Follow our progress ...

SapSap

Tree House Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our IPA brewed with Northwest American hops prominently featuring Chinook! A pungent aroma gives way to a delicate beer loaded with hop flavor. Soft notes of grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and young mango give way to a dry finish making this one hard to put down. We find Sap to be one of our most complex and intricate IPAs - We love it dearly!

Added by jlindros on 12-24-2012

Reviews: 105 | Ratings: 777
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It has the classic Tree House taste and mouth feel but the juice is in the back seat and pine is driving. The bitterness is also more pronounced but gentle thought.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Deep orange with a medium white head and nice intricate spotty lacing. Notes of citrus fruits, ruby red grapefruit pulp, herbal greens, light dank and resinous fresh pine. Crisp, light to medium body, smooth, costing, leaves a linger and slightly dry at the end. The citrus that shows in the aroma pulls through only up front as a swan song to that sticky resinous and dank pine bite. The bitterness is restrained, providing a refinement to this pine hop profile you rarely see. Exceptionally well done.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can. Pours opaque bright orange w two finger white foamy head, recedes very slowly leaving tons of lace. Pine tree dank hoppy aroma with sweet malt undertone. Great taste, pine tree n earthy hops dominate with some tropical fruit and a little sugary malt peeking through. Silky soft mouthfeel, just glides down. First time trying this one from TH, wish I had another.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy golden with ample head
S: Plenty of tropical fruit, some citrus and some pine. Sweet malt.
T: Great TH yeast flavor but less potent than their other beers. More direct and simple with less fruit and a little more resin than their other offerings. A little more grain and sweetness from the malt. Finishes quickly.
M: Thick and chewy, tongue-coating...just like most TH beers.
O: Having this after Haze was a mistake. Haze might be the best beer I've had from TH and this one is more subtle; still an excellent beer and well worth trying.

4.01/5  rDev -6.7%

Full disclosure - I am a super fan of Tree House brews, especially the juice bombs. And while I think the boys from Monson knock just about all of them out of the park, I find this IPA remarkable only in that it has the smooth mouth feel that seems to be in all of the TH products. Otherwise, a pretty standard, very good (not world class) piney hopped IPA.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Dark amber/orangish in color thick 1" of head outta the can. Head took a few minutes to subside. Slightly opaque. Lacing lines left behind after each sip. Lacing lines hold their own throughout the glass.

S: slightly earthy and moderately piney resinous. Crack malt provides some sweetness and drop undertones. Solid orange peel and grapefruit provides a balanced bitterness to the malt.

T: bitter at first then smooth towards the middle bridge. Strong orange presence with malt creating some sweetness that plays nicely. Beer finishes smoother than expected but leaves a slight hoppyness that makes you beg for the next sip.

F: medium high to high mouth feel. Thicker than normal for an IPA but not for TH. Feels like some oats were added for the creaminess felling.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This may be my favorite beer from TH. It really shows that this brewery can craft a complex IPA that isn't a straight up "juice bomb". The resiny mouthfeel, as well as the pine and citrus tastes are well defined and harmonious unlike a couple of their other beers (Alter Ego, Haze) that are murky with the flavors overlapping. The finish is slightly dry which works so well with the slightly sweet malt backbone. Overall, a very impressive beer by Tree House. I could drink this one all the time!

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had two day old can obtained from TH Brewery

Not your typical IPA from Tree House. This isn't the juice bomb that has become their calling card as this beer is brewed with more of a west coast IPA taste/feel. Despite the name of the beer the aroma of "sap" isn't as prevalent as I figured it would be. You can smell pine, orange and multiple other fruit notes. Nice lacing and carbonation. A little bitterness mixed in was a welcome surprise from Tree House. If you favor west coast IPA's over the north east IPA's this is the beer for you.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The great Mike Lambert of The Beerists says that complexity should unfold slowly over time. That's why it's imperative that anyone looking to evaluate this beer properly should take the time to enjoy an entire 750ml swingtop of it like I did! I have no doubt however that even a more modest pour will yield the same excellent experience.

After gazing briefly at the finger of eggshell white head, and giving the glass a few swirls to see some spotty traces of lacing, the initial aroma impression is one of really sweet citrus fruits. Mango and pineapple for the most part is what I was getting. As the beer warms up and leaves more airspace in the glass, whiffs of grapefruit appear like magic. I'm totally in love with the malt character of this IPA. It's a touch grassy and a little bit grainy but creamy at the same time. And the finish is sublime, it's a little bit like drinking a softly carbonated grapefruit spritzer. The sides of my mouth and tongue want to sing with joy. I am so impressed by Tree House, it's just one huge hit after another.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Consumed 5/3/16

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for the hookup

A: Golden orange with some honey around the edges - hazy, but it has much more clarity than the typical Tree House hoppy beer - pours with a medium size, white head, fades to a wispy cap, maintains a small collar, leaves streaks of lacing

S: Thankfully does not actually smell like pine sap, but it is indeed piney - some citrus, with orange and grapefruit zest - herbal, resinous pine and pine needles - trees and pine cones - grassy, leafy, touch of spice - vaguely tropical - some pale malts at the base

T: Bright, sharp, unique - some sharp citrus, with orange and grapefruit - some underripe peach and tropical notes, including melon and pineapple - loads of pine, with some straight-up resin and sharp pine needles - straight-up hop cones - leafy, grassy, lightly earthy - some bright spiciness - moderate bitterness - pale malts and light bread at the base, finishes dry

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, a touch oily and crisp, dry finish

O: Compelling evidence that Tree House can make IPAs other than juice bombs

Something about the word "sap" does not exactly whet my appetite; mostly I just get a sticky feeling on my fingers. But this beer is actually really good. There is a load of herbal, leafy pine flavor, but it's balanced by touches of citrus and the fairly neutral malt base. This is definitely worth picking up if you happen to be at Tree House.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had 0 day old (canning date was same day I drank it, and it was cold as I received it from Tree House)

I love this beer probably more than most people do. Great change of pace from the typical juicy IPAs that are trendy now. As name would indicate, the initial taste is both piney and resiny reminiscent of some of the better north-west region IPAs. Very aromatic and earthy pleasant smell. The aftertaste is quite smooth, like all Tree House beers I've had so far. Very easy to drink. I could crush 10 of these easily without even realizing it.

Yet another great beer from Tree House. Shows their versatility not to brew just juicy IPAs but also quite delicious piney and resiny ones. Do not hesitate to get this one in a trade or at the brewery.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy dark gold in color with a white foamy head.

Aroma of strong pine with citrus behind it, also faint pineapple.

Mild bitterness up front, not too strong but its there. Pine in the flavor, faint mango trying to break through the bitterness. A great example of a West Coast IPA from Tree House, but I much prefer their Julius/Green North East type IPAs.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - nice hazy golden amber beer with a decent white head that sticks and leaves good lacing
S - pine, pine, pine, peach passion fruit, guava, nectarine
T- passion fruit, papaya, pine, peach, nectarine, pithy almost creaminess to it
M - light to heavy mouth feel, alcohol completely covered, aftertaste is peach and pithiness, and pine
O- sap is a pretty good name, sweet and piney, with peach/pithy/nectarine flavors

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned 4/13/2016.

Appearance - Much like Julius, Sap is a hazy specimen of a beer. It is not as radiant as Julius, however, as it takes on a darker hue. The head is just as dense with large swaths of foam coating the glass.

Aroma - The nose is decidly more piney than Julius for sure. It is dank and "wet" and has a hop profile more similar to the West Coast style than the New England style, so I'm in familiar territory here. The aroma is rounded out by a nice blend of tropical fruit, especially pineapple.

Taste - Well, I am now 2-for-2 on enjoying the aroma of Tree House IPAs better than the taste. The fruit components from the hops fall almost completely away, leaving only traces of their once juicy notes. Thankfully the pine is still out in full-force. There does exist a bit of mango in the finish which adds a touch of sweetness. A nice spiciness complements the pine.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel spot-on. It is nicely carbonated and has a soft, yet supportive, texture that helps the profile develop.

Closing Arguments - Overall, this is another solid IPA from Tree House, but again not one that is world-shattering. Sap doesn't have as much hype as some of the others, so this may be a bit more fair.

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer made me literally cry. Due to the nature of my school, I cannot drink and had not had anything in 4 months. This was my first beverage after the 4 months of dry desolation. As soon as I smelled this beauty, my eyes began to glisten with joy, and when the sweet nectar from above hit my lips and I consumed, I could not contain my tears if joy any longer. It helps that this beer is also unbelievably delicious. Dangerously drinkable though.

2.7/5  rDev -37.2%

Look: Orange with a hefty portion of white head to it.
Smell: I personally detected a smell of pine and maybe a car air freshener.
Taste: I believe this matches the smell and it gives me a very fruity feeling to it.
Feeling: I would rate this as a nice smooth drink. With this being the last of my pack I bought up in Tree House I would rate this as a crush-able beer, I just am out of it so I can't do it.
Overall: Isn't on par with Julius but if there would be only this and my lowest rated beer on a table at a party, I will take this with a huge smile on my face.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I wouldn't say this one was a miss for me, but it definitely doesn't stand up to the juicier TH IPAs that I love. It's a nice beer in many ways, but it just doesn't project itself as special to me. I totally understand this might for some pallets better than mine, BUT I feel there are a several better west coast style IPAs that lack Sap's fanfare.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Lovely pine all over this beer. Not the juice bomb IPAs like some other Tree House beers, but what a great west coast IPA. Tastes like I imagine Northern California would taste

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Got this today at the brewery fresh into the cans. 4/13/16 This is the first time I've had this so maybe it's the batch but to me, it tastes a lot of fruit (maybe slightly more bitter fruit) and very well balanced. Not so much piney as a subtle peppery dry finish, very subtle. It's really a deliciously good beer and I'd rank it up there with the best NE ipas. And I especially enjoyed trying to analyze this one after finding it so different than what I'd read in reviews about a piney holiday brew.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Hazy orange type color
Smell - Pine, grapefruit, citrus, slight tropical notes
Taste - Pine sap, candied grapefruit, citrus peel, grassy

Overall - Not their best, but another extremely enjoyable IPA from TH.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Foggy, light-gold with a huge cream colored head.

S - Grapefruit, pine

T - Follows the nose. Grapefruit, bitter/sweet hops...fresh hops, like the hop cones are in the brew!!

F - Very effervescent, dry, dry, dry, crisp

O - Characteristic East Coast fresh hoppiness. Tree House is producing some of the best tasting East Coast ulta-hop flavored brews in the country. "Sap" is no exception. These brews are dry with an extreme fresh hop flavor...grapefruity flavor. Refreshing. Thirst-quenching. Delicious.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not my favorite from Tree House but thoroughly enjoyed this. It is a nice change from the typical Tree House beers. I would get this again when it comes out.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can dated Feb 2016 poured into a Crate and Barrel Snifter.

A: Pours a very hazy amber/orange, with a white foamy head that settled quickly to a thin ring at the edge of the glass leaving behind some impressive lacing.

S: When i first opened the can and poured it i really got the piney/sappy effect they were going for with this but as it opened up, i lost its west coast aromas and picked up very fruity, tropical aromas of citrus, and stone fruits.

T: Not sure of this if right, but i'm picking up strong Nelson like hops that make this beer very tropical and juicy! I do pick up some pine/tree sap like bitterness, but i'm finding this beer very juicy, almost more so than Julius.

M: Fairly heavy body for an ipa, almost like drinking an OJ. Very nice tight bubbles.

O: Very nice! Will definitely seek out again

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I love TH, esp Julius and Haze, but feel they missed it on this one. I really question them taking this from a Christmas beer to a full time offering. After standing in line for 2 hours to get 8 beers, I expected more, especially TH. I have tried 3 of the eight, but just don't get it, my guests will have to drink the other 5

4.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can dated March 2016 poured into a 14 oz water glass.

A: Straw orange color, hazy. White, three-finger head settles quickly into a thin layer and sticky lacing.

S: Full-on peaches. Some citrus, tangerine, melon.

T: Juicy! Tangerine and orange. Slightly piney aftertaste. Total juice bomb. Not sure "Sap" is the best label for this stuff.

M: Very pleasant mouthfeel.

O: Absolutely crushable. Juicy and citrusy but not sweet. Really good.

Sap from Tree House Brewing Company