Follow our progress ...

King JuliusKing Julius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 506
4.67/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

See the review of Julius, now take that on turbo mode... Honestly though, I would take Julius over this in a blind taste test. King J is a special treat, for sure, but the extra everything pushes this into the category of over the top. Very Green and Very Hazy do a much better job at pushing the limits while adding something special to the base beers. King J has the hype for sure, I mean, come on, you take perhaps the best IPA in the world, Julius, and put "King" in front of it? Craziness on all fronts. Still, and exceptional Treehouse offering, surprise surprise.

This is one of only maybe 4-5 beers I've had that I would give an absolute perfect score. I was very lucky to have this as my very first Treehouse Beer when I wandered to Monson MA one fateful day to see what the brewery was all about, and it happened to be a King Julius release.

Look: Incredible. Unlike Julius which has a one dimensional orange color throughout, KJ has shades of bright glowing orange that deepen towards the middle of the body. This thing is so juicy and tropical looking, it wouldn't seem out of place inside of a coconut with a little umbrella in it and a curly straw.

Aromas: Smells like fruit juice. Orange, mango, peach, just a melange of smooth tropical fruit. While there is a lot on the nose of Julius, KJ really smacks you in the face.

Taste: Think of a tropical fruit smoothie with carbonation. Seriously. This doesn't taste like beer. This is by far, hands down, the juiciest beer I've ever had. Follows the nose to a T.

Feel: Julius is the 101 guide to perfect mouthfeel. One might think that KJ might not live up to the velvety mouthfeel of the medium bodied Julius, but the full bodied DIPA that is KJ somehow manages to keep the exact same perfectly smooth mouthfeel Julius has, despite how much bigger and more full bodied it is. Very impressive.

Overall: Like I said before, this beer is perfect (and I don't say that lightly). It's almost a shame I had KJ before I had Julius, because Julius will forever live in this beers shadow in my mind.

Everything about this beer screams DELICIOUS!
Highly pleasing to the senses, especially to taste or smell:

I'm blessed to be close enough to Treehouse and several other excellent breweries. This Beer Is in my Top 5 and my top 5 consists of about 15.

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had at Huna Day on a share. Was slightly old but would have expected it to hold up better for being a double. I also fully acknowledge I am a TG fanboy. I had alongside Julius, Todd the Axeman and Pseudo Sue. Thought regular Julius was way better but would but Todd the Axeman above all of them.

4.94/5  rDev +4.2%

Best Double IPA I've had the opportunity to try. Super juicy, so easy to drink. Absolutely worth the hype that it gets. Hope to get a ton more of this in the future

Truly fit for a King. A creamy tropical smoothie, incredibly soft on the pallet. Insanely juicy and thirst quenching, all hail King Julius! Tree house can do no wrong

Never thought I'd be doing this. Pours out haze4daze. Can't see a thing through it. Looks like orange juice. Smells like a fruit smoothie with orange, pineapple, peaches and other passion fruits. Taste is an explosive melange of smooth fruits. No way this is beer. So smooth and creamy. The best dipa and probably the best hoppy beer ever invented.

4.88/5  rDev +3%

Poured a hazy juicy looking peach orange from the can. The nose didn't punch me in the face like Julius did but it still smells fantastic with citrus and tropical fruit aroma. The mouth feel was soft and it tasted so juicy with a very fleeting rind bitterness that just made this an excellent IPA.

4.19/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This just missed the mark for me. Still a nice beer, but I think the subtle juicyness and upping the hop & malt bill don't quite mix. The nose and taste add a distinctive vegetal flavor to the typical Julius "straight juice homey". I'll stick to the regular Julius for now.

Can pours golden orange with great haze, juicy orange nose, amazingly smooth fruit, hops, juice blend. Great hop flavor with no bitterness whatsoever. As a huge fan of Julius, this was everything I had hoped for...

Hail to the King!
Pours a golden orange/yellow colors.
Smells like a citrus fruit bomb.
Tastes like a citrus fruit bomb. Almost no hop character. The fruit lingers longer than any other IPA I've had.
Creamy, smooth and fuzzy.

Simply the best IPA I've ever had. It takes Julius to another level. First time I had it I was blown away. I've had it more than 4 times, and every time, I'm reminded by how good it is.

4.29/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good, lots of citrus in this beer, but not as balanced as Julius. Orange and tangerine came to mind, with a hint of grapefruit. Also some tropical fruit, mango and peach. The alcohol was present too. Overall very good beer, but not as good as I'd hoped.

4.99/5  rDev +5.3%

L- Golden Orange, a nice amount of white head on the pour, fairly hazy

S-Great juicy nose. I get grapefruit, orange, mango, pineapple sweetness.

T-The taste follows the aroma. Great tropical flavor and hardly any bitterness. A little dank lingering taste.

F-Very light. A nice clean mouthfeel.

O- Wow really great beer that lives up to the hype for me. Just wish I could come across this one more frequently!

4.12/5  rDev -13.1%

Sample at EBF 2016
Hazy orange amber color. Huge juicy citrus tropical light earth and pine nose. Sweet bready malt big hop flavor mild hop bitterness. Another great beer from Tree house!

4.85/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! Poured from can into pint glass.. Sweet bouquet of fruits, hops and other residuals. Murky orange color with a solid white head that did not die. Well balanced and not as hoppy as I expected for a DIPA. Flavors rest well on the palate with moderate bitterness. Another outstanding beer by those at Treehouse!!

4.75/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had King Julius and Julius side by side, both fantastic beers, wish I had an endless supply of both.
King Julius has a brighter deeper color, amp'd up flavor and nose. Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

"It's good to be king" is what's printed on the bottom of the can, and no that's not much of an exaggeration. I will admit my first few sips didn't wow me as much as I expected them to, but as I got further into it the orange juice started to flow more and more across my taste buds. I won't say it blew me away as much as the standard Julius did last year, if only because I knew what I was getting myself into this time. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a world class DIPA that is worth tracking down. King Julius might be bit overrated (given how it skyrocketed into the top 10, that's almost impossible not to say), but it's definitely worthy of Tree House's top 3 IPAs.

4.44/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pre-Doppelganger, a heavyweight bout of some Tree House big boys.

A- Pale body with an orange tinge and a massive cloud of residual hop particles clouding the glass heavily. Milky even. A fairly thick white creamy cap ascends to over a finger in my tulip with good retention. Lacing stays around with whispy webs.

S- Hops are beyond intense and pungent with orange juice and tropical fruit juice competing for dominance while they both lead into dank herbs, floral and stone fruit notes. Hops o plenty with a spiffy clean yeast ferment and pale cracked grain hints.

T- The fresh squeezed orange juice is strong with this one as it reminds me of the glorious aftertaste of OJ, the citrus is compounded with a semi bitter ruby red grapefruit flesh and juicy feel. Tropical fruit nectar is also very strong here with mango, peach and some passionfruit playing with intense dank weed. Beyond the barrage of fruits is floral, herbal, slight pine, pale cereal grain and the slightest sweetness.

MF- Medium bodied with a semi chewy creaminess and certain frothy texture. Carbonation rains down on the palate at a high level promoting supreme hop pungency. Moderately clean bitter ending.

What more can I say? Tree House is the boss of the hops. This isn't my personal favorite of the TH IPAs but it once again shows they know what they are doing and can get a certain flavor profile with intense hop bills.

4.87/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this at least 10 times, both out of the can and out of the growler, no more than a week old. No other beer I've had has made me burp up more hop flavor than KJ. Everything you love about Dr. J, but turned up to 11. Juicy beyond juicy, great out of the can or in a glass. A true treat. Trade whatever you can to get some of this fresh!

4.39/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a kind of ugly turbid brownish copper color with a nice, fluffy off-white head. Definitely not a looker, but neither are a lot of great beers. We move on.

S: Much better. Like a Costco frozen tropical fruit medley smoothie. Orange pulp, light pineapple and guava, maybe even a little bit of strawberry and some powdery malt in the background.

T: To be totally honest, this doesn't live up to the hype for me. Way more malt forward than I was expecting and the heaviness of the malt takes away from everything under it. Some honey and orange in here, along with maybe a little bit of pineapple. The smoothness is pretty remarkable in this and there's not much in the way of bitterness, just a kiss of pine resin and lingering orange pulp on the finish. A very tasty beer, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above the rest of Tree House's other IPAs.

4.81/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

King Julius was the top hoppy beer for me at EBF. Everything I love about Julius, but taken up another notch. So juicy and so balanced for a double IPA. Tremendous.

4.68/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Anyone who has had Julius will know what they are in for with this one. Great pulpy, juicy flavor that is like a fresh squeezed glass of OJ. Pretty similar to the original, which I preferred a tad more (along with Curiosity 22). Both seemed to have a little better nose and brighter tropical flavors. Still, this is really great.

4.81/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a pint can into tulip glasses, purchased 1/29/16:

Appearance: golden-orange and quite hazy, though no sediment is visible. Huge, lingering white head that leaves tons of sticky lace rings as the brew is drunk.

Aroma: ridiculously pungent hop aroma, tons of tropical fruit, citrus, etc. No malt whatsoever evident. Smells incredibly refreshing and crisp. Individual fruit flavors that I can pick out amongst the hops are peach, orange, and maybe some mango.

Taste: following the smell, it's an incredibly fresh and potent punch of hops. Saturates the palate with tropical smoothie type flavors, with peach, orange, and pineapple present. Not much in the way of bitterness; perhaps a little dankness on the finish. OVerall, though, it's pretty much a straight-up juice bomb.

Feel: thick, with a medium body, and medium carbonation. Leaves a lingering stickiness on the palate that begs for another sip.

Overall: I only got a couple cans of this brew, but they were worth the long drive and wait. I do not know how Tree House gets so much flavor out of hops, but I will happily savor the results.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 1 pint can purchased at Tree House Brewing Company, Monson, MA
01 28 16
Served in a snifter

Totally opaque, dull orangey-amber appearance. One of the cloudiest beers I have ever seen. The liquid was topped by a creamy, frothy, finger tall, eggshell colored crown that quickly dropped to a barely there film. A bubbly collar encircled the liquid. After every sip, a thin wall of lacing coated the glass, but it quickly broke apart into small droplets.

The aroma was super hoppy and very citrusy. Orange notes dominated. Uber juicy and sweet. Tangerine came through as well. Tropical fruits were also quite noticeable. Loads of mango. Good amount of peach. Really fruity and bright.

The flavor profile featured more of the same. It was super hoppy and very citrus forward. Loads of juicy orange and tangerine notes. Slightly sweet. Orange sherbet came to mind. Intense peach and apricot notes. Some overripe mango as well. The beer finished with notes of candied orange peel and just a hint of rind-like pith. At 8.2% ABV, this drank amazingly well.

The mouthfeel was uber frothy and smooth. Medium bodied for the style. Fluffy and supple on the palate. Pillowy soft. The beer contained a fine, zippy effervescence.

King Julius is an incredibly juicy and flavorful double IPA, but perhaps it was a bit more one dimensional than I had hoped. While the beer displayed some amazing bright and intense citrus notes, it could have been more complex.

Everything it's cracked up to be. Treehouse can do no wrong. Unicorns, show ponies , where's the beef! Amazing awesome fantastic, so good. Just trying to get to 150 characters.

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company