Join our email list →

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: jlindros on 12-09-2012

The holiday season has a way of stirring up nostalgia. In late 2012, we brewed King Julius on our original Brew Magic brewing system - a whole ten gallons of it! Despite the size of the batch, the memory of it is enormous in our hearts. The thought of it brings us back to our cozy Brimfield barn, with the wood stove cranking, the record player spinning, Santa Dean mulling about, and Lauren and Kim filling growlers out of a modified chest freezer in a small nook under a wooden staircase. As we continue to move forward in our journey it felt like the perfect time to pay homage to our beginnings. King Julius is our endeavor to marry our past with what we aspire to be in the future. King Julius is an American Double IPA brewed to be an exceptionally flavorful, juicy, and hop saturated beer while never tiring the palate. It’s vivid citrus aromas give way to flavors of orange creamsicle, mango smoothie, and a bounty of fresh tropical fruit. We find it to be supremely soft in the midst of an onslaught of flavor. . . A beer we are quite proud of.
4.67/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours into my Hill farmstead stem tulip with a nice creamy but lighter head that hits about 1/2 finger, with some decent sticky lacing... as you mentioned Nate, the lacing on the glass right off the tap was much nicer, but that doesn't stop the awesomness of the beer itself from shining through. Speaking of shining, the beer is not shiny at all, a murky hazy tangerine slightly coppery colored beer.

Nose is amazing! The transcending aroma wafted out as soon as I popped the swing top, and when I poured it I almost dropped the bottle as I was too busy dreaming of the tropical fruits dancing into my brain. This sucker is beaming with tropical fruit and citrus, loaded with passion fruit, mango, a big waft of exploding grapefruit juice packets, tangerine, light orange rind, resins and lots of fresh hop goodness. Under that a light malty aroma tries it's best to balance the hops, to little avail. As I'm burying my nose in it for minutes at a time (literally), and breathing deep, a light booze touch wafts out like an alcohol infused grapefruit.

Taste comes in... I can feel the weight of the beer and oily hop layer before my taste buds come back down to earth from the tropical fruit explosion. Holy shi*t mango! Memories come flying back of chewing on the pit from a mango trying to get that last bit of great mangoness off of it. There is also again some passion fruit, light resins, tangerine, a bit of citrus, and more fresh grapefruit explosions. I can barely put it down long enough to type a sentence. A nice malty base in there, very little malt flavor, but a nice balancing mild sweetness and fluffy feel, it has some weight to it, but no detectable booze. bitterness comes out nicely but not over explosive, or even really strong, its more of an after thought, like the light grapefruit rind bitterness when you're chewing on a fresh grapefruit. Finish is even more grapefruit as the mango fades a bit, a bit of papaya comes out as well, more tangerine and clementine, fairly dry, light lingering bitterness.

Mouth is med to fuller bodied but fluffy and soft, little oily, and quite nice fluffy carbonation.

Overall gmmrrguguumm.... that's the sound my brain is making trying to put words into how awesome this beer is. Easily top 5 DIPAs I've EVER HAD! So much fresh tropical fruit, literally like mango and grapefruit juice, booze is nowwhere to be seen except the nice weight of the body, light hop oil feel, juicy, delicious, drinkable, well balanced, just so friggen good!

4.32/5  rDev -9.1%

16 oz. can. Hazy deep orange. Darker at the bottom of the pour, like peach juice where the pulp settles to the bottom. Smell is tropical fruits. Mango, orange. Some sweetness. Tastes tropical as well, with more emphasis on the orange flavor. Light sugary sweetness up front. Dries out and becomes a touch bitter in the finish. Medium body. Exactly as described. A bigger version of Julius. Drank a Julius before drinking this for science. It would be impossible to ramp up the hop flavor by the same order of magnitude that the sugars are amplified. By that metric, I think I would take Julius over this.

4.77/5  rDev +0.4%

Beaten by JLindros. Been a loooong time for that. Seeing his review I am even more excited to try this beer.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a nice hazy golden orange juice hue. Really looks like a murky glass of orange juice atop which sat a nice creamy two finger head. It looks outstanding, however, the head fades rather quickly into a thin soapy blanket with ALOT less side lacing that I was expecting from the get go. Still great, but disappointing based off of that initial creamy head impression.

S - Now, I am not going to be as whimsical as JLindros in my review of the nose. I will say he is spot on with that aroma. It bursts out tropical fruits, just oozing out with mango and grapefruit. Some inviting tangerine along with juicy hops. All of this drowns out the malts quite pleasantly.

T - Yeaaah. This is pretty fucking good. Tons of hop oils here, but that takes a back burner to the flavour explosion going on in my mouth. Enormous mango here. Like those delicious Chinese mango gummy candies. Some light resin and faint pith, tangerine and grapefruit rind. There is some light bitterness (grapefruit) but the finish, the finish is a long lingering mango. Supernatural here.

M - I dont fathom how JLindros did not give this a 5. Sometimes his logic is most illogical. Medium bodied, light but faintly crisp carbonation. 8.3%? Yah, you fooled me. I've had cartons of orange juice (from concentrate) that tasted like they had more alcohol in it than this mouthfeel does. Absurd. EDIT: As this beer warms, some of the booze comes out just a tad. Wish I could go 4.75 but unfortunately cannot.

O - Overall this was an incredible beer. Really wish I did not have to work the days when they're brewery is open so I could go there in person and shake Nate's hand for this and Julius. Enjoy this breweries offerings while you can. Soon enough they WILL explode on the scene.

4.74/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Can. Poured super hazy orange. I had this side-by-side to regular Julius. I was impressed by how the similarities still stood tall between the two beers. Very citrusy and fruity and rindy. There were also some big contrasts. King Julius was clearly more pungent and concentrated; losing some of Julius' nuances. Still, by the nose, I should enjoy this beer similarly (Julius is one of my favorites). The flavor was huge on tropical fruit and citrus medley. Some dank character. Tangerine, melon, clementine, citrus pith. A powerful mollywhop of flavor. The body was creamy. Pretty sturdy bitterness but not an IBU baron. I really enjoyed this one; I mean Tree House does no wrong. However, I think if this beer had a moniker not directly related to their flagship, this one would not be held in quite the same regard. Pretty amazing but I'll take regular Julius any day.

The beer comes in a medium gold color, extremely turbid. Mango smoothie color in a glass.

The aroma offers orange creamsicle, mango sorbet, pineapple, tons of sweet peach, passionfruit, bubble gum, dominated by hops.

The beer follows with tons of orange Starburst, Gobstoppers, mango smoothie, pineapple puree, onto a big smack of grassy and rich herbaceous green quality with a medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is chewy and soft. The intensity of tropical fruits is almost unmatched. This pushes Julius to another level that Green offers. A combination with even more as it a bigger beer.

4.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloud orange color, like regular julius. The nose is a citrus and mildly sweet hop. The taste follows with a lot of orange and smooth sweet bitterness. Feel is very full and enjoyable. A very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a hazy yellow cloudy with a 1 inch head. Smells like an IPA with lots of orange juice and magi juice in it. Smooth juicy up front taste followed by nice bitter finish. Has a nice smooth mouthfeel.

4.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a very hazy burnt orange color with a thick creamy, pillowy head on that lingers nicely throughout. Thick, sticky lacing on the glass. Smell is orange, mango, bright tropical. Flavors reflect the same, very nice bitter flavor to balance with the sweetness of the tropical, mango, orange flavors. Drinks extremely smooth, like a tropical smoothie. Long live the King!

4.39/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a kind of ugly turbid brownish copper color with a nice, fluffy off-white head. Definitely not a looker, but neither are a lot of great beers. We move on.

S: Much better. Like a Costco frozen tropical fruit medley smoothie. Orange pulp, light pineapple and guava, maybe even a little bit of strawberry and some powdery malt in the background.

T: To be totally honest, this doesn't live up to the hype for me. Way more malt forward than I was expecting and the heaviness of the malt takes away from everything under it. Some honey and orange in here, along with maybe a little bit of pineapple. The smoothness is pretty remarkable in this and there's not much in the way of bitterness, just a kiss of pine resin and lingering orange pulp on the finish. A very tasty beer, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above the rest of Tree House's other IPAs.

4.55/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml. growler filled yesterday.
Look: Pours a beautiful 3/4 inch head.
Smell: So nice and tropical.
Taste: Julius's twin, only a tad boozier.
Feel: this is where it lacks a bit...
Overall: So glad I got to try this, and gladder still that I have another 750. ;)

4.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I've been looking forward to this one forever. 750ml growler into a Grrrz teku. Shared with schen9303.

The beer looks identical to Julius. Same pulpy color, same fluffy white head, same great lace. Smells the same too. Big, juicy, bright citrus and tropical fruit notes make it seem like I'm about to bite into a tropical fruit smoothie with lots of citrus. At first taste, I can't really tell the difference between this and Julius. However, I open a can of the latter for a side-by-side and this one is sweeter and juicier. The hop profile is less forward but its stuffed with tropical and citrus fruit. I don't know if a beer could be juicier. If you like that type of IPA, there is no better tasting beer in the world.

The feel is just spot on. Soft, drinkable yet full bodied and the ABV is hidden so well, this is just as easy drinking as the single IPA form.

I hope Treehouse starts turn out more of this as its too good to just be a once-in-a-while brew. The best IIPA I've had to date, this will make you start saying "Heady who"? and "Hill Farmstead what"?

4.84/5  rDev +1.9%

From growler. Burnt orange, orange juice. Multi finger froth head. Quick dissipation but a layer keeps as it goes down. Elite lacing. To steal my friend's description of the smell, it smells like the brewery. Well vice versa. Hint of malt with saturated hops with a fruit juiciness. A good bitterness element. Juice flavor shines. Anything and everything in that orange and grapefruit family. Like Charles Barkley gave them his Orange Bowl "oranges". Feels like carbonated juice. Like a shake/float but without anything that would be gross in an ipa. King indeed.

4.81/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

King Julius was the top hoppy beer for me at EBF. Everything I love about Julius, but taken up another notch. So juicy and so balanced for a double IPA. Tremendous.

What can I say? This beer is phenomenal, a boosted version of Julius. You can smell from the glass a distance away. Cloudy Golden orange color. Smells like fresh citrusy hops bursting out with a matching taste. Perfect smooth mouth feel allows for easy drinkability. All Hail King Julius

4.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750ml bottle poured into a globe.

A: Hazy golden orange. Bone white head settles a bit, but retains at a quarter inch cap. Lacing is clumpy and sticky. And coats the whole glass.

S: Vivid, fresh, and awesome. Tropical fruits emanate from the glass. Mango, apricot, cantaloupe, star fruit. Earthy and leafy dimension too. Whiff of alcohol. Malt base smells sturdy and sweet, with aromas of dough and confectioner's sugar.

T: Taste follows the nose, and exotic tropical fruits really pop. Mango, cantaloupe, apricot, passion fruit, blood orange, star frui, pineapple. Somewhat leafy and green underneath. Bitterness is gentle. Alcohol is barely noticeable. Dough and confectioner's sugar malt flavors. Dries a little into the finish, which is long and tropical.

M: Full and thick in the mouth with a soft chewy texture. Tingling carbonation. Astringency is mild.

O: This is stupid good. It's got such a memorable and vibrant tropical hop profile. It's the type of DIPA brewers dream about crafting. This deserves to be mentioned in any discussion concerning top DIPAs on planet earth. Seriously.

4.49/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 1 pint can purchased at Tree House Brewing Company, Monson, MA
01 28 16
Served in a snifter

Totally opaque, dull orangey-amber appearance. One of the cloudiest beers I have ever seen. The liquid was topped by a creamy, frothy, finger tall, eggshell colored crown that quickly dropped to a barely there film. A bubbly collar encircled the liquid. After every sip, a thin wall of lacing coated the glass, but it quickly broke apart into small droplets.

The aroma was super hoppy and very citrusy. Orange notes dominated. Uber juicy and sweet. Tangerine came through as well. Tropical fruits were also quite noticeable. Loads of mango. Good amount of peach. Really fruity and bright.

The flavor profile featured more of the same. It was super hoppy and very citrus forward. Loads of juicy orange and tangerine notes. Slightly sweet. Orange sherbet came to mind. Intense peach and apricot notes. Some overripe mango as well. The beer finished with notes of candied orange peel and just a hint of rind-like pith. At 8.2% ABV, this drank amazingly well.

The mouthfeel was uber frothy and smooth. Medium bodied for the style. Fluffy and supple on the palate. Pillowy soft. The beer contained a fine, zippy effervescence.

King Julius is an incredibly juicy and flavorful double IPA, but perhaps it was a bit more one dimensional than I had hoped. While the beer displayed some amazing bright and intense citrus notes, it could have been more complex.

4.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Shared side by side with a Julius.

A: bright orange, cloudy/murky. Decent amount of white to light yellow head with a fair amount of sticky lacing. Head disapated quickly, much quicker than Julius. If you like Tang hen you will like the appearance of this.
S: by far the strong suit of this beer, multiple citrusy elements, mango, pineapple, grapefruit.
T: a let down, th citrus elements quickly vanish and leave a slight piney residue which is not evident on the nose. It actually new up tasting more like Julius in waiting. Not sure what happened but Julius tastes better.
M: actually a bit thin for the style.
O: would not try too hard to trade for this unless your a ticker. Glad a friend offered to share and I didn't give up the farm. While a very good beer, there are plenty more DIPA's far more accessible and just as good and many much better.

Having now had this a couple times in a week since its rerelease, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the perfect beer regardless of classification. Here's the thing it's not the first 5 that I've given out, and no doubt because Julius is perfect to me, I simply had to grade this the same- and normally when we compare beers that are a 97 vs a 98 there's just subtle nuances that distinguish them. This is the same only Julius is a 100, this is a 103- soft, citrus explosion w tremendous mouth feel and hop profile... seek w confidence, I suspect it'll be out more soon, but if you gotta friend, hit him up!

It looks nothing like the last version. Looks like a murkier Julius. Tastes like a triple dry hopped Julius with a little alcohol bite. Super juicy.
Poured from a 16oz can canned 12/3/15.
Nice burnt orange murkiness.
Smells orange and mango.
One of the juiciest beers I've ever had. Orange grapefruit and pineapple
So damn smooth, now this beer is a juice blanket.
I have found my new favorite DIPA.

4.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Doing a side-by-side comparison with Julius.

L - very similar to Julius. Julius is a hair darker. KJ has a much warmer glow about it. Hazy orange ball of beauty.

S - a deep, multi-layered aroma with mango at the center. Tons of juice. Latches on and sinks deeper than Julius, which is light and fluffy near the surface, whereas KJ is a little more robust.

T - pervades the senses. My mouth feels far fuller than it actually is with even the smallest sip. There is such force behind this flavor. It never lets up! A bit of warming booze compliments the look. Penetrating flavors of ripe mango, citrusy orange, and grapefruit is everywhere! These flavor profiles seem much more complex than standard Julius. The Tree House description is spot on. Not just mango, but mango smoothie. Not just orange, but orange creamsicle. Wow.

F - similar to Julius. Light for the heaviness of the rest of the beer, but serves to provide beautiful contrast. Carries the rich flavor to every corner of the mouth- the perfect flavor delivery system. Can't get over how long the flavor lingers.

O - just when I thought Julius couldn't get any better, I'm hit with The King.

4.81/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

picked up some treehouse after work. appearance is hazy orange 2 finger size head that dissipates quickly. aroma is heavy on orange and some mango. Taste follows the nose, explosion of orange with some mango and other tropical fruits but orange dominates the mouth. incredible beer but the domination of orange is what holds it back from the likes of double sunshine and other top IPA's imo.

Poured from a can into #ProperGlassware

L: Pours a glowing yellowy orange that reminds me of an extremely pulpy orange juice. This beer literally looks like it's glowing. It's almost reminiscent of a tequila sunrise because the bottom is such a deep orange and the top has a yellow hue. Seeing that appearance is so important to taste, my eyes tell me that I will like this beer very much.

S: As I shove my nose into the glass I am dominated with citrusy goodness. I didn't need to even be close to my glass to catch the huge notes of orange and mango. There's a bit of papaya and I even catch a faint scent of wheat. This smells outstanding. I could literally sniff this beer all day.

T: Gigantic notes of said orange, mango and papaya destroy my palate. There's a nice malt presence, but we all know that the hops are the stars of this show. There's a moderate level of bitterness which reminds me that this is not a glass of tropical fruit juice. It's probably better this way.

F: I guess this beer is 8.2%. Couldn't tell from how easy this goes down. Super smooth, but the word fluffy also comes to mind. There's a medium mouthfeel and it's a bit dry on the backend. The dryness could be a detriment, but ultimately it's purpose is to get me to yearn for another sip.

Overall: This is definitively one of the best beers that I've ever had. Easily top 5 IPA/DIPAs that I've experienced in my life. The appearance is awesome, the smell is awesome, the taste is awesome, the mouthfeel is awesome. I'll admit that I'm a Julius fanboy, but this beer is better than Julius. This is definitely on the level of Heady Topper, Double Sunshine, and HF Double Citra. This deserves every 5 that it gets. I'm glad that I am experiencing this and I wholeheartedly hope that Tree House decides to put this beer in a semi-regular rotation.

4.12/5  rDev -13.3%

This might have been the most disappointing beer I have had to date from Tree House, since in my mind I was imagining a DIPA that would equate to an even better version of Julius.

What I got was a boozier variant of Julius with markedly less orange flavor throughout, one that felt more like an experimental beer than one worthy of the title of king.

Was it worth the 1-hour wait in line for a 750ml growler of this beer? Yes, because everyone at the brewery (not just the staff but all the beer drinkers waiting in line) was super cool and, ultimately, I got to share a rare beer with friends, all whom appreciated that fact. Would I do it again? No, since there are many other better DIPA's out there on the market.

In a way, I am glad that this beer did not blow me away. It means that there is one less whale of a beer for me to chase and one more person in line at Tree House who gets to take home a growler fill.

In conclusion, Julius is clearly the better beer.

4.73/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16oz can into a Treehouse tulip glass. Purchased at the brewery yesterday.

Pours an orange-juice like super cloudy body with a big, frothy off-white head that sticks around for a while, eventually reducing to a layer of foam, leaving dotty lacing. Really nice head.

Aromas have that typical Treehouse over-ripe fruit, super citrusy, tropical character, fresh hops straight out of the bag, grapefruit, tangerine.

On the tongue it's a tad sweet upfront with lots of citrus / clementine, orange creamsicle, grapefruit, pineapple, and very little if any bitterness. A straight tropical fruit bomb.

Mouthfeel is creamy but there is zero indication of alcohol which is crazy considering this is 8.2%. A little low on the carbonation, I prefer a little more.

Just as great as I had expected. Honestly a little smoother than Julius.

4.71/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's definitely Julius. All the juicy flavors and creamy mouthfeel are there. A little bit of bitterness creeps in at the end of each sip. I wish I had a fresh Julius to compare it to but they are honest very similar brews which is not a bad thing at all!

King Julius from Tree House Brewing Company