Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

JuliusJulius

Wants: 1,342
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 193 | Hads: 1,585

One word to sum up this beer... outstanding!! As of late, even with the amazing beers I've been trying, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. The beer's flavors and aromas are awesome and it is ridiculously drinkable (straight out of the can, or served in proper glassware). Treehouse definitely killed it with this one! Cheers! (335 characters)

Been seeing the Sculpin IPA on the shelf all around Boston, scared off by the price at $15/6 pack, read some reviews, thought I give it a chance. And, JULIUS is SOOOOO much bettah. Just wish I lived closer to Tree House or it lived closer to me. I love going there and the team there is really great. (300 characters)

Invited to drink a glass with a friend who just picked up some beer at the brewery. Incredible. Fresh, citrus, amazing after taste. One of the best I've had. (157 characters)

The best IPA being brewed today. Yes, better the RRBC and HT. Full of flavor, aromatic, complex to the taste. Every time I taste something else within this perfect libation. Mission Accomplished. (198 characters)

Just had this for the 4th time...next to a ZD and Congress St.
ZD literally was left in the dust next to these two juice bombs.
This particular Julius had about 4 weeks on it...and it was better than I remember it being on tap or a couple of weeks out canned.
This beer is special and untouchable. Too easy to drink. (320 characters)

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some! (352 characters)

Again I got this one from Hopsouras when he was on a business trip up in the NE. He said it had just rolled off the canning line when he was there and sent it express to me! Unbelievable! And it is Beeradvocates #1 American IPA. (I agree!)

A - Awesome dark orange color. Completely opaque with a perfect, fine white head and incredible lacing.

S - Super pungent hop fragrance with lots of orange, mango, pineapple, pine, and dankness. Absolutely amazing in the nose. Just like the best IPA should smell like. No getting around it there is a ton of hops squeezed into this beer.

T - Unbelievable flavor with the strongest orange, tangerine, passion fruit hop character predominant followed by mango, pineapple, dank, and pine notes. It is very smooth and refreshing with a light malt sweetness in the middle but very minimal compared to the hop blast. The hop bitterness is also present but not a wrecker like a DIPA, really just a nice palate cleanser.

M - Medium mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Perfect IPA feel with enough resin and malt to give it a good body but enough carb and bitterness to keep it crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I would agree with most tasters and say that this is the best (SINGLE) IPA I've ever had. Like I said the tremendous orange hop character is awesome and there is still a ton of tropical fruits, pine, and resin to really make your taste buds pop! The body and balance is great with the malt backbone. The bitterness is clean and crisp without any bite. I definitely stress the "single" IPA aspect since there isn't the alcohol, thickness, or bitter bite that comes with a DIPA but make no mistake they used "DOUBLE" the hops for this awesome beer!

Glass- Tulip (1,708 characters)

Ahhh Julius. This is my favorite IPA from treehouse, by far. Dark orange, hazy, murky deliciousness. Immediately hit with nectarine, grapefruit, peach and mango. Feels creamy and has perfect carbonation. I could drink this any day, any time, and in any weather. Perfect beer in my opinion! (289 characters)

L - Pours into chalice foggy-gold, with ample 1 inch head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, FRESH hop aromas, some astringent alcohol hints.

T - Citrus/orange peel, combinations of sweetish and bitter fresh hop flavors.

F - Quite effervescent. Refreshing dryness. Hop oils affect slightest slickness.

O- What an incredibly tasty and refreshing brew! (362 characters)

750ml

A: Orange and cloudy with a 1 1/2 finger white head.

S: Wow, smells amazing!. Pineapple and peach dominate with orange, mango, and grapefruit complimenting.

T: As fresh as they get. Pineapple, grapefruit, peach and orange explode upon the first taste. Nice level of bitterness and carry's great flavor all the way through. Finishes as strong as it starts.

M: Medium body with a creamy mouth feel and mellow carbonation.

O: Great IPA! All those amazing citrus flavors and aromas with just hops is craft beer brewing at its best. I can't wait to go back and refill my growlers. (590 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

It's just so good. Totally tropical and juicy. If you can get your hands on any in California, definitely spend the $$. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. Easily top 5. (181 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

I describe it as the best orange Witbier combined with the best IPA. And you get JULIUS. amazing aroma of orange and other tropical fruit. Taste follows the nose with the slightest malt and bitterness to balance off one of the best IPAs ever produced! (251 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper consistent with an east coast IPA with light head that quickly dissipates and moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, strong grapefruit, orange with a trace of mango

Taste: Ah, this beer lives up to its world class rating. The balance of a moderate malt body the plays perfectly with the tropical hop flavors and bitterness. The brilliance of this beer lies in this balance. The bitterness lingers a bit but the overall citrus essence remains to the next sip

Feel: The body is surprising light, with crisp smooth finish that begs for another sip

Overall: One of the best American IPAs I have had and an exemplary example of an east coast IPA. Saddened that it is not more readily available, but is a must try for any hop head (762 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

Look : Cloudy, on the Darker side of Golden.
Smell : Citrus, potent can smell from a distance.
Taste : Juicy, Oranges with pretty much no bitterness
Feel : smooth and light, can drink several no problem
Overall : Julius how I love you, Hype well worth it (254 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype. The nose is the best I've ever experienced on an IPA (better than Heady) - huge citrus notes of orange, mango, et al (I don't really get the pineapple that a lot of people seem to mention). The taste follows the nose with a ton of citrus, but the most impressive thing is how balanced and subtle the bitterness is. There is an amazing hop oil finish to the taste that just makes you want to take another sip right away. It's extremely juicy, but still nails that balanced hop flavor that you expect from a great IPA. I could drink this all day.... (590 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a Tree House Brewing co. branded growler (per Mass. law) into a Tree House brewing co. tulip glass.

A: Pours a stunning orangey-yellow color with a finger or so of white sudsy foam. What a beauteous looking beer.

S: The aroma of mango, peach and pine invade my nose with the smell of awesomeness. There's a slight malt undertone that I also pick up. I'm going to be in for a treat here!

T: The taste follows the nose as well as it can. Mango and peach just flood my taste buds. There is a pine flavor that rounds out the hop profile. There is a considerable amount of malt action going on here as well. There is a lack of bitterness and it makes this beer extremely pleasant. I'm already on my second 750 mL growler of this tonight and still no bitterness.

M: A medium bodied brew that dries out the mouth in a subtle way. There is a good carbonation level that allows me to not chug this beer, which is ultimately a good thing. The 6.8% ABV is non existent, which is also a plus.

Overall: This is definitely the best IPA I've ever had. The tropical flavors that emits from this beer are like nothing I've ever experienced. It's not a punch you in the face IPA, but rather a balanced treat. Also, the fact that I cannot taste a hint of alcohol means that I could drink this for as long as I want to (assuming that I had an unlimited amount of this.) Tree House has themselves a true winner on their hands. What an incredible beer and experience. Wow! (1,468 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Provided by an awesome trading partner Tadd!
Received this in a growler and poured into a tulip glass.
This was bottled 10/12/13. Approximately 1 week old.
Nice floral citrus scent, pours hazy orangeish color. Nice clean ipa, very refreshing and citrusy. This beer is awesome!
I wish I had access to this on a regular basis, it's one of those beers I can drink often and not get tired of it!
I highly recommend this one! (421 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 1 pint can into a Rhode Island Brewfest IPA glass.

The color is a very hazy orange with some nice light orange to yellow highlight around the edges. There is three fingers of foamy white head and some nice thick lacing left on the glass.

The aroma is very fruity with some juicy orange flavor and some nice tangerine. There some great lemon, peach, apple, banana, and even some green grape. There also is a light grassy note that is toward the back but slightly present throughout the nose.

The taste is fruity and slightly tangy with a candy-like flavor. There is more juicy fruit flavor here that takes your senses for a ride. There are hints or tangerine, navel orange, and some banana Now & Later thrown into the mix. There is a sugary sweetness that is like an orange flavored Pixie stick at both ends of the palette as soon as this beer hits the tongue.

The feel of this beer is big and bright with a nice drinkable feel. There is a really nice smoothness here that makes this goes by easy and even when the alcohol tries to make a presence the flavor distracts from things getting too heavy. A really great and tasty IPA, (1,146 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +6%

A-Pours a turbid orange color with a great head of froth. The body has some glow and the head retains well.

S-Exactly what I want from the nose. Aromatic, ripe, exotic and juicy. Melon, citrus, pineapple. Love the wild yet structured hoppiness. A bouquet of hoppiness. A sweet, doughy maltiness rounds it out.

T-First I must comment in the beer's finish. After the initial flavors astound the taste buds, Julius finishes with an awesome, hoppy flavor that seems to be completely separate from the beginning. Every other aspect of the flavor is excellent as well. Freshly squeezed fruit juice hoppiness everywhere. Mango, abundant grapefruit, pineapple...everything I look for.

M-Very drinkable. The bitterness complements the hoppy flavors perfectly. Mellow carbonation. Juicy.

O/D-Finally got to try this. This one was very high on my hit list. Julius did not disappoint. Its just how I want my IPA to taste. The brewers are cool people too. Delicious beer.

----
8/9/14

Finally got a full growler of this awesome elixir. It has the most unique, tangy hoppiness that is almost like bubblegum at some points. I absolutely love this beer. (1,142 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

The beer comes in a deep rich orange. Looks like fruit juice with a splash of blood orange.

The aroma explodes of tropical mango, peaches, papaya, mandarin orange, sweet nectarine, white peaches, with a touch of sweetness. Literally sugary tropical fruit candy.

On the palate, one first notices a creaminess that rolls on the tongue, almost as if oats were added, despite the beer being very clean and dangerously drinkable for its ABV. The beer offers nectarine, green mango, papaya, mandarin orange/tangerine. The middle has some green grassy herbal. A good amount of yeast dough comes throughout. The finish ends with grapefruit pith. How this beer flies off the palate and the very gentle bitterness makes this drink towards a 5% brew.

This beer tastes absurdly close to an HF brew, notably Susan. I give Susan the slight edge, but this is the 2nd best IPA I’ve had. (875 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

I finally got my hands on Julius back in July. Smells just like pineapple and orange juice. Pours a typical East Coast IPA hazy yellow which I really like. Tastes so good and refreshing, so citrusy and smooth. I could enjoy this beer on the hottest summer day or cold winter evening. Highly recommended. (303 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Brilliance in a bottle is an understatement for this highly reviewed IPA. Began the evening with a 750ml bottle from the previous weekend's batch. The color pours into my Hill Farmstead tulip glass a perfect pale golden tone. The smell of orange, grapefruit, and citrus fills the air immediately when opened. Freshly squeezed orange grapefruit juice with the mild bitterness of hop to give it that classic taste. A beautifully crafted IPA and easily one I will go out of my way to try again. Cannot recommend the aesthetic quality of this enough.

---

Revised Review of the recent can releases: While the aromas and juicy flavor is still intact, it does not have the same freshness feeling as I get straight from the growler or draft. (735 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer is absolutely unbelievable! I don't know how they are doing it, but it's like drinking the best fruit juice I've ever had. The can is opened and you are hit with a peach smell that will blow your mind. The taste follows it right up. The true test is my wife loves it and she hates ipas. This is a must have (316 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

i like this beer a lot!! its loaded with fruits in the taste, more so than smell... great ipa, very easy going and super drinkable, not as extreme as sope double ipas though!! (175 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Nice orange color, immediately sets off the tones of citrus and pineapple you will pick up in the nose and on the palate.

Most important thing to note is how unique this beer is. I've never tasted a brew with this much citrus flavor coming straight from the hops and not from adding juice or lemonade on the back end. Great to sip and enjoy, but refreshing enough to handle a lot at one time.

Highly suggested! (414 characters)

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company