2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alternate Universe - 8th Wonder Brewery

Alternate Universe
No picture uploaded.
good

8th Wonder Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  4.70% ABV

In the Alternate Universe, the malt planets and hops stars align with the yeast sun to create this otherworldly ale. Existing in a parallel dimension somewhere between an Amber ale and a Brown ale, this sublime brew has a malty backbone with a balanced hop bite. Extended conditioning produces a smooth and flavorful lib8ion. This superior ale is never too light, never too dark.

(Beer added by: champ103 on 03-19-2013)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 18 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
RichieBraustubl

4.51/5  rDev +22.6%

Had this at Nobi Public House on 4/31/13.

Appearance - reddish-brown in color. Semi-cloudy, reminds me of a Helles in some respects except its obviously the wrong color and this is an ale. Not a very impressive head, poured about an inch which quickly dissipated.

Smell - malty, light coffee and nutty notes

Taste - Ding Ding Ding, winnah!! I have been to Germany multiple times, and drank a lot of German beer. Anyone who has been would tell you that beer over there tastes different than its imported counter-parts in the US. 8th Wonder is on to something here. I would love to see more traditional style beers from them in the future, as it is rare for a small local brewery to nail a beer like this in one of their initial offerings. Lager this bad boy and raise the ABV and we could easily call this a Märzenbier--really quaffable. This tastes like something you would get from one of the small town breweries around Düsseldorf. Tastes like it smells, but I expected this to be slightly sweeter than it is. I could continue this all day until I couldn't see straight.

Mouthfeel - Light on the palate, perfectly carbonated. I think this is what makes it really taste authentic to me, it's just too drinkable!

Overall - This is an excellent representation of a German altbier. The ABV, taste--well just everything except for appearance is spot on (would like to see more of a head with staying power). Good job guys! Your pale ale is an average beer for me, but this is on a completely different level. I look forward to trying your future offerings.

05-01-2013 16:01:44 | More by RichieBraustubl
Ford

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

On tap at Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas.

Ok, 8th Wonder! This is what I'm talking about. I didn't love Hopston, but I loved this beer.

Smell is nice. Not super strong, but good.

The taste.. well if you like malty, caramelly/toffee goodness.. then this is a beer for you. I certainly love those things.

I will be revisiting this one often. Can't wait to make it up for a tour in the near future to check out the brewery and have another one of these.

My review on the Ford Delicious Scale... Delicious!

Good start 8th Wonder. Glad to have another option in Houston!

04-21-2013 13:44:48 | More by Ford
champ103

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Cottonwood.

A: Pours a clear ruby brown color. At first a two finger beige head rises, and recedes in a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt. Toasted and caramel malts. A nutty aroma as well. Very simple. Though enjoyable.
T: Again, this is very simple. Just some sweet malts. Caramel mainly, and a nutty almond kind of flavor.
M/D: A very thin body. Moderate carbonation, but thin and watery. Not hard to drink some if I wanted to. Very low ABV, and can be drunk in bunches.

Not bad, just not that interesting either. A very low ABV, which I love. That and the simple nature of the beer makes this poundable. Though does not match up at all with Hops & Grain for an Alt, or many other easy drinking beers regardless of style in the area.

03-19-2013 14:41:47 | More by champ103