Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Black Ale

Added by tdm168 on 02-01-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 17
3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours into a becker jet black,no light showing through what so ever,maybe the blackest ABA I have had,a creamy half finger deep beige head atop.Aromas of whoppers malted chocolate balls and some sweet alcohol,the malted milk element of this beer is is really cool,I admit I want more hops.Dry and earthy with bitter chocolate notes on the palate,the piney hops are there but play a smaller role.I tell ya what if this was categorized as an American porter this would be off the charts,an an ABA I gotta rate it lower,the hops are more in the after burps.I love the flavor profile though.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Bottlemixx

A - black with a huge, thick, dark brown head that has great retention

S - very hoppy aroma; piny and bitter with some faint chocolate

T - bitter, piny hops up front followed by a sweet, chocolaty maltiness with some faint roastiness throughout

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated

This is a good offering from Carolina. It is intensely hoppy and bitter, but has an underlying, balancing sweetness. The malts could have been more roasty for my liking, but that's not to say they're bad. Though not perfect, this is a nice black IPA that is worth having again.

Black IPA from Carolina Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.