Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Julius | Tree House Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

JuliusJulius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.

Added by Jason on 10-17-2012

Reviews: 395 | Ratings: 2,659

Here it is, the last of a 4-pack. I already know it's the best IPA I've ever had, and the only IPA to which I've given all 5s, but now I'll do a formal review. 16 oz. can into a tulip glass.

A - This thing really pours like orange juice. And not Tropicana; I mean the fresh squeezed stuff. It looks like a peach if the skin of a peach were liquefied. It's really an unbelievable color. It just brightens up the room.

N - Peach juice. Tangerine juice. Juicy juicy juicy. It's the juiciest beer I've ever smelled. Not quite sure how they do this.

T - Gosh, the flavors and maltiness and hoppiness are just blended together so perfectly. It's orange hop juice with a hint of alcohol. It's clean on the finish, and just unbelievably drinkable. It's just so damn impressive. And I REALLY don't like IPAs very much. I would drink one of these every day.

M - As with all the rest of the TH line, this thing immediately froth-ifies in my mouth. It coats everywhere and goes down incredibly smoothly. Extremely well-crafted.

O - There you have it, folks. A perfect IPA. A perfect beer.

A fresh pint can poured into a tulip glass. Can is undated but this can is from last weeks release.

Look: Basically looks like a cross between orange and pineapple juice. The pour left about a finger of head which dissipated rather quickly.

Smell: A massive array of tropical fruits

Taste: It's about what you expect from the aroma. Just more and more tropical fruits and get next to no bitterness at the finish

The feel and overall of this beer is off the charts and it is well deserving of it's 100 score on beer advocate.

Just ridiculously incredible in every way. Looks like a glass of extra pulp orange juice with a ton of lacing. It smells like a tropical fruit smoothy and tastes even better. The mouthfeel is creamy and prefect. It blows my mind that one brewery can make so many perfect beers. This is at the top of the list with king j, doppelganger, and very hazy.

This beer is something else. The one word that I will forever associate with Julius is FRESH! It tastes so dang fresh. The hops smell as though you were holding them fresh picked in your hands. Seriously. The flavor is off the charts and for a sub 7% abv ipa, it is packed full of hop flavor! With all that being said, this beer isn't a hop bomb like a west coast style. Its well balanced like Heady topper with a touch of sweetness to even things out. One of my favorite IPAs of all time. wow.

Poured from a tallboy can. Comes in a gorgeous hazy orange color. Looks like orange juice with spot on carb and a beautiful fluffy finger and a half of off white head. The nose is hoppy oranges, pineapple, mango, and some pine..the taste follows suit. Wow..what a brilliant beer. Tastes like hoppy orange pineapple juice. I'm blown away. The hype is real. Such a creamy mouthfeel. Might be better than focal banger.

I had this fresh from the can. Absolutely bursting with flavor. It was extremely juicy on the nose and palate with a pleasing thick mouth feel. The finish was more juice balanced with hops.

this is maybe the best their is. pours a dark hazy orange, aroma is just orange and orange zest. mouthfeel is unreal. the taste is epic citrus bursting through and beautiful on the palate. Everytime I have one I am more impressed.

Look - Vibrant Orange, opaque and pours with a nice head
Smell - Subtle, but fruity. Doesn't overpower you're senses
Taste - Amazing, hoppy, but not so much that it prevents your from tasting the citrus notes
Feel - Goes down smooth, delights your sense. It's a joy to drink this

I went in with pretty high expectations haivng had other Tree House beers and with the buzz around it. I can honestly say that this beer goes above and beyond and knocks it out of the park. I tried as much as possible to savor the experience and make it last, but you just want to take another sip and before you know it its gone.

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own.

Seriously, This is one of the best IPA's you would ever try. The juiciness and bitterness blend so well and its so drinkable for 6.8% its scary good.

A-Beautiful hazy Orange. almost a finger head with some lacing.

N-WOW! Tangerine,Mango,Passion Fruit making a party in my nose. Those hops characters are something else.

T-Those tropical fruits are just dancing all over my tongue. Tangerine,Mango,Grapefruit,Passion fruit, and got some peach in there too. The malts are very subtle. Just a perfect juicy beer.

M-So smooth. Alcohol barely detectable. Just awesome stuff.

O-In my opinion just PERFECT.

This is the perfect IPA in my view. It takes a couple of cans to truly appreciate this brew because I initially thought it didn't live up to the hype after the first can/sip. And this is partly due to its complexity. I love the fruit in this but what separates this beer from the rest is the herbal character. You almost feel healthy drinking this. Go drink this before Tree House expands further and, God forbid, something changes about this beer (knock on wood).

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

One of the best beers on the planet. I have been lucky enough to travel the US for many years for me job and have tried most of the other brews on this top list and i always go back to thinking of how amazing this beer is.This is the BEST IPA ive ever had. I am so excited for them to begin canning in the next coming months and get my hands on some more.

One word to sum up this beer... outstanding!! As of late, even with the amazing beers I've been trying, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. The beer's flavors and aromas are awesome and it is ridiculously drinkable (straight out of the can, or served in proper glassware). Treehouse definitely killed it with this one! Cheers!

Been seeing the Sculpin IPA on the shelf all around Boston, scared off by the price at $15/6 pack, read some reviews, thought I give it a chance. And, JULIUS is SOOOOO much bettah. Just wish I lived closer to Tree House or it lived closer to me. I love going there and the team there is really great.

This was an absolute outstanding brew. Smelled of citrus, pineapples, oranges, mangoes and a little apricots. Taste was smooth and packed with punch. Mouthfeel was very good and finished with light bitterness. An absolutely great beer. Would drink over and over again.

WOW. So hazy, citrusy and delicious. An absolute treat of an IPA, that is well worth the hype that it receives. The name serves it well. Canned on 2/11/16

Invited to drink a glass with a friend who just picked up some beer at the brewery. Incredible. Fresh, citrus, amazing after taste. One of the best I've had.

The best IPA being brewed today. Yes, better the RRBC and HT. Full of flavor, aromatic, complex to the taste. Every time I taste something else within this perfect libation. Mission Accomplished.

Just had this for the 4th time...next to a ZD and Congress St.
ZD literally was left in the dust next to these two juice bombs.
This particular Julius had about 4 weeks on it...and it was better than I remember it being on tap or a couple of weeks out canned.
This beer is special and untouchable. Too easy to drink.

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

Again I got this one from Hopsouras when he was on a business trip up in the NE. He said it had just rolled off the canning line when he was there and sent it express to me! Unbelievable! And it is Beeradvocates #1 American IPA. (I agree!)

A - Awesome dark orange color. Completely opaque with a perfect, fine white head and incredible lacing.

S - Super pungent hop fragrance with lots of orange, mango, pineapple, pine, and dankness. Absolutely amazing in the nose. Just like the best IPA should smell like. No getting around it there is a ton of hops squeezed into this beer.

T - Unbelievable flavor with the strongest orange, tangerine, passion fruit hop character predominant followed by mango, pineapple, dank, and pine notes. It is very smooth and refreshing with a light malt sweetness in the middle but very minimal compared to the hop blast. The hop bitterness is also present but not a wrecker like a DIPA, really just a nice palate cleanser.

M - Medium mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Perfect IPA feel with enough resin and malt to give it a good body but enough carb and bitterness to keep it crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I would agree with most tasters and say that this is the best (SINGLE) IPA I've ever had. Like I said the tremendous orange hop character is awesome and there is still a ton of tropical fruits, pine, and resin to really make your taste buds pop! The body and balance is great with the malt backbone. The bitterness is clean and crisp without any bite. I definitely stress the "single" IPA aspect since there isn't the alcohol, thickness, or bitter bite that comes with a DIPA but make no mistake they used "DOUBLE" the hops for this awesome beer!

Glass- Tulip

Ahhh Julius. This is my favorite IPA from treehouse, by far. Dark orange, hazy, murky deliciousness. Immediately hit with nectarine, grapefruit, peach and mango. Feels creamy and has perfect carbonation. I could drink this any day, any time, and in any weather. Perfect beer in my opinion!

L - Pours into chalice foggy-gold, with ample 1 inch head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, FRESH hop aromas, some astringent alcohol hints.

T - Citrus/orange peel, combinations of sweetish and bitter fresh hop flavors.

F - Quite effervescent. Refreshing dryness. Hop oils affect slightest slickness.

O- What an incredibly tasty and refreshing brew!

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company