Got Your Back - The Beer Diviner

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thickfreakness on 08-28-2012

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

22 oz bottle, no date.

Tasty, but not sure Id call it an imperial stout. Full bodied like a stout, but not really any roasted flavor. More of the flavor profile of a brown ale or strong dark ale with a bit of coffee.

4.73/5  rDev +23.8%

I must give this beer some love. It's my favorite beer. It wins as #1 coffee stout for me, even over BCBCS, speedway stout, beer geek brunch, and founders breakfast stout. It's inky dark, with a caramel head. It is intensely coffee-flavored, and IMO, very well-balanced. It is heavy beer, but not overly boozy or sweet. It's just smack in your face coffee. The mouth feel is rather nice as well. Only negative: I wish it was distributed near me!

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this bottle purchased in Albany, poured chilled in a stout glass from the bomber shared with tenderbranson69 and KG.

The appearance has a wonderful dark look with cascade tan head with thin retention with ultra fine bead and spots of lace that stick after settling. The smell is mildly roasted with a light cocoa and coffee aroma with light yeast ester adding to the smell with slight coconut dry earthy odor and mild roast wihth subtle sweet malt scent in general. The feel is very full with mild carbonation and light malt texture with smooth and mildly toasted grain feelwith sweet earthy and semi-dry finish.

The taste has a very nice creamy yeast flavor with mild coffee in the middle with a slight pepper fflvaor and mild toasted grain and cocoa quality with slight fruitiness of alcohol with a plum-like taste in the finish. Overall this is a flavorful Imperial stout interesting coffee flavor that contributes to a solid base.

2.31/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Divine? Are you goddamn serious? Things that are divine include (in no particular order) deep dish Chicago style pizza, March Madness, pussy, brownies, blues guitar. There is nothing at all divine about some random ass brewery in the middle of where the fuck ever dumping Folgers grounds into a failed home brew experiment, bottling that shit and selling it to motherfuckers like yours truly.

The beer is dark brown with a long lasting beige cap. The aroma brings a touch of coffee, circus peanuts, hallways, Bethesda Naval Hospital, other intangibles. I wonder if they used enema coffee in this batch, maybe half fresh and half ferociously spewed from a diseased anal cavity.

Flavor is lacking. Coffee presence is muted. Lacking roast and depth. Mediocre at best. Many of my friends have brewed better coffee stouts. Divine - not so much.

I first heard of this brewery and stout at the Joe Bruno stadium Brewfest in Troy, NY this past summer. This was bar-none the best beer of the day, though I will admit I am overall a richer beer fan with my favorite being stout. This is a very dark, creamy, full, rich and sweeter stout. The pour is smooth and the brew is full of coffee, chocolate and malted milk flavors. I went back for about 5 or 6 samples (these guys were very accomodating and friendly and did not mind at all!) because I could not get over how good this was. I got a nice full sample, then lit a flavorful acid crush classic and the combination was magical. This beer made this Brewfest the best one I have been to and my friends and I are still talking about this particular beer and how we can get our hands on some in the capital region of NY.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Review #250!!!

Imperial Stout brewed with oatmeal, decaf Sumatra-French coffee and Maris Otter barley traditionally floor malted in Scotland. 7 Malts, Belgian yeast.

A- Pours a near pitch black into my Bruery tulip. What little head it has, fades almost immediately and leaves just a whisp of tan foam floating around the edge. It lies dead silent... no carbonation at all.

S- This is all about the coffee. Rich, dark, and bitter. Subtle hints of sour dried cherries, dark belgian chocolate, and raisin with some Belgian yeast funk undertones. The depth and balance really open up and come alive as it warms up.

T- It's like eating a chocolate covered cherry and a chocolate espresso bean at the same time! Sour, bitter, fruity, funky and a ton of Belgian dark chocolate. Picking up some notes of the yeast... just a touch of funk coming thru on the back end. Reminds me of Weyerbacher Tiny. Little notes of caramel, black strap molasses, and pumpernickel bread.

M- Not as thick as I would like from a Stout with oatmeal, but not too thin either. Bitter and sour, sweet and rich. Loving the depth of the coffee, tart dark fruit, sweet molasses, and bitter cocoa. It becomes so much more as it warms.

O- Really nice complexity for a $6.99 brew. Lots going on here. I do love a good Belgian Imperial Stout. Looking forward to trying some more from this NY brewery.

Got Your Back from The Beer Diviner
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.