Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,537
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 288 | Hads: 2,010

Poured from a tallboy can. Comes in a gorgeous hazy orange color. Looks like orange juice with spot on carb and a beautiful fluffy finger and a half of off white head. The nose is hoppy oranges, pineapple, mango, and some pine..the taste follows suit. Wow..what a brilliant beer. Tastes like hoppy orange pineapple juice. I'm blown away. The hype is real. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Might be better than focal banger.

I had this fresh from the can. Absolutely bursting with flavor. It was extremely juicy on the nose and palate with a pleasing thick mouth feel. The finish was more juice balanced with hops.

this is maybe the best their is. pours a dark hazy orange, aroma is just orange and orange zest. mouthfeel is unreal. the taste is epic citrus bursting through and beautiful on the palate. Everytime I have one I am more impressed.

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone.

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own.

Seriously, This is one of the best IPA's you would ever try. The juiciness and bitterness blend so well and its so drinkable for 6.8% its scary good.

A-Beautiful hazy Orange. almost a finger head with some lacing.

N-WOW! Tangerine,Mango,Passion Fruit making a party in my nose. Those hops characters are something else.

T-Those tropical fruits are just dancing all over my tongue. Tangerine,Mango,Grapefruit,Passion fruit, and got some peach in there too. The malts are very subtle. Just a perfect juicy beer.

M-So smooth. Alcohol barely detectable. Just awesome stuff.

O-In my opinion just PERFECT.

This is the perfect IPA in my view. It takes a couple of cans to truly appreciate this brew because I initially thought it didn't live up to the hype after the first can/sip. And this is partly due to its complexity. I love the fruit in this but what separates this beer from the rest is the herbal character. You almost feel healthy drinking this. Go drink this before Tree House expands further and, God forbid, something changes about this beer (knock on wood).

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

One of the best beers on the planet. I have been lucky enough to travel the US for many years for me job and have tried most of the other brews on this top list and i always go back to thinking of how amazing this beer is.This is the BEST IPA ive ever had. I am so excited for them to begin canning in the next coming months and get my hands on some more.

Without a doubt the best IPA I have ever had. The mango and orange come together so well and the creamy finish makes this very smooth with just the right amount of bitterness. Most of the pineyness lies in the nose with citrus dominating the flavor profile. Quite different than the west-coast IPA with is very earthy/piney. 90% of beers do not live up to the hype but this certainly does.

One word to sum up this beer... outstanding!! As of late, even with the amazing beers I've been trying, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. The beer's flavors and aromas are awesome and it is ridiculously drinkable (straight out of the can, or served in proper glassware). Treehouse definitely killed it with this one! Cheers!

Been seeing the Sculpin IPA on the shelf all around Boston, scared off by the price at $15/6 pack, read some reviews, thought I give it a chance. And, JULIUS is SOOOOO much bettah. Just wish I lived closer to Tree House or it lived closer to me. I love going there and the team there is really great.

This was an absolute outstanding brew. Smelled of citrus, pineapples, oranges, mangoes and a little apricots. Taste was smooth and packed with punch. Mouthfeel was very good and finished with light bitterness. An absolutely great beer. Would drink over and over again.

Invited to drink a glass with a friend who just picked up some beer at the brewery. Incredible. Fresh, citrus, amazing after taste. One of the best I've had.

The best IPA being brewed today. Yes, better the RRBC and HT. Full of flavor, aromatic, complex to the taste. Every time I taste something else within this perfect libation. Mission Accomplished.

Just had this for the 4th time...next to a ZD and Congress St.
ZD literally was left in the dust next to these two juice bombs.
This particular Julius had about 4 weeks on it...and it was better than I remember it being on tap or a couple of weeks out canned.
This beer is special and untouchable. Too easy to drink.

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

Again I got this one from Hopsouras when he was on a business trip up in the NE. He said it had just rolled off the canning line when he was there and sent it express to me! Unbelievable! And it is Beeradvocates #1 American IPA. (I agree!)

A - Awesome dark orange color. Completely opaque with a perfect, fine white head and incredible lacing.

S - Super pungent hop fragrance with lots of orange, mango, pineapple, pine, and dankness. Absolutely amazing in the nose. Just like the best IPA should smell like. No getting around it there is a ton of hops squeezed into this beer.

T - Unbelievable flavor with the strongest orange, tangerine, passion fruit hop character predominant followed by mango, pineapple, dank, and pine notes. It is very smooth and refreshing with a light malt sweetness in the middle but very minimal compared to the hop blast. The hop bitterness is also present but not a wrecker like a DIPA, really just a nice palate cleanser.

M - Medium mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Perfect IPA feel with enough resin and malt to give it a good body but enough carb and bitterness to keep it crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I would agree with most tasters and say that this is the best (SINGLE) IPA I've ever had. Like I said the tremendous orange hop character is awesome and there is still a ton of tropical fruits, pine, and resin to really make your taste buds pop! The body and balance is great with the malt backbone. The bitterness is clean and crisp without any bite. I definitely stress the "single" IPA aspect since there isn't the alcohol, thickness, or bitter bite that comes with a DIPA but make no mistake they used "DOUBLE" the hops for this awesome beer!

Glass- Tulip

Ahhh Julius. This is my favorite IPA from treehouse, by far. Dark orange, hazy, murky deliciousness. Immediately hit with nectarine, grapefruit, peach and mango. Feels creamy and has perfect carbonation. I could drink this any day, any time, and in any weather. Perfect beer in my opinion!

L - Pours into chalice foggy-gold, with ample 1 inch head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, FRESH hop aromas, some astringent alcohol hints.

T - Citrus/orange peel, combinations of sweetish and bitter fresh hop flavors.

F - Quite effervescent. Refreshing dryness. Hop oils affect slightest slickness.

O- What an incredibly tasty and refreshing brew!

Received in a trade with @DrunkyBuddha thanks dude!
Poured from a growler filled 08/22/15
Look: hazy golden with 3 fingers of very fluffy head that leaves nice lacing
Smell: I'm not sure I've ever smelled a beer like this. Once I opened the growler I'm hit immediately with huge citrusy dankness. As I go in for a good sniff, I get ripe peach, lots of orange, and a touch of mango and pineapple mixed with a big burst of hoppy dankness. The smell is so well balanced. I wish they made cologne that smells like this.
Taste: It does not dissapoint given how wonderful the smell is. It just continues with amazing notes of smooth cantaloupe, a myriad of citrus and dank fresh grass. The swallow invokes a little scuppernong.
Feel: Extremely smooth and has an almost fresh squeezed juice like feel to it. Medium carbonation. Each sip leaves you wanting more.
Overall: Can an IPA be better made than this? I don't think so. There are others that can stand with this but I feel like it has truly reached a level that can't be passed. Well done Tree House!

A: Orange and cloudy with a 1 1/2 finger white head.

S: Wow, smells amazing!. Pineapple and peach dominate with orange, mango, and grapefruit complimenting.

T: As fresh as they get. Pineapple, grapefruit, peach and orange explode upon the first taste. Nice level of bitterness and carry's great flavor all the way through. Finishes as strong as it starts.

M: Medium body with a creamy mouth feel and mellow carbonation.

O: Great IPA! All those amazing citrus flavors and aromas with just hops is craft beer brewing at its best. I can't wait to go back and refill my growlers.

Had a growler from Tree House. Really unlike almost any other IPA I've ever had. Pours out like orange juice and smells like it too. A total juicebomb, slightly dank, super drinkable....one of my favorite single IPA's...

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

It's just so good. Totally tropical and juicy. If you can get your hands on any in California, definitely spend the $$. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. Easily top 5.

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company