#*k! This thing tastes fresh squeezed fruit from a citrus grove. This is as juicy as a beer can get without being cloying or just gross. I would drink this beer exclusively if I could.
F: So soft but also so well carbed. Just enough hop bitterness there to keep the malt in check and keep it from being sweet.
O: This is a beer I waited to rate because I wanted to make sure it was really the best beer I've ever had. As it turns out, it is. There is just so much right with this beer that it will haunt my dreams in between brewery drops.

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

What can be said about one of the greatest flagship beers available? If you have had the pleasure of tasting this beer then you will know that words cannot do it justice. The greatest advantage to living in Ellington, CT is that I am a mere 15 minutes away from the best brewery in the United States.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company