Breakfast Stout - Backcountry Brewery

American Stout |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 04-13-2004

Reviews by Inflames:
4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

I had a pint of the Breakfast stout with my pizza which wasn't the best combination. But this brew probably doesn't go well with many dishes. This beer is the most coffee tasting beer I have ever had. And I don't see it pairing well with much other than maybe fish.

One of the selling points is the drinkability of this beer, where some breakfast stouts are too heavy, this beer is very thin and easy to enjoy. Which is good and bad I know, because this isn't the right type of mouth feel. This is more of a porter to me than a stout.

I know I kinda of knock this beer in the review but I gave it good marks. My reason for this is because I like the brew but I don't believe it is true to it's style.

4.01/5  rDev -5%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a shaker pint at the brewery.

A- thin frothy khaki head. Pitch-black liquid. 4

S- Bold coffee flavor offers nuttiness, sweet cream, chocolate and light fruitiness. 4.25

T- Follows the nose with nutty, chocolatey coffee flavors and light caramel. Coffee lingers for days. Toffee sweetness shows. 4

M- Light bitterness and light, easy-drinking mouthfeel. Sweetness is there but mellow as is the carbonation. Drinks well. 4

Damn good. I get down.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Holy crap! Wow, coffee much!? This is the stout that I've always wanted when I've purchased or tried anything that says 'coffee' on it. They seem to have put as much as you possibly can in this without over doing it. Very skillful.

A - Black. Long lasting tan head. Looks like a cup of espresso!
T - COFFEE. Sweet. Dry. Toasted bread. not super complex or anything, but has a full range of coffee. The coffee certainly dominates, but that's the point.
M - Clean
D - Good! I guess I could have another pint.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz Bomber from Grapes and Grain in Denver, CO. Bought off a recommendation.

Labeled on BA as an American Stout, but I think its a milk stout based on the bottle description and the taste is kinda of between the two. Warmed to about 50 degrees before opening. Poured in to MSU pint glass (in preparation for the U of M v MSU game this weekend). Paired with ...

A&S: Excellent smell. Pungent with large quantities of chocolate complemented by roasty qualities. Almost smells like a cold brewed mocha. Jet black beer. Thick lines of light tan lacing. Good retention on the head.

T&M: Strikes a nice balanced between sweet and bitter. Very sweet chocolate upfront which fades to roasty midway and finishing bitter, but still refreshing. Quite smooth and silky as far as mouthfeel.

Overall: Impressed by this beer, would buy again. Look forward to trying more from this brewery. Surprisingly low abv, but would work as a great breakfast beer. I probably not the smartest idea to consume this after 11pm, hopeful the amount of caffeine in this beer doesn't keep me up too late.

Interesting side note: I pour a 8oz taster of this beer for my gf, pouring the end of the beer. Not only was it very different in taste and mouthfeel, but also look. I would be wary of this if you are dividing this beer between two people.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Breakfast Stout from Backcountry Brewery