Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

SapSap

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our IPA brewed with Northwest American hops prominently featuring Chinook! A pungent aroma gives way to a delicate beer loaded with hop flavor. Soft notes of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and young mango give way to a dry finish making this one hard to put down. We find Sap to be one of our most complex and intricate IPAs - We love it dearly!

Added by jlindros on 12-24-2012

Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 697
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - nice hazy golden amber beer with a decent white head that sticks and leaves good lacing
S - pine, pine, pine, peach passion fruit, guava, nectarine
T- passion fruit, papaya, pine, peach, nectarine, pithy almost creaminess to it
M - light to heavy mouth feel, alcohol completely covered, aftertaste is peach and pithiness, and pine
O- sap is a pretty good name, sweet and piney, with peach/pithy/nectarine flavors

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned 4/13/2016.

Appearance - Much like Julius, Sap is a hazy specimen of a beer. It is not as radiant as Julius, however, as it takes on a darker hue. The head is just as dense with large swaths of foam coating the glass.

Aroma - The nose is decidly more piney than Julius for sure. It is dank and "wet" and has a hop profile more similar to the West Coast style than the New England style, so I'm in familiar territory here. The aroma is rounded out by a nice blend of tropical fruit, especially pineapple.

Taste - Well, I am now 2-for-2 on enjoying the aroma of Tree House IPAs better than the taste. The fruit components from the hops fall almost completely away, leaving only traces of their once juicy notes. Thankfully the pine is still out in full-force. There does exist a bit of mango in the finish which adds a touch of sweetness. A nice spiciness complements the pine.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel spot-on. It is nicely carbonated and has a soft, yet supportive, texture that helps the profile develop.

Closing Arguments - Overall, this is another solid IPA from Tree House, but again not one that is world-shattering. Sap doesn't have as much hype as some of the others, so this may be a bit more fair.

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer made me literally cry. Due to the nature of my school, I cannot drink and had not had anything in 4 months. This was my first beverage after the 4 months of dry desolation. As soon as I smelled this beauty, my eyes began to glisten with joy, and when the sweet nectar from above hit my lips and I consumed, I could not contain my tears if joy any longer. It helps that this beer is also unbelievably delicious. Dangerously drinkable though.

2.7/5  rDev -37.2%

Look: Orange with a hefty portion of white head to it.
Smell: I personally detected a smell of pine and maybe a car air freshener.
Taste: I believe this matches the smell and it gives me a very fruity feeling to it.
Feeling: I would rate this as a nice smooth drink. With this being the last of my pack I bought up in Tree House I would rate this as a crush-able beer, I just am out of it so I can't do it.
Overall: Isn't on par with Julius but if there would be only this and my lowest rated beer on a table at a party, I will take this with a huge smile on my face.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I wouldn't say this one was a miss for me, but it definitely doesn't stand up to the juicier TH IPAs that I love. It's a nice beer in many ways, but it just doesn't project itself as special to me. I totally understand this might for some pallets better than mine, BUT I feel there are a several better west coast style IPAs that lack Sap's fanfare.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Lovely pine all over this beer. Not the juice bomb IPAs like some other Tree House beers, but what a great west coast IPA. Tastes like I imagine Northern California would taste

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Got this today at the brewery fresh into the cans. 4/13/16 This is the first time I've had this so maybe it's the batch but to me, it tastes a lot of fruit (maybe slightly more bitter fruit) and very well balanced. Not so much piney as a subtle peppery dry finish, very subtle. It's really a deliciously good beer and I'd rank it up there with the best NE ipas. And I especially enjoyed trying to analyze this one after finding it so different than what I'd read in reviews about a piney holiday brew.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Hazy orange type color
Smell - Pine, grapefruit, citrus, slight tropical notes
Taste - Pine sap, candied grapefruit, citrus peel, grassy

Overall - Not their best, but another extremely enjoyable IPA from TH.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Foggy, light-gold with a huge cream colored head.

S - Grapefruit, pine

T - Follows the nose. Grapefruit, bitter/sweet hops...fresh hops, like the hop cones are in the brew!!

F - Very effervescent, dry, dry, dry, crisp

O - Characteristic East Coast fresh hoppiness. Tree House is producing some of the best tasting East Coast ulta-hop flavored brews in the country. "Sap" is no exception. These brews are dry with an extreme fresh hop flavor...grapefruity flavor. Refreshing. Thirst-quenching. Delicious.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not my favorite from Tree House but thoroughly enjoyed this. It is a nice change from the typical Tree House beers. I would get this again when it comes out.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can dated Feb 2016 poured into a Crate and Barrel Snifter.

A: Pours a very hazy amber/orange, with a white foamy head that settled quickly to a thin ring at the edge of the glass leaving behind some impressive lacing.

S: When i first opened the can and poured it i really got the piney/sappy effect they were going for with this but as it opened up, i lost its west coast aromas and picked up very fruity, tropical aromas of citrus, and stone fruits.

T: Not sure of this if right, but i'm picking up strong Nelson like hops that make this beer very tropical and juicy! I do pick up some pine/tree sap like bitterness, but i'm finding this beer very juicy, almost more so than Julius.

M: Fairly heavy body for an ipa, almost like drinking an OJ. Very nice tight bubbles.

O: Very nice! Will definitely seek out again

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I love TH, esp Julius and Haze, but feel they missed it on this one. I really question them taking this from a Christmas beer to a full time offering. After standing in line for 2 hours to get 8 beers, I expected more, especially TH. I have tried 3 of the eight, but just don't get it, my guests will have to drink the other 5

4.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can dated March 2016 poured into a 14 oz water glass.

A: Straw orange color, hazy. White, three-finger head settles quickly into a thin layer and sticky lacing.

S: Full-on peaches. Some citrus, tangerine, melon.

T: Juicy! Tangerine and orange. Slightly piney aftertaste. Total juice bomb. Not sure "Sap" is the best label for this stuff.

M: Very pleasant mouthfeel.

O: Absolutely crushable. Juicy and citrusy but not sweet. Really good.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

un-frickin-believable! so light on the palate, cannot believe this is a 7.3% abv..... not such a distinctive flavor as the others i have had from Treehouse, but, taken wholly on its own, this is an amazing beer!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Super dank and resinous. Lots of piney favors. I got quite a bit of bitterness and limited fruitiness from the hops. This one would be great for a hop head, but I normally prefer a bit more balance. Still a great beer though.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

White head with some lace. Hazy golden orange.

Flavor is very piney. Earthy and clean. Nice bitterness.

Medium bodied. Ends fairly clean.

Nothing crazy, but enjoyable.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yellow haze w a one finger off white head, some lacing

Smell a bit subdued compared to other Tree House IPA's I'very had, tropical fruit rinds with pine mixed in

Great, great taste on the bitter side of fruity, again rinds come to mind. Pine and bitterness eeking out the sweetness

Typical NE IPA carbonation, sticky-ness and juicy-ness

Overall another great Tree House IPA and a good break from Pineapple juice

4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am starting to come around on Sap.

This is the third time trying it and easily the best batch so far IMO. Looks just like any other TH beer with it's orange cloudy haze and yet smells more piney than others. Taste is just great with that familiar citrus creamy mouth feel but not as creamy and more bitterness on the back end. This is one of the more refreshing drinks as the mint/pine like qualities add to the already great experience.

Overall. TH makes another amazing beer. What else is new?

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tall tulip. Pours a hazy, red-hued dark orange color with a one finger tight, white head. Aromas of melon and fresh grass. Taste is also watermelon and fresh grass, slightly piney, sweetened by barley malt, and with some minty tones and very little bitterness. Mouthfeel is just right - medium bodied, smooth, medium carbonation. Overall, a unique and enjoyable brew from Tree House

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not an expert on Treehouse beers, but hope to get there as I travel to our fixer-upper in Western MA. Thus far, Green is my fave, and while this looks, smells and tastes like Green, I slightly favored Green. Only slightly. This is an outstanding IPA that I'd go out of my way to procure (which I did).
Next on the list for tonight is Ma.
If you have not made a trip to Treehouse, put it on your list of breweries to visit. It's well worth the effort.

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from the 16 oz can into a tulip.
Pours a really nice hazy honey color with a couple fingers of head.
Really resiny pine notes in the aroma, some sweetness in there too, notes of citrus.
Flavor is really nice, it's not a hop bomb yet still has tons of pine and resin with good lingering bitterness.
Mouthfeel was very nice.
Overall, while this beer isn't a can of juice as some love, I found it to be a delicious piney beer.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had several batches of Sap, finally getting around to reviewing it though, and I'll review the 2/25/16 I had.

L: That dark yellowish Tree House Hazy color.
S: The hops and the pine are clear in this one, and in a good way.
T: Well balanced and piney, with just a hint of fruit and sweetness! This batch had a little extra on all of the flavors. This batch was really on point in terms of flavor. I wish every batch was this tasty.
F: Like virtually all tree house beers, this one has a smooth fuzy feel to it that make it so enjoyable and refreshing to drink.
O: This is easily the best batch of Sap I've had (by a lot too). Everything on this beer was just a little bit better on this batch. Brought this to a beer share as an "extra" and one of those in case we run out of beer, we'll drink this, and it ended up really being a highlight.

4.96/5  rDev +15.3%

It's the best piney west coast style IPA there is. It gets flak because it's not a juice bomb like TH's other offerings. But if you put this next to Heady Topper in a blind taste test, it's not even a contest.

4.99/5  rDev +16%

Canned on 16Feb 2016 and enjoyed 17Feb 2016. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.
L: Dark, burnt golden yellow... completely opaque. Dark just to the eye, but shining a bright light behind it makes it glow a glorious gold. I’d use it at a nightlight if I didn’t drink it so quickly. Fluffy meringue head leaving sticky lacing.
S: This one differs from the other TH offerings I’ve had (Julius, Green, Alter Ego) in that it is unapologetically hoppy without the dominating tropical fruit salad nose; a wonderful change of pace when you’re in the mood.
T: Thick piney hops, sweet malt and pineapple on the finish.
F: Light and bright… a smooth enjoyable delight.
O: I love this beer… I could drink it all night. I truly believe its ratings are lower because it’s not the fruit bomb that other TH offerings are. I’m in for the 3hr drive to TH anytime this is available.

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Seems most either really, really love Sap or think it's "meh" c/w other TH offerings. I personally think that it's the best aging IPA in their arsenal...it's the only one I think tastes better after 2-3wks in the can as c/w fresh. Huge but pleasant piney aroma and bitterness perfectly balanced with grapefruit/citrus and a bit of stone fruit/mango for my palate. Supposedly has mainly chinook and simcoe...they play well together

Sap from Tree House Brewing Company