Follow our progress ...

King JuliusKing Julius

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.

Added by jlindros on 12-09-2012

Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 511
4.12/5  rDev -13.1%

Sample at EBF 2016
Hazy orange amber color. Huge juicy citrus tropical light earth and pine nose. Sweet bready malt big hop flavor mild hop bitterness. Another great beer from Tree house!

4.12/5  rDev -13.1%

This might have been the most disappointing beer I have had to date from Tree House, since in my mind I was imagining a DIPA that would equate to an even better version of Julius.

What I got was a boozier variant of Julius with markedly less orange flavor throughout, one that felt more like an experimental beer than one worthy of the title of king.

Was it worth the 1-hour wait in line for a 750ml growler of this beer? Yes, because everyone at the brewery (not just the staff but all the beer drinkers waiting in line) was super cool and, ultimately, I got to share a rare beer with friends, all whom appreciated that fact. Would I do it again? No, since there are many other better DIPA's out there on the market.

In a way, I am glad that this beer did not blow me away. It means that there is one less whale of a beer for me to chase and one more person in line at Tree House who gets to take home a growler fill.

In conclusion, Julius is clearly the better beer.

4.19/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This just missed the mark for me. Still a nice beer, but I think the subtle juicyness and upping the hop & malt bill don't quite mix. The nose and taste add a distinctive vegetal flavor to the typical Julius "straight juice homey". I'll stick to the regular Julius for now.

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had at Huna Day on a share. Was slightly old but would have expected it to hold up better for being a double. I also fully acknowledge I am a TG fanboy. I had alongside Julius, Todd the Axeman and Pseudo Sue. Thought regular Julius was way better but would but Todd the Axeman above all of them.

4.28/5  rDev -9.7%

Shared side by side with a Julius.

A: bright orange, cloudy/murky. Decent amount of white to light yellow head with a fair amount of sticky lacing. Head disapated quickly, much quicker than Julius. If you like Tang hen you will like the appearance of this.
S: by far the strong suit of this beer, multiple citrusy elements, mango, pineapple, grapefruit.
T: a let down, th citrus elements quickly vanish and leave a slight piney residue which is not evident on the nose. It actually new up tasting more like Julius in waiting. Not sure what happened but Julius tastes better.
M: actually a bit thin for the style.
O: would not try too hard to trade for this unless your a ticker. Glad a friend offered to share and I didn't give up the farm. While a very good beer, there are plenty more DIPA's far more accessible and just as good and many much better.

4.29/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good, lots of citrus in this beer, but not as balanced as Julius. Orange and tangerine came to mind, with a hint of grapefruit. Also some tropical fruit, mango and peach. The alcohol was present too. Overall very good beer, but not as good as I'd hoped.

4.32/5  rDev -8.9%

16 oz. can. Hazy deep orange. Darker at the bottom of the pour, like peach juice where the pulp settles to the bottom. Smell is tropical fruits. Mango, orange. Some sweetness. Tastes tropical as well, with more emphasis on the orange flavor. Light sugary sweetness up front. Dries out and becomes a touch bitter in the finish. Medium body. Exactly as described. A bigger version of Julius. Drank a Julius before drinking this for science. It would be impossible to ramp up the hop flavor by the same order of magnitude that the sugars are amplified. By that metric, I think I would take Julius over this.

4.39/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a kind of ugly turbid brownish copper color with a nice, fluffy off-white head. Definitely not a looker, but neither are a lot of great beers. We move on.

S: Much better. Like a Costco frozen tropical fruit medley smoothie. Orange pulp, light pineapple and guava, maybe even a little bit of strawberry and some powdery malt in the background.

T: To be totally honest, this doesn't live up to the hype for me. Way more malt forward than I was expecting and the heaviness of the malt takes away from everything under it. Some honey and orange in here, along with maybe a little bit of pineapple. The smoothness is pretty remarkable in this and there's not much in the way of bitterness, just a kiss of pine resin and lingering orange pulp on the finish. A very tasty beer, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above the rest of Tree House's other IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried once...then a 2nd...now a third. With out a doubt this is a great dbl ipa. I would take jr over this in a heart beat. However, this brew creeps on you more.

4.41/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L - Orange sunburst is the best way I can describe this. Held it up to the light and it lit up the opaque orange liquid. Cannot see through this beer.
A - Similar to Julius but kicked up to another level. Smells real nice...orange rind is what it reminds me of.
T - Again, similar taste to Julius but kicked up a notch. Lots of orange, orange rind, orange peel with a grapefruit bitterness to finish each sip.
M - This DIPA coats your mouth. Definitely lingers and clings to your palate for a few seconds....med carb. Easy to drink.
O - This is an outstanding beer. Very fortunate to have gotten my hands on a couple and very spoiled to live in MA where all of the best IPAs are coming out of right now.....between TH and Trillium, I won't search out any other IPAs!

4.44/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pre-Doppelganger, a heavyweight bout of some Tree House big boys.

A- Pale body with an orange tinge and a massive cloud of residual hop particles clouding the glass heavily. Milky even. A fairly thick white creamy cap ascends to over a finger in my tulip with good retention. Lacing stays around with whispy webs.

S- Hops are beyond intense and pungent with orange juice and tropical fruit juice competing for dominance while they both lead into dank herbs, floral and stone fruit notes. Hops o plenty with a spiffy clean yeast ferment and pale cracked grain hints.

T- The fresh squeezed orange juice is strong with this one as it reminds me of the glorious aftertaste of OJ, the citrus is compounded with a semi bitter ruby red grapefruit flesh and juicy feel. Tropical fruit nectar is also very strong here with mango, peach and some passionfruit playing with intense dank weed. Beyond the barrage of fruits is floral, herbal, slight pine, pale cereal grain and the slightest sweetness.

MF- Medium bodied with a semi chewy creaminess and certain frothy texture. Carbonation rains down on the palate at a high level promoting supreme hop pungency. Moderately clean bitter ending.

What more can I say? Tree House is the boss of the hops. This isn't my personal favorite of the TH IPAs but it once again shows they know what they are doing and can get a certain flavor profile with intense hop bills.

4.47/5  rDev -5.7%

Cloudy dull orange in color, smell is ripe citrus, and taste follows, very juicy and orange orange with nice moderate hop finish. Juicier than Julius, not as creamy but still incredible.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 1 pint can purchased at Tree House Brewing Company, Monson, MA
01 28 16
Served in a snifter

Totally opaque, dull orangey-amber appearance. One of the cloudiest beers I have ever seen. The liquid was topped by a creamy, frothy, finger tall, eggshell colored crown that quickly dropped to a barely there film. A bubbly collar encircled the liquid. After every sip, a thin wall of lacing coated the glass, but it quickly broke apart into small droplets.

The aroma was super hoppy and very citrusy. Orange notes dominated. Uber juicy and sweet. Tangerine came through as well. Tropical fruits were also quite noticeable. Loads of mango. Good amount of peach. Really fruity and bright.

The flavor profile featured more of the same. It was super hoppy and very citrus forward. Loads of juicy orange and tangerine notes. Slightly sweet. Orange sherbet came to mind. Intense peach and apricot notes. Some overripe mango as well. The beer finished with notes of candied orange peel and just a hint of rind-like pith. At 8.2% ABV, this drank amazingly well.

The mouthfeel was uber frothy and smooth. Medium bodied for the style. Fluffy and supple on the palate. Pillowy soft. The beer contained a fine, zippy effervescence.

King Julius is an incredibly juicy and flavorful double IPA, but perhaps it was a bit more one dimensional than I had hoped. While the beer displayed some amazing bright and intense citrus notes, it could have been more complex.

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a hazy yellow cloudy with a 1 inch head. Smells like an IPA with lots of orange juice and magi juice in it. Smooth juicy up front taste followed by nice bitter finish. Has a nice smooth mouthfeel.

4.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy. Almost opaque like orange juice. Thin head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Tons of citrus. It completely overpowered my Szechuan. Very sweet smelling.

Taste - Not very well balanced. Too sweet for my palate. Absolute fruit bomb in a good way, and maybe a sweet fruit bomb is the point. However, I was looking for something a little different. Could not tell this was 8.3%.

Feel - Oddly thin. Great for the palate, but mismatched with the beer itself.

Overall - Hmm... I am both excited but confused by this beer. Smell, taste and feel all add up to a beer that is just a bit out of balance. I can't tell if it's by design or if it's a happy accident. That said, it's an outstanding use of the citra hop.

My only complaint is that this beer gave me a pretty good stomach ache after I drank it. I was still happy for it though!

4.54/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Came to this with very high expectations. Looks fantastic in the glass like all Tree House IPAs. Aroma might be the best I've ever experienced from an IPA. Oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, papayas, and mangoes explode from the glass. The aroma is pungent. This fruit explosion doesn't follow through on the taste for me. There is a sweetness from the malt and the larger mouth feel makes it a little sticky, sappy, and resinous. This is nice, but it took away from the fruit somewhat. Fantastic beer. My criticism is only based on the expectation of 5.0. Definitely trade for this.

4.55/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml. growler filled yesterday.
Look: Pours a beautiful 3/4 inch head.
Smell: So nice and tropical.
Taste: Julius's twin, only a tad boozier.
Feel: this is where it lacks a bit...
Overall: So glad I got to try this, and gladder still that I have another 750. ;)

4.56/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh growler poured into Pilsner glass.

Orange in color

Great aroma of fruits: apricot, tangerine, citrus and pine.

Taste follows the aroma

Great beer

Julius is still my preferred over the King.

4.58/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: super hazy/turbid. Looks like a glass of OJ. Nice orange glow with a solid white head
S: tons of tropic fruit. Sweet, oranges, pineapple
T: very grapefruit forward. A bit tart/bitter in the finish. Tons of fruit flavor, oranges, pineapple, mango
F: nice carbonation, smooth and sweet on the palate
O: this is like a juiced up version of Julius. If you like HUGE tropic bomb IPA's, this is for you.

4.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloud orange color, like regular julius. The nose is a citrus and mildly sweet hop. The taste follows with a lot of orange and smooth sweet bitterness. Feel is very full and enjoyable. A very good beer.

4.61/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Julius on steroids. A little light on the head, but awesome aroma and very Julius-like taste. Alcohol is incredibly well-hidden. This was delicious. I regret that I only have 4 ( now 3). Awesome beer!

4.67/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours into my Hill farmstead stem tulip with a nice creamy but lighter head that hits about 1/2 finger, with some decent sticky lacing... as you mentioned Nate, the lacing on the glass right off the tap was much nicer, but that doesn't stop the awesomness of the beer itself from shining through. Speaking of shining, the beer is not shiny at all, a murky hazy tangerine slightly coppery colored beer.

Nose is amazing! The transcending aroma wafted out as soon as I popped the swing top, and when I poured it I almost dropped the bottle as I was too busy dreaming of the tropical fruits dancing into my brain. This sucker is beaming with tropical fruit and citrus, loaded with passion fruit, mango, a big waft of exploding grapefruit juice packets, tangerine, light orange rind, resins and lots of fresh hop goodness. Under that a light malty aroma tries it's best to balance the hops, to little avail. As I'm burying my nose in it for minutes at a time (literally), and breathing deep, a light booze touch wafts out like an alcohol infused grapefruit.

Taste comes in... I can feel the weight of the beer and oily hop layer before my taste buds come back down to earth from the tropical fruit explosion. Holy shi*t mango! Memories come flying back of chewing on the pit from a mango trying to get that last bit of great mangoness off of it. There is also again some passion fruit, light resins, tangerine, a bit of citrus, and more fresh grapefruit explosions. I can barely put it down long enough to type a sentence. A nice malty base in there, very little malt flavor, but a nice balancing mild sweetness and fluffy feel, it has some weight to it, but no detectable booze. bitterness comes out nicely but not over explosive, or even really strong, its more of an after thought, like the light grapefruit rind bitterness when you're chewing on a fresh grapefruit. Finish is even more grapefruit as the mango fades a bit, a bit of papaya comes out as well, more tangerine and clementine, fairly dry, light lingering bitterness.

Mouth is med to fuller bodied but fluffy and soft, little oily, and quite nice fluffy carbonation.

Overall gmmrrguguumm.... that's the sound my brain is making trying to put words into how awesome this beer is. Easily top 5 DIPAs I've EVER HAD! So much fresh tropical fruit, literally like mango and grapefruit juice, booze is nowwhere to be seen except the nice weight of the body, light hop oil feel, juicy, delicious, drinkable, well balanced, just so friggen good!

4.67/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

See the review of Julius, now take that on turbo mode... Honestly though, I would take Julius over this in a blind taste test. King J is a special treat, for sure, but the extra everything pushes this into the category of over the top. Very Green and Very Hazy do a much better job at pushing the limits while adding something special to the base beers. King J has the hype for sure, I mean, come on, you take perhaps the best IPA in the world, Julius, and put "King" in front of it? Craziness on all fronts. Still, and exceptional Treehouse offering, surprise surprise.

4.68/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Anyone who has had Julius will know what they are in for with this one. Great pulpy, juicy flavor that is like a fresh squeezed glass of OJ. Pretty similar to the original, which I preferred a tad more (along with Curiosity 22). Both seemed to have a little better nose and brighter tropical flavors. Still, this is really great.

4.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750ml bottle poured into a globe.

A: Hazy golden orange. Bone white head settles a bit, but retains at a quarter inch cap. Lacing is clumpy and sticky. And coats the whole glass.

S: Vivid, fresh, and awesome. Tropical fruits emanate from the glass. Mango, apricot, cantaloupe, star fruit. Earthy and leafy dimension too. Whiff of alcohol. Malt base smells sturdy and sweet, with aromas of dough and confectioner's sugar.

T: Taste follows the nose, and exotic tropical fruits really pop. Mango, cantaloupe, apricot, passion fruit, blood orange, star fruit, pineapple. Somewhat leafy and green underneath. Bitterness is gentle. Alcohol is barely noticeable. Dough and confectioner's sugar malt flavors. Dries a little into the finish, which is long and tropical.

M: Full and thick in the mouth with a soft chewy texture. Tingling carbonation. Astringency is mild.

O: This is stupid good. It's got such a memorable and vibrant tropical hop profile. It's the type of DIPA brewers dream about crafting. This deserves to be mentioned in any discussion concerning top DIPAs on planet earth. Seriously.

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company