Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,530
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 282 | Hads: 1,983
4.44/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden orange with a thick milkshake head. The nose is fresh squeezed orange juice. Goes down so smooth. Citrus, fresh naval oranges, and subtle pine resin notes. Delicious!

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: looks like juice...orange and murky, lovely. S: fruity, oranges, some tropical fruit. T: did I say juice? Tropical fruits, nice citrus presence...delicious. M: creamy, on the heavy side for an IPA. O: this is my new favorite IPA...just a delight...

The beer pours an apricot syrup.
As soon as the can is opened dank orangey, papaya fruit rolls out.
Tastes like you are sucking on a citrusy hop starburst. The mouthfeel is deceptively smooth for a beer that is this sticky. Slight dankness, but the most flavor is a pungent sweet orange juice. I would give this beer to someone who says they don't like IPA's because they are too bitter.

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Received in a trade, only 8 days old.

I have to start by saying this beer does not look as pretty as most in a glass. It is super hazy.
Besides that, this brew is amazing.
It starts off with great tropical aromas, but when you taste it you can tell why it is so highly rated. The malt in this beer tastes great, light and biscuity, and after only a few seconds it gives way to those juicy, tropical hops.
The balance is amazing.
Another great New England beer, sorry West coast, but I think your time is up.

4.31/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really enjoyable and drinkable, but honestly I was a touch underwhelmed following the hype this has. I definitely preferred Sap, but I wouldn't turn Julius down!

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: You know it's Julius. Cloudy, tangerine color.

S: Bright, citrusy, juicy.

T: Tropical and citrusy. Unfortunately it's almost to the point where it reminds me of Tang.

F: Creamy for an IPA. I would prefer a little more of a bite.

O: I can understand the hype behind this beer with all-natural ingredients producing a lot of flavor. Sometimes enough is enough and subtleties are more appreciated though.

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had this a couple times before, but got a handful of really fresh cans from BA wuntrikpony, and after cracking a couple this weekend, I was inspired to write down my thoughts. Enjoyed out of the "new" can design with a canning date of 9/2. Poured into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

Appearance (4.25) - Right off the bat, the appearance is somewhat self-contradictory. On one hand, I might describe it as "murky", given the fact that the liquid is saturated with particulate, which prevents any ability to see through the glass whatsoever. However, one doesn't usually associate the word "murky" with something as vibrant and glowingly bright as the color of Julius. A golden orange hue beams out of the glass, as if the liquid is absorbing and then projecting all the sunlight it absorbs. If I didn't know better, I would say I just poured a glass of orange juice from this beer can. The head is a creamy, towering three and a half fingers of off-white that retains for several minutes before slinking away to reveal swaths of sticky lace and a persistent presence of moderately thick film across the surface of the liquid.

Smell (4.5) - The aroma wafting out of the can upon first cracking it is incredibly enticing, with veins of orange zest, sweet grapefruit and clementine, balanced/complemented by an fainter undercurrent of herbal notes, reminiscent of basil, thyme, and perhaps even some hints of floral nectar. But the citrus is clearly the star of this. Malt is only present enough to provide a little bready foundation for the fruity hop notes to shine.

Taste (4.75) - I know it's not terribly descriptive, but WOW. I'm simply floored by how seamlessly the explosion of citrus and tropical fruit integrates with herbal notes--nothing bitter like pine or spruce, but more like basil or maybe marjoram. Tangerine and sweet grapefruit come through the most, but there is plenty of dryness to balance out the perception of the sweeter flavor profiles. Upon subsequent drinks, I start to get some mango and perhaps nectarine to balance out the citrus.

Mouthfeel (4.75) - Medium-bodied and moderate carbonation, with a juicy feel that finishes dry.

Overall (4.75), this might be my favorite IPA. It's juicy and fruity but with plenty of counterbalance to avoid it becoming one-note. I could drink multiple in a single setting if I had ample supply, but I tend to try and stretch it to no more than one per day so that I can truly enjoy everything that it has to offer. A fantastic beer from Tree House and one that I'm so glad they started to can. I plan on trying to continue trading for this into the future.

Wow. Just wow. My second ever 5 on BA. Canned on 9/2. Pours an absolutely beautiful murky, hazy, cloudy, orange and peach. The nose is stunning. I could use this stuff as cologne every day. Orange, peach, mango, tangerine, passion fruit, so tropical and citrusy, just bursting out of my tulip. The taste doesn't disappoint. Perfectly sweet orange and peach upfront, transforms into a luscious mango before finishing with juicy tangerine. If the taste wasn't amazing enough, the mouth feel is possibly my favorite of any beer to date. It has a creamy and mouth covering feel that goes down so smooth and leaves a nice bitter tangerine aftertaste in your mouth. Will definitely seek out any tree house I can get my hands on after this experience.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Deep orange. Very little head; 1/8 inch but fairly creamy. No transparency.
Smell: Fresh citrus hop aroma; blood orange (passionfruit?). Slight brown sugar richness.
Taste: Pretty rich; brown sugar thing going on. Definitely more of a bitter orange peel flavor than some citrusy beers. Fairly bitter bite to it.
Feel: Smooth mouth covering but that bitterness hits the back of the tongue a little aggressively.
Overall: Unique among the style. Richer (maltier?) than most. Very delicious though, well balanced throughout but can't call it a 5 because of that off bitterness.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When you first pour the beer you see the bright orange color and immediate smell the citrus. Definitely what you would expect looking at the can. The hazy beer drinks super smooth with just the right amount of bitterness as it finishes. Love it every time I get the chance to have one. Cheers

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

3.92/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I felt like this was a great beer. But I think I may have got an old can from the guy I traded with because I don't feel close to how everyone else seems to feel on this. It just wasn't bursting with all these mango and papaya that I have been reading about. I still think it is a great beer but I believe it to be over-hyped. But I will definitely be seeking this out again to make sure I just didn't get an off can.

4.32/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful hazy orange color. Good mango, citrus aroma. Poor malt body and a harsh lingering bitterness. Good IPA, probably even wonderful, but not earthshatteringly awesome.

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

Can dated 8/18/15. This is my first Julius and I'm already disappointed that I don't have another one to drink after this (yet....). Pours opaque and murky almost like fresh squeezed orange juice. Immediately hit with an intoxicating aroma of oranges and ripe mango or peaches. There is also a pleasant dankness too it. Taste is just a continuation of juicy tropical fruit with a bit of citrus pith and pine aftertaste that lingers. So smooth and drinkable. I've never given a beer a 5 before but I think this deserves it. Too bad I don't have regular access this to this, cause my beer buying choices would be so much more simplified. I wouldn't need to buy anything else I don't think.

4.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally got the chance to try this and it certainly impressed. Looked like orange juice along with having an awesome aroma and nice, juicy taste. Would certainly not turn it down should I have the chance to get more. Remarkable IPA.

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz Can!

Appearance - Murky orange hue.

Smell - Citrus and dank.

Taste - Citrus and dank. Delicious.

Feel - Perfect carbonation. Medium attenuation. Very drinkable.

Overall - Very good IPA! Highly recommended!

Grade (A)

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

exceptional ipa Hazy deep orange color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. Notes of oranges, citrus pith, light pine and mild mango. Silky feel finishes clean with a medium body. This is an absolute stunning IPA in every way

Here it is, the last of a 4-pack. I already know it's the best IPA I've ever had, and the only IPA to which I've given all 5s, but now I'll do a formal review. 16 oz. can into a tulip glass.

A - This thing really pours like orange juice. And not Tropicana; I mean the fresh squeezed stuff. It looks like a peach if the skin of a peach were liquefied. It's really an unbelievable color. It just brightens up the room.

N - Peach juice. Tangerine juice. Juicy juicy juicy. It's the juiciest beer I've ever smelled. Not quite sure how they do this.

T - Gosh, the flavors and maltiness and hoppiness are just blended together so perfectly. It's orange hop juice with a hint of alcohol. It's clean on the finish, and just unbelievably drinkable. It's just so damn impressive. And I REALLY don't like IPAs very much. I would drink one of these every day.

M - As with all the rest of the TH line, this thing immediately froth-ifies in my mouth. It coats everywhere and goes down incredibly smoothly. Extremely well-crafted.

O - There you have it, folks. A perfect IPA. A perfect beer.

If I could rate this beer a solid 10 + I would...it is absolutely OFF. THE. CHARTS. AMAZING!!!!!! Color is like a milky sunset orange; it captivates and lures you in at sight. Smell is outstanding...peachy, apricot, citrus goodness. Please please PLEASE bottle this stuff as a perfume!!!! I'd douse myself in it and my boyfriend would be in sheer HEAVEN!!! Taste~okay here is where we get a little crazy because up until this point it's been a pure turn-on and tease. Let me preface this by recalling a movie entitled When Harry Met Sally. Remember Meg Ryan's rendition of a fake orgasm? At first sip, expect this beer to cause the real thing...it's mind-blowing amazing. Beautiful lacing from a pure white head, it's truly pillowy and extremely easy to drink. For me, the peachy/apricot notes are prominent upon smell, opening up to strong notes of mango, papaya and a touch of melon to taste. This beer lingers on the palate, so don't rush in for a second sip too soon! Sit back and relive that first sip for a couple minutes...the finish is amazingly smooth and fresh!! On a side note...this beer can be dangerously easy to drink and cause people to slip and say things they may be held accountable for: Honey, am I really getting a diamond engagement ring within the next 6 months???!! hehe!! ; )

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a murky orange bronze with medium white head. Lots of carbonation in this one. Smell is incredibly sweet almost like honey. Bursting with hops, lots of tropical fruits and ightly floral. I really liked this be and if it was local to me I could see it being my go-to IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got in a trade
No reason to describe it , just scroll down and look at everyone's ratings they're giving it! it's amazing! I rarely rate IPAs as high as BA beers or sours. but this one nails it! as far as IPAs go this is the king of kings!!

Do what you must to get your hands on it!

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Best IPA I have ever had, could write an in depth review of how citrusy the aromas are and the amazing mango and bitter hops but if your interested in this beer I highly recommend it

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy deep orange color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. Notes of oranges, citrus pith, light pine and mild mango. Silky feel finishes clean with a medium body. This is an absolute stunning IPA in every way.

Received in a trade with @DrunkyBuddha thanks dude!
Poured from a growler filled 08/22/15
Look: hazy golden with 3 fingers of very fluffy head that leaves nice lacing
Smell: I'm not sure I've ever smelled a beer like this. Once I opened the growler I'm hit immediately with huge citrusy dankness. As I go in for a good sniff, I get ripe peach, lots of orange, and a touch of mango and pineapple mixed with a big burst of hoppy dankness. The smell is so well balanced. I wish they made cologne that smells like this.
Taste: It does not dissapoint given how wonderful the smell is. It just continues with amazing notes of smooth cantaloupe, a myriad of citrus and dank fresh grass. The swallow invokes a little scuppernong.
Feel: Extremely smooth and has an almost fresh squeezed juice like feel to it. Medium carbonation. Each sip leaves you wanting more.
Overall: Can an IPA be better made than this? I don't think so. There are others that can stand with this but I feel like it has truly reached a level that can't be passed. Well done Tree House!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company