Julius - Tree House Brewing Company

Wants: 1,440
Tree House Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 10-17-2012

Bursting with 1.6 oz per gallon of American hops, Julius is loaded with notes of passionfruit, mango, and citrus. At 6.5% alcohol, it is refreshing and freakishly drinkable.
Reviews: 242 | Hads: 1,758

Smells like citrus. Looks like fresh squeezed orange juice. So smooth and the hops shine like bright stars. Incredible beer that I wish I could get more of.

How could a beer ever live up to this hype? Incredibly Julius does. If there's a perfect India Pale Ale, Tree House has apparently solid their souls to the devil for the recipe. Stunning color, aroma, massive citrus flavor, but the key here is that while many great IPAs push the citrus envelope, there's another layer of complexity in this beer. Perhaps its the water profile, the hop bill and schedule, house yeast, but this beer is truly exceptional and nearly in a category all its own.

Seriously, This is one of the best IPA's you would ever try. The juiciness and bitterness blend so well and its so drinkable for 6.8% its scary good.

A-Beautiful hazy Orange. almost a finger head with some lacing.

N-WOW! Tangerine,Mango,Passion Fruit making a party in my nose. Those hops characters are something else.

T-Those tropical fruits are just dancing all over my tongue. Tangerine,Mango,Grapefruit,Passion fruit, and got some peach in there too. The malts are very subtle. Just a perfect juicy beer.

M-So smooth. Alcohol barely detectable. Just awesome stuff.

O-In my opinion just PERFECT.

I almost wanted to be letdown by this beer. But I do have to say by no means was I disappointed. Pours murky looking like fresh squeezed orange juice. Smell of citrus (orange, pineapple), taste follows suit with some dank. Great hop profile with tropical fruit juiciness. I'd recommend to any hop head and then some.

One of the best beers on the planet. I have been lucky enough to travel the US for many years for me job and have tried most of the other brews on this top list and i always go back to thinking of how amazing this beer is.This is the BEST IPA ive ever had. I am so excited for them to begin canning in the next coming months and get my hands on some more.

Without a doubt the best IPA I have ever had. The mango and orange come together so well and the creamy finish makes this very smooth with just the right amount of bitterness. Most of the pineyness lies in the nose with citrus dominating the flavor profile. Quite different than the west-coast IPA with is very earthy/piney. 90% of beers do not live up to the hype but this certainly does.

One word to sum up this beer... outstanding!! As of late, even with the amazing beers I've been trying, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. The beer's flavors and aromas are awesome and it is ridiculously drinkable (straight out of the can, or served in proper glassware). Treehouse definitely killed it with this one! Cheers!

Been seeing the Sculpin IPA on the shelf all around Boston, scared off by the price at $15/6 pack, read some reviews, thought I give it a chance. And, JULIUS is SOOOOO much bettah. Just wish I lived closer to Tree House or it lived closer to me. I love going there and the team there is really great.

Invited to drink a glass with a friend who just picked up some beer at the brewery. Incredible. Fresh, citrus, amazing after taste. One of the best I've had.

The best IPA being brewed today. Yes, better the RRBC and HT. Full of flavor, aromatic, complex to the taste. Every time I taste something else within this perfect libation. Mission Accomplished.

Just had this for the 4th time...next to a ZD and Congress St.
ZD literally was left in the dust next to these two juice bombs.
This particular Julius had about 4 weeks on it...and it was better than I remember it being on tap or a couple of weeks out canned.
This beer is special and untouchable. Too easy to drink.

This is certainly the most balanced IPA I have had. I do not get the orange juice flavor everyone else seems to get. Citrusy, yes, but not like I am drinking tropicana. It is insanely crushable, the hops do not over power. I like hoppy beers, but this is so smooth.

Only regret... I only have one to drink! Worth all the hype, go trade for some!

Again I got this one from Hopsouras when he was on a business trip up in the NE. He said it had just rolled off the canning line when he was there and sent it express to me! Unbelievable! And it is Beeradvocates #1 American IPA. (I agree!)

A - Awesome dark orange color. Completely opaque with a perfect, fine white head and incredible lacing.

S - Super pungent hop fragrance with lots of orange, mango, pineapple, pine, and dankness. Absolutely amazing in the nose. Just like the best IPA should smell like. No getting around it there is a ton of hops squeezed into this beer.

T - Unbelievable flavor with the strongest orange, tangerine, passion fruit hop character predominant followed by mango, pineapple, dank, and pine notes. It is very smooth and refreshing with a light malt sweetness in the middle but very minimal compared to the hop blast. The hop bitterness is also present but not a wrecker like a DIPA, really just a nice palate cleanser.

M - Medium mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. Perfect IPA feel with enough resin and malt to give it a good body but enough carb and bitterness to keep it crisp and refreshing.

Overall, I would agree with most tasters and say that this is the best (SINGLE) IPA I've ever had. Like I said the tremendous orange hop character is awesome and there is still a ton of tropical fruits, pine, and resin to really make your taste buds pop! The body and balance is great with the malt backbone. The bitterness is clean and crisp without any bite. I definitely stress the "single" IPA aspect since there isn't the alcohol, thickness, or bitter bite that comes with a DIPA but make no mistake they used "DOUBLE" the hops for this awesome beer!

Glass- Tulip

Ahhh Julius. This is my favorite IPA from treehouse, by far. Dark orange, hazy, murky deliciousness. Immediately hit with nectarine, grapefruit, peach and mango. Feels creamy and has perfect carbonation. I could drink this any day, any time, and in any weather. Perfect beer in my opinion!

L - Pours into chalice foggy-gold, with ample 1 inch head.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, FRESH hop aromas, some astringent alcohol hints.

T - Citrus/orange peel, combinations of sweetish and bitter fresh hop flavors.

F - Quite effervescent. Refreshing dryness. Hop oils affect slightest slickness.

O- What an incredibly tasty and refreshing brew!

Received in a trade with @DrunkyBuddha thanks dude!
Poured from a growler filled 08/22/15
Look: hazy golden with 3 fingers of very fluffy head that leaves nice lacing
Smell: I'm not sure I've ever smelled a beer like this. Once I opened the growler I'm hit immediately with huge citrusy dankness. As I go in for a good sniff, I get ripe peach, lots of orange, and a touch of mango and pineapple mixed with a big burst of hoppy dankness. The smell is so well balanced. I wish they made cologne that smells like this.
Taste: It does not dissapoint given how wonderful the smell is. It just continues with amazing notes of smooth cantaloupe, a myriad of citrus and dank fresh grass. The swallow invokes a little scuppernong.
Feel: Extremely smooth and has an almost fresh squeezed juice like feel to it. Medium carbonation. Each sip leaves you wanting more.
Overall: Can an IPA be better made than this? I don't think so. There are others that can stand with this but I feel like it has truly reached a level that can't be passed. Well done Tree House!

A: Orange and cloudy with a 1 1/2 finger white head.

S: Wow, smells amazing!. Pineapple and peach dominate with orange, mango, and grapefruit complimenting.

T: As fresh as they get. Pineapple, grapefruit, peach and orange explode upon the first taste. Nice level of bitterness and carry's great flavor all the way through. Finishes as strong as it starts.

M: Medium body with a creamy mouth feel and mellow carbonation.

O: Great IPA! All those amazing citrus flavors and aromas with just hops is craft beer brewing at its best. I can't wait to go back and refill my growlers.

Had a growler from Tree House. Really unlike almost any other IPA I've ever had. Pours out like orange juice and smells like it too. A total juicebomb, slightly dank, super drinkable....one of my favorite single IPA's...

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

It's just so good. Totally tropical and juicy. If you can get your hands on any in California, definitely spend the $$. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. Easily top 5.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

I describe it as the best orange Witbier combined with the best IPA. And you get JULIUS. amazing aroma of orange and other tropical fruit. Taste follows the nose with the slightest malt and bitterness to balance off one of the best IPAs ever produced!

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a can, this beer was a bright golden-orange color with a good bit of haze and a frothy eggshell white head on top. This head stuck around awhile and mellowed slow leaving great lacing. The moment the can popped open the aroma of pineapple, citric, dank, pine resiny hops all filled the air and the release over the glass was intense. Some mango, and fresh bread and light honey aromas also came to mind. The flavor was a super drinkable citrusy, dank burst of fresh hops curtaining over a smooth, sweet malt base. The pineapple and mango tropical notes were clear in the taste too. A smooth beer with light carbonation and mellow bitter finish. Lots of flavor going on here and a top tier American IPA!! I am so glad I picked some up at the brewery and have been happily sharing it. Wish Treehouse brewery was closer.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper consistent with an east coast IPA with light head that quickly dissipates and moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, strong grapefruit, orange with a trace of mango

Taste: Ah, this beer lives up to its world class rating. The balance of a moderate malt body the plays perfectly with the tropical hop flavors and bitterness. The brilliance of this beer lies in this balance. The bitterness lingers a bit but the overall citrus essence remains to the next sip

Feel: The body is surprising light, with crisp smooth finish that begs for another sip

Overall: One of the best American IPAs I have had and an exemplary example of an east coast IPA. Saddened that it is not more readily available, but is a must try for any hop head

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

hazey golden nectar poured from the can. Reeks of orange juice and zest. beautiful bright hop aroma followed buy a juicy flavor that keeps you wanting more. Nice medium bodied almost creamy mouth feel. This is a beer worth seeking out. The hype is very real for this beer.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Look : Cloudy, on the Darker side of Golden.
Smell : Citrus, potent can smell from a distance.
Taste : Juicy, Oranges with pretty much no bitterness
Feel : smooth and light, can drink several no problem
Overall : Julius how I love you, Hype well worth it

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer absolutely lives up to the hype. The nose is the best I've ever experienced on an IPA (better than Heady) - huge citrus notes of orange, mango, et al (I don't really get the pineapple that a lot of people seem to mention). The taste follows the nose with a ton of citrus, but the most impressive thing is how balanced and subtle the bitterness is. There is an amazing hop oil finish to the taste that just makes you want to take another sip right away. It's extremely juicy, but still nails that balanced hop flavor that you expect from a great IPA. I could drink this all day....

Julius from Tree House Brewing Company