Oktoberfest - Carolina Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 12 | Reviews: 3
3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Not a good octoberfest. and it's ahrd to mess that style up. I had the sampler and this was one of the samples I had.

appearance: light brown copper color

smell: slight hops

taste: weak for marzen

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: easy but had an aftertaste

3.24/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours an impeccably clear brown in color. Very light carbonation but I think that may have been a result of a loose seal on the growler. Still not too much effect on the mouthfeel was was fairly middle of the road on terms of body and a tad short of being crisp. Flavor is loaded with biscuits that fade pretty quickly. There is an odd finish to the beer that is akin to stale cigarette ash. It only came out after I swallowed and then inhale/exhale. Nose is very mild and some toasted malt tones only. Stil a nice beer overall.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Purchased a growler from the Carolina Brewery the last time I was in town. I figure what the hell, I go there for music enough to make it worthwhile.

appearance: A careful pour creates a thin, fizzy white head that instantly vanishes. The color of the beer is wonderful; a crystal clear light to medium amber with plenty of orange and red hues showing.

smell: Smells distinctively German, though I have no idea what specific characteristics that implies. Bready grains are present. Nice light malty flavors offset by clean, spicy hops.

mouthfeel: Carbonation seems a little high, and the body is light.

taste: Tastes like a good Oktoberfest to me. I've had some that were a little too light in flavor for me, but this one seems to be just right. The same clean, spicy hops present on the nose provide a nice blance here. Finish is clean with a subtle bitterness and very light sweetness remaining.

drinkability: Pretty drinkable, but somewhat filling for reasons unbeknownst to me. I think it may be the carbonation. I want to give it a higher score for drinkability, but cannot for that reason.

to view more.