Microbrew Invitational

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 412 | Ratings: 2,752
4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Orange yellow cloudy mess, in a good way. Not as ugly as Heady Topper. Two finger off white cloud, long lasting. Sticky lacing.

Smells great if a little subdued. Fruity, piney, feint biscuits.

Phenomenal taste, fruity with a slight bitterness.

Typical carbonation, nice coating in the mouth, sticky at the end.

Overall a great IPA

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall tulip about a week and a half after purchasing at the brewery. Consumed after a swordfish dinner.

Appearance is a turbid, dark orange color with a two-finger white head that leaves huge lace.

Aroma is amazing, with mostly tropical and sweet citrus fruits - mango, papaya, pineapple, orange - and just a bit of dank and spice.

Taste is also very tropical, but with a little bit of melon and fresh mown grass, a tiny bit of pine and dank, and a very slight soft bitterness on the finish.

Mouth feel is just right.

Overall, an exceptionally juicy and hop forward beer

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed in a tall glass from the can, date of canning was mid february so it was enjoyed fresh.

Look: The turbid look is in full effect. It is hard to see through but that orange juice look is something to behold. Putting this up to light just makes me want to chug the whole thing. I am definitely a fan.

Smell: I don't think I have ever had a beer this dank. It is absolutely the best smelling IPA I have ever smelled. The tropical and citrus comes through to the highest degree. I could smell this beer all day.

Taste: It hits you in the face with the hop profile. I get strong mango and citrus (orange with a touch of lemon) with that hop pine in the aftertaste that is barely there. The malt is back focused meaning it is barely there but you can distinguish it towards the end. Again the hops are key in this and they nail it. Best hop profile in an IPA I have tasted.

Feel: So I always like to compare IPAs/DIPAs to the best mouthfeel I ever had in an IPA. That beer is Heady Topper. It has that sticky hop profile I love, but combines with a great malt profile that just nails it. It lingers in your mouth. Julius has a similar profile. The hops have that dank, sticky profile but the malt is lacking a little bit. I wish it would coat your mouth and linger a little bit longer. I am not knocking this beer at all, I think it nails the feel well. The more I drink, the more I growing on this beer in this department.

Overall: This beer has the best smell and hop profile I have ever had in an IPA. I feel the mouthfeel is lacking a little bit, but I really like this beer. It is a solid top 3 IPA/DIPA for me. I would buy a case and just drink it constantly. I am jealous of all of you who live in MA. Truly a great brewery and a fantastic IPA.

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A friend picked up a growler from the brewery: this is the first of their beers that I have had. It lived up to the hype: this is an excellent IPA. It pours an orangish color with a nice head on it. Nice nose. It’s fairly hoppy, with orange and tropical notes. The taste is also quite good. Lots of tropical and orange hoppy flavors. A faint sweetness from the malt body. Very smooth. A very nice beer. Edit: Have had the canned version now too. It is equally good!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My thanks to @FFreak for bring me a couple cans.
Canned on 2/24 and enjoyed 2/27.
Poured from the 16 oz can into a snifter. Pours a beautiful thick hazy light tangerine color with one finger of head. Although the heads drops away, what remains has really nice lacing.
Aroma might be the most aromatic IPA I've ever encountered. Huge notes of tropical fruit, especially mango and pineapple.
Taste is delicious and complex with hops 90% of what I taste, little to no bitterness.
Mouthfeel was excellent.
Overall, this is my first Treehouse beer and it's the real deal. Certainly right there with the best of Hill Farmstead and Alchemist. Bravo!

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A marvelous unfiltered orange look and a lovely juicy citrus on the nose. It is even more pronounced in the taste and as it warms a mango flavor emerges that nestles nicely in the citrus. I would believe that there is actual fruit juice in here and the mouth feel is complete like a glass of orange juice. At the edges of you tongue the mango drops off into a hint of bubble gum flavor. Best IPA I have ever had.

WOW. So hazy, citrusy and delicious. An absolute treat of an IPA, that is well worth the hype that it receives. The name serves it well. Canned on 2/11/16

Canned on 24Feb 2016 and enjoyed the same day. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.
L: Dark, burnt orange... completely opaque. Glows a glorious orange with light shined behind it. Gorgeous pure white head leaving sticky lacing.
S: The can does not lie… a tropical bouquet… not phony juicy juice but like a fresh, ripe peach and mango. I’ve had peaches in Georgia that didn’t smell this good.
T: Their twitter page does not lie… big and soft flavors… fruity and light and bright hops.
F: Very light with bright, prickly hops dancing on your tongue.
O: Just staggering… I could drink all 6 of my allotment tonight. Having come from Bub Light country in Southern Alabama for a contract in Milford, CT, the 3hr drive is well for it for a Wed. can run. Tree House has exceeded the hype. I almost can't believe that this beer will knock Westy 12 out of the top 10, but there is no better brewery to do it.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a turbid burnt orange with a 2 finger fluffy off white head. Retention is excellent and there are massively thick sheets of lacing everywhere. The smell is a fruit juice bomb. Aromas of mango, pineapple, grapefruit and tangerine burst out of the glass and engulf the senses. There is also a slight dankness. Taste is exactly the same. Feel is light side of medium and just so pillowy soft, juicy and drinkable. The dankness shows up on the back end, but there is barely any of the bitterness you would expect to go with it. Overall absolutely world class. Next level IPA.

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%

A very well balanced IPA. I've had plenty of Treehouse brews and actually never tried Julius until well after I've tried some of their others. For this batch, I'm not getting the crazy citrus that is described as in other reviews of Julius. Rather, I'm getting a dank, smooth hoppiness that is quite drinkable, and not bitter at all. Very delicious.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I like to think of Dr. J like the Kool Aid guy. Everyone wants it, and when it smashes through the front of your house, it doesn't even matter because it makes your day better. Color and smell make your mouth water, taste doesn't let you down either, superior drinkability. Delicious.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As far as those Juicy DIPAs, this is it. I can't imagine what King Julius tastes like as the prince himself was that damn good. Beautiful orange color, great smell, best taste and mouthfeel.

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

This is obscenely delicious, if it counts as a pale ale i guess. Beyond juicy, and zero transparency, an amazing nose and a wonderful yet light body. Meets hype. I can see why people call it watery, and too light on flavor, because it is. But this is the new style. Again, almost unfair to call it a pale ale by the classic definition

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a gravy-like, pale orange color. Develops a foamy 1/2 inch caps of suds, that sticks around for several minutes. I rated the appearance pretty high just because of what it is. Most IPAs would suffer with this appearance but being one of the new crops of NEIPAs, I think ti fits the part better than many. The aroma is very hop forward. To my nose, the overwhelming aroma is freshly peeled orange. But there are a lot of delicious fruity notes in addition. One might call them "tropical" but I can't put my finger on one specific fruit. Either way, this has very juicy and mouth watering aroma. The flavor is, well, orange juice. Well, more complex than orange juice really, but it is very reminiscent of the delicious breakfast beverage. It does have a nice citrus quality and an almost spicy character. There is a bitterness, but it pretty much drops off the palate immediately, mostly just serving to balance the overall fruity character of the beer.The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. It has a lot more body than your typical West Coast IPA, though not "thick" by any means. Quite a unique mouthfeel for IPAs in general yet really bring home that "juicy" quality. Overall, just an awesome and fairly unique beer, one I would drink on the reg, if possible.

4.27/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first Tree House Brewery beer and review. Very curious over the hype on this brewery and was lucky enough to score a can in Nashville, Tn! Pint can dated 01-21-16 so not quite a month old.

L - Poured into Spiegelau IPA glass. Full 2 finger off white head. Opaque murky muddled orange. Good carbonation.

S - Big citrus nose. Not much else.

T - Very pleasant but not what I was expecting and unlike any IPA I've had. It's pretty tasty but very minimal upfront hop profile. Orange, peach, mango, followed with a slight bitter finish reminiscent of the white skin between the fruit and the peel of an orange or grapefruit.

F - Nice full mouthfeel. Very smooth.

After seeing Tree House beers quickly rise to the top of the ratings ranks, I assumed foul play (or at least the proud people of Monson, MA giving overly generous ratings to their local brewery). After finally being able to sample some of the goods, my opinion has changed, but not by much. I was hoping that this was one of those beers that makes you close your eyes and just melt away. Maybe it is for some. It just didn't do it for me. Still a solid offering that deserves to be in the top 250 for now.

I hope this review, at the very least, eases the curiosity of the out-of-towners that may not get to sample this anytime soon. Don't offer up any of your cellared treasures in trade.

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - evenly opaque orange
S - citrus fruit, a bit of tropical
T - get the sweetness from the fruit, and a nice hint of bitterness at the end, very smooth!
F - a nice thick mouthfeel for an IPA
O - excellent!

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottom Line: If you get this fresh from the brewery (either growler or can), it is absolutely worth the hype. Most of the aspects of this beer have already been well covered below. A few thoughts: Don't be in a hurry with this one - some of the more subtle fruit flavors like peach come out as it warms up a bit. Perhaps what I like most is the balance between citrus/fruit flavors and the hoppy bitterness --nicely proportioned. If I had to choose only one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it (although still need to try Tree House's King Julius and Juice Machine).

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an exceptional beer. Pours a perfect orange color with thin lacy head. Flavor is full of candied citrus fruits. Mouthfeel is probably the weakest point of the beer, but we are really nitpicking here. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Big on the plush fruits and hazy body - lots of juice with a malty enough base to even suggest some chew. A really delicious brew that deserves a rank with many of the best. Certainly not something you pass up on if you haven't tried.

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Surprisingly delicious and not overpoweringly hoppy like many IPAs. Definite citrus flavor and smell. Quite refreshing and not overly dry or bitter.

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours opaque golden rod, small white cap good lacing.

Aroma/Flavor: Assertive orange juice, with a hint of grapefruit zest, and dank earthyness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a hint too much hoppy grittiness and apparent bitterness if I'm splitting hairs.

4.24/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Opaque orange color with a thin white lacing ring.

S - Intense vinous, orange creamsickle aroma. Period.

T - Follows the nose - vinous, orange creamsickle with orange resin on the back end.

M - Medium body.

O - A great beer but a tad overrated, IMO.

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12/21/15 batch still going strong

A- Beautiful cloudy dark golden orange
N- Ton of citrus, slight tropical fruit
T- Pretty much same as the smell, citrus up front, tropical finish. Excellent.
M- Same as every tree house IPA, chewy and delicious.
O- This is another awesome beer by my favorite brewery (even though I can only get in trades). Only negative is it is TOO easy to drink!

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks Steve!

Opaque with haze, but no floating particulate. Medium white head.

Orange and citrus nose, sweetish without leaning super tropical.

Again got orange and grapefruit, not much of the sweeter mango notes.

Medium bodied IPA.

Overall and excellent beer, I think it suffered a bit from me having a Doppelganger from a growler just before. The Doppelganger was much more aromatic.

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My first Tree House beer. Pretty much lived up to the hype. Smelled delicious and tasted the same. Too bad west coasters have a hard time getting this.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company