Follow our progress ...

King JuliusKing Julius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 508

Tasted in Tulip glass poured from a 16 oz can. I know TH beers are intended to be had super fresh, but I tend to like the cans with a little time on them to allow the contents to acclimate to its environment - for this beer the anticipation was too great.

Look - Hazy-Orange as expected. Clearly carbonated with a big fluffy white head.

Smell - Heaven. Orange citrus, tropical fruit, and a slight heavenly funk. The aromas brought an instant smile to my face. That classic Julius smell that fills the brewery when it's on for the week.
Taste - Wow! Just like the smell, tons of citrus and tropical fruit. So hard to believe this beer is 8.2% because it is soooo smooth, creamy, juicy, but with an awesome hoppy finish on the palate.

Feel - Creamy, full bodied, pillows of citrus goodness. So well balanced with a crisp refreshing carbonation.

Overall - My favorite DIPA to date, hard to believe this is a 97 and Julius is 100. Love Julius but King J is on another level. Can't wait to try this after a week in its vessel. Like all TH beers allow this to come to temp in can for at least 15-20 minutes if you can - you will be rewarded with more intense aromas and taste. This is another 100 for me and not because it's my favorite brewery, Tree House is my favorite brewery because they brew the best beers IMHO. Cheers!

16oz can poured into a Treehouse Teku glass - Thanks Leo!

A - pours like juice. Hazy, orange juice in a glass. Solid finger of bright white head. Completely opaque.

N - insanely aromatic. Maybe the most pungent beer I've ever smelled. Its a fruit explosion. Oranges, mangoes, peaches, pineapple. If you were blindfolded you'd never guess this was beer. Julius cranked up to 1000.

T - insane, dumb, and stupid were the first words that came to mind. Its orange, mango, pineapple juice. Its not beer. Its every tropical fruit you can imagine thrown in a blender.

O - might be TH's best beer they make. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had.

Got cans and a growler from brewery.
Appearance: Deep, hazy orange.
Aroma: Orange is the main culprit.
Taste: Juicy, orange, other tropical fruits like Mango, smooth, soft, clean finish.
Overall: I have had all the great hops (both Pliny's, Heady, Hillfarm, Lawson's) but I can safely say this is the best of the best. A perfect 5 in the style. To me all the Tree House beers are amazing and 5's, but this one is special). Cheers!

This beer sets the bar for DIPAs. This is what to expect from the future. L- cloudy, hazy orange, seemingly similar to the pithy dankness of orange juice. S- the smell of oranges, orange dreamsicle and rind over take the nose like whirlwind and bit with overbearing fruitness. Citrus. Juice. Orange. And maybe a hint of mango. T- i've had orange juice that was boozier than this. Crushing the game with pure orange. Juice citrus. As if i had just freshly squeezed orange juice. This beer kills me. F- as usually, Tree Houses signature pillowy mouthfeel overwhelms and gives you a full blown mouth orgasm. True to beer beer form. If there was a better beer, please lead me the way. Otherwise, shut up and let me enjoy this perfect brew.

Bottom line up front, this is an amazing beer.

I docked the appearance since the head disappeared pretty quickly and left minimal lacing, but I love the cloudiness. First smell is a tidal wave of peaches, then other tropical fruits. Taste is more orange up front and dries out smooth on the back end. This beer could not be much better.

Hail to the King!
Pours a golden orange/yellow colors.
Smells like a citrus fruit bomb.
Tastes like a citrus fruit bomb. Almost no hop character. The fruit lingers longer than any other IPA I've had.
Creamy, smooth and fuzzy.

Simply the best IPA I've ever had. It takes Julius to another level. First time I had it I was blown away. I've had it more than 4 times, and every time, I'm reminded by how good it is.

Opened a week after canning. After opening the can the room was immediately filled with big hop and fruit aromas. In the glass this smells like a giant glass of orange juice with every delicious juicy fruit mixed in. Just an amazing smell. This beer tastes like it smells, a wonderful juicy bomb of citrus and hoppiness. Minimal bitterness and a well balanced profile make the 8% alcohol in this beer dangerously hard to find. This is truly one of the best IPAs I have ever had. In my mind tied with King Sue and DDH Fort Point Pale Ale. Well worth what it takes to get this beer.

bought from brewery 1/30/16 and drank next day

poured into a tulip glass. the amazing experience began with the visual...creamy slight head, beautiful orange hue with a creaminess to the body. then the aroma..brought me back to a fresh fruit buffet in hawaii, mango, papaya, pineapple ..maybe lime?? beautiful tropical bouquet yet it cant hide the danky hops within. from the minute it hits the mouth, its creaminess is welcoming, the fruits make their mark and you get maybe the best finish ever with the hops taking over in a complimentary fashion with zero bitterness. it all blends into the damn finest beer Ive ever had. Well worth the 45 minute wait, i just wish the limit was more than two 16oz cans. i should note that the KJ was sandwiched in between a Maine Dinner and a Heady. While the Dinner is amazing in its own right, the King was just a tad more special. So good that the Heady Topper i drank afterwards tasted dare i say...ordinary in comparison.

I thought Julius couldn't get any better, I was wrong. This beer did not disappoint. As soon as you crack the can you can tell how awesome it is. The tropical explosion starts with the aroma and stays all the way to the end with mango standing out above all the flavors to me. Amazing beer.

The beer comes in a medium gold color, extremely turbid. Mango smoothie color in a glass.

The aroma offers orange creamsicle, mango sorbet, pineapple, tons of sweet peach, passionfruit, bubble gum, dominated by hops.

The beer follows with tons of orange Starburst, Gobstoppers, mango smoothie, pineapple puree, onto a big smack of grassy and rich herbaceous green quality with a medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is chewy and soft. The intensity of tropical fruits is almost unmatched. This pushes Julius to another level that Green offers. A combination with even more as it a bigger beer.

The appearance of this beautiful! Turbid, but cautious as not to appear "murky". Bright apricot/orange hue, just like the TH in the label. Stunner. #Hazefordaze

This is a beer I could smell for days. Tons of fresh squeezed pulpy OJ, mango and pineapple puree. Each sniff was even more complex, notes of guava, passion fruit, fruit stripe gum. Just an absolute explosion of tropical fruit juice, the best I've ever had for the style.

As far as the taste goes, this I tell you is even more complex. Served in a TG Teku 55F, this beer jumps out of the glass and into your mouth. Creamy, velvety with medium bitterness, this is truly like drinking a tropical smoothie. Takes the flavors of Julius into Green territory of tropical notes, has a nice soft OJ finish. Just a #gusher

Feel: Well, I already stated what dem feelz are like. Creamy, velvety, and pleasantly bitter.

Overall: The best of the best. Believe the hype. Best Double IPA I've ever had. #Hunnits

This was my first time trying any treehouse brew. I acquired a few of these in a trade, and I am blown away. The color is something ive never seen before, a hazy orange juice look. The aroma about knocked me out, and after tasting it... I'd be happy if this was the only brew I could drink for the rest of my life. Wow. This is the only time Ive given a perfect 5, and as hard as it is for me to do, this certainly deserves it.

Never thought I'd be doing this. Pours out haze4daze. Can't see a thing through it. Looks like orange juice. Smells like a fruit smoothie with orange, pineapple, peaches and other passion fruits. Taste is an explosive melange of smooth fruits. No way this is beer. So smooth and creamy. The best dipa and probably the best hoppy beer ever invented.

Truly fit for a King. A creamy tropical smoothie, incredibly soft on the pallet. Insanely juicy and thirst quenching, all hail King Julius! Tree house can do no wrong

Having now had this a couple times in a week since its rerelease, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the perfect beer regardless of classification. Here's the thing it's not the first 5 that I've given out, and no doubt because Julius is perfect to me, I simply had to grade this the same- and normally when we compare beers that are a 97 vs a 98 there's just subtle nuances that distinguish them. This is the same only Julius is a 100, this is a 103- soft, citrus explosion w tremendous mouth feel and hop profile... seek w confidence, I suspect it'll be out more soon, but if you gotta friend, hit him up!

This beer looks perfect poured out.. completely opaque and just bright orange color. if you smelled this not knowing you would not think its beer.. its like fresh squeezed citrus juice.. that taste is amazing... its too smooth for 8.2% you could drink these all night because it is so good and so smooth.. mouthfeel is perfect... I would not change anything about this beer except for me having more!

Everything about this beer is so tree house, and so delicous. Its so similar to Julius but with more tropical punch and more alcohol, but just as smooth as anything they make. yummy.

What can I say? This beer is phenomenal, a boosted version of Julius. You can smell from the glass a distance away. Cloudy Golden orange color. Smells like fresh citrusy hops bursting out with a matching taste. Perfect smooth mouth feel allows for easy drinkability. All Hail King Julius

Everything about this beer screams DELICIOUS!
Highly pleasing to the senses, especially to taste or smell:

I'm blessed to be close enough to Treehouse and several other excellent breweries. This Beer Is in my Top 5 and my top 5 consists of about 15.

Poured from a can into #ProperGlassware

L: Pours a glowing yellowy orange that reminds me of an extremely pulpy orange juice. This beer literally looks like it's glowing. It's almost reminiscent of a tequila sunrise because the bottom is such a deep orange and the top has a yellow hue. Seeing that appearance is so important to taste, my eyes tell me that I will like this beer very much.

S: As I shove my nose into the glass I am dominated with citrusy goodness. I didn't need to even be close to my glass to catch the huge notes of orange and mango. There's a bit of papaya and I even catch a faint scent of wheat. This smells outstanding. I could literally sniff this beer all day.

T: Gigantic notes of said orange, mango and papaya destroy my palate. There's a nice malt presence, but we all know that the hops are the stars of this show. There's a moderate level of bitterness which reminds me that this is not a glass of tropical fruit juice. It's probably better this way.

F: I guess this beer is 8.2%. Couldn't tell from how easy this goes down. Super smooth, but the word fluffy also comes to mind. There's a medium mouthfeel and it's a bit dry on the backend. The dryness could be a detriment, but ultimately it's purpose is to get me to yearn for another sip.

Overall: This is definitively one of the best beers that I've ever had. Easily top 5 IPA/DIPAs that I've experienced in my life. The appearance is awesome, the smell is awesome, the taste is awesome, the mouthfeel is awesome. I'll admit that I'm a Julius fanboy, but this beer is better than Julius. This is definitely on the level of Heady Topper, Double Sunshine, and HF Double Citra. This deserves every 5 that it gets. I'm glad that I am experiencing this and I wholeheartedly hope that Tree House decides to put this beer in a semi-regular rotation.

KJ 16 oz can poured into a TH snifter. A hazy-orange color when poured into the glass. Had a good amount of carbonation with decent amount of head. The smell was amazing! Aromas of citrus, orange, tropical fruit, and small amount of funk. The taste, well... yeah... this one was delicious! One of the fruitiest offerings from TH outside of Juice Machine and a few others. The beer is extremely smooth, creamy and juicy with a nice hop finish to it. This if by far one of my favorite DIPAs to date! Definitely try to get your hands on a can (or more) if possible! Cheers!

Everything it's cracked up to be. Treehouse can do no wrong. Unicorns, show ponies , where's the beef! Amazing awesome fantastic, so good. Just trying to get to 150 characters.

Everything that's great about the delicious orange and tropical fruit flavored of Julius, only intensified with a tidal wave of extra hoppiness. A marvelous, world-class DIPA. On par with the best ive ever tasted in the category.

Look - The resemblance between this and straight orange juice is insane. The ideal look in my opinion.
Smell - Oranges, mangos, and pineapples galore! Herbaceous notes under all the tropicalness. One of the best noses on a beer hands down. Unbelievable.
Taste - Follows the nose. So damn juicy! Tons of tropical juices up front w/ an herbaceous finish. Regular Julius on steroids if you can imagine that!
Feel - Succulent creamy mouthfeel. Soft bitterness that falls off the palate. No hint of the 8.2% at all!

Overall - Treehouse's best DIPA......possibility the best DIPA in the world.

This is the best IPA / Double IPA I have ever had. It is somehow juicier than Julius and no boozy taste. It smells great and is absolutely delicious. I did a blind taste test with Julius, In Perptuity, and Alter Ego and this easily was the best out of the four beers. Hope to come across this one more often, hopefully Treehouse makes this one a regular.

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company